Author Topic: Draft Towers  (Read 320444 times)

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
Re: Draft Towers
« Reply #5680 on: September 22, 2022, 02:59:18 pm »
Yeah, the 60s and 70s make sense together, although that means most of Billy Wilder's best work goes out the window.  :(

So, what about the categories and quotas, some will have to change or even be removed, won't they? The blockbusters and indie quotas especially. There are lots of great foreign films and directors, but those are more for the cinephiles I would think. 

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5681 on: September 22, 2022, 03:05:18 pm »
I'd say keep the foreign film requirement but ditch the family/animated category (or tie it to musicals) and the budgetary requirements. I guess if people feel strongly about it we can change foreign language to non-US film. I don't think the rest of the categories need changing much.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5682 on: September 22, 2022, 04:46:44 pm »
I've had a quick scan of the categories via Letterboxd and all look surprisingly good across the board. Animation/Family is slightly weaker, but it still has some Disney classics to lean on. Maybe adjoining it with musicals is a smart idea though. It's not like we've been lining up to pick musicals in the comedy category anyway!

I'm definitely for the foreign language requirement. Haven't looked into the differences of making it non-US though. How do you define non-US? Is it the director's nationality?

Another curve ball idea - since we're unlikely to do any more drafts that cover years before these - maybe this time the wildcard or an additional category could be any film from before 1960? That way Lastrador gets his Billy Wilder fix  :D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5683 on: September 22, 2022, 04:58:20 pm »
For non-US film, I meant counting stuff from the UK/Australia/Canada/etc. But I'd prefer foreign language, lots of great, great films there for these decades.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #5684 on: September 22, 2022, 07:10:49 pm »
I'd still prefer to open up the pre-1960 decades, especially if we are picking a musical, but whatever is decided is OK.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5685 on: September 22, 2022, 07:50:12 pm »
I'd be struggling with foreign films from the era (I know there's quite a few really famous ones but I've not seen most of them) but happy either way.

Betty's idea about a pre-1960's category is a good one, or at least, allow people the option to pick a film from before 1960.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5686 on: September 22, 2022, 07:59:06 pm »
I might struggle with foreign language movie once some of the more obvious ones are taken.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5687 on: September 22, 2022, 08:27:44 pm »
I might struggle with foreign language movie once some of the more obvious ones are taken.

If a lot of people feel this way about the foreign film category, maybe we could mix it with another that would be more difficult to fill. The two that are easier to fill in more recent decades are Horror/Sci-fi and Animation/Family, so maybe add it to one of those or combine all those in some way. If we do that, we could add a second wild card, maybe, to take its place.

Either way, I think it's possible to figure out a way to let people who love old films choose them while allowing people who don't to avoid them.

Betty's idea about a pre-1960's category is a good one, or at least, allow people the option to pick a film from before 1960.

Or this instead  ;D  It's a good idea.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5688 on: September 22, 2022, 08:38:21 pm »
I'd still prefer to open up the pre-1960 decades, especially if we are picking a musical, but whatever is decided is OK.

I'm with you on pre-1960s, but it seems like most others aren't as comfortable in those decades.

If we did open up pre-1960s, even as just one pick, it would help the foreign language category a lot though. Maybe that solves the problem?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5689 on: September 22, 2022, 11:15:07 pm »
I'm with you on pre-1960s, but it seems like most others aren't as comfortable in those decades.

If we did open up pre-1960s, even as just one pick, it would help the foreign language category a lot though. Maybe that solves the problem?

It might help others, Betts. I don't have a problem with the foreign language category - I could definitely fill a whole list with foreign films  ;D I just love old films and would love to pick them, but it's not a big deal.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #5690 on: September 24, 2022, 12:58:18 pm »
Let's just crack on. There's not enough discerning posters and voters anyway as can be evidenced by some of the winners and losers in previous drafts. It's just a bit of personal fun and allows us to revisit or be introduced to, movies of all genres. Going back to 60's/70's takes out blockbusters and horror/sci-fi is thin on the ground but there are some genres that can be split for these decades. For example, thriller and crime could be their own categories. Or add in a foreign films category where we'll be spoilt for choice. Whatever it is, get on with it so we finish before the season resumes
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 01:00:04 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #5691 on: September 25, 2022, 10:03:44 am »
Yeah we should split up action/war/western/crime/thriller into more than two categories. Those genres are always strong and even more so pre-1980s.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5692 on: September 26, 2022, 04:52:42 pm »
BUMP

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5693 on: September 27, 2022, 10:07:35 pm »
Momentum has gone hasn't it?  :D

At least we got the 3 main decades in terms of our movie love and knowledge done in quick succession.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5694 on: September 28, 2022, 03:18:35 pm »
Sorry for going AWOL lads. I'm going on a trip next week with the missus, and between all the planning and work I haven't been able to be around here much. Because of said trip, I won't be able to run the draft, but if anyone wants to do it they are welcome to do it. If not, and you'll don't mind waiting for a month, we can do it in November when I come back.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5695 on: September 28, 2022, 05:28:24 pm »
So the manager draft until Las is back from victimising the Welsh again?  :wave

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5696 on: October 1, 2022, 09:58:22 pm »
Sorry for going AWOL lads. I'm going on a trip next week with the missus, and between all the planning and work I haven't been able to be around here much. Because of said trip, I won't be able to run the draft, but if anyone wants to do it they are welcome to do it. If not, and you'll don't mind waiting for a month, we can do it in November when I come back.

No worries mate, we've got plenty of time when the World Cup starts (or any time before that the way this season is going ;D)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5697 on: October 9, 2022, 09:24:20 pm »
This place has gone nuts. When do we start?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5698 on: October 9, 2022, 11:03:39 pm »
I foresee a new age is upon us.  It might not be Golden but the Silver Age might not be so bad.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5699 on: October 22, 2022, 04:56:47 pm »
OK seriously, someone sort something out.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #5700 on: October 24, 2022, 03:16:13 pm »
New draft to cover the next couple weeks while we hide in grief:

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=353226.0

Diamond Anniversary Draft (1962 - 2022) - SIGN UP NOW!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5701 on: December 16, 2022, 04:52:20 pm »
Next draft:

Seria A Draft V3.0 (90's) Edition.  ;D

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5702 on: December 18, 2022, 10:25:05 am »
Nice. Also need to do a 10's movie draft at some point.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5703 on: December 18, 2022, 08:28:00 pm »
Holidays now ,more people will get time off.

Any player that made more than 50 appearances for a Seria A side in the 90's is eligible.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5704 on: December 18, 2022, 08:44:17 pm »
50? I was gonna make it 100 but 50's alright.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 08:58:16 pm by Who Wants To Play Baby Hazell's Xmas Dress Up? »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5705 on: December 18, 2022, 09:18:28 pm »
Go ahead mate. All yours.  I don;t want to run it anyway. :D  :wave

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5706 on: December 18, 2022, 09:45:41 pm »
Sorry, was a bad reference to The Office more than a serious post :P

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5707 on: December 18, 2022, 09:46:51 pm »
Run it anyway with your stipulations ofcourse.  :wave

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5708 on: December 18, 2022, 09:48:01 pm »
Looks like it's just you and me at this rate.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5709 on: December 18, 2022, 10:17:33 pm »
Holidays now ,more people will get time off.

Any player that made more than 50 appearances for a Seria A side in the 90's is eligible.

Everyone knows the time to draft is work hours? I forgot to vote for myself in a final during the holidays. :wanker

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5710 on: December 18, 2022, 10:25:04 pm »
This is Seria A in the 90's Draft, if you don't vote in this you're a heathen.  :D

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5711 on: December 19, 2022, 08:01:53 pm »
So...

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5712 on: December 19, 2022, 09:49:42 pm »
Next draft:

Go on then, count me in

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5713 on: December 20, 2022, 12:22:30 pm »
Looks like it's just you and me at this rate.

I'll have a draft with you Hazell
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #5714 on: December 20, 2022, 12:41:34 pm »
Let's go.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5715 on: December 20, 2022, 01:39:30 pm »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5716 on: December 20, 2022, 05:27:31 pm »
I am down for any draft too over the next two weeks or so.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5717 on: December 20, 2022, 05:47:17 pm »
Maxwell comes out of hiding finally.  Those Canadians really did humiliate you at the World Cup mate. :D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5718 on: December 20, 2022, 06:25:22 pm »
Next draft:

only every serie a draft is a 90s edition ffs!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5719 on: December 20, 2022, 06:29:54 pm »
 ;D

How about World Cup Losers Draft? Only pick players who were in the squad and lost a World Cup Final(s).