Author Topic: Android smartwatches and wearable devices  (Read 2683 times)

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
Android smartwatches and wearable devices
« on: March 18, 2014, 06:44:32 pm »
Google is finally getting serious about them, announcing Android Wear. LG and Motorola have also announced their first models.

The Moto 360 looks pretty good, to be honest:  :o

"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Android smartwatches and wearable devices
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:46:44 pm »
Yeah seen that Motorola one earlier, I like the look of round faced ones than the big boxy ones others have gone for so far.

Should be interesting when Apple release details on theirs sometime this year, apparently going to include a whole load of health sensors and they normally go all out on design.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:50:22 pm »
Seem a bit pointless to me...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:54:46 pm »
Seem a bit pointless to me...

But then most people said this about camera phones, smart phones, etc.

The first ones will be raw and probably a little featureless in most cases, however I am sure they'll add a huge amount of features to them over time.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:13:32 pm »
But then most people said this about camera phones, smart phones, etc.

The first ones will be raw and probably a little featureless in most cases, however I am sure they'll add a huge amount of features to them over time.
I didn't.

First time I used an iPhone it was clearly an enormous step forwards.....

Don't see the point in these
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:25 pm »
I'll be on the band wagon. Hate having to carry a phone every where so If I can pick up SMS/emails on a device I would be wearing regardless then great.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 07:46:19 pm »
I didn't.

You weren't most people then, but most people did  ;D

Health sensors on something you constantly wear around your wrist, music controls to pause/change track in the car without going to look at your phone, a more 'clever' watch which can show details current watches can't, directions without having to have your phone out in front of you looking like a tool.

That's just quickly off the top of my head, probably loads I've not even thought of.

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 08:05:48 pm »
I didn't.

You don't see the point in something that looks exactly like a normal watch but gives you at a glance information without having to get your phone out of your pocket? If you are talking about massive watches you make calls on or take pictures on costing several hundred quid I would agree, but something like that moto 360 looks great, if they can make it for less than 100 quid then I say it is pretty much indispensable.

Offline Swoop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 08:08:36 pm »
Got to have fucking big wrists to wear one of those:-)
Its a dogs life for me

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:24:26 pm »
Got to have fucking big wrists to wear one of those:-)

Apparently making various different sizes.

If you take the old iPod Nano as an example, that had a 1.5" screen, if that was round then wouldn't be much/any bigger than a lot of Men's watches out there.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:36:32 pm »
Would be nice just to be able to control the music player on my phone without having to get it out. That's about all I need

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 12:48:18 pm »
Resurrecting the antiquated watch, eh?

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 10:29:44 pm »
I think a lot of people are put off wearable tech because they don't want to look like a twat talking to their wrist or wearing stupid camera glasses which is understandable but as long as they just build useful features such as health monitoring, caller/message/email alerts into the watches, keep battery life high and looking like a watch rather than making them into a mini smartphone then it's a win win for me.

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 04:56:22 pm »
I'm surprised this thread is not more busier. Is there another thread out there that i'm not aware of?

Looking for recommendation for a watch that looks nice, but also has GPS for tracking purposes
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 09:32:53 am »
Looking for recommendation for a watch that looks nice, but also has GPS for tracking purposes

I got the Huawei smartwatch 2 about 3 or 4 months ago when it was offer on Amazon and I really like it. The reason I got it was I that I wanted a smart watch but didn't want one with a rubber strap. Not sure how packed with features it is compared to other smart watches but it does all I need it to do. Its really just an extension of your phone. So allows you to view whatsapp messages come through and reply but obviously the keyboard is small, answer calls, skip tracks on spotify and other media players, it has the "OK google" stuff for setting timers etc, tracks exercise and steps, that sort of thing.

Battery is decent. Comes with like a magnetic charging port so each night it just sits on there and charges. I guess it lasts a good couple of days. But again not sure how this compares to other smart watches.

Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 05:27:28 pm »
I'm surprised this thread is not more busier. Is there another thread out there that i'm not aware of?

Most of the smartwatches have customisable faces.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 10:12:13 am »
Thanks chaps, I've just seen the Honor one that has just been launched. It looks very nice.

I'm more interested in the Fitness aspect, mainly GPS.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 7, 2020, 07:59:12 pm »
Can anyone recommend a smart watch for under £100? Looking for one that has a heart rate monitor and gps if possible. Been looking at the amazfit bip but seems difficult to get hold of from a UK seller.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 7, 2020, 08:18:18 pm »
Can anyone recommend a smart watch for under £100? Looking for one that has a heart rate monitor and gps if possible. Been looking at the amazfit bip but seems difficult to get hold of from a UK seller.

You didn't check Amazon did you  ;D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/node/17746854031?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Amazfit&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_17746854031
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill