Author Topic: 2018 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 203838 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: 2018 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #2000 on: July 19, 2018, 11:56:14 am »
In a move that will shock absolutely no one. Lewis Hamilton signs new contract taking him up to the end of the 2020 season. Will make £30-40 Million a season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44884683

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2001 on: July 19, 2018, 11:58:03 am »
That ferruci kid sounds like a right twat doesn't he?

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: July 19, 2018, 12:05:19 pm »
That ferruci kid sounds like a right twat doesn't he?

Doesn't he just. Haas to consider if he will remain their development driver.

I've not looked but I assume his career in Motorsport is bankrolled?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2003 on: July 19, 2018, 12:44:49 pm »

With the way Hass are tip-toeing around it I would guess so.

But he's pretty much imploded his driving career. He's been dropped from his team and management.

He's been previously fined for using his mobile whilst driving a F2 car.

I'm all for having characters in F1 but this guy is an idiot

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2004 on: July 19, 2018, 01:00:58 pm »
With the way Hass are tip-toeing around it I would guess so.

That's what made me wonder. There doesn't seem to be any other reason why it's even worthy of consideration.

Obviously been brought up use to having everything his own way.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2005 on: July 19, 2018, 02:00:05 pm »

He's been previously fined for using his mobile whilst driving a F2 car.

how the hell he manage that
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2006 on: July 19, 2018, 03:42:06 pm »
In a move that will shock absolutely no one. Lewis Hamilton signs new contract taking him up to the end of the 2020 season. Will make £30-40 Million a season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44884683

Wouldn't shock me one bit if he hung up his helmet after this contract, he'll be 35, big set of regulation changes with no idea what the order will look like, has said a lot that hes lining up things to do outside of the sport etc. This way he will likely go out while still being in a competitive car, hes the last person on the grid that would hang about dragging shite cars to 9th place finishes in his mid-30's.

Struggling to imagine a grid without him, and its strange to think about it, I remember when he burst onto the scene in that Melbourne race and now we're probably just a few years away from him leaving. Will enjoy him while it lasts, hopefully he can grab another title before he hangs it up.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2007 on: July 19, 2018, 04:50:09 pm »
Well the reason why it's only a 2 year deal is because thats when Mercedes contract with F1 runs out so would be a natural end point. 2020 and 2021 regulations are going to make or break the sport.

I would love to see a Hamilton/Vettel rivalry for the next 2 seasons to see who is the best F1 driver of this era of F1.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2008 on: July 19, 2018, 06:39:56 pm »
Doesn't he just. Haas to consider if he will remain their development driver.

His time at Trident was bankrolled by a person who I’d guess is his dad according to this from Autosport.com:

Trident has cited Ferrucci's actions, as well as payment issues, for the reason of the contract termination.

The statement said Trident had "communicated to Santino Ferrucci and to its guarantor, a company represented by Mr Michael Ferrucci, the termination of the contract with the team.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2009 on: July 19, 2018, 08:37:26 pm »
2020 is the logical thing to sign to, that's when the current Concorde agreement runs to. Although I don't have much faith in the formula 1 group. Wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari and Mercedes exit the sport as well as Vettel and Hamilton.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2010 on: July 19, 2018, 08:42:02 pm »
2020 is the logical thing to sign to, that's when the current Concorde agreement runs to. Although I don't have much faith in the formula 1 group. Wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari and Mercedes exit the sport as well as Vettel and Hamilton.

nah. I'm not having that.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2011 on: July 19, 2018, 08:46:46 pm »
nah. I'm not having that.

Well Carey wants to change things up, more affordable engines, that isn't in the interests of either manufacturer considering the amount of time and resource they've put into hybrid engine development.

Ross Brawn keeps saying they aren't far from agreeing so will be interesting to see what the new regs are.

Also surely Mercedes have a good idea what the regulations will be, I'm sure they'd of conveyed that to Lewis. The fact he's only signed till 2020 might be telling
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 08:54:35 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2012 on: July 20, 2018, 10:47:48 am »
Bottas has signed til end of 2019 with an option for 2020

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2013 on: July 20, 2018, 11:17:39 am »
He's improved this year. His points tally might not have done but that's down to some abysmal fortune rather than anything he's done wrong.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2014 on: July 20, 2018, 12:31:38 pm »
Danny ric to start at back apparently

was fastest in fp1
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2015 on: July 20, 2018, 07:39:32 pm »
they're going with 18" wheels and skinny profile tyres in a few years too. I wasn't a fan personally when they did the example a few years back. also making the front tyre slightly narrower.

the tyre specs for the required amount of deg are very complicated. fair play to any manufacturer that can do that.

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2016 on: July 21, 2018, 08:39:45 am »
Danny ric to start at back apparently

was fastest in fp1

Yep and it's fucking ridiculous too.  A 20 place grid penalty for using in excess of two parts per season for the MGU-K and a few other bits.  There's cost saving and then there's whatever the fuck this is.  Bottom line is that one of the most fun to watch racers in one of the most competetive teams is starting at the back rather than competing for a podium or a win.  Any more similar issues for Danny and it'll be the same shite.  It's madness.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2017 on: July 21, 2018, 09:01:23 am »
anyone moaning at the rules should remember that the teams voted for them.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2018 on: July 21, 2018, 02:21:00 pm »
Lewis trying to push the car home from about Turn 3!  Fucking hell...
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2019 on: July 21, 2018, 02:24:38 pm »
Potential winners list for this race is getting shorter.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2020 on: July 21, 2018, 02:25:20 pm »
Had better days...

Vettels lead going into the summer break is going to be massive

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2021 on: July 21, 2018, 02:25:52 pm »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2022 on: July 21, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »

:D

Still, alot can happen between now and the chequered flag tomorrow. Good start though

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2023 on: July 21, 2018, 02:29:05 pm »
Realistically Raikkonen isn't going to win so we're down to just 3 now.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2024 on: July 21, 2018, 02:45:41 pm »
Miss the old Hockenheim, cars going down those straights was one of my F1 highlights in the 90s.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2025 on: July 21, 2018, 02:49:04 pm »
Miss the old Hockenheim, cars going down those straights was one of my F1 highlights in the 90s.

Yeah it was great. Loved it. The trees overhanging the track before the sharp breaking. Great sight

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2026 on: July 21, 2018, 02:54:01 pm »
Ferrari have done a brilliant job with the customer teams btw

Haas are probably the fourth best team on the grid now. If they can improve there chassis they could be third best next season  if Honda don't deliver with red bull

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2027 on: July 21, 2018, 02:58:57 pm »
Leclerc nearly 8/10ths ahead of his teammate in Q2.  Realy impressive.  I have the feeling that Verstappen vs Leclerc might turn out to be the next big rivalry after Lewis and Seb are done.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2028 on: July 21, 2018, 02:59:47 pm »
Had better days...

Vettels lead going into the summer break is going to be massive

No points on a Saturday and all that, and I hope I am wrong but sooner or later Ferrari will have a mechanical issue or two of their own.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2029 on: July 21, 2018, 03:01:38 pm »
No points on a Saturday and all that, and I hope I am wrong but sooner or later Ferrari will have a mechanical issue or two of their own.

It is surprising as Mercedes have been super strong with reliability over the past couple of years. Except that season where Hamilton's car was failing against Rosberg due to mystic forces...

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2030 on: July 21, 2018, 03:13:26 pm »
Toto was shocked when he saw Vb's time...but Seb had pole in his grasp all session.

Hopefully VB can get a good jump at the start.

Vettel-Bottas-Kimi-Max

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2031 on: July 21, 2018, 03:14:52 pm »
couple of brilliant laps from bottas and vettel. vettel will win tomorrow.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2032 on: July 21, 2018, 03:17:15 pm »
couple of brilliant laps from bottas and vettel. vettel will win tomorrow.

Possibly. He will extend his lead over Lewis anyway barring a crash or failure. Gonna be interesting given the Hungaroring is after this which you would expect to favour Red Bull and Ferrari. Can anyone post the sector times please for Vettel and Bottas? Coming into this race I expected them to be similar over the first two sectors with the third possibly favouring Ferrari but just wanted to compare.

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2033 on: July 21, 2018, 03:42:18 pm »
Possibly. He will extend his lead over Lewis anyway barring a crash or failure. Gonna be interesting given the Hungaroring is after this which you would expect to favour Red Bull and Ferrari. Can anyone post the sector times please for Vettel and Bottas? Coming into this race I expected them to be similar over the first two sectors with the third possibly favouring Ferrari but just wanted to compare.

I think that it'll be too soon to find the sector times, but it wasn't the third sector that Seb made the time in because - iirc -  he was over 4/10ths up at sector two.  I'm not certain, but I believe that that it was Bottas quickest in S3, with Seb quickest in S1 and S2.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #2034 on: July 21, 2018, 03:46:17 pm »
vettel will win barring something outside of his control because he's an exceptional front runner. He'll pull away a bit and just ensure that he stays out of DRS range to coast home to a win.

see what felt like most of his RB wins for reference!

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2035 on: July 21, 2018, 03:46:34 pm »
Barring a disaster in the second half, this is Vettels title to lose. Been a season full of stupid mistakes from Mercedes, and then little bits of luck like this going the wrong way.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2036 on: July 21, 2018, 03:51:35 pm »
Barring a disaster in the second half, this is Vettels title to lose. Been a season full of stupid mistakes from Mercedes, and then little bits of luck like this going the wrong way.

Was it really just back luck though in qualifying for Lewis?  Both Toto Wolff and Rosberg said that the damage was done by Hamilton going over the kerb so hard and the replay seems to bare that out. Also, both Rosberg and Martin Brundle suggested that Lewis should have gotten off the throttle to avoid that level of impact.  Surely Lewis bares at least some of the responsibility if that's the case, no?

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2037 on: July 21, 2018, 04:16:50 pm »
Was it really just back luck though in qualifying for Lewis?  Both Toto Wolff and Rosberg said that the damage was done by Hamilton going over the kerb so hard and the replay seems to bare that out. Also, both Rosberg and Martin Brundle suggested that Lewis should have gotten off the throttle to avoid that level of impact.  Surely Lewis bares at least some of the responsibility if that's the case, no?

Oh yeah Im not saying he doesnt, just that cars go over the kerbs all the time and dont break, just unfortunate he broke it.

Edit: Mercedes just said
Lewis had a hydraulic failure at Turn 1 as he ran the normal kerb through that corner. Then, with failed power steering, as a result of the hydraulic failure, his car jumped over the run-off. The car’s ‘jumping’ moments seen on TV were a consequence of the hydraulic failure, rather than the cause of it.

So yeah, bad luck.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:28:05 pm by Beav »

Online carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: July 21, 2018, 06:17:27 pm »

This bad luck can't last for Hamilton.  He'll win most races where he has 'normal' luck.

I'm considering heading to the Singapore F1 so I hope nothing daft happens there as well!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2039 on: July 21, 2018, 06:18:33 pm »
Oh yeah Im not saying he doesnt, just that cars go over the kerbs all the time and dont break, just unfortunate he broke it.

Edit: Mercedes just said
So yeah, bad luck.

Oops :D  :duh
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.