Author Topic: Movies for your kids  (Read 35557 times)

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Movies for your kids
« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2011, 11:15:57 am »
My Neighbour Totoro is on Film4 right now :)
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #281 on: May 3, 2011, 12:13:37 pm »
The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Starring Nicholas Cage, Alfred Molina, Monica Bellucci (all too briefly) and Jay Baruchel (Knocked Up, Tropic Thunder) as well as a delightful Teresa Palmer.

This is Disney and Jerry Bruckheimer so you know what you're getting, i.e. fast paced bollocks and not much in the way of sense. Still, we liked it fine. Cage and Molina do a nice line in scenery chewing while it's refreshing to have a hero in Baruchel who isn't, shall we say, classically handsome. They even do a "live action" version of the famous brooms and buckets scene from the Disney original without killing anyone. You could do worse.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #282 on: May 3, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »
Rio - Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, Jamie Fox, George Lopez, Will.I.Amm, Jermain from Flight of the conchords and Stacy Morgan among others provide the voices. It's about Blu, a blue macaw that gets paoched as a baby, grows up in luxury, returns home only to get kidnapped again.

I thought it was rubbish for the most part, but my daughter enjoyed it.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #283 on: May 3, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »
Going to see Thor at the weekend with my 13 year old boy

The critics seem to rate it quiet highly

Anyone seen it?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2011, 09:48:03 pm »
Went to Captain America avec le garcon.

Movie effects are so good now that the hero's transformation from 90 pound weakling to a buff muscle bound hero is absolutely convincing so when the movie kicks off with Cap'n (Chris Evans) as a 5 foot 7 skinny guy, over whom the film's love interest (Hayley Atwell, yum) towers, you swallow it totally. Yet when he emerges as this hunk of man, making her look positively dainty (although you can't hide those curves so easily) it's just as credible.

The rest is of dastardly deeds and daring feats with action scenes that owe as much to old war movies as anything modern. The film is set in WWII but with a Marvel twist so they seem to have harnessed awesome and largely unexplained technology but being true to the era, the dials and switches are all carefully 1940s style, the cars are swish and the clothes are dandy. The evil guy has really cool kit too, like retro motorbikes and monster trucks but then this Stealth Bomber appears, so they obviously ran out of ideas at some stage.

The leads are quite likeable, Tommy Lee Jones cracks a few and acts tough (heart of gold) and Hugo Weaving is fine as Doctor Evil or whatever they called him. Stanley Tucci is solid as our hero's mentor and there is an appallingly contrived multi cultural group of team buddies for Cap'n and a childhood friend, too. And then at the end they do this thing which absolutely screams sequel. So barefaced. Anyway, I knew nothing about Captain America before I watched this so I can't say if it was faithful but it was perfectly entertaining and often lovely to look at. Garcon has just told me that he's spending his pocket money on the Daily Star tomorrow just for the Cap'n America tat that's going with it. I've told him he has to bin the rest of it and he has agreed.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #285 on: July 31, 2011, 11:44:02 am »
Movie for kids? I went to the premiere and was fed up with all the idiot snot-nosed brats who kept whining and demanding an explanation for every fucking scene. Don't ruin Cap for us.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2011, 12:55:28 pm »
The smurfs - it was pretty good.

Cars 2 was charmless and dull.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #287 on: September 9, 2011, 10:37:36 pm »
I just watched The Green Hornet, with my nine year old and it's supposed to be for over twelves so me and the wife and an ongoing discussion about that, with several pauses and renegotiations.

I started this thread nearly five years ago (I just checked) but what with the linear nature of time and the way kids grow, I don't expect I'll be contributing here for too much longer.

Anyway, the movie was odd as fuck. A mixture of artsy design, knowing dialogue and Seth Rogen style interpersonal comedy. Luckily, it stars Seth Rogen, along with Jay Chou as his sidekick Kato. Fans of Duckman will be familiar with the relationship, as Kato is a Cornfed, Duckman's preternaturally gifted yet loyal to an asshole aide. There are funny bits and lots of car chases and shooting but equally some bits just don't really work and the writing is uneven.

The wife did admit to liking it but maintained that movies with Seth Rogen in them are not suitable for children. No fucks but plenty of shits. Not much blood or real violence, on the other hand, so I reckoned it was fine.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2011, 10:55:19 pm by corkboy »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #288 on: September 9, 2011, 10:49:02 pm »
You mean Green Hornet ;)

Also Hugo Cabret which is coming out in a couple of months looks like a great kids film.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #289 on: September 9, 2011, 10:55:45 pm »
You mean Green Hornet ;)

Sir, I know not whereof you speak.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2011, 04:28:29 pm »
Two for your delectation.

Mega Mind

Starring the voice talents of Will Ferrell, Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Tina Fey, this is a quirky take on the old good superhero/bad supervillain shenanigans. The interesting thing is that (pretty early in the movie so no spoiler) the bad guy, Megamind, actually gets rid of the good guy and is then left with the somewhat existential dilemma of what to do. Funny, bowls along and good performances all round.

The Flying Machine

Stars Heather Graham and Lang Lang. Saw this in a film festival, an oddity from Poland but in English. This is the story of a girl and her brother who go to see a stop motion film with their workaholic mother (Graham), and which film is accompanied by Lang Lang, the famous Chinese pianist. After that, things get a little weird and the kids and their mother get swept into a similar type scenario. The acting is wooden and the plot and message are see-it-a-mile-off stuff. On the other hand, the art direction is fabulous and the 3D is perfect for the kind of movie this is. Added to this, the soundtrack is entirely composed of Chopin piano etudes and this reviewer loves his Chopin etudes. So, gazing at Heather Graham and listening to Chopin. You could do worse.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2011, 04:34:18 pm »
Puss in Boots was good. I'm not a Shrek fan but thought this was superior to those films.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: November 24, 2011, 08:03:27 pm »
The Muppets Movie is excellent and will charm young and old alike. Some of the songs sounded very Flight of the Conchords, and sure enough, there was Bret Macenxie listed as songwriter in the end credits.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #293 on: November 24, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »
Brian Blessed? Really?

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: November 24, 2011, 10:56:22 pm »
Went to see Arthur Christmas with my 6 year old daughter the other night, she loved it but I thought it was pretty shite. Some funny bits with grandpa Christmas tho.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #295 on: November 24, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »
Went to see Arthur Christmas with my 6 year old daughter the other night, she loved it but I thought it was pretty shite. Some funny bits with grandpa Christmas tho.

Was about to ask about this. Might take my boy to his first ever cinema trip soon.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2011, 12:32:31 am »
Brian Blessed? Really?
It's a natural progression. Haters gonna hate.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #297 on: January 10, 2012, 02:30:58 pm »
Night At The Museum 2

Yes, I saw the first one, it was fine but the second one is a hoot. Stars Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Steve Coogan and others but there are two real star turns. Amy Adams (who plays Amelia Earhart) is always brilliant but the show stopper scene stealer is Hank Azaria (who you might recall from the Simpsons) as some Egyptian prince or other. Just cracked us up.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLczJxTviz4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BLczJxTviz4</a>

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2012, 09:15:34 am »
My2 boys(6+12) absolutely loved Dolphin Tale - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1564349/

Also they loved Real Steele - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433035/
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »
Big shout out for Ninja Kids - brilliant kids film!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1644655/

It's by Takashi Miike (director of Audition and Ichi the Killer - two of the best but harrowing Japanese films I have ever seen).

from wiki..
Japanese family-oriented comedy film directed by Takashi Miike. The film is live-action adaptation of the Japanese anime series Nintama Rantarō. The film stars Seishiro Kato as Rantaro who is sent to a ninja training school by his parents. During the summer, their teacher is invaded by a group of rival ninjas culminating in a race to ring a bell on top of a mountain

I watched it on a flight recently and it had me laughing through most of the movie. Very funny and very well crafted. Apparently it will have an obligatory American remake so see the original before it is regurgitated for profit.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #300 on: February 4, 2012, 07:43:02 pm »
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Stars Josh Hutcherson, the only remaining cast member of the first one, and this time, he's joined by Dwayne Johnson and Michael Caine, as well Luis Guzman and a rather yummy Vanessa Hudgens who is left in the same very skimpy clothing for most of the movie. This makes very little sense but there's a good spirit to it and everyone has fun. Maybe it's my imagination, but kids movies these days seem to have a lot of absent father figures, and here Johnson is a stepdad whose own dad lit out, while Caine is a grandad who wasn't a great dad. Anyway, despite that subtext, this is enjoyable and funny. Mostly. Suitable for all but smallies as there are some scary giant lizards and whatnot.

Offline toomanysteves

• Kopite
« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2012, 01:55:52 pm »
Saw the Muppets yesterday. All the kids loved it. And despite not wanting to admit it ...so did I. Great to hear the kids singing muppet tunes this morning...It's time to face the music, it's time to light the lights...
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #302 on: February 20, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »
Saw the Muppets yesterday. All the kids loved it. And despite not wanting to admit it ...so did I. Great to hear the kids singing muppet tunes this morning...It's time to face the music, it's time to light the lights...
My kids went last week, loved it too, have been asking Muppet related questions ever since.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #303 on: February 20, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »

Cool. That's next.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: February 20, 2012, 02:22:51 pm »
Fantastic Mr. Fox was on C4 last night, thought it was very good, as did my 4 year old.

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #305 on: February 20, 2012, 02:29:33 pm »
Tangled -- excellent --- children loved it

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2012, 01:47:05 am »
Fantastic Mr. Fox was on C4 last night, thought it was very good, as did my 4 year old.

I am a big fan of this one, my son has a hard time following it but he is just 3.

He does really like UP, but makes us skip the beginning as it makes him sad. This is fine by me as it is rather saddening.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #307 on: May 8, 2012, 03:31:28 pm »
Where The Wild Things Are, Spike Jonze.

This is a film adaptation of a very famous kids book by Maurice Sendak. American famous, though, which means I only read it when I first heard of this movie this year and was thus unburdened by any sort of long term attachment. Briefly, a nine year old boy fights with his mum, voyages off to an island, meets some monsters, becomes their king and is home in time for tea. It needed to be padded out to movie length but it's a testament to the film that it all feels just like the book, with the same dark, dreamy quality.

This is a proper kids movie, folks, a serious kids movie in that it is told at the exact level of a nine year old boy. It's fun and exciting and not a little scary, but it is also grubby and unpleasant at times. Most of all, the monsters are basically kids, too, so that their moods are changeable and they often feel scared or lonely. They don't, however, have parents (about which more later). The film is actually a little uncomfortable at times, as most good kids movies are. Interchanging slapstick destruction with genuine fear, which is basically what being a nine year old boy is all about, it's a beautifully unvarnished show, a real contrast to the slick, glossy, "comes with adult gags too" sort of films that target kids nowadays.

There's a point, too, which is that being a kid has advantages and disadvantages. You have to do what you're told but you also get minded. There's a moment where the boy says to one of the monsters "I wish you had a mom". I read a review of this film in one of the "big" US papers where the reviewer complained that children would leave the movie wondering why the monsters were all unhappy. I asked my eight year old what he thought the boy meant about wishing for a mom for the monsters and he calmly explained that the monsters needed a mom so they'd behave and then they'd be happier. Maybe he should write reviews.

And now I see Maurice Sendak just died.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: May 8, 2012, 03:46:43 pm »
My lad just loves Puss'N Boots at the moment.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #309 on: June 3, 2012, 12:43:05 am »
Ratatouille

How I never saw this is a mystery. From 2007, which to my shock is five years ago, and for some inane reason, this got under my radar. I viewed it this evening with boy, 10, and it is suitable for all but the very small.

Well, it's marvellous. It has the underdog story and the marginalisation so beloved of Disney writers, together with the utterly unlikely denouements. Brad Bird directs, of Incredibles fame, and this has the same zip and energy. Set entirely in Paris, and in English, where a rat can understand a human but not vice versa, step forward and hear the tale of a rat with preternatural cooking skills, who somehow inveigles a spot in a fading Parisian haute cuisine établissement and wows the critics. The plot involves inopportune health inspectors and stunning chase scenes, spurned chefs who seek revenge, a subplot involving inheritances, a love story and a good lash of slapstick and/or verbal jousting.

Really rather good.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: June 3, 2012, 02:18:26 am »
I know Disney purchased Pixar prior to the release of Ratatouille, but I think it's still a Pixar film, in every
 way, including writers.

And it's also the worst Pixar film by far...until Cars 2, that is.

But apart from that, spot on.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #311 on: June 6, 2012, 09:22:19 am »
Ratatouille

How I never saw this is a mystery. From 2007, which to my shock is five years ago, and for some inane reason, this got under my radar. I viewed it this evening with boy, 10, and it is suitable for all but the very small.

Well, it's marvellous. It has the underdog story and the marginalisation so beloved of Disney writers, together with the utterly unlikely denouements. Brad Bird directs, of Incredibles fame, and this has the same zip and energy. Set entirely in Paris, and in English, where a rat can understand a human but not vice versa, step forward and hear the tale of a rat with preternatural cooking skills, who somehow inveigles a spot in a fading Parisian haute cuisine établissement and wows the critics. The plot involves inopportune health inspectors and stunning chase scenes, spurned chefs who seek revenge, a subplot involving inheritances, a love story and a good lash of slapstick and/or verbal jousting.

Really rather good.

I went to see Ratatouille at the cinema with the kids and left early. However I have to say both of them love it now and I find it far more enjoyable. Whilst it doesn't have the great humour of some other pixar films its still a very nice movie.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #312 on: June 6, 2012, 09:28:13 am »
Took my son and daughter to see Snow White and the huntsmen. It was a little bit on the scary side for my my daughter who is 7 (the film does have a 12 rating). My son really enjoyed it though. At two hours I thought I would be bored but I really enjoyed it. Didn't bother checking the reviews for it - though did after and there were a few negative reviews but have to say I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Also I watched a DVD with my son called Being Elmo. Which is a documentary about the creator of Elmo. Its entertaining and I guess could be inspiring for kids around about the 10 - 12 mark. It was an enjoyable watch.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #313 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:11 am »
Little Pixar treat for your munchkins.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/abG2p9MwVRo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/abG2p9MwVRo</a>

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #314 on: June 21, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »
Wall-E ......terrific
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #315 on: June 21, 2012, 12:37:59 pm »
I know Disney purchased Pixar prior to the release of Ratatouille, but I think it's still a Pixar film, in every
 way, including writers.

And it's also the worst Pixar film by far...until Cars 2, that is.

But apart from that, spot on.

Not having that! Researched ratatouille last night, great film.

Ps A Bugs Life is by far the worst Pixar film

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2012, 12:46:42 pm »
Not having that! Researched ratatouille last night, great film.

Ps A Bugs Life is by far the worst Pixar film
Me (and the kids) love Ratatouille too, its a decent kids film.

Can't imagine many Pixar films getting beyond the 'pitch' stage elsewhere. (A grouchy old man that makes his house fly? A robot love story intertwined with a commentary on humanities destructive excesses? Are you mad!?!)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #317 on: June 21, 2012, 01:09:13 pm »
Oh yeah. Pixar are superb.
Not too sure about how Brave will be though, looking forward more to Disney's Wreck It Ralph

Offline Rob K

• He is the one and only! Naked and caked in mud
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ron Fucking Swanson
« Reply #318 on: June 21, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »
Finding Nemo is being re-released in September in 3D, bluray release is 4th December.  Dunno about kids but i'm well looking forward to both :D
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have...

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #319 on: June 21, 2012, 04:54:30 pm »
Finding Nemo is being re-released in September in 3D, bluray release is 4th December.  Dunno about kids but i'm well looking forward to both :D

I read somewhere that in real life, if Nemo's mother was gone, her father would actually turn female, as that's the kind of fish they are.

Also, the plot is basically the same as Taken.