Author Topic: Movies for your kids  (Read 35551 times)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Movies for your kids
« Reply #200 on: February 9, 2009, 10:21:10 am »
Toy Storey. Greatest kids film ever.

Toy Story 3 is out in June 2010 in the states. October release in the UK.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Starring Johnny Depp. Director: Tim Burton.

Roadl Dahl wrote a good deal for children but all moral stories, fables, old style, in which good things happened to good kids, but bad things happened to bad kids, too. This is no different and for those who haven't ever heard of this remake, the original movie or the book, you really should be acquainting yourselves with one of them.

Leaving the story aside, this is a fabulous, magical version of a fabulous, magical tale. You cannot take your eyes off the screen for a second, even while looking at the characters who are all almost cartoonishly odd. Johnny Depp is masterful as Wonka, ethereal and silly, while the kids who don't get on so well are deliciously awful, as are their awful, awful parents. The design, the effects, the vision are all outstanding and Charlie is an amiable everyday good sort, which is what you want from a Charlie. Tim Burton carries this pillar of children's storytelling lightly and beautifully, this is a real treat (although perhaps not for smallies).

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2009, 09:42:16 pm »
anyone seen bolt yet?
I really wanted to take my soon to be 6 year old for his birthday to see that, he was really keen until he saw an advert for hotel for dogs on the tv and now we're going to see that...i dont hold out much hope :D

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »
There is a whole raft of animated titles out soon, all also showing in 3-D. Took ours to see Bolt last week and it was a joy to see them loving the added level of immersion in the film.

As far as the rest of the year goes, Coraline is genuinely dark in parts and looks superb.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2009, 09:56:11 pm »
Watched Bolt again this week, good to see Disney can still do it without Pixar!
Dvd screener knocking about meant I didn't have to wait for the late uk release too, good old award season :)

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2009, 02:35:36 pm »
Thought Bolt 3D was excellent when I brought the nephew at the weekend.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2009, 03:18:23 pm »
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

Starring Johnny Depp. Director: Tim Burton.

Roadl Dahl wrote a good deal for children but all moral stories, fables, old style, in which good things happened to good kids, but bad things happened to bad kids, too. This is no different and for those who haven't ever heard of this remake, the original movie or the book, you really should be acquainting yourselves with one of them.

Leaving the story aside, this is a fabulous, magical version of a fabulous, magical tale. You cannot take your eyes off the screen for a second, even while looking at the characters who are all almost cartoonishly odd. Johnny Depp is masterful as Wonka, ethereal and silly, while the kids who don't get on so well are deliciously awful, as are their awful, awful parents. The design, the effects, the vision are all outstanding and Charlie is an amiable everyday good sort, which is what you want from a Charlie. Tim Burton carries this pillar of children's storytelling lightly and beautifully, this is a real treat (although perhaps not for smallies).

Not for smallies, you got that right, scared the hell out of me, mainly Depp's Michael Jackson impression...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2009, 03:47:37 pm »
As far as the rest of the year goes, Coraline is genuinely dark in parts and looks superb.
Or try James Cameron's Avatar. For the bigger kid among us.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2009, 02:24:17 pm »
Sky High

This movie is no masterpiece but an enjoyable couple of hours for all the family. Our hero is the offspring of two super heroes (Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston) who himself appears to have no powers whatsoever but is sent to hero school nonetheless, and with this being an American movie, you can be sure there's a happy ending. Very wobbly story, decent script and they're all nice to look at. You could do worse.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #209 on: June 2, 2009, 03:58:41 pm »
Nim's Island

Stars Abigail Breslin (much slimmed down from her turn in Little Miss Sunshine) and a surprisingly likeable Jodie Foster. This is an excellent tale of a girl who shares her own tropical island with her marine biologist Dad, who goes missing in a storm and gets helped out by the girl's animal friends, who also help the girl repel invaders from a luxury cruise liner, while Jodie Foster, who plays the agoraphobic author of the girl's favourite adventure hero books, responds to the girl's distress call.

All hopelessly unlikely and very good fun.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #210 on: June 2, 2009, 04:00:57 pm »
Nim's Island

Stars Abigail Breslin (much slimmed down from her turn in Little Miss Sunshine)

i think I wanted to see that one just because Abigail had been so good in Little Miss Sunshine
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2009, 05:55:11 pm »
Up was pretty good. The old guy looked scarily like my old Thermodynamics professor.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:06 pm »
Yeah, looking forward to seeing Up.

Coraline gets five gold stars from me too. Looking forward to the 3D Alice in Wonderland from Burton as well.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #213 on: August 4, 2009, 12:53:20 pm »
Ella Enchanted

This really is rather good for two reasons. Firstly, it's well written and well acted, with plenty of funny lines and cameos. Secondly, it has Anne Hathaway in it, and to be honest, I would watch her doing pretty much anything, as long as she smiled every now and again. Anyway, fun for small boys, girls of any age (my wife loved it) and men who like Anne Hathaway. In fact, the only segment of the population who might not enjoy this would be boys over 8 and under 13, who might think they're too cool to watch it (but will secretly enjoy it anyway).

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2009, 05:31:40 pm »
Race To Witch Mountain

Starring Dwayne Johnson (who was some sort of WWF chappie in an earlier life, I believe), Carla Gugino (yum) and some identikit kids. We all liked this alien landing yarn, it clips along at a decent pace, and the storyline is X files lite. Johnson, in particular, is very charming, and the other leads are all good. Some great effects and not too dumb (for a Disney movie). Not for very small kids, there's one especially brutish alien assassin type guy. Here's the trailer...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Buai86C0gY4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Buai86C0gY4</a>

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2009, 06:01:55 pm »
Downloaded Ice Age 3 the other day, not expecting it to be Pixar standards but looks entertaining enough

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2009, 08:24:21 pm »
looking at the thread title I don't think it's a swap many parents will go for
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2009, 03:21:03 am »
Coraline gets five gold stars from me too. Looking forward to the 3D Alice in Wonderland from Burton as well.

Fuck, is nothing coming out that's not in fucking 3D?

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2009, 03:46:27 am »
Watership Down...
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2009, 11:42:48 am »
Hotel For Dogs

Cutesy, anthropomorphic but enjoyable, especially if you like dogs. The story of an orphan brother and sister who are shunted from one horrible foster home to another until they come across a disused hotel which, by a series of unlikely steps, becomes a hotel for...well, dogs. Special mentions for Lisa Kudrow and Kevin Dillon as the awful foster parents.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2009, 12:46:07 am »
Watership Down...

Thats not a kids film!!!!

YNWA Rafa.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2009, 12:49:16 am »
coraline is the scariest shit i've ever seen. proper horrible!!

My 6 year old went to see G force (3D  ::) ) the other day and loved it but at over £7 to get in so he bloody well should!!

hotel for dogs was quite good too agree.

and we went to see race to witch moutain in odeon kids club(Which is boss) and he enjoyed that too, i kept laughing at the rock though the cheesy fucker ;D

Offline SpenceUK1968

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2009, 01:32:28 am »
My boys enjoyed watching Tombestone...not much in the way of swearing and no obvious sex, it's a good old fashioned cowboy flick.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2009, 01:37:09 am »
My boys enjoyed watching Tombestone...not much in the way of swearing and no obvious sex, it's a good old fashioned cowboy flick.

Brokeback Mountain is supposed to be good so let them see that one.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline SpenceUK1968

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2009, 01:52:44 am »
Brokeback Mountain is supposed to be good so let them see that one.

:o   I think I'll leave all that stuff up to the school sex ed classes. They can just learn about being cold eyed killers at home  :D

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2009, 11:15:30 pm »
the pacifier
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2009, 08:37:59 pm »
went to see ice age 3 today, was ok, but BUT BUT BUT what i saw before the film was what i got so excited about. my favourite book growin up has been made into a film:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2620588569/

FANTASTIC MR. FOX!!!

cant wait for it!!! ;D

Offline Melanie.

• Redheads Rule. Redheaded REDS rule MORE. Fact. Vodka-sucking-non-warbling-Dorothy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has red hair
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2009, 12:21:34 am »
Up was pretty good. The old guy looked scarily like my old Thermodynamics professor.
I really want to see this. Might let the kids watch too.
to be honest I didn't know the old meaning but having googled, this means the next time someone called me ginger pubes i can go "NO! FIRE_CROTCH"
Me too.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #228 on: August 23, 2009, 11:33:35 pm »
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth.

This lively romp gives top billing, over the title, to Brendan Fraser. We like him in our house, he has a nice face and he does these nerdy but turns out brave guys well. Hollywood appears to agree because he's the man in demand for kids' movies. He even gets a producer credit on this one. Speaking of men in demand, his costar is Josh Hutcherson, who is clearly not getting much in the way of formal education having lead roles in Bridge To Terabithia, Zathura and Firehouse Dog recently.

Anyway, the plot of this caper is very pacy but relatively untroubled by any sort of sense, so it's down to the effects, which are excellent, and it's stars. Fraser does his usual amiable entertaining thing and Hutcherson makes a good sullen teenager who thankfully brightens up early on. The real treat is Anita Briem, the immensely capable female influence in the movie.  Being largely set in Iceland..sort of...they've actually gone to the trouble of getting a real Icelandic actress who (a) is totally hot and charming and (b) isn't Bjork.

There were some laugh out loud moments for me in this movie, a few of which weren't intended by the makers, but it's a pleasant enough way to keep the kids and yourself occupied before bed. Not for smallies, there are scary monsters.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #229 on: August 23, 2009, 11:50:46 pm »
The Spiderwick Chronicles. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but it'd make a fantastic rental for a family film in these last holiday days. Superior fare.
We go to the cinema frequently- on average, once a week, because I want the kids to appreciate filmgoing as a whole other experience and we've seen a lot of the new crop of 3D titles. Anyway, the main point is that the big chains all do very decent kids deals which seem to have passed many parents by. Odeon's Kids' Club is great value- £2.50 per child, adult goes free.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2009, 08:01:56 pm »
Where The Wild Things Are, Spike Jonze.

This is a film adaptation of a very famous kids book by Maurice Sendak. American famous, though, which means I only read it when I first heard of this movie this year and was thus unburdened by any sort of long term attachment. Briefly, a nine year old boy fights with his mum, voyages off to an island, meets some monsters, becomes their king and is home in time for tea. It needed to be padded out to movie length but it's a testament to the film that it all feels just like the book, with the same dark, dreamy quality.

This is a proper kids movie, folks, a serious kids movie in that it is told at the exact level of a nine year old boy. It's fun and exciting and not a little scary, but it is also grubby and unpleasant at times. Most of all, the monsters are basically kids, too, so that their moods are changeable and they often feel scared or lonely. They don't, however, have parents (about which more later). The film is actually a little uncomfortable at times, as most good kids movies are. Interchanging slapstick destruction with genuine fear, which is basically what being a nine year old boy is all about, it's a beautifully unvarnished show, a real contrast to the slick, glossy, "comes with adult gags too" sort of films that target kids nowadays.

There's a point, too, which is that being a kid has advantages and disadvantages. You have to do what you're told but you also get minded. There's a moment where the boy says to one of the monsters "I wish you had a mom". I read a review of this film in one of the "big" US papers where the reviewer complained that children would leave the movie wondering why the monsters were all unhappy. I asked my eight year old what he thought the boy meant about wishing for a mom for the monsters and he calmly explained that the monsters needed a mom so they'd behave and then they'd be happier. Maybe he should write reviews.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #231 on: December 28, 2009, 08:21:49 pm »
Where The Wild Things Are, Spike Jonze.

I'm in my thirties and I didn't think kids would like it at all after seeing it. Just didn't think it has a tone for kids, it's very melancholy.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #232 on: December 28, 2009, 10:13:01 pm »
I'm in my thirties and I didn't think kids would like it at all after seeing it. Just didn't think it has a tone for kids, it's very melancholy.

That's why I said it's a serious kids movie. Kids can handle a little melancholy, there's a reason why the book was such a big hit.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

This is really, really funny for kids and adults. Very cool animation, great writing, nice story, completely mental. The last line is "I'm a chicken!". Suitable for all.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2010, 09:44:19 pm »
'Up' is out on Monday. The value is in the pack with Blu Ray (for Dad), DVD (for the kids) and a digital copy version.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2010, 09:47:48 pm »
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

This is really, really funny for kids and adults. Very cool animation, great writing, nice story, completely mental. The last line is "I'm a chicken!". Suitable for all.
I thought it was quite average in all honesty, even the kids weren't too blown away by it. Much the same as Planet 51 if only a slight bit better.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #236 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »
I thought it was quite average in all honesty, even the kids weren't too blown away by it. Much the same as Planet 51 if only a slight bit better.

Yeah, I had a look on metacritic after, as is my habit, and I was expecting a number in the 80s but it got 66. All I can say is me, the wife and the boy, 8, really liked it.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #237 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:24 pm »
'Up' is out on Monday. The value is in the pack with Blu Ray (for Dad), DVD (for the kids) and a digital copy version.

Wish Id ordered it from Play. £9.99 AND it would have arrived today!

YNWA Rafa.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #238 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:41 pm »

Amazon shipped it to me yesterday.  Good film, kids like it, something in it for adults too...

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »
Amazon shipped it to me yesterday.  Good film, kids like it, something in it for adults too...
The montage which chronicled their life together had one six foot, 15 stone bloke crying in the dark.

It wasn't me. Oh no.