Author Topic: Mascherano  (Read 220388 times)

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Re: Mascherano
« Reply #200 on: January 4, 2007, 03:29:45 pm »
I would suggest he would be direct opposition to Alonso with Sissoko and Gerrard fighting it out for the further forward of the 2 central midfielders.

On the odd occasion we play 5 in the middle, we would probably go back to the Valencia method of Alonso, Gerrard and one of Sissoko/Mascarano, plus two wingers, one of which would probably be Garcia.

I see no probelms with those two systems, and Mascarano would give us that Hamann-esque player we do need. I have been saying it for ages that Hamann was a big loss, Alonso just doesn't do quite the same job.

Absolutely spot on.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #201 on: January 4, 2007, 03:32:14 pm »
I would suggest he would be direct opposition to Alonso with Sissoko and Gerrard fighting it out for the further forward of the 2 central midfielders.
And you can actually "rotate Alonso" without seriously reducing the quality of the starting 11.
Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 4, 2007, 03:34:07 pm »
He looked a hell of a player until he joined West Ham.

so did Sheva, all depends on the teams style of play
SoS #364

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 4, 2007, 03:36:56 pm »
so did Sheva, all depends on the teams style of play

To an extent, but also age, attitude, ability, how they adapt and whether they are given a chance.

Offline Strutter

• Main Stander
« Reply #204 on: January 4, 2007, 03:41:18 pm »
To an extent, but also age, attitude, ability, how they adapt and whether they are given a chance.

Exactly. Macquerano has played a total of 6 minutes since October.   ::)

Hardly a reason for anyone to say he's not cut it.

He's not been given the opputunity to make anyone think either way.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #205 on: January 4, 2007, 03:41:55 pm »
It's no different to what we have now.

We effectively have four central midfielders - SG, Alonso, Sissoko and Zenden.

I'm not sure Rafa was interested in extending Zenden's contract or not, but with Sissoko out for a while he can bring in a replacement on loan (which is the deal being talked about) and then decide in the summer which of the two to keep. He doesn't have to alter his tactics to play all these players.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #206 on: January 4, 2007, 03:42:07 pm »
I'd be delighted with those 2 coming in. Mascherano has immense potential and Neil offers cover across the entire defence, indeed into the midfield as well. If we clinch those 2 signings we'd have significantly strengthened the squad.

spot on

i we had got mascherano in the summer before west ham then we would have been made up - he was excellent in the world cup

£6m for mascherano and £1-2m for Neill?  yes please!
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline liverlon

• Main Stander
  • We can be heroes
« Reply #207 on: January 4, 2007, 03:43:26 pm »

On the odd occasion we play 5 in the middle, we would probably go back to the Valencia method of Alonso, Gerrard and one of Sissoko/Mascarano, plus two wingers, one of which would probably be Garcia.

I see no probelms with those two systems, and Mascarano would give us that Hamann-esque player we do need. I have been saying it for ages that Hamann was a big loss, Alonso just doesn't do quite the same job.

Yup! Thats the heart of the matter.
Jeeze, its almost as if Rafa knows exactly what he's doing!  ;)

Offline luap

• Main Stander
« Reply #208 on: January 4, 2007, 03:48:59 pm »
Honestly, ignoring the the possible complications of of the MSI/contract thingy, how could Mascarano joining Liverpool be a bad thing? What possible negative consequences would having him at the club bring? I think it would be a great signing, on loan or otherwise.
Use this  X3XWU7C66 refferal code when signing onto Betfair, and we both get a free £20. Simple.

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: January 4, 2007, 04:01:22 pm »
Someone explain to me why the FIFA rule doesn't apply here. If we go by FIFA's definition of July 1st to June 30th being their calendar year, Mascherano has appeared for both Corinthians and West Ham during that time frame. He played 5 games for Corinthians between July 30th and August 27th, then appeared for West Ham on Sep. 10th and has appeared a total of 10 times.

Certainly seems like the "no more than 2 clubs in a year" rule counts here?

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 4, 2007, 04:02:54 pm »
you're allowed to appeal against the ruling, and cos of his shabby treatment by the Hammers I reckon he'll be allowed to move to us
SoS #364

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: January 4, 2007, 04:08:23 pm »
Someone explain to me why the FIFA rule doesn't apply here. If we go by FIFA's definition of July 1st to June 30th being their calendar year, Mascherano has appeared for both Corinthians and West Ham during that time frame. He played 5 games for Corinthians between July 30th and August 27th, then appeared for West Ham on Sep. 10th and has appeared a total of 10 times.

Certainly seems like the "no more than 2 clubs in a year" rule counts here?

Brazilian season ends on December 31.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 4, 2007, 04:10:51 pm »
Maybe I am struggling to grasp the idea that Javier...... who has failed to make an impact in our league, whos buy out clause is reportly 35m, who may cost us an initial 5m fee plus 50k plus a week & whos resolve to succeed at West Ham became tepid before you could say bench..will actually add to our squad.

Yep hes the perfect experienced old head to fill Hamanns shoes. Anybody want to find the 101 reasons / threads why everyone was happy Alonso was Hamanns replacement?
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 4, 2007, 04:11:09 pm »
Brazilian season ends on December 31.

But does FIFA care about that? What they consider to be the 06 season runs from July 1st to June 30th, and Mascherano has played for 2 clubs in that time frame.

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #214 on: January 4, 2007, 04:13:18 pm »
But does FIFA care about that? What they consider to be the 06 season runs from July 1st to June 30th, and Mascherano has played for 2 clubs in that time frame.

I don't think the club would be progressing this unless they were 100% sure he would be able to play this season.

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 4, 2007, 04:13:37 pm »
so you mean the last two clubs in twelve months was in fact the last calendar year by Mascheranos time-table, in which case Bascombe was right in that, fifa only need to ratify that interpretation of things.
However if they think his year starts at the same time as us i,e. last summer then he's into the three clubs in a year scenario
How come pointed questions recieve blunt answers

Offline liverlon

• Main Stander
  • We can be heroes
« Reply #216 on: January 4, 2007, 04:27:27 pm »

If we're going for him with an initial six month loan option, then I think we'll have sorted this out, don't you?
Otherwise there'd be no point in him coming, would there?   ::)

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 4, 2007, 04:32:07 pm »
But does FIFA care about that?

Yes they do.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 4, 2007, 04:34:44 pm »
Does anyone know the actual wording of this 3 clubs in a year or season or whatever the fuck it is, actually is?

Oh, and if it stipulates a 'year' or a 'season', what their definition is and the dates they stipulate within their definition.

Been looking on FIFA.com but it's all pdfs and I'm lazy.

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 4, 2007, 04:36:39 pm »
Does anyone know the actual wording of this 3 clubs in a year or season or whatever the fuck it is, actually is?

Oh, and if it stipulates a 'year' or a 'season', what their definition is and the dates they stipulate within their definition.

So am I so if you look it up let me know

Offline AdamR

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 4, 2007, 04:37:13 pm »
Him and Neill would be great would for the prices said

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 4, 2007, 04:37:51 pm »
they must be SOME chance of him playing, otherwise all the rumours wouldn't suffice?! :-\
SoS #364

Offline The Finn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: January 4, 2007, 04:39:32 pm »
If we're going for him with an initial six month loan option, then I think we'll have sorted this out, don't you?
Otherwise there'd be no point in him coming, would there?   ::)

Fair enough just confused by it to be honest.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 4, 2007, 04:41:15 pm »
they must be SOME chance of him playing, otherwise all the rumours wouldn't suffice?! :-\

Sure I read in this thread that the vice president of FIFA is an Argentinian, and there's hope he'll pull some strings cos it'll effect Mascherano's career if he's left twiddling his thumbs at West Ham til the Summer, and he'll also lose his place in the national side, obviously.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: January 4, 2007, 04:42:12 pm »
Maybe I am struggling to grasp the idea that Javier...... who has failed to make an impact in our league, whos buy out clause is reportly 35m, who may cost us an initial 5m fee plus 50k plus a week & whos resolve to succeed at West Ham became tepid before you could say bench..will actually add to our squad.

Yep hes the perfect experienced old head to fill Hamanns shoes. Anybody want to find the 101 reasons / threads why everyone was happy Alonso was Hamanns replacement?

Well he's not old, he's young.

People are probably excited because in the World Cup and at his previous clubs he looked like one of the most promising players in the world.

And Zenden is no replacement for Didi, nor is Xabi. He's a different type of player.

If we can pick him up on loan or on the cheap, maybe Rafa can get the best out of him.

West Ham have hardly tried.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: January 4, 2007, 04:43:28 pm »
So am I so if you look it up let me know

Think it might be in this somewhere: REGULATIONS FOR THE STATUS AND TRANSFER OF PLAYERS - http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/Annex_TRANSFER_EN.pdf

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 4, 2007, 04:43:34 pm »
Sure I read in this thread that the vice president of FIFA is an Argentinian, and there's hope he'll pull some strings cos it'll effect Mascherano's career if he's left twiddling his thumbs at West Ham til the Summer, and he'll also lose his place in the national side, obviously.

if that's the case he'll DEFO play as they're all corrupt lol!!!
SoS #364

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #227 on: January 4, 2007, 04:44:39 pm »
Very tidy player playing for the Argies in the WC.

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole as there's nothing to suggest MSI wouldn't still own him, even if we paid 6 million, what would that be for 6 months or a year?

Good player but lousy business deal, every major club in Europe won't deal with MSI, why should we be any different?

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 4, 2007, 04:48:28 pm »
Loan deal though carn't see what we would lose

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 4, 2007, 04:48:46 pm »
Very tidy player playing for the Argies in the WC.

Wouldn't touch him with a barge pole as there's nothing to suggest MSI wouldn't still own him, even if we paid 6 million, what would that be for 6 months or a year?

Good player but lousy business deal, every major club in Europe won't deal with MSI, why should we be any different?

I struggle to believe that our board, and manager are stupid.

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 4, 2007, 04:51:07 pm »
Think it might be in this somewhere: REGULATIONS FOR THE STATUS AND TRANSFER OF PLAYERS - http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/Annex_TRANSFER_EN.pdf

takes too long to load, almost messed up my comp!!! :(
SoS #364

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #231 on: January 4, 2007, 04:51:12 pm »

The exact rule has been posted on the forum earlier in regards to the Kromkamp deal.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 4, 2007, 04:51:17 pm »

Article 5.3 - Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year.  During this period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs.

That's from the FA rules book.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 4, 2007, 04:57:53 pm »

That pdf is about Futsal, but whatever, the rules and regs appear to be pretty much the same... :-\

Says this anyway:

"Players may be registered for a maximum of three futsal clubs during
the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this
period, the player is only eligible to play in Offi cial Matches for two
clubs. The number of eleven-a-side clubs with which the same player
may also be registered during the period from 1 July until 30 June of
the following year is specifi ed in Art. 5 par. 3 of the Regulations for
the Status and Transfer of Players."

The year is defined as July - June, and that means he's played for two already and would require FIFA to grant him permission.

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 4, 2007, 05:06:10 pm »
That pdf is about Futsal, but whatever, the rules and regs appear to be pretty much the same... :-\

Says this anyway:

"Players may be registered for a maximum of three futsal clubs during
the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this
period, the player is only eligible to play in Offi cial Matches for two
clubs. The number of eleven-a-side clubs with which the same player
may also be registered during the period from 1 July until 30 June of
the following year is specifi ed in Art. 5 par. 3 of the Regulations for
the Status and Transfer of Players."

The year is defined as July - June, and that means he's played for two already and would require FIFA to grant him permission.

but in the echo stry the last time he played for his previous club was dec 2005, so surely since july he has only played for one club
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #235 on: January 4, 2007, 05:09:27 pm »
Some people are asking what position Marscherano plays.
He is a "number 5" in Argentinina football jargon, a DM who sits in front of the defense, to protect the back four and has a tidy distribution. I would compare him with Makelele or with Hamman but more dynamic.
I personally rate him much higher than Sissoko, who is the better athlete but far worse footballer.
He would be ideal in a 3 CMs set up, but I am not sure that's what Benitez is after, as he is a very strong advocate of Sacchi's 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

Having Marcherano in the team would allow Xabi to play further up the pitch, but that would mean Gerrard on the wing unless Benitez changes his system (very unlikely).
When paired with Gerrard it would allow Steven to play a more attacking game as Marcherano is faster to cover central gaps, but I can't imagine Alonso sitting on the bench.
If Marcherano is signed Sissoko's minutes on the pitch would be reduced dramatically, but there may be problems with Gerrard having to play on the wing.

利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #236 on: January 4, 2007, 05:19:43 pm »
Loan deal though carn't see what we would lose

Anywhere between 1-6 million depending on what you read, plus wages, for what?
Around 10 games as Xabi's understudy?

Offline Ole Gunnar

• Legacy Fan
  • In it to win it!
« Reply #237 on: January 4, 2007, 05:31:28 pm »
Anywhere between 1-6 million depending on what you read, plus wages, for what?
Around 10 games as Xabi's understudy?
Surely the £6m mentioned is if we decide to buy him at the end of the season?
Bart: Dad, what's a Muppet?

Homer: Well, it's not quite a mop, not quite a puppet, but man... (laughs, then pauses) So, to answer you question, I don't know.

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #238 on: January 4, 2007, 05:32:52 pm »
Heard he's in Liverpool as we speak having a medical. Could be done by the weekend...
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 4, 2007, 05:35:50 pm »
Kinell thats a long medical ;D