Author Topic: THE 2022 EUROPEAN CUP FINAL - Liverpool v Real Madrid, Paris SAT 28 MAY 8PM  (Read 72517 times)

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Happy Istanbul day everyone!

In line with the epic op, and your prompt there mate. Them days under Rafa were great wasn’t they? The Spanish themed songs in the ground worked so well and proper got you up for it, bouncing to the Torres song, Ra Ra Rafa Benitez, Luis García, best midfield in the world (not Spanish but boss af) Johnny cash, was ace.

Offline King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
Please don't be crazy. Luis Diaz is a must from the beginning.

Starting forward lineup should be:

Diaz  Mane  Salah

But you play Bobby you have a 4th midfielder and can control Modric better. Also means Diaz comes on against tired legs

Exactly what i'm thinking. in the 2 cup finals we appear to be running on empty. should this go the distance a fresh Diaz could run riot. I didn't see any injection of energy when Bobby came on last in the FA Cup final.

He may be better placed to start than coming off the bench, and to control midfield if Thiago is out.

No doubt am i doubting Diaz quality though.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Great writing, fuck Madrid! Let's go smashing them!
Believer

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
You're in for a surprise.

This is going to be close.

Agree, this is going to be potentially be three hours of nail biting. The shithousery will reach new heights in this game - Real Madrid know they need to slow things down and break up our rhythm cue Vinicus, Casemiro, Benzema, Carvajal diving, faking injuries, surrounding refs, etc. to the stop play.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
Agree, this is going to be potentially be three hours of nail biting. The shithousery will reach new heights in this game - Real Madrid know they need to slow things down and break up our rhythm cue Vinicus, Casemiro, Benzema, Carvajal diving, faking injuries, surrounding refs, etc. to the stop play.

We're the better team but other factors involved make it pretty much a 50-50. One of them is playing the power that is Real Madrid and also that it is a final and not a 2 legged tie. Unless you look at this game strictly through numbers, individual quality and the tactical blueprint of both sides then we win by a few, but no point turning a blind eye to their power in the CL as it isn't some fairy nonsense about that club and this competition. We of all people should know. We have an aura with the European Cup/CL but they are on another stratosphere.

Injuries and freshness (especially if into extra time) have to be considered too. Another factor is that their strengths take advantage of our weaknesses, and we fail to take advantage of theirs. The individual quality difference will be neutralised if that were the case.

Many factors make this for a close one.

Think one goal settles it either way or penalties again  :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:01:34 am by Andar »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Blimey! Just read that the ref's name is Turpin .

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
That's him Kavah,mate! ;)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
They play a similar way to how we do (or used to?), where they'll just leave Vinicius Junior up top with Benzema slightly deeper.  So he'll always be attacking the space that Trent vacates, so I think Konate does make more sense than Matip.  But if we work it right, it also means and lot of shuffling over to cover Trent from their ageing midfield.

They're also excellent at playing out from the back through pressure.  They work really nice little triangles and that's something we need to be aware of.  Against City and Chelsea, they'd suddenly beat the press and have Modric steaming through midfield in acres of space.

Really need Thiago and Fabinho fit and available.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
It's going to be a long and jumpy few days.

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
When do the boys fly out there? Tomorrow?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
They're also excellent at playing out from the back through pressure.  They work really nice little triangles and that's something we need to be aware of.  Against City and Chelsea, they'd suddenly beat the press and have Modric steaming through midfield in acres of space.

Their pace and directness on beating the press is the big worry - and my fear is how a not fully fit Fabinho handles that. I think he's at his best as a controller and in more congested midfield battles; less so against sides who break and move the ball sharply, which can highlight his one key weakness - a lack of elite pace/athleticism. When he's fatigued or not fully fit, even his reading of the play doesn't quite make up for it, leaving him a split second behind the ball or tugging at the shirt of the man beating him. But he's better suited to dealing with Benzema dropping off than Henderson.

Fitness and legginess generally across midfield is a worry. On quality and form, though Keita-Fabinho-Thiago has been emerging as perhaps the first choice midfield, I can't see Henderson not starting this one. On balance, if I had to choose Thiago or Fabinho to be fit enough to start, it would be Thiago. But I know nothing and don't see the fitness metrics or how they look in training. Happy with any selection that gets put out.

Matip or Konate feels like a toss-up; see pros and cons for either choice (if he'd had more games, Gomez would be possibly the best matchup to counter Vinicius specifically).

Upfront, I'd expect Diaz-Mane-Salah. As ever, our best answer to a good attacking side is pinning them back and taking our own chances. Mane is playing well, Diaz can stretch them (a little sharper end product on the biggest stage would be useful). The argument for bringing Diaz on against tired legs could equally be applied to bringing on Firmino to pick out the gaps that emerge late in a game. Need Salah to step up. Hasn't looked bad recently at all; there may be some truth in the balance being slightly different since Diaz came in, but it feels like an awfully long time since he connected truly with a curler from the edge of the box.

Somewhere, at some point, Curtis Jones to do something massive.

As I said, I know fuck all.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:40:33 am by redmark »
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
Just read that Turpin was the 4th official in the 2018 Final, so he's obviously from the Dick Turpin branch rather than the Ben Turpin one. He was instrumental in that scandal of a game. Hope someone reminds him.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
They play a similar way to how we do (or used to?), where they'll just leave Vinicius Junior up top with Benzema slightly deeper.  So he'll always be attacking the space that Trent vacates, so I think Konate does make more sense than Matip.  But if we work it right, it also means and lot of shuffling over to cover Trent from their ageing midfield.

This is true but they also got into huge amounts of trouble against both of them trying to play out

For me the defining unit of this final is madrids back line and especially their centre backs - they’re phenomenally bad relative to the level of the fixture, they make passing mistakes, positional mistakes and they’re not good one on one or that good in the air. (Other than that there’s great :)) Militao especially seems to have no idea when to push out or go to a man and when not to and relies on his pace to defend. 
I’m not sure they’re even bottom third of the premier league standard centre backs

They’ve conceded 47 expected goals in la liga - that’s horrific for a team that dominates the ball in most games
They were also pretty battered in various portions of all the knock out games by worse attacks than ours

They can cause us problems with the ball but they’re going to have a very long 90 minutes at the back.
I’d he surprised if we didn’t rack up 2+ xg in the 90 and it’s very hard to win games when you’re conceding like that
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:55:08 am by JackWard33 »

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
Exactly what i'm thinking. in the 2 cup finals we appear to be running on empty. should this go the distance a fresh Diaz could run riot. I didn't see any injection of energy when Bobby came on last in the FA Cup final.

He may be better placed to start than coming off the bench, and to control midfield if Thiago is out.

No doubt am i doubting Diaz quality though.

Diaz is the in form man he HAS to start if he didnt and we went 2-0 down we'd regret it.

I am with Samie in his 3 up front.

I do see why people would play Bobby but he isnt in vintage form and it would be a huge gamble one I dont think Klopp will take.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
When do the boys fly out there? Tomorrow?
I would say so yes

I know someone who is meeting Alisson today so presume tomorrow after training
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Diaz argument - would you rather have 80-90 mins of Diaz (starting) or maybe 30-60 (as a sub and maybe extra time).

I get the tired legs thing, however.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Confidence has gone a bit with the way the league panned out and the injury to Thiago IMO. Hopefully that's just some of the fans and not the squad!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline scutty

• Kopite
  • Know nothing.
Didn't realise just how under qualified with little to no experience our club has when it comes to the champions league final.

We really are up against it, playing the mighty Real Madrid.

Before I read some of the post in here I had it in my head that We are Liverpool fc and we will  tear the Spanish waiters a new one.

Oh well..
Why was my post deleted?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
I would say so yes

I know someone who is meeting Alisson today so presume tomorrow after training

Didn't we fly out on the Friday against Spurs?  It was something they put down to winning, they said they flew too early the year before and got caught up in it all.

Against Spurs they flew out late, got in, did their job, went home.

Offline TheMan

• Main Stander
Folks, would you lose a bit of respect for Xabi if he was secretly rooting for Real? I think I would a bit. He won't say anything publicly apart from that he respects both sides so hard to gauge.

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
Folks, would you lose a bit of respect for Xabi if he was secretly rooting for Real? I think I would a bit. He won't say anything publicly apart from that he respects both sides so hard to gauge.

No. Played for both Clubs but he is Spanish at the end of the day. Great Player.  :)

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
No. My respect for players is based on what they did for us as players. I don't tend to get irritated by ex-players being critical or saying something controversial when employed as a pundit or whatever. They're entitled to their opinions and their own preferences (and whatever they need to do in their jobs).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Xink

• Main Stander
Diaz is the in form man he HAS to start if he didnt and we went 2-0 down we'd regret it.

I am with Samie in his 3 up front.

I do see why people would play Bobby but he isnt in vintage form and it would be a huge gamble one I dont think Klopp will take.

Bobby looks like hes gonna need some time to get back up to speed - I'd prefer if he wasnt needed at all at the weekend to be honest -

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
We just need to steamroller the fuck out of them all over the park. That Benzema quote - if I'm certain members of our squad and I see that, I'm out to humiliate these c*nts.

I think that was pretty astute headgames by RM.

Basically Madrid are a "poorer" team in terms of overall speed and quality to say, City, Chelsea, ourselves, but they have defended extrememly well in addition to some horribly wasteful finishing and have shown they are lethal on the break making a very small number of shots count. At any point in 3 rounds of knockouts against PSG, Chelsea & City, they were out if any number of strikers had taken even a single one of the great chances against them. RM are mentally tough, well organised and will score if you give them the chance.

We are fast, aggressive and like to play football in the opponents half. Our attempts to goal ratio is..... not amazing and, while we play an excellent high line, we have a tendancy to be soft to long balls into wide players behind our full backs. If you want LFC to commit to a tactic that they are likely to play anyway but *even more* then feed the press bullcrap about us thinking we've already won it. Foster a sense that we need to press hard and maybe we'll press too hard, leave spaces in behind for Vilnius (sp?) & Benzema to run onto Modric long-balls. Maybe we'll pepper their goal with shots rather than be patient, maybe we'll regret not taking some chances when they try to make a late comeback.

It's all headology.

In reality, if we take the chances we know we'll create, we'll embarrass them. If we don't use our heads, we'll leave them a way back into the game and they may take it.

"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
Cant see Fabinho in training.

Edit: Nvm just saw him, lets see if he trains with the main group.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
Karim Benzema:

"Liverpool have a lot of confidence. Maybe they think they already won the game, maybe they think this isn't the same Real Madrid as before, that they're favorites. Salah can say whatever he wants."

Via: @MovistarFutbol

It's safe to say we have never went into a single game with Klopp as our manager thinking we have won the game already. It just wouldn't be accepted. Salah has got to them a bit hasn't he ?  Few players massive eye brows himself on about it. Jaysus. Touchy lot them

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fabinho in training, no Thiago

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Seems like Madrid forgot they scraped by the skin of their teeth to get to the final and have now assumed their usual arrogant stance as if it was always likely they'll be there. Well good, bring it on. Let's see how you fare against a team that never gives up, never stops and does not take anything for granted. Let's see how much you really want it, because let me tell you - we really fucking want it and we'll give you a game to remember.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Good to see Fab back out there. At least Thiago isn't completely ruled out - I'll take that positive at this stage.

He has been relatively fit for the last few months, so I don't think he needs a week training with the squad at this stage to determine whether or not he could/should play the game. If he is fit come Friday/Saturday then he will play.

Offline VictoryFor96

• Main Stander
I predict a 2-1 win for us. Hopefully we score first.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Good to see Fab back out there. At least Thiago isn't completely ruled out - I'll take that positive at this stage.

He has been relatively fit for the last few months, so I don't think he needs a week training with the squad at this stage to determine whether or not he could/should play the game. If he is fit come Friday/Saturday then he will play.

With five subs and a summer ahead, it may even be worth a risk if he's 70-80%

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp has said Thiago “has a chance” for Saturday...

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
No. Played for both Clubs but he is Spanish at the end of the day. Great Player.  :)

Whereas that twat Macca is a scouser who played for both teams and I strongly suspect he will be rooting for Madrid. Fuck I hope he's not doing the game Saturday, please let it be Hoddle.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp has said Thiago “has a chance” for Saturday...

.gif needed.

Offline red whine

• goes to my hhead
  • Main Stander
Thiago was injured less than three days ago. The final is more than three days away. Don't think Klopp says that if he isn't optimistic. I think at the very least he will be on the bench.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
Thiago doing a light session in the gym at Kirkby with head physio Lee Nobes. #LFC
@JamesPearce

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Thiago doing a light session in the gym at Kirkby with head physio Lee Nobes. #LFC
@JamesPearce
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
@JamesPearce

Handle with care, Lee.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Hendo Fabinho Keita is almost certain IMO. Thiago from the vetch hopefully and Bobby and Jota also great subs to have.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."