Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 621383 times)

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #14000 on: May 6, 2024, 11:47:33 pm »
Talk about an over reaction.
It's not an over reaction. To downplay the opportunity this group of players had is ignorant. The last time LFC had a manager and players with championship experience, at the top of the league with 8 games to go, was over 3 decades ago. No LFC team with this much experience on & off the pitch has collapsed like this team has. To throw that opportunity away by failing to beat the worst United team in decades, and losing to teams in the bottom half of the table like Palace & Everton, as well as the 5th best team in Italy, is a shambles.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14001 on: May 6, 2024, 11:56:56 pm »
It's not an over reaction. To downplay the opportunity this group of players had is ignorant. The last time LFC had a manager and players with championship experience, at the top of the league with 8 games to go, was over 3 decades ago. No LFC team with this much experience on & off the pitch has collapsed like this team has. To throw that opportunity away by failing to beat the worst United team in decades, and losing to teams in the bottom half of the table like Palace & Everton, as well as the 5th best team in Italy, is a shambles.
so has this pushed you over the edge? time to find another team for you to support maybe? 

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14002 on: May 7, 2024, 12:01:56 am »
The term Hocus Pocus should be forbidden from this forum in any discussion of Dutch folks.

Now Now. 

Let's Focus on the issue at hand and get back to winning Sylvia-ware.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 12:04:19 am by Pie Eyed »
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14003 on: May 7, 2024, 12:04:42 am »

You said we pissed away three trophies. That suggests they were there for the taking. To win the League we would have needed to win our last 10 games. To win the FA Cup we would have had to beat City in the Final. To win the Europa we would have had to beat Leverkusen.

There is a reason no one has won a quadruple it is incredibly difficult. Failing to do so isn't pissing away trophies.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14004 on: May 7, 2024, 12:08:59 am »
so has this pushed you over the edge? time to find another team for you to support maybe?
No, it hasn't pushed me over the edge, I'm just calling a spade a spade. Seems like people are taking for granted the opportunity the team had this season, we might not be in this situation for a long time. Arguably LFC's greatest ever player, Steven Gerrard, played his entire career & had this opportunity to win the league once.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 12:11:52 am by istvan kozma »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #14005 on: May 7, 2024, 12:09:47 am »
It's going to be hard for whoever was LFC manager going into next season. I'll be shocked if there isn't a residual effect, from the biggest on field collapse in LFC history. 3 trophies to win, all pissed away within a month, shocking.
If anything a fresh approach might be the boost required at this time.

Not that this is anything like a massive collapse. It’s disappointing and frustrating but we’ve probably achieved similar to most reasonable expectations. But miserable seems to be what you do best
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14006 on: May 7, 2024, 12:14:10 am »
... The fact is footballers are so aware of the importance of managing their bodies these days ...

Just thinking about LFC, the habits of Mo, Henderson and Milner must have helped create a good culture of health over the Klopp years.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14007 on: May 7, 2024, 12:16:55 am »
If anything a fresh approach might be the boost required at this time.

Not that this is anything like a massive collapse. It’s disappointing and frustrating but we’ve probably achieved similar to most reasonable expectations. But miserable seems to be what you do best
With 8 games to go we were top of the league, how often has that been the case in the last 30 years +?
Now a manager with no experience in a top league is taking over & is expected to have the team in the same situation in the coming years.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 12:19:06 am by istvan kozma »

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14008 on: May 7, 2024, 12:22:24 am »
You said we pissed away three trophies. That suggests they were there for the taking. To win the League we would have needed to win our last 10 games. To win the FA Cup we would have had to beat City in the Final. To win the Europa we would have had to beat Leverkusen.

There is a reason no one has won a quadruple it is incredibly difficult. Failing to do so isn't pissing away trophies.
They were. To get to 2 finals & win the league, none of the teams we would of faced are better than us.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14009 on: May 7, 2024, 12:29:18 am »
A good portion of our spine is inexperienced. The likes of Konate, Quansah, Endo, Darwin, Szobo haven't won the league.  There was a lack of experience right throught the most important part of the pitch.

We're quite inexperienced and you have to be borderline perfect to win it. Some of them were probably not used to that pressure to be perfect so last season was a learning experience.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 12:30:59 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #14010 on: May 7, 2024, 12:30:19 am »
With 8 games to go we were top of the league, how often has that been the case in the last 30 years +?
Now a manager with no experience in a top league is taking over & is expected to have the team in the same situation in the coming years.

Arguably the best manager in the world was in charge when we were top of the league with 8 games to go. So what was your point exactly?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14011 on: May 7, 2024, 12:34:59 am »
Arguably the best manager in the world was in charge when we were top of the league with 8 games to go. So what was your point exactly?
What's your point?

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14012 on: May 7, 2024, 12:39:38 am »
They were. To get to 2 finals & win the league, none of the teams we would of faced are better than us.

Yes, they were there for the taking. All we had to do was win 18 games in a row.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14013 on: May 7, 2024, 12:40:21 am »
A good portion of our spine is inexperienced. The likes of Konate, Quansah, Endo, Darwin, Szobo haven't won the league.  There was a lack of experience right throught the most important part of the pitch.

We're quite inexperienced and you have to be borderline perfect to win it. Some of them were probably not used to that pressure to be perfect so last season was a learning experience.
There's a core group of players who have won the league & got 97 & 92 points & played in CL & World Cup finals. No excuse to fold like LFC have at the business end of the season. All those past experiences counted for nothing in the end.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 12:42:01 am by istvan kozma »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14014 on: May 7, 2024, 12:46:06 am »
Which is probably ahead of where we should  have been, hence why we fell away. We’re not quite ready this season.

The players are still the same. Most are young and will improve. I don’t see why we won’t challenge if the manager proves to be good enough. And none of know how it will work out so why start with a negative outlook.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 12:52:05 am by duvva 💅 »

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14015 on: May 7, 2024, 12:48:33 am »
There's a core group of players who have won the league & got 97 & 92 points & played in CL & World Cup finals. No excuse to fold like LFC have at the business end of the season. All those past experiences counted for nothing in the end.
Because this is a new set of players to a large extent and the new players are learning.

You become a winner by winning things. That's why cups should not be taken granted and it's the same reason why I'm happy that this group has won something already.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14016 on: May 7, 2024, 12:49:13 am »
I don't think any of the three were there for the taking. Actually, I think it was that kind of complacency that did for us against Atalanta.

In the League, I think of the top three it was always going to be us who fell away. We've been giving goals (and head starts) away for months, and you only get away with that for so long. Also, we just can't seem to keep crucial players fit, so we rarely have a full first choice side out. We had to go away to both of our traditional rivals in the run-in, who were desperate to derail us, and not winning either was no surprise.

In the FA Cup a complete fuck up at Old Trafford is par for the course for us, unfortunately. We'd also have to beat the 115* in the final. Possible, but on current form, unlikely.

Yes, we were in a good position, but we were never looking convincing. We never had a settled and fit first eleven out there. We couldn't keep a clean sheet and we were falling over ourselves to give our opponents the lead against us game after game. That fragility, coupled with the complacency that ran right through the club and fanbase over Atalanta tie, pretty much sealed our fate. This season, when the chips were down, we weren't strong enough. Nothing was there for the taking.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 12:52:20 am by Son of Spion »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14017 on: May 7, 2024, 12:52:49 am »
christ you are one miserable son of a bitch aren't you?  why post all this shit on a thread dedicated to our next manager - you sound pissed off at the one who's leaving.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14018 on: May 7, 2024, 12:53:47 am »
Which is probably ahead of where we should  have been, hence why we fell away. We’re not quite ready.

The players are still the same. Most are young and will improve. I don’t see why we won’t challenge if the manager proves to be good enough. And none of know how it will work out so why start with a negative outlook.
Not being negative, I just understand how hard it is to win the league & when you have the opportunity you have to grab it. The likes of Virgil, Mo, & Robbo have stood on the pitch with 97 points and not have a winners medal at the end of the season.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14019 on: May 7, 2024, 12:54:56 am »
Not being negative, I just understand how hard it is to win the league & when you have the opportunity you have to grab it. The likes of Virgil, Mo, & Robbo have stood on the pitch with 97 points and not have a winners medal at the end of the season.
LMAO

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14020 on: May 7, 2024, 12:58:50 am »
To be honest, I don't think we are mentally or physically strong enough to see off both Arsenal and the 115* this season. Not with a squad in transition and not with a squad that loses crucial players to injury time and time again. This is before we even get started on the utterly absurd decisions we've had against us that have costed us points.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14021 on: May 7, 2024, 01:00:36 am »
christ you are one miserable son of a bitch aren't you?  why post all this shit on a thread dedicated to our next manager - you sound pissed off at the one who's leaving.
What's with the insult's, play the ball not the man. In my opinion I think the collapse at the end of the season might have a bearing with what happens next season.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2024, 01:25:35 am by istvan kozma »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #14022 on: May 7, 2024, 01:00:37 am »
geuinley folks, read the post histories of people before getting into ‘debates’ with them, it’ll be easier on your stress levels!

Mr Kozma here isn’t exactly know to be the most ‘supportive’ of fans, never mind knowledgeable about what he’s trying to engage in.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14023 on: May 7, 2024, 01:01:29 am »

Klopp system is all about pressing. The downside of it when players can't press effectively for whatever reason we become so open and struggle and bad planning with transfers the last few years didn't help but still without it we wouldn't have been successful. We overachieved every season under Klopp except last season because of it.

Slot seems like a very good coach but unless he is a genius like Klopp we will struggle to be successful again under FSG.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14024 on: May 7, 2024, 01:07:14 am »
geuinley folks, read the post histories of people before getting into ‘debates’ with them, it’ll be easier on your stress levels!

Mr Kozma here isn’t exactly know to be the most ‘supportive’ of fans, never mind knowledgeable about what he’s trying to engage in.
I'm totally knowledgeable, that's the problem. That's why you & others play the man not the ball.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14025 on: May 7, 2024, 01:11:27 am »
You are choosing to look at things in a negative way. There are other ways to look at this if you wish to.

It’s not as easy as saying we must win the league just because there was an opportunity. We weren’t good enough across the whole season.

But next season with a new manager with new ideas, who isn’t burnt out, with a set of mostly young players with more experience of these disappointments, who knows what could happen, so there’s no need to be so pessimistic unless you want to be that way.

The fact we didn’t win the league with 97 points had zero to do with us and has no relevance on next season. Who knows the PL might even hold City to account so they’re less of a problem next year

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #14026 on: May 7, 2024, 04:26:31 am »

If you can’t see the cash spent difference between us and City your eyes need some serious work. We’ve been punching in a fight against a financially hopped up opponent. I can’t even count that debacle in Paris as a lost final, everyone got home alive and that was the win there.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14027 on: May 7, 2024, 05:49:31 am »
All this talk of him idolising Guardiola is gonna piss off a lot of our fans :P

Offline tyrolean_red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14028 on: May 7, 2024, 06:02:11 am »
This thread has gone mad. It proves how different people see the world.

To me, I'm still down about the way went out of the title race.

However, considering the changes in the summer, the injury Situation combined with players being out of form after being out addeed with HUGE decisions against us in season defining games throughout all season, it has been quite a miracle we ever have been in a title race.
Thank you Stevie! It was a pleasure.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #14029 on: May 7, 2024, 07:06:13 am »
Obviously it would have been great to win more than the League Cup but our tailing off has probably helped Slot as imagine replacing the man who just won the league.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14030 on: May 7, 2024, 07:11:49 am »
Obviously it would have been great to win more than the League Cup but our tailing off has probably helped Slot as imagine replacing the man who just won the league.

It certainly helps in terms of perception because regardless of whether we won the league or not and regardless of whether Klopp stayed or not, I personally think Liverpool finishing third next season would have been the most likely outcome.

For me there are still some big questions with this squad in that Salah is still holding this attack together and we are still relying on the class of 18-20 for our main element of quality.

If the squad doesnt add some truly quality players then I think third and a bigger gap to City and Arsenal is likely. But where Slot is helped is generally i think most people believe that and so I cant see a scenario where he gets criticised for it.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #14031 on: May 7, 2024, 07:14:20 am »
All this talk of him idolising Guardiola is gonna piss off a lot of our fans :P
Based on Sunday, he’s got two ideal 8s in McAllister and Elliott to replicate Pep’s initial Barca midfield style to a lesser extent.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14032 on: May 7, 2024, 07:22:50 am »
Based on Sunday, he’s got two ideal 8s in McAllister and Elliott to replicate Pep’s initial Barca midfield style to a lesser extent.

And a young, tall, lanky Spanish no.6..

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14033 on: May 7, 2024, 07:31:29 am »
And a young, tall, lanky Spanish no.6..

God I hope thats not our midfield next season.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14034 on: May 7, 2024, 07:36:25 am »
It certainly helps in terms of perception because regardless of whether we won the league or not and regardless of whether Klopp stayed or not, I personally think Liverpool finishing third next season would have been the most likely outcome.

For me there are still some big questions with this squad in that Salah is still holding this attack together and we are still relying on the class of 18-20 for our main element of quality.

If the squad doesnt add some truly quality players then I think third and a bigger gap to City and Arsenal is likely. But where Slot is helped is generally i think most people believe that and so I cant see a scenario where he gets criticised for it.

You say Salah is holding the attack together but there is an argument he is holding the attack back because results wise we were better when he didn't play.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14035 on: May 7, 2024, 07:38:13 am »
You say Salah is holding the attack together but there is an argument he is holding the attack back because results wise we were better when he didn't play.

Over a relatively short period of time. Its a different case over a season.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14036 on: May 7, 2024, 07:43:35 am »
God I hope thats not our midfield next season.

I think Baj needs a season on loan to get first team minutes in his legs.
Elliott has done well recently but I don't think he has the pace or physicality to start in Liverpool. There's no point bringing up Arsenal's slow small players, our game is based on pace, strength and physicality and the further we get away from that the worse we get. I think carry one such player in midfield or attack but no more.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14037 on: May 7, 2024, 07:44:44 am »
Over a relatively short period of time. Its a different case over a season.

Get used to it because I will be amazed if Salah is still a Liverpool player when the summer transfer window closes.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14038 on: May 7, 2024, 07:50:45 am »
Get used to it because I will be amazed if Salah is still a Liverpool player when the summer transfer window closes.

Thats fine if we have signed another star player or two. The idea that we bank on Nunez, Gakpo, Diaz and Jota as our attack next season is silly.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14039 on: May 7, 2024, 08:06:16 am »
Thats fine if we have signed another star player or two. The idea that we bank on Nunez, Gakpo, Diaz and Jota as our attack next season is silly.

We shouldn't be playing more than two forwards in a game. We should be looking to play 2 forwards and 4 midfielders and aim to be more solid rather than play 3 forwards to become more prolific. With three forwards we're too open.