Author Topic: Terry Venables dies: Former England manager passes away aged 80  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Terry Venables dies: Former England manager passes away aged 80
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2023, 03:24:39 pm »
He should've won Barca their first European Cup. How the hell did Steaua Bucharest win in 86?  :D

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2023, 03:25:17 pm »
I always remember him as the only England manager to understand how to use McManaman and appreciate players who didn't only exist in rigid systems. Gazza also flourished under him. His England played some very good football and it's one of the only times I've actively wanted them to do well. Pity he was allowed to leave over something so inconsequential and replaced with Hoddle and his faith healer!

RIP El Tel
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2023, 11:21:27 pm »
Rip El Tel.

Charismatic and talented coach. He would have done very well in the modern game today
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2023, 11:27:51 pm »
RIP

seemed like a nice lad :( x
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2023, 11:32:47 pm »
RIP . Managed England really well and oversaw that game v Holland in Euro 96.  The best I've seen England play ever.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Chavasse1917

• Legacy Fan
  • “Winning trophies has made me put on weight.”
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2023, 11:38:56 pm »
I gave up going to England games many years ago, mainly because of the Neanderthals who follow them, but in 96 I was lucky enough to be at Wembley for both the Scotland and Netherlands games, the best I saw live.  They were probably the most exciting team that England have put out, mainly due to Venables tactics and allowing them to play to their strengths. He was good at his job and a nice fella too.
RIP El Tel.
"Everything has an end...except a sausage, which has two".

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2023, 10:30:14 am »
Invented the Christmas tree formation 20 years before others started playing it and calling it some new one upfront invention.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2023, 10:47:32 am »
He should've won Barca their first European Cup. How the hell did Steaua Bucharest win in 86?  :D
watched highlights of it last night with the day that was in it and yeah bloody hell, Barca all over for them but couldnt score

The penalties were awful, Barca keeper saved two and they still didnt win. Duckadam saved 4 penalties out of 4
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2023, 10:48:38 am »
Very sad news this

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR