Author Topic: Rhys Williams  (Read 76766 times)

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rhys Williams
« Reply #640 on: May 24, 2021, 03:58:35 pm »
Just think how much this season has transformed his career. Had gone from a loan move in the conference north, probably hoping to get a contract after us I league 2, to being exposed to the prem and now will likely make it as a championship defender

Off the top of my head, Chris Smalling went from Isthmian League Premier Division to Premier League with Fulham. He should get a good move to the Championship/ League 1, or if he fancies it, a move overseas.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #641 on: May 24, 2021, 04:21:14 pm »
Few would know who these two are but for the long line of walking wounded.

Now they are written into LFC history.

So what we have learned, if we didn't know it already, is that you can become a PL footballer if you have enough of the physical attributes, the desire, and you get the chance to play PL football, week in, week out.  Even if you were playing for Kidderminster a year ago.

So what these two need, more than anything, is to continue to play PL matches, week in, week out. 

If they stay at LFC, they won't get to do that. If they go elsewhere, then they won't be available to bail LFC out the next time the other CB's go down.

Therein lies the conundrum.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #642 on: May 24, 2021, 04:25:13 pm »
A few extra Kg would make a world of difference with him too I reckon

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: May 24, 2021, 04:33:47 pm »
think a loan to Blackburn(Elliott done great there) would be a ideal.
They play a decent style of football & there manager trusts young players.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #644 on: May 24, 2021, 05:35:51 pm »
Was very impressed with him yesterday. Very calm and composed on the ball, really good in the air and tackling. There's definitely a footballer in there with more experience and improvement physically. If we're keeping someone around as a 5th choice next season I really wouldn't mind if it was him.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: May 24, 2021, 07:20:10 pm »
A few extra Kg would make a world of difference with him too I reckon

Like Sepp who has really started to fill out.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #646 on: May 24, 2021, 07:44:29 pm »
Honestly, he is a cracking prospect. His passing was sublime today. He has looked better and better as the season has progressed.

I have seen people mention that he lacks pace to play in a Klopp team. I don't think that is true.

What he lacks is ability to anticipate plays sometimes. Once you are a CB chasing a forward who is through on goal its always tough to catch up and make a tackle. Even VVD and Gomez, don't rely on their pace that much. Maybe once every 10 games or so, they will use their speed to pull off a great recovery tackle.

What great CB's do is read the game, cut out the long balls and through balls or play a tight offside trap. Those are things Rhys can learn with more first team experience. He already looks the part. In the last run of games we have been dominating the play largely thanks to Rhys and Nat cutting out the threat from long balls and playing with confidence.

Agreed, he has the passing range you need nowadays and maybe more gym work as he fills out will help add a tiny bit more explosive pace from a standing start.

The way he got caught out in the Burnley and West Brom games was mostly not knowing what the attacker or the ball might do.

Let's give him 2 years then see where he is at. Next year should be a loan to a Championship side (blackburn was a good shout) and see how he develops.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #647 on: May 24, 2021, 10:02:30 pm »
He's certainly grown both physically and mentally over the season. Last few matches I wasn't concerned about him being in the team, which is a great compliment to his progress.

A season on loan will do him a world of good and if one of the 'big three' CBs don't get back to their best we've got options for the future.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: May 24, 2021, 10:06:00 pm »
I actually wouldn't mind both Rhys and Sepp going on loan to the Bundesliga next season ...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: May 24, 2021, 10:26:51 pm »
I actually wouldn't mind both Rhys and Sepp going on loan to the Bundesliga next season ...

I think Sepp is going back to PNE.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline suede lady

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: May 25, 2021, 03:33:24 pm »

Dont think there are many clubs on that level that would take them. Too raw. A step or two down is probably better.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #651 on: May 25, 2021, 03:36:38 pm »
Given the big clubs plying their trade in Bundesliga II next season, a year over there wouldn’t be the worst deals we could organise.
AHA!

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #652 on: May 25, 2021, 05:06:49 pm »
Presume that Nat can already speak a bit of German too?

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #653 on: May 25, 2021, 05:33:12 pm »
Think a loan is definitely in order next season, really hope we can find him a good level. I think the championship would be perfect, ideally not a team scrapping at the bottom but beggars can't be choosers. Certainly wouldn't consider loaning him to a league 1 side after a few good performances in the prem. That's not to say he's destined to play 500 matches in this league but he's better than that. 40 odd games in the championship next season would be lovely. Sepp has done really well with Preston and might go back there for another full season, seems to be doing him a world of good and he's been playing right back. It's a decent league no doubt, and if you can impress around their ages it bodes well for the future of these players.

If he was to go and do well in the championship say, I think the year after we'd have plenty asking for him on loan, probably in top leagues, be it the prem or somewhere like the Bundesliga. In my eyes anyway that would be good career progression for him, and if he succeeds he could come back in a year or two as a more experienced and confident centre back. If you get loan moves wrong they can be a killer, but if you get them right you could make a player better than expected. Time is certainly on R. Williams's side.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #654 on: May 25, 2021, 06:45:32 pm »
Rhys has had a great end to the season. He has got his chance to play for us and that is something that will stay with him for the rest of his career. He is a good defender and will improve further. Unfortunately he just lacks that yard or two of pace and that rules him out of being a long term solution. Other than that he is a solid player with a good future ahead.
#JFT97

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: May 25, 2021, 07:45:08 pm »
Dont think there are many clubs on that level that would take them. Too raw. A step or two down is probably better.

Unlike the Premier League clubs, the Bundesliga clubs are not really afraid to play youngsters. I think that we could find nice loans for Rhys and Sepp there. Of course, the likes of Schalke, HSV or Werder in the 2.Bundesliga could also be good destinations ...

Online Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: May 26, 2021, 09:11:05 am »
Unlike the Premier League clubs, the Bundesliga clubs are not really afraid to play youngsters. I think that we could find nice loans for Rhys and Sepp there. Of course, the likes of Schalke, HSV or Werder in the 2.Bundesliga could also be good destinations ...

Assuming Kabak stays, send both Rhys & Nat there on loan for a "Liverpool Gap Filling Centre Halves Reunion 2021".

Saying that though, if next season's anything like this one all three will be back by January to give Adrian & Kelleher a break from playing CB

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: May 26, 2021, 09:18:23 am »

I think Sepp is going back to PNE.
I think that's a good move for Sepp.

Williams has had the great experience of playing at the highest level and in really important games.  I think he'd still benefit from a season at a League One club that play 'modern' football (Blackpool if they don't get promoted or Oxford, for example).  He's still only 20 so no need to rush him and better that he goes somewhere where he'll play the majority of games than be loaned out only to become a fourth choice.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: May 26, 2021, 09:49:12 am »
Not sure he'd benefit from a move to League One given the experiences he's had this season - having played in the PL and CL, and improved over the course of the season, playing below Championship level would be a big drop down when ideally you'd like him to maintain and build on the momentum of the run he's had in our first-team at as high a level as possible.

Looking at how the likes of Marc Guehi and Taylor Harwood-Bellis have thrived and developed in the Championship, that's the kind of move that Williams needs now.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: May 26, 2021, 10:20:05 am »
Would benefit greatly for a loan in the Championship. If Blackpool come up there’s a connection there to smooth things. Klopp will also trust Mowbray I’d have thought so that’s a good option as well.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #660 on: May 26, 2021, 10:21:04 am »
Would benefit greatly for a loan in the Championship. If Blackpool come up there’s a connection there to smooth things. Klopp will also trust Mowbray I’d have thought so that’s a good option as well.

Isn't he a PNE fan?  ;D
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: May 26, 2021, 10:26:15 am »
Would have loved him to have scored that header.

Isn't he a PNE fan?  ;D

No way would he want to play for the Donkey Lashers (PNE fan described them as that to me)
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #662 on: August 31, 2021, 06:39:57 pm »
New deal (running until 2026) and a loan to Swansea City for the 2021-22 campaign.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/442346-rhys-williams-signs-new-lfc-deal-and-completes-swansea-loan

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #663 on: September 1, 2021, 03:13:54 pm »
New deal (running until 2026) and a loan to Swansea City for the 2021-22 campaign.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/442346-rhys-williams-signs-new-lfc-deal-and-completes-swansea-loan

Insane to think that a player on loan at Kidderminster Harriers ends up making six appearances in the Champions League in the subsequent season. Here’s hoping he gets plenty of games in at Swansea which looks like a fantastic move for him.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #664 on: June 28, 2023, 12:12:19 pm »
Off to Aberdeen on season long loan. Good stuff all round.

Offline Smudge

• Epic Troll and one hell of a Richarlison...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #665 on: June 28, 2023, 12:31:53 pm »
Good move for him

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #666 on: June 28, 2023, 12:39:15 pm »
Good luck to him, think he'll do well there and could potentially get a Championship move out of this in the end.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #667 on: June 28, 2023, 05:24:09 pm »
Good luck to him.

Hope he’s got a good stock of Under Armour or at least a decent pair of long johns. :D

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: June 28, 2023, 07:57:08 pm »
Good luck to him

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #669 on: June 28, 2023, 08:00:33 pm »
Would have loved him to have scored that header.

No way would he want to play for the Donkey Lashers (PNE fan described them as that to me)

Blackpool fans = Donkey Lashers

PNE fans = Nob Enders