Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 564050 times)

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #11320 on: April 24, 2024, 12:06:40 am »
Maybe that's the manager we should be after then. What's he up to?
Welll established they got there due to the insanely talented young squad. They lost that semi however due to Ten Hag. Game management that wouldn't be out of place in a Sunday pub league.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #11321 on: April 24, 2024, 12:09:35 am »
CBCVBCVV" border="0
It’s like I’m looking in the mirror in 1992
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11322 on: April 24, 2024, 12:09:43 am »
Find it mind blowing that one of the biggest football clubs in the world is looking for a manager and the list is Amorim, De Zerbi and Slot.

Fairly confident none of these fellas would be near Manchester City if Pep walked away tomorrow.

So what will your list be then?

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #11323 on: April 24, 2024, 12:11:14 am »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedSetGo

• Anny Roader
  • The Lord Jesus Saves.
« Reply #11324 on: April 24, 2024, 12:11:44 am »
I'm not pretending to know how managerial pursuit work but I'd imagine there is an interview process where character and fit are judged. These are two traits that won't be evident from a distance. It's quite possible that both Slot and Almorim were brought over for interview and Almorim simply hasn't demonstrated that he has the right personality for the job whereas Slot has.

✅

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11325 on: April 24, 2024, 12:14:27 am »
I wouldn't be shocked if Kuyt came in as part of his staff. Ex-player and they seem to know eachother from Feyenoord. It seems like a natural move.

Kuyt could teach a few of our attackers tricks on how to be an elite wide forward. Especially the art of tracking back. Not to forget the skill of winning headers up against the oppositions full back.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 12:16:28 am by Andar »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #11326 on: April 24, 2024, 12:15:28 am »
It's all been a bit depressing the last few weeks hasn't it, let's tonk Everton and cheer ourselves up
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11327 on: April 24, 2024, 12:15:33 am »
Welll established they got there due to the insanely talented young squad. They lost that semi however due to Ten Hag. Game management that wouldn't be out of place in a Sunday pub league.

Tells you that maybe just looking purely at results in Europe is a limited way of judging a manager's likely success here though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11328 on: April 24, 2024, 12:16:20 am »
Kloppp had an aura, and was a draw in himself. Instant respect amongst top-tier players, a big advantage both in the dressing room and when recruiting. Alonso, as much as you hate the thought, would have the same. Amorim less so but certainly more than Slot.

Recruitment is a concern though, and I hope our scouting network and empowered nerds ensure they run the show here, so we avoid the Ten Hag methodology. In other words, post-Klopp, he needs to be much more of a coach than a manager.

Re the bolded bit: why's that, Rossi?

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11329 on: April 24, 2024, 12:16:25 am »
He's Dutch. Arrogance is a given, practically a genetic trait.
Like Steve McLaren
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11330 on: April 24, 2024, 12:16:37 am »
Kuyt would be a massive help from a symbolic point of view,  someone who knows the club and the expectations and who the fans can get behind. That can help if we lose a couple of games on the bounce.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #11331 on: April 24, 2024, 12:24:50 am »
Looks like the Slotter is a dead cert then?

Still personally think another might have been a good appointment. But the Slotter is exciting as well!
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11332 on: April 24, 2024, 12:26:41 am »
Folks - don’t take it the wrong way (don’t mean to be a killjoy), but maybe simmer down a bit on the cheap bald gags. I think we’re getting past ribbing over physical appearance. You never know if it affects someone on here. I also have a loved one with cancer that has lost all her hair, so it does make me wince a bit each time. Whilst I only find it tiresome like the Joe Gomez “shoot” chants, I don’t find it particularly funny or creative. I’m sure we’re capable of better than these cheap gags. It’s not really much different to mocking skin colour or body shape to be honest.

For the record, I think Arne looks great as he is and comes across brilliantly in interviews on YT.

Said my piece - as you were 🙏
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11333 on: April 24, 2024, 12:31:26 am »
Re the bolded bit: why's that, Rossi?
Decade as an established Benfica player and Portuguese international.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11334 on: April 24, 2024, 12:33:07 am »
I wouldn't be shocked if Kuyt came in as part of his staff. Ex-player and they seem to know eachother from Feyenoord. It seems like a natural move.

Kuyt could teach a few of our attackers tricks on how to be an elite wide forward. Especially the art of tracking back. Not to forget the skill of winning headers up against the oppositions full back.
Kuyt would be a massive help from a symbolic point of view,  someone who knows the club and the expectations and who the fans can get behind. That can help if we lose a couple of games on the bounce.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 12:35:16 am by rossipersempre »

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #11335 on: April 24, 2024, 12:46:59 am »
Not bad, Conference League final, Europa 1/4 final. Big negative, his team lost to Celtic in a CL group game albeit they had nothing to play for.

If they had nothing to play for, why is it a big negative?

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11337 on: April 24, 2024, 12:52:48 am »
Some are questioning if he'd be able to handle the personalities of our squad, having seen the frictions between Ten Haag and his players.

But then again, we don't sign players who are uber c****. I can't say there are players as lazy or entitled as Sancho and Rashford or have a history of domestic or sexual abuse like Antony or Greenwood.

I dont think our squad would go out their way to actively disrespect a manager. But if he doesn't fill them with confidence in the way Klopp has, then there might be a lack of faith which can happen to even the most well rounded and motivated players. In fairness to Slot, this is the biggest risk for anyone succeeding Klopp and maybe makes it most clear why he's irreplaceable.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 12:56:08 am by mattD »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11338 on: April 24, 2024, 12:52:53 am »
Arne Slot appears to fit the mould of a "Head Coach" whose priority is on the training pitch, which Liverpool want, rather than a manager in their new structure lead by Michael Edwards and Richard Hughes. [@JBurtTelegraph]

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #11339 on: April 24, 2024, 12:56:31 am »

Cool who’s doing media duties / being the face of the club ?

This would make more sense if there wasn’t a total public vacuum above whoever the manager is

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #11340 on: April 24, 2024, 01:00:34 am »
The personality of the new manager is going to be massive. Like it or not, the only way you can win trophies is if you can motivate the players to a) carry out your strategy and b) not give up when the going gets tough.

Make no mistake, they new guy will need it all. ETH has the tactical knowhow but he can't handle the players so now nothing he does works.

Does Slot have the personality to handle big players? At the moment the difference in the two squads is massive and it will be a huge question mark. The media is another thing, the scrutiny will be 1000x.

One plus is that many of our seniors have left or will leave in the next 13months leaving a younger core.

I agree about the personality thing in terms of getting the players on board (and if Klopp's time has taught us anything also the supporters). I don't really see the big issue with "handling" the players. From what we can tell from the outside we don't have this element of troublemaker-, diva-, superstar- or whatever you want to call it type of players. We seem to have players who are much more down to earth so to speak. Leaders like van Dijk or players who haven't forgotten where they've come from like Robbo. That's not to say that there won't be any issues, but our recruiting in recent years seems to also have been based a lot on the mentality of the players. We don't need a new manager to come in and throw shoes at players to get them in line. We need a manager who can start building a relationship with the team and work with them, while of course having his own ideas and implementing them with his staff and getting the players to buy into those ideas.

I think that's where we're different from Man Utd. They had Moyes come in, who was the completely wrong guy for the job. He's a great manager for a low- to mid-table team that wants to overachieve. He's not the right manager for a big club, where there are huge expectations in terms of having success and also achieving that success in a certain way. In addition to that, their player recruitment has just been a shambles for most of the time since Ferguson left. In comparison we've been doing some good stuff in terms of recruitment by getting the right players for the right price. We need to keep that up.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11341 on: April 24, 2024, 01:01:04 am »
In other words, post-Klopp, he needs to be much more of a coach than a manager.
Arne Slot appears to fit the mould of a "Head Coach" whose priority is on the training pitch, which Liverpool want, rather than a manager in their new structure lead by Michael Edwards and Richard Hughes. [@JBurtTelegraph]
Makes sense. Seems clear now who is running the show and would explain why Amorim has fallen through.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 01:03:11 am by rossipersempre »

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11342 on: April 24, 2024, 01:08:22 am »
Cool who’s doing media duties / being the face of the club ?

This would make more sense if there wasn’t a total public vacuum above whoever the manager is

The head coach. Similar to how it works at every club who has a "head coach" rather than a "manager", I presume  ???
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11343 on: April 24, 2024, 01:11:05 am »
MAte, Clubs in Portugal are data driven and Sporting hasa team led by Hugo Vianna as their Sporting Director. Amorim can't think he'd be in charge of the recruitment here at a much bigger club? I'm sure he;d get a say but they won;t be given Klopp level powers until they prove themselves.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #11344 on: April 24, 2024, 01:16:07 am »
Maybe that's the manager we should be after then. What's he up to?
Breaking record after record at his current club. Not too bad if you ask me  8)

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #11345 on: April 24, 2024, 01:19:19 am »
Been watching some interviews of him in English and I must say he comes across very different to Ten Haag. His personality is quite a bit different.

Ten Haag never struck me as someone who would be great at managing players and their personalities. But my first impression of Slot in his interviews is the complete opposite of that.
YWNA

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11346 on: April 24, 2024, 01:24:22 am »
Ten Hag, Van Gaal, Martin Jol, Dick Advocaat, Ronald Koeman, Ruud Gullit, Guus Hiddink, Frank De Boer, Rene Meulensteen
We can be the first PL club to make it work properly with a dutch manager
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11348 on: April 24, 2024, 01:35:57 am »
If it’s Slot, bring it on. Good luck to the fella. Maybe Amorim was a little guilty of believing his own hype and asked for too much? And at that point it sort of rubbed us up the wrong way? He would have got a lot more at LFC than he’s ever seen in his life, and if he did well here a new and improved deal would have been negotiated. Hard to say what happened.

Whoever it is, bring it on. I’m confident we are running a thorough process, and if it leads to Slot, good luck that man!

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11349 on: April 24, 2024, 01:41:38 am »
A question for anyone who knows how these things work more than I do: will Edwards et al have run this by VVD or any other players? I imagine he, Gakpo, and Grav could have sounded out any of their friends back home about Slot, and brought up any red flags they might have heard of. And if VVD gives him the thumbs up, that should pretty much take care of the whole "player respect" thing right away.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11350 on: April 24, 2024, 01:49:22 am »
He doesn't come off as neurotic or insecure like the cheat Guardiola, his lackey Arteta or out of control substitute teacher Ten Haag.

Speaks well, articulate with authority. Good first impressions. Let's see how he deals with the whoppers in England though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:05:54 am by mattD »

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11351 on: April 24, 2024, 01:57:00 am »
Just not comfortable at all with the ‘head coach’ approach. Has it ever worked in England?

We also really need to sort Trent’s contract.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11352 on: April 24, 2024, 01:57:32 am »
Folks - don’t take it the wrong way (don’t mean to be a killjoy), but maybe simmer down a bit on the cheap bald gags. I think we’re getting past ribbing over physical appearance. You never know if it affects someone on here. I also have a loved one with cancer that has lost all her hair, so it does make me wince a bit each time. Whilst I only find it tiresome like the Joe Gomez “shoot” chants, I don’t find it particularly funny or creative. I’m sure we’re capable of better than these cheap gags. It’s not really much different to mocking skin colour or body shape to be honest.

For the record, I think Arne looks great as he is and comes across brilliantly in interviews on YT.

Said my piece - as you were 🙏

I am astonished by this to be honest, is it the age of the posters?

We need a bit more class than these cheap barbs on the physical appearance of someone.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Online The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11354 on: April 24, 2024, 02:08:54 am »
Haven't watched a single game since Chelsea twatted us in the transfer market last summer and presumably we're miles behind.  Started getting ready for next season and fuck me if West Ham haven't already humiliated us in "New Manager Search".  Another season written off.  See you in 2025 :no.

stick to lacrosse

Offline RedSetGo

• Anny Roader
  • The Lord Jesus Saves.
« Reply #11355 on: April 24, 2024, 02:11:36 am »
Don't know if this has been posted already...

Van Basten on Slot, especially on how he would even be better at a bigger club.

“I think Slot is really good. I hope he stays in the Netherlands longer because it enriches Dutch football,” he told Ziggo Sport.

“He can really go anywhere: Bayern Munich, Liverpool… I’m convinced of that. I hope he stays in the Netherlands, but I am convinced he can do it anywhere. I’ve spoken to him a few times, and he handles the players very well. Of course, he is also very well-versed tactically.

“He can explain his ideas well; he is calm and intelligent. He is a top trainer. I think he can go to any club, even difficult clubs. He is very smart in his choice of words.”

“He has a lot of qualities and he shows it at every level. He first did it at AZ, and now at Feyenoord. And Feyenoord is a really complicated club. He has been doing well for three years, while PSV and Ajax have much more options in terms of money.

“He could really fit anywhere. If you get AZ and Feyenoord to play football, you also get big clubs like AC Milan to play football. You can clearly see his hand where he is the coach.

“I think it will even be easier for him at a higher level because he has better players who understand his ideas faster. I also think he is smart enough to manage stubborn players.”
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:13:11 am by RedSetGo »

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11356 on: April 24, 2024, 02:12:40 am »
Been watching some interviews of him in English and I must say he comes across very different to Ten Haag. His personality is quite a bit different.

Ten Haag never struck me as someone who would be great at managing players and their personalities. But my first impression of Slot in his interviews is the complete opposite of that.

Looks like he has a lot more charisma, for sure.

Seven Egg is a total robot.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11357 on: April 24, 2024, 02:26:39 am »
But really what are his hugs like?
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline PaleBlueDot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11358 on: April 24, 2024, 02:57:55 am »
Makes sense. Seems clear now who is running the show and would explain why Amorim has fallen through.

The talk of Amorim wanting more managerial power or wanting more salary than Klopp (really?!) are obviously faff.

The reality is more - probably during the interview - that they've asked if he could be more flexible with his formation and he swore by his style of play. We've probably taken a step back and thought this will probably require 4-5 signings and thought; too expensive.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11359 on: April 24, 2024, 03:11:44 am »
It’s like I’m looking in the mirror in 1992
That's me in 1977.  LOL
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?