Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473424 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #46600 on: November 13, 2017, 07:37:56 pm »
Excellent music and cinematography too. One of my favourites from last year.

And how Adams was not considered for an oscar there I'll never understand.

My guess would be the voters were split on her performances in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals. That's why you don't want two headlining performances a year if you want to win awards.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #46601 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:57 pm »
My guess would be the voters were split on her performances in Arrival and Nocturnal Animals. That's why you don't want two headlining performances a year if you want to win awards.

It's hardly her fault he's extremely good in everything she's in :) But you're right. It's hard to decide between the two but I think I would have been more inclined to her Nocturnal Animals performance.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46602 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:30 pm »

Radius

Not been a great many sci-fi movies this year.

Came across this. Not expecting too much but turned out to be a pretty decent film.

Radius 2017 HDRip XviD AC3-EVO

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #46603 on: November 14, 2017, 12:59:16 pm »
Wind River was good. Personally I enjoyed Sheridan's previous work (Hell or High Water, Sicario) more but this is another exhibition of a talented writer.

Main story (thought the lack of clues up to a point and the slow burner element of the film itself gave the feeling of it being secondary at times) was a solid one that culminated with a couple of incredibly powerful scenes and liked how it was constantly connected to a certain character as a background element. Great setting that exudes both a wild beauty but also a reminder of the conditions.

Of course, social commentary from Sheridan wasn't missing and it's greatly welcomed. It's a big part of what makes him stand out.

Reckon Renner's performance was intentionally simplistic, right? Didn't like much of Olsen's acting in this one.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:01:02 pm by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46604 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:13 pm »
Reckon Renner's performance was intentionally simplistic, right? Didn't like much of Olsen's acting in this one.

Renner has one absolutely superb scene when he's talking about his daughter in that cabin. I'd say get was going for the stoic, John Wayne type, rather than simplistic.

Agreed re: Olsen, although I feel like her character was somewhat underwritten. I can understand it from the perspective that she's the audience's surrogate in the movie, and we see the film largely through her eyes, but it did leave me wanting a bit more.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46605 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:41 pm »
Thor Ragnarok -

Thought i was getting bored of all these Marvel flicks getting churned out until i seen this tonight, great stuff.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #46606 on: November 15, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »
The Snowman is out!
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46607 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:15 pm »
Finished that Valerian thingie.. needed three sittings I believe.

By all means, it looks absolutely lovely, it really did. The folks at the visual department had properly done their job. The rest? ... gah... endless amount of; and then they met the flirfenthing, and then the blubberbob came, and then, they saw the floofentwat and so forth and so on.... By all means, for all I know, it's meant to be a 'kid story'? I don't know... in my opinion, it was poor.

However, not as poor as the "chemistry" between the leads. Fuck me. It had as much substance as a fart in a wicker chair and as much resilience as wet cardboard. Awful.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #46608 on: November 15, 2017, 10:18:36 pm »
The Snowman is the worst remake I have ever seen
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #46609 on: November 15, 2017, 10:37:16 pm »
watched Drive again last night....fook me what a film....a beautiful, ultra-violent work of art
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46610 on: November 15, 2017, 10:46:09 pm »

Remake? Based on Nesbř's book innit? Or maybe that's what you mean... ah.

Anyhoots, fun personal tidbit regarding The Snowman. Loads of scenes shot at where my family is from, Rjukan. Parents, grandparents (both sides), brother, all born there. Spend years there meself. My aunt helped out during production, said they all were top notch people.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #46611 on: November 15, 2017, 11:39:12 pm »
Another dud for Fassbender then. He really is making some bizarre choices.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #46612 on: November 16, 2017, 02:42:42 am »
Remake? Based on Nesbř's book innit? Or maybe that's what you mean... ah.

Anyhoots, fun personal tidbit regarding The Snowman. Loads of scenes shot at where my family is from, Rjukan. Parents, grandparents (both sides), brother, all born there. Spend years there meself. My aunt helped out during production, said they all were top notch people.

It's a shame mate - it looks beautiful; and I really, really wanted to like it... I wanted them to be wrong.

But it is a mess of a film and I can fully appreciate a shit film - but this is incoherent as a drunk Norweigan on matchday.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46613 on: November 16, 2017, 08:31:26 am »
Have a ticket for Suborbicon tomorrow and I'm looking quite forward to it. I think the last I've seen from the Coen Brothers was the Bridge of Spies but that wasn't their usual selves.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46614 on: November 16, 2017, 09:54:16 am »
Watched Godfather & Godfather 2 this week. Been ages since i seen them. Excellent.

Have got Raging Bull to watch as well.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46615 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:01 am »
Have a ticket for Suborbicon tomorrow and I'm looking quite forward to it. I think the last I've seen from the Coen Brothers was the Bridge of Spies but that wasn't their usual selves.
Bridge of Spies was a Spielberg film.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #46616 on: November 16, 2017, 10:52:33 am »
Don't bother watching The Snowman. Utter shite. Mundane the way how the film was evolved and terrible, terrible ( lack of ) use of talented actors.  Went the day after watching Blade Runner 2. Christ.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46617 on: November 16, 2017, 11:07:04 am »
Watched Godfather & Godfather 2 this week. Been ages since i seen them. Excellent.

Have got Raging Bull to watch as well.

Amazing the decade Francis Ford Coppola had in the 70s, and how little of note he produced afterwards.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46618 on: November 16, 2017, 12:07:26 pm »
Bridge of Spies was a Spielberg film.

Yeah, but written by the Coen Brothers. The same with this one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:17:58 pm by Prelude no.5 »

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #46619 on: November 16, 2017, 12:13:39 pm »
Yeah, but written by the Coen Brothers. The same with this one, it's Clooney directorial debut.

Clooney has already directed a few films.

Coens seem to pass off their less good material for others to direct.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:16:18 pm by BER »

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46620 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:13 pm »

Right, forgot Ides of March was his. I think that's the only one I've seen.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:25:04 pm by Prelude no.5 »

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #46621 on: November 16, 2017, 08:13:37 pm »
Had the day off work sick which obviously means films day! Saw that American Sniper was on Netflix so put it on.

I switched it off after about 10 mins - did I do the right thing? Couldn't stand Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino and hated the main characters straight away in this nonsensical, Trump-ite flick.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:38:45 pm by iamnant »
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46622 on: November 16, 2017, 08:27:23 pm »

I switched it off after about 10 mins - did I do the right thing?
Probably. In the context of it being viewed as a film, then you could say that it's a fairly well made, competent, sometimes compelling and enjoyable in parts. That's if you still ignore the obvious patriotic, flag waving trumpeting that Eastwood is doing, which can be nauseating on its own. It's only when you couple that with actual facts, in that the person it's based off, is actually a sociopathic, racist, bigoted fuckstick that actually took pleasure in shooting men, women and children. It's the glossing over of such things to paint him as some kind of American hero that rubs me the wrong way. Big budget propaganda film making at it's most sickening.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #46623 on: November 16, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »
Had the day off work sick which obviously means films day! Saw that [b[American Sniper[/b] was on Netflix so put it on.

I switched it off after about 10 mins - did I do the right thing? Couldn't stand Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino and hated the main characters straight away in this nonsensical, Trump-ite flick.

Haven't seen it since it originally came out but I wasn't that impressed with it for one reason or another. Scored it 6/10 on imdb.

Offline Ycuzz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46624 on: November 16, 2017, 09:24:13 pm »
It's a shame mate - it looks beautiful; and I really, really wanted to like it... I wanted them to be wrong.

But it is a mess of a film and I can fully appreciate a shit film - but this is incoherent as a drunk Norweigan on matchday.

Oh, no worries mate. Haven't seen it myself - yet, but I'm fully anticipating nonsense. Will mostly be watched to reminisce about the places in the film ;D

@Yvanicuzz

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #46625 on: November 16, 2017, 09:40:49 pm »
Probably. In the context of it being viewed as a film, then you could say that it's a fairly well made, competent, sometimes compelling and enjoyable in parts. That's if you still ignore the obvious patriotic, flag waving trumpeting that Eastwood is doing, which can be nauseating on its own. It's only when you couple that with actual facts, in that the person it's based off, is actually a sociopathic, racist, bigoted fuckstick that actually took pleasure in shooting men, women and children. It's the glossing over of such things to paint him as some kind of American hero that rubs me the wrong way. Big budget propaganda film making at it's most sickening.
Thank you! I had a hunch that's how it would be, so glad I wasn't wrong.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46626 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:47 pm »

Suburbicon is maybe their worst material - I haven't seen The Hudsucker Proxy and The Ladykillers isn't theirs.

Or rather, it seems to be some sort of proto form of Coen script. They wrote it shortly after Blood Simple, and it clearly has a lot of their ideas they explore in later films, but it's only 3/5 of the way to being a finished product.

Clooney is a very competent director who's made a few quality films over the years, but this one was clumsily handled. It's not a good film. It's probably not a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes bad film, but it's not good.

It feels like Clooney is incredibly angry about what's going on in America right now, but has entirely failed to harness that anger into something productive. His mind appears to be distracted and diffused between dark comedy, absurdist Fargo-esque good crime gone bad caper and morality play about prejudice in America. You can see the effect he's trying to achieve, but he fails to pull the disparate elements together and ends up with a wildly uneven film with different bits - good and bad, that don't stick together. There's a racism "B" story here that seems to have very little to do with the "A" story. There are good, comic performances from great actors. There's a finely cultivated, nagging sense of unease that pervades, but it's overtaken by a much stronger sense that it's the emotional soundtrack to some well intentioned nonsense that palely imitates what better films have done before.

Still, it's not a total waste of time. It's been about 10 weeks since I saw it and there are some scenes that are still fresh in my mind - the comic scenes mostly. It's still a Coen brothers movie after all. I'd give it 2.5 stars out of 5, maybe 3 if I'm feeling extremely generous.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46627 on: November 16, 2017, 09:55:51 pm »
Hudsucker Proxy is boss.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46628 on: November 18, 2017, 07:40:03 am »

I agree with that sentiment. I tend to not watch trailers or read reviews before I go to watch a movie. It has its disadvantages, like for example, it would have saved me 2hrs of my life which I'll never get back.

Suborbicon is incredibly bland and dull with nothing slightly positive about it.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #46629 on: November 18, 2017, 09:31:19 am »
Hudsucker Proxy is boss.

Anything with John Goodman in is usually awesome

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46630 on: November 18, 2017, 09:43:27 am »
Anything with John Goodman in is usually awesome

Even King Ralph?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #46631 on: November 18, 2017, 10:04:26 am »
Even King Ralph?

Shh you :D

Usually, I said usually

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #46632 on: November 18, 2017, 12:37:18 pm »
Hudsucker Proxy is boss.

Very true - an underrated little gem.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #46633 on: November 18, 2017, 06:58:35 pm »
It comes at night was really good I thought. Great watch.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46634 on: November 18, 2017, 09:00:41 pm »
Saw Murder on the Orient Express and Thor last week. Found Orient Express to be a boring mess. Thor was better, but I just don't think I'll love superhero movies. Everything was good about it but I still walk out feeling underwhelmed. I hope Waititi does another smaller project before a big one.

A few that are out which I'm keen on seeing:

Detroit
Brigsby Bear
Killing of a Sacred Deer

Looking forward to a few films coming out in the next few months:

Lady Bird
The Florida Project
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

I feel like the year has lacked movies with the hype of La La Land or Moonlight - but as we get closer to Oscar time there's a few popping up now. Notably Lady Bird and The Florida Project.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46635 on: November 18, 2017, 11:55:10 pm »
Saw Murder on the Orient Express and Thor last week. Found Orient Express to be a boring mess. Thor was better, but I just don't think I'll love superhero movies. Everything was good about it but I still walk out feeling underwhelmed. I hope Waititi does another smaller project before a big one.

A few that are out which I'm keen on seeing:

Detroit
Brigsby Bear
Killing of a Sacred Deer

Looking forward to a few films coming out in the next few months:

Lady Bird
The Florida Project
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

I feel like the year has lacked movies with the hype of La La Land or Moonlight - but as we get closer to Oscar time there's a few popping up now. Notably Lady Bird and The Florida Project.

Well, Moonlight and La La Land didn't start getting hype until around this time of the year either. That's just how the Oscars goes, I guess.

In addition to the ones on your list (I've only seen Three Billboards), I'd add:

Call Me By Your Name
The Shape of Water
Mudbound
Wonderstruck
Downsizing
Good Time
Marjorie Prime
Personal Shopper

I also wouldn't recommend The Killing of a Sacred Deer. It's pretty disappointing fare.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #46636 on: November 19, 2017, 10:00:52 am »
Seeing the negative reviews for Murder on the Orient Express and some past occasions, should we follow the rule of thumb of not bothering anymore with films that contain a shitload of movie stars?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46637 on: November 19, 2017, 12:47:43 pm »
Had the misfortune of watching Flightplan on tv tonight. It was a steaming pile of shit. Jodie Foster in the lead role was one of the least likeable, pretentious, obnoxious and racist lead characters I've had the misfortune of watching in a film. On a scale of 0-10, I would rate this one as a crime against humanity.

I can't be arsed to change my Tapatalk settings because my time is more important than yours

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #46638 on: November 19, 2017, 05:24:30 pm »
Seeing the negative reviews for Murder on the Orient Express and some past occasions, should we follow the rule of thumb of not bothering anymore with films that contain a shitload of movie stars?

The Orient was doomed to fail from the beginning - if that cast had have a better script, it could have done well. Agatha Christie is a bit like Shakespeare; done well, it can rock, but done shit, it looks like shit re-heated, re-ate and re-shit.

Kenneth Brannaghanan literally stands in shit in one scene, and then deliberately stands in shit again - I don't know if that was in the source material or not, but with scenes like that, who needs a good mysterious script?

Haven't seen a good whodunnit for ages - they aren't en vogue and I can't think of a good one north of Gosford Park.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46639 on: November 19, 2017, 07:59:23 pm »
Kenneth Brannaghanan literally stands in shit in one scene, and then deliberately stands in shit again - I don't know if that was in the source material or not, but with scenes like that, who needs a good mysterious script?

That wasn't in the book. A stupid attempt at humour.