Author Topic: Liverpool 1 West Brom 0: Substance Over Style  (Read 21675 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool 1 West Brom 0: Substance Over Style
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:37:07 pm »
After the resilient display in Europe on Thursday, it was back to the ‘bread and butter’ of the Premier League, as we played host to newly promoted West Bromwich Albion.

Six games into the new regime and substance, so far, has been triumphing over style. No sign yet of the shackles being removed. With the greatest respect to today’s opponents, I doubt I was the only person hoping to see a little more flair and creativity this afternoon.

Unfortunately, the team didn’t inspire much in the way of confidence. Pepe Reina started in goal, across the back four Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel and Agger. In midfield, Kuyt, Poulsen, Lucas and Milan Jovanovic, up front, Gerrard off Fernando Torres. Early impressions were that of confusion - from my part, at least. I mean, why go to the City of Manchester Stadium (which will surely prove to be one of the tougher places to travel this season) and play 4-4-2, but then revert to a cautious 4-2-3-1 at home to perennial relegation fodder West Brom?

For our opponents, ex-Reds ‘keeper Scott Carson in goal, across the back four Olsson, Tamas, Jara, Shorey, in midfield, Morrison, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Brunt, Odemwingie and Fortune up front on his own. On paper, a 4-5-1. On grass a very flexible system that varied throughout.

One obvious omission from the Liverpool team, of course. No Joe Cole as he serves the second of his three match ban. To me, Cole is already an enigma. He’s clearly an exceptional talent, with bags of ability, but with that said, I simply don’t understand the hype and I can’t help but think that accommodating him at the expense of Steven Gerrard (and Aquilani, while I’m at it) could be to Roy’s detriment. (More on that a little later.) With that said, I'd have rather have seen him on the pitch over two of our front four, no question

The game progressed in much the same fashion as our previous two home fixtures. West Brom looked a very confident side on Matchday One at Stamford Bridge. Granted they get absolutely hammered in the end, six goals to nil, but I saw signs in their play that I admired. They have always played the game the “right way” – which some argue has been to their downfall – but I think in this campaign they can feel more confident than ever.

West Brom are not your a-typical newly promoted side. They play with an air of confidence and a quality in possession that is rare for teams outside the top half of the table. Their centre-backs are both assured on the ball and few of their players look as though they need to gather the ball before they move it on. I thought Youssouf Mulumbu in the centre of the park was fantastic. Not only sticking his foot in when it mattered but always looking for a forward ball that often stuck to his intended target’s feet. It’s also easy to see why ex-Baggies boss Tony Mowbray rated forward Marc-Antoine Fortune highly enough to take him along with him to Celtic. He was a handful throughout the entire game, but did look a little toothless when opportunities came his way, in truth.

Which brings me to our performance in the first half. Sigh.

Christian Poulsen and Lucas Leiva in the centre of the park is just downright depressing. After giving him the MOTM award in the last game, I don’t want to come across as some form of curator for the Christian Poulsen fan club, but I don’t think his performance was that bad. He put his foot in and every time he gave the ball away it was in his attempt to actually pass the ball forward. Lucas, similarly, didn’t play badly but playing the two of them together against a side like West Brom (with all due respect) just screams negativity. Dirk Kuyt and Milan Jovanovic don’t exactly look inspiring on the wings, but they always receive the ball five seconds too late anyway. If you want to challenge at a high level, you need to play central midfielders that don’t have to compete in midfield battles against West Brom. You need to field central midfielders that take the game by the scruff of the neck and dominate the game. Poulsen and Lucas never looked like doing so for any sustained period of time.

The first half came and went without any incident of note. Milan Jovanovic was the only man that got the crowd on their feet with two gut-busting runs from midfield that didn’t materialise into anything. My fingers were firmly crossed that Hodgson showed the same authority he did against Trabzonspor and throw on a half-time substitution to change the course of the game. Alas, no such luck.

The second half continued and the frustrations of the first half were still prevalent. Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel had no answer to West Brom’s tight marking across the midfield. Daniel Agger never seemed to venture past the half way line and Christian Poulsen and Lucas Leiva were still masters of tackling the opposition and passing to one another, but provided nothing of any use going forward.

Roy did make one change though – Milan Jovanovic and Dirk Kuyt swapped wings. But without the service into them, we could have had George Best and Billy Liddell out there. It wouldn’t have mattered.

West Brom looked threatening up until the final third where they seemed to come unstuck. A few tame efforts from outside the box, but nothing for Pepe Reina to fret over. Our greatest threat came from set-pieces. One corner was scrambled away from inside the six yard box and another fell to Skrtel who hit a wonderful volleyed effort that flew just wide of the right-hand corner of the net.

From a defensive perspective, Skrtel tussled with Fortune throughout and, to his credit came out on top in most instances. From set-pieces however, Skrtel, to me, looks like an accident waiting to happen. It seems apparent that we’ve switched to a mix of zonal and man-to-man. I don’t know what Roy’s interpretation of man-to-man is, but if it reflects that of Martin Skrtel’s, it needs revising. His aggressive shirt-pulling will be punished by a referee some time soon. It has to. He needs to cut it out before it costs us.

When the game hit the hour mark, Roy was the first to shuffle his pack. Milan Jovanovic was replaced by Maxi Rodriguez on the right-hand side and the Argentine made an immediate impact, ghosting into dangerous positions and hitting the ball into dangerous areas.

On 65 minutes, West Brom sprung a counter-attack. They knocked the ball around the static Liverpool midfield before unleashing a shot at Pepe Reina. The crowd reacted with frustration but from there Pepe Reina threw a magnificent ball out to Dirk Kuyt who was encouraged to run into the acres of empty space that lay ahead of him. Instead, he opted to go inside to Torres who spun a brilliant pass back into Kuyt’s path. On the right-edge of the area, Kuyt for the first time in the game had options in the area. Attackers were occupying defenders, which allowed Torres to make space for himself. Kuyt found him with a fine pass which Torres hit first time, into the ground and into the back of the net, down low into Scott Carson’s right-hand corner. 1-0. Magical goal. Where would we be without Fernando?

From there, we began to look confident. Gerrard was running the show, seeing passes those in the stands hadn’t spotted. Taking up a position on the left, he exchanged passes with Kuyt before crossing the ball into Torres whose shot was blocked very well by Carson. Nearly a second.

We continued to show in short patches what we are truly capable of. Kuyt, this time coming in from the right, found Maxi, who found Gerrard, who found Torres in one sweeping move from right to left. Torres cut back on his favoured right and felt his resulting shot was blocked by a West Brom arm. Nothing given from the referee.

As the game drew to a close, West Brom committed men forward, which allowed Torres space on the break. He took up a position on the left-hand side to exploit the space the right-back Olsson was leaving. Receiving the ball there towards the end of the 90 minutes, he was hacked down recklessly by James Morrison who was shown a straight red card. The biggest sigh of relief in the game was when Torres got back on his feet after initially going down in a heap.

The final result, one-nil. There was a time when I’d look upon a result like this positively and say it was a “sign of Champions”. But in truth, it was hugely unconvincing.

MOTM – Steven Gerrard. You ask Fernando Torres who is favourite partner is and he will say Gerrard every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Even though Gerrard had no part to play in the goal (apart from occupying a West Brom defender inside the box), he made the difference. No way on Earth is this man a central-midfield player and if Joe Cole waltzes back into the team in that position, I’ll scream.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:42:44 pm by Garsonite »

Offline kopilot

• Kopite
  • far east
Re: Liverpool 1 West Brom 0: Substance Over Style
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 06:40:57 pm »
You ask Fernando Torres who is favourite partner is and he will say Gerrard every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Even though Gerrard had no part to play in the goal (apart from occupying a West Brom defender inside the box), he made the difference. No way on Earth is this man a central-midfield player and if Joe Cole waltzes back into the team in that position, I’ll scream.
+1

i'd love to see Cole on the flank since the day he signed to be honest

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:41:51 pm »
There's a certain irony in that by playing so deep it pulled West Brom forward and our goal came from hitting them on the break when during the moments we were dominating possession and pinning them back in their own half, we didn't really create much of anything.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:44:35 pm »
Great post.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:45:00 pm »
I'm pleased that we have Joe Cole to return and Raul Meireles joining - these are both players who're comfortable with the ball, they're not just hoofers or "destroyers". I'm also pleased with Poulson  - in spite of the fact that he and Lucas is never, ever going to be a productive partnership (ala Lucas and Mascherano last year) he is looking like a good player - More Hamman than Mascherano on first impressions, and if that ends up being even 70% true, we'll be well off in that department.

This is going to limit Lucas' opportunities, of course....I don't hate him, I don't think he's a terrible player...it's just that offers nothing going forward and isn't defensively elite either. He's just...a player. If he's content to be back up, I would be happy to see him play but it's when you end up having him play as Alonso's replacement, as he did for the majority of last season, that you have a problem. Hopefully Meireles fits in - If so, I think that with he and Cole in the team we'll soon be seeing much more fluidity in the middle of the park. I do hope that Cole is used wide instead of the game but limited Jovanovic instead of in Gerrard's role though.

Offline dannymc

• Wannabee RAWK dogger
  • Legacy Fan
  • Any spares
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:46:54 pm »
Well said and the thing about Gerrard at the end about his position is spot on
If he scores more goals than Torres this season ill change me name to Carol.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 06:54:23 pm »
Roy Hosgson is a decent enough fella, but after witnesing in person what I can easily say is the worst performance I can recall from a Liverpool side in probabley 5 Liverpool managers, I coming to the conclusion that he's pulled the wool over Purlows eyes and I honestly think he isn't up to the job.

Some of you may think it's knee jerk to write him off so early, but i'm just putting my cards on the table early, it will take time but the rest of the fan base to come to the same conclusion.

His second league game in and eveyone around me was siting their shaking their heads and there was even a few cat calls and this is in his second league game.

You could see that Geds and Rafa's teams were well drilled and solid and we allowed the managers time to develop attacking play, safe in the knowledge that we were hard to break down.

Right now, there is an open invitation for any team to play against us as the like, because Hodgson aint got a clue.
My seat was right in view of the bench and he just sat their scatching his head, when eveyone around could see it needed changing after 10 mins. what ever "it" was, well you might aswell ask fuck knows, because i couldn't figure out what the game plan was and it was obvious the rest of the crowd and the players felt the same way.

You can't pull the wool over Anfields eyes, I hope i'm wrong, but I can't see it ending in any other way than tears.

It's going to be a long old season.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »
Roy Hosgson is a decent enough fella, but after witnesing in person what I can easily say is the worst performance I can recall from a Liverpool side in probabley 5 Liverpool managers, I coming to the conclusion that he's pulled the wool over Purlows eyes and I honestly think he isn't up to the job.

Ridiculous. He has two major signings to come in and, frankly, we had plenty of worse games under Rafa. A shedload last season - being outplayed, outfought and thrashed by one of the worst sides in recent Premier League history the nadir circa Christmas 2009 - and in 2004-05 we looked hideous at times. Fuck, even 07-08...remember Rafa quitting against Reading? We've had some terrible games, everyone has. It's preposterous to judge the manager at this point in time and the fact is that we're level on points with Spurs and Man City after three games despite arguably having a tougher start than both.

Offline KopKarl

• Kemlynite
  • Rafa has gone, long live the Hodgson!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:10:30 pm »
Great post
Yanks for the memories........ not! YNWA

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 07:15:04 pm »

Some of you may think it's knee jerk to write him off so early, but i'm just putting my cards on the table early, it will take time but the rest of the fan base to come to the same conclusion.

His second league game in and eveyone around me was siting their shaking their heads and there was even a few cat calls and this is in his second league game.

You could see that Geds and Rafa's teams were well drilled and solid and we allowed the managers time to develop attacking play, safe in the knowledge that we were hard to break down.

I'm starting to think last season has become one big repressed memory for alot of people on here.

Credit to Rafa during his time here I became used to the team becoming a solid unit.
Able to be confident and hold a lead at home, real pressure on the opposition in the last fifteen or so minutes during tight games.

All that went out the window last season and there were plenty of displays of the stale uncreative and nervous football that we witnessed today.

Think i'll give Roy plenty more time to make his mark on the team before I right him off, wahy to early yet.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:19:39 pm by Tomo! »
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 07:18:53 pm »
 there are generally bad performances after europe so three points today whilst City and Spurs  lost is a bonus in any terms and in fact makes the city game now null and void points wise!

For now I think Roy is playing safe until he can get the team he wants out there, because think about it, Joe 45 minutes in the prem for us, Poulson only his second game in the prem ever, Jovo still a novice in this league,  Torres still not quite 100% yet and to be honest had we even drawn today let alone got beat he would have been toast in the media and with the fanbase!

So the cautious or even bad game was understandable given the situation now, and the three points are all that matter, the one thing that amazes me is we have no tricky winger and Roy always likes one of those in the team, maybe just maybe he may still get one!

If Raul is this box to box guy he will inject some energy into the midfield area that was lacking today, have to say my one gripe this season is the same as last we pass for the hell of it at times! We persist in making about twenty passes around the center circle and not moving anywhere or hurting the opposition , this can only be the front men cannot create space to move into or our wide men are not far enough forward,  it then gets very crowded then in the middle of the park and with one bad pass and we are under pressure again at the back, we need sometimes a bit more directness in the play to mix it up! To be fair though this happened with Rafa's team as well constantly over passing with no end product!

Not the way Carragher hoofs it but now and then use a long ball as well as the constant two yard wall passes!

In the end though Roy's teams have never been that stylish from what i recall,  so i feel substance will always be the main factor for his teams and his tactics!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 07:20:41 pm »
Great post Garstonite.  ;)
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »

It's going to be a long old season.

Decent start though, 5 wins from 7.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 07:23:23 pm »
Decent start though, 5 wins from 7.
Indeed, Royfa's doing well thus far.

Not setting the world alight, but steady none the less where results are concerned.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 07:26:33 pm »
there are generally bad performances after europe so three points today whilst City and Spurs  lost is a bonus in any terms and in fact makes the city game now null and void points wise!

For now I think Roy is playing safe until he can get the team he wants out there, because think about it, Joe 45 minutes in the prem for us, Poulson only his second game in the prem ever, Jovo still a novice in this league,  Torres still not quite 100% yet and to be honest had we even drawn today let alone got beat he would have been toast in the media and with the fanbase!

So the cautious or even bad game was understandable given the situation now, and the three points are all that matter, the one thing that amazes me is we have no tricky winger and Roy always likes one of those in the team, maybe just maybe he may still get one!

If Raul is this box to box guy he will inject some energy into the midfield area that was lacking today, have to say my one gripe this season is the same as last we pass for the hell of it at times! We persist in making about twenty passes around the center circle and not moving anywhere or hurting the opposition , this can only be the front men cannot create space to move into or our wide men are not far enough forward,  it then gets very crowded then in the middle of the park and with one bad pass and we are under pressure again at the back, we need sometimes a bit more directness in the play to mix it up! To be fair though this happened with Rafa's team as well constantly over passing with no end product!

Not the way Carragher hoofs it but now and then use a long ball as well as the constant two yard wall passes!

In the end though Roy's teams have never been that stylish from what i recall,  so i feel substance will always be the main factor for his teams and his tactics!

agree with most of that, especially the bit about a tricky winger.
even after our terrible start we are 3 points off second place and thats with 2 tough fixtures out of the way.
i hope it doesnt take roy half the season to realise that we need more players in the team who can take the game to the opposition.
because if thats the case we may as well be 30 points off second place never mind 3 points.

Offline Tomo!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 07:26:48 pm »

Some valid points there mate.

Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline audioedge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What would Buddha do?
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:05 pm »
and the fact is that we're level on points with Spurs and Man City after three games despite arguably having a tougher start than both.
Exactly, way too early for the doom mongering. I want to see the new signings settle in and Roy find his best formation/team. Im hoping the midfield pairing and wingers employed today are due to the players he has available rather than a preferred selection, we will see.

Offline Tomo!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:13 pm »
You can't beat a good old substance over style debate with an Arsenal fan.

I'll take the positives out of today, three points and torres of the mark.

Offline phillypool

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:45 pm »
MOTM – Steven Gerrard.  With all do respect.. Are you serious about that?  I guess I was watching a different game.    During the match I was thinking about maybe its better for both parties to sell him to R.Madrid.  The games he missed last year LFC played well as a team.  I thought may be he quit on Rafa and things will get better this year.  He played well in the second half vs Arsenal but today he was really bad.  He wasn't making himself open for anybody which made Lucas' & Poul job very though.  Every time they start building from the back it gets wasted when the ball gets around him that 'casue he doesn't create enough space for himself.   We scored today maybe because he wasn't involved into that play.  I love him to death but I gotta be honest about his performance. 

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 07:31:19 pm »
Joe Cole waltzing back into the team may separate Gerrard and Torres from playing up together but if it means Gerrard moves back into a 2 next to Lucas, Poulsen or Raul then that may lead to a move stylish approach that is being craved.

For me I'd like Cole to come in playing out wide leaving Gerrard and Torres and just hope Raul can offer a bit more in the middle. Doing that may even mean Kuyt is an alternative up front and would reduce the problem of lacking strikers.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »

5 Liverpool managers? Worse than Souness losing to bristol City? Losing to Burnley? Half the games at the end of Houllier's reign? Some of the lame half-assed Roy Evans games?

Basically you've guessed he's going to fail and fans will turn on him. You may well be right, but that won't because of any good logic or great thinking it's because there's a 50/50 chance your knee-jerk reaction could be right.

That's because the permormance was indeed lame, but also because every fan is currently very frustrated with everything around the club.

They took time to become like that! Especially Houllier, he had some pretty unspectacular performances at the beginning (and indeed end!) of his reign, whilst Benitez's team lost to soon to be relegated Southampton and Crystal Palace in his first season. I know Rafa's first season was with a poor squad but we weren't always well drilled under him- that developed as he moulded his team.

At the end of the day I'm far from certain Roy will succeed, I believe he can but with the way the club is going he's going to have to pull something truly spectacular out the bag to get anything this year. However let's not write it off just yet after three Premer League games where if we were doing a results comparison thread we'd be level on points despite our crazy summer.

If he has a poor season, then  we can judge. But unless you believe in fate this season isn't definitely going one way or the other just yet.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 07:33:21 pm »
Garstonite summed it up for me particularly about Steven Gerrard and Joe Cole.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »
Nice right up Garstonite - Spot on as usual.

Fear you may well be screaming once Cole re-enters the fray
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:28 pm »
I think there's a potential problem coming about where to play Joe Cole - he wants to play in the hole, so where does that leave Stevie G?  My preferred line up would be:

Reina

Kelly     Carra  Agger   Insua

Meireles 

Gerrard
Johnson                       Kuyt

Cole

Torres 

Maybe the bench is an indication that our squad is getting a little stronger.......?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:44:06 pm by Lord Roger Hunt »
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline LiverMorgh

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »
Pretty easy to sum it up: we looked and played like shite but got the 3 points that count. Hopefully, Roy will learn something from this match.
"The only thing I fear is missing an open goal in front of the Kop. I would die if that were to happen. When they start singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I've actually been crying while I've been playing". Kevin Keegan

Offline The_Last_Don

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:37 pm »
with whats going on with the club i'd take a win however which way it comes.  i doubt the manager knows what his best team is yet.  i'd want liverpool to be a team hard to beat home and away, right now teams will come to anfield thinking they can get a result, this will be in our favour and we should capitalise on that - this is where hodgsons managing and tactical skills will be tested.

Offline GinuWhine

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 07:37:51 pm »
With the purchase of Meireles, I can't see Stevie moving back into centre mid. We wouldn't have purchased Poulsen if we were shifting Stevie back. We'd only have bought one. I mean we could use Meireles and Stevie in the middle but Meireles is more of a Xabi than a Mascherano. Jovanovic looked a step off today. I'd keep Stevie off Torres with Cole on the left with a free role.

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 07:38:43 pm »
I think there's a potential problem coming about where to play Joe Cole - he wants to play in the hole, so where does that leave Stevie G?  My preferred line up would be:

Reina

Now, I love Pepe but I think he'd struggle, especially against a top 4 side!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »
No pace at all today across midfield,4 players with  great work ethic, but,at the same time their lack of creativity and guile was shown up.Be interesting to see which way we line up when everyones available..

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »
MOTM – Steven Gerrard.  With all do respect.. Are you serious about that?  I guess I was watching a different game.    During the match I was thinking about maybe its better for both parties to sell him to R.Madrid.  The games he missed last year LFC played well as a team.  I thought may be he quit on Rafa and things will get better this year.  He played well in the second half vs Arsenal but today he was really bad.  He wasn't making himself open for anybody which made Lucas' & Poul job very though.  Every time they start building from the back it gets wasted when the ball gets around him that 'casue he doesn't create enough space for himself.   We scored today maybe because he wasn't involved into that play.  I love him to death but I gotta be honest about his performance. 

You were watching a different game! He was a one man team in the 1st half - best defender (headed every one of their corners clear), best midfielder, and best attacker. Also, whose pass to Kuyt enabled him to set Torres up for the goal? I accept he perhaps tried too many glory balls at times, but we'd not have won without him today.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 07:43:34 pm »
I love him to death

During the match I was thinking about maybe its better for both parties to sell him to R.Madrid.

...are you mental?

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 07:44:03 pm »
Good post, and I do agree with the title. Lots of us here thought he was a manager who was brought in to steady the ship - nothing spectacular, just getting the results, and that's what he's done so far. 5 wins from 7 games, and equal on points with City and Spurs - two teams who we will end up close to at the end of the season.

I'm warming up to him, but I'm not totally convinced - we'll only know the real strength of this Liverpool side and the way this side will play about 8+ games into the league.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 07:46:31 pm »
Now, I love Pepe but I think he'd struggle, especially against a top 4 side!

Ha, yes on second thoughts, maybe I should give him a little support?!  :)

(new pc, totally crap operator......!)

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 07:47:36 pm »
it`s not really rocket science, anyone can see why we struggled last season and why we are struggling at the beginning of this season.
it`s the midfield, too many plodders and workhorses and not enough creative or quick players.
just look at the midfield - kuyt, poulsen, lucas and jovanovic.
where is the skill? where is the creativity? where is the pace? where are the goals?

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 07:48:30 pm »
Very decent review of the game I reckon. Amazed Skrtel didn't get a least one card for pulling on there shirt. Would of loved to have seen Albert in the center of the park knocking the ball around. But, as your game summary mentioned we decided to go toe to toe with them in the center.

Well, least it was three points that was about all you could say about the game. Could of been much worse, we could of been beaten today like Manchester City were by Sunderland. ;)

You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 07:48:42 pm »
Love reading your post match posts.

Usually spot on G

Except from your MOM selections.

But like Roy, I'm not going to write you off  just yet

Come christmas...you havent sorted your MOM selctions, I'll be calling for your head.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 07:49:23 pm »
agree with garsonite's view. be interesting to see what happens after the next match when Cole is back. the anti-gerrard consortium will not agree with your MOTM though. even though the did look the most threatening for us.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline harrylfc

• Legacy Fan
  • XABI'S MATE
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:49 pm »

Reina

Meireles 

Gerrard

Cole

Torres 

Maybe the bench is an indication that our squad is getting a little stronger.......?

Like that team mate,said for ages we should play Johnson RM,now we have a RB in Kelly which allows us to do it  from time to time,Dirk played some decent games for the Dutch on the left,looks like Konchesky for Insua tho...

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 07:56:35 pm »

Reina

Meireles 

Gerrard

Cole

Torres 

Not a bad line up but after Roys comments this evening about wanting someone to play up with Torres, I don't think we'll be looking for anyone 'in the hole'. I think it'll be 4-4-2 with Gerrard and Meireles in the middle, Kuyt one side, Cole the other with Fernando and Carlton Cole up top.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 07:57:06 pm »
Like that team mate,said for ages we should play Johnson RM,now we have a RB in Kelly which allows us to do it  from time to time,Dirk played some decent games for the Dutch on the left,looks like Konchesky for Insua tho...

Yes, would agree but not too sure about Konchesky so kept faith with Insua (although Roy seems hesitant....?).

Makes you wonder what Pacheo has to do to get a start.....?