Author Topic: Why we should keep Lucas?  (Read 266822 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Why we should keep Lucas?
« Reply #2000 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:11 am »
Honestly? I don't read or watch the media. Perhaps this is your issue - Perhaps you're looking at these media reports and trying hard to take the counter view, instead of accepting that sometimes the media cliches are right? And that the media do usually hype up the players who actually are the best players. Perhaps you are trying to hard to find a unique viewpoint, in order to propagate your own image on this forum, rather than just looking with your own eyes and making realistic judgements?

To answer your question: Any of my posts, as they were all based on my own (medialess) judgement.

After this past summer, I am confident that, if I back my own judgement, and always begin with the assumption that the media is wrong, I am far more likely to be right than not. Far, far more likely.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #2001 on: January 19, 2011, 02:29:15 am »
Problem with Lucas is, that is his good stuff - sideways pass to the nearest team-mate. A job literally anyone could do.

Bet you don't play football. But I digress.

The flood continues.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nZP4yeJXpsE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nZP4yeJXpsE</a>

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:31:04 am by El Campeador »

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: January 19, 2011, 02:29:39 am »
Honestly? I don't read or watch the media. Perhaps this is your issue - Perhaps you're looking at these media reports and trying hard to take the counter view, instead of accepting that sometimes the media cliches are right? And that the media do usually hype up the players who actually are the best players. Perhaps you are trying to hard to find a unique viewpoint, in order to propagate your own image on this forum, rather than just looking with your own eyes and making realistic judgements?

To answer your question: Any of my posts, as they were all based on my own (medialess) judgement.

Honestly, you should just ignore the media if their cliches are 'getting' to you.

He asked you to find examples of you using actual examples and not use cliches. You've failed to do this.

But yeah, the media pointed out Xabi's great game against United at OT in 2009. It's too bad he didn't play. I love the media saying that Aquilani was a flop. They leave out the bit that he had the 2nd most assists from January onwards in the PL.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2003 on: January 19, 2011, 02:29:44 am »
It shows him making quick decisions and reading the play well resulting in easy tackles or interceptions. Watch how quickly he's under pressure by the Americans who are playing to force mistakes, and Lucas is just playing one touch footy right to the foot. You may think that's useless, but Brazil relies on holding possession, and the central midfielders winning the ball back and playing it to an attacking outlet. He's doing his job perfectly.

Which Brazil? The new one who have only played together for 4 friendlies so far, or the one before that, which Lucas wasn't a part of?

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2004 on: January 19, 2011, 02:30:39 am »
Bet you don't play football.

He's to busy using his excellent evaluating skills to bother.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2005 on: January 19, 2011, 02:30:51 am »
After this past summer, I am confident that, if I back my own judgement, and always begin with the assumption that the media is wrong, I am far more likely to be right than not. Far, far more likely.

You must think Messi and Ronaldo are terrible! The media generally hype them up as the best players in the world.

That one must cause some difficulty for you, eh? How do you rationalise it?

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2006 on: January 19, 2011, 02:32:49 am »
Bet you don't play football.

You bet wrong. I play right wing.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2007 on: January 19, 2011, 02:33:10 am »
You must think Messi and Ronaldo are terrible! The media generally hype them up as the best players in the world.

I don't. I don't particularly care about them, one way or another. I don't talk about them at all. What I do talk about are Liverpool players.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2008 on: January 19, 2011, 02:34:34 am »
Which Brazil? The new one who have only played together for 4 friendlies so far, or the one before that, which Lucas wasn't a part of?

The Brazil that's located in South America. The one that have played near the same football for years. Possession is key for any Brazil side. Some are all out attack, some rely on more balance. But, since you probably didn't know, Brazilians are better with the ball at their feet than chasing it.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2009 on: January 19, 2011, 02:36:13 am »
He asked you to find examples of you using actual examples and not use cliches. You've failed to do this.

Nope. I told him to read any of my posts. If he chooses not to, that's his problem, though I know he already has read my posts and made his own (narrow) mind up.

Having an opinion is one thing. Making bizarre, specious assumptions about other people's opinions is pretty silly. But that's up to him (and you). If you wish to go on believing that my opinions come from 'media cliches', by all means do. I'm likely to laugh at you. ;D

bam09, half of your posts are inane drivel which make very little sense. At least come up with an opinion or state something which relates to the discussion in some way, please. I haven't written you off yet - don't do a Lucas on me. Show some drive and individuality!

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2010 on: January 19, 2011, 02:37:43 am »
I don't. I don't particularly care about them, one way or another. I don't talk about them at all. What I do talk about are Liverpool players.

Torres and Gerrard?

The media really rate them.

How do you figure that one out? :o Is it all a conspiracy in order to distract people's attention from the world beater that is Lucas?

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2011 on: January 19, 2011, 02:39:47 am »

Those are different cases. Anybody can pick out those 2 as the best footballers in the world. He's talking about actually spotting a good footballer that isn't flashy.

There's a clip on YT of Sky wanking over Messi while covering El Classico. The two English ones were just talking about how he dominated the match. Then they switch over to an ex-Barcelona player and asked him about what he thought of Messi's dominance. The man that's dominating the match is number 6, Xavi. And for the rest of the match, they were just having a wank fest over Xavi. Xavi's passes were almost all along the floor, and nothing really that long so naturally Sky couldn't identify his impact on the match, before it was pointed out to them.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2012 on: January 19, 2011, 02:40:32 am »
But yeah, the media pointed out Xabi's great game against United at OT in 2009. It's too bad he didn't play. I love the media saying that Aquilani was a flop. They leave out the bit that he had the 2nd most assists from January onwards in the PL.

Only half-sensible thing you've written. I agree with you - Aquilani wasn't a flop.

But just because the media got that one wrong, it's totally ridiculous to assume that every single 'media opinion' must be wrong.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2013 on: January 19, 2011, 02:42:22 am »
Torres and Gerrard?

How do you figure that one out? :o Is it all a conspiracy in order to distract people's attention from the world beater that is Lucas?

Is that all you see players as? Either rating them or not? That's exactly the kind of thinking that I've gone on about.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2014 on: January 19, 2011, 02:42:23 am »
Torres and Gerrard?

Is this the media that claimed Gerrard absolutely had to be a CM and had no business on the right(where he won trophies) or behind Torres(where he set personal bests for goals and assists). How's that worked out?

Or maybe it's the media that said Torres needs another striker beside him to accomplish something, when he's not had the success at Atletico, or Spain when partnered. And at Spain he had Llorente and Villa, so there should be no complaints about who suits him. The whole time he had chemistry with Gerrard though, tucked behind him, and they couldn't see this.

So is media really right as much as you think?

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2015 on: January 19, 2011, 02:45:13 am »
Is that all you see players as? Either rating them or not? That's exactly the kind of thinking that I've gone on about.

You said that you assume the media are always wrong. I'm asking if you think Torres and Gerrard aren't great players (simply because the media says they are).

Just trying to figure you out.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2016 on: January 19, 2011, 02:46:02 am »
If you want the blunt truth? The videos of Lucas vs USA show him making a load of simple passes either sideways or backwards.

If you made a video of Xavi doing such passes, people would watch it and scratch their heads, thinking "What the heck? Why have I just watched a compilation of Xavi's most simple passes? Why haven't I seen the good stuff he does."

Let's all laugh at Laergoth.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4sjmEfM1c88?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4sjmEfM1c88?fs=1</a>

Mr "I play right wing"  :wave
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:48:06 am by El Campeador »

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2017 on: January 19, 2011, 02:47:11 am »
Is this the media that claimed Gerrard absolutely had to be a CM and had no business on the right(where he won trophies) or behind Torres(where he set personal bests for goals and assists). How's that worked out?

Or maybe it's the media that said Torres needs another striker beside him to accomplish something, when he's not had the success at Atletico, or Spain when partnered. And at Spain he had Llorente and Villa, so there should be no complaints about who suits him. The whole time he had chemistry with Gerrard though, tucked behind him, and they couldn't see this.

So is media really right as much as you think?

As said, I barely follow the media, so I have no clue whether they're right or wrong on most things. But looking at the media, and automatically taking the opposite viewpoint to them, is just as glib as blindly following the media.

You need to figure things out for yourselves. Honestly, don't worry about the media. Sometimes their opinions are right, sometimes their opinions are wrong.

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2018 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:03 am »
Only half-sensible thing you've written. I agree with you - Aquilani wasn't a flop.

But just because the media got that one wrong, it's totally ridiculous to assume that every single 'media opinion' must be wrong.

What have they been right about? Was it that we need to play a 442? No. Failed miserably. Was it that we need to paly man to man instead of zonal? No. We've already conceded 31. From January onwards last year we conceded 10. We conceded 35 on the whole year. And 27 the year before. Was it that we need more English players, instead of foreigners? No. Cole and Konchesky did nothing when given a chance(minus Cole helping in a shot on the line).

So what have the media been right about when concerning LFC?

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2019 on: January 19, 2011, 02:53:42 am »
The clip posted of Xavi is totally different to the clips posted of Lucas. We see Xavi skilling it past players, making delightful chips over Arsenal into the attackers, using a variety of different passing techniques, and fundamentally, creating much attacking play. The Lucas clips against USA, in contrast, show him staying in his own half and passing the ball sideways or backwards, never penetrating the opposite team. The one attacking pass he does try fails utterly and rolls to the USA keeper.

Honestly, at least watch the clips you post! Unless you're another of these cryptic 'Lucas parody' posters.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2020 on: January 19, 2011, 02:55:04 am »
What have they been right about? Was it that we need to play a 442? No. Failed miserably. Was it that we need to paly man to man instead of zonal? No. We've already conceded 31. From January onwards last year we conceded 10. We conceded 35 on the whole year. And 27 the year before. Was it that we need more English players, instead of foreigners? No. Cole and Konchesky did nothing when given a chance(minus Cole helping in a shot on the line).

So what have the media been right about when concerning LFC?

You already know that I've barely read/watched any media, so why are you asking that? Being able to answer that would depend on me knowing all these media opinions on LFC, which I don't.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2021 on: January 19, 2011, 02:59:14 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uWkAvC2zIQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1uWkAvC2zIQ</a>

Shupport the player, not the muppet punditry. If you don't, you risk failing Professor Yorky's Law.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2022 on: January 19, 2011, 02:59:44 am »
Must admit though, I am curious about this schizophrenic attitude some of you appear to have towards the media. I'd like to learn more about this condition.

What if there were some intelligent people in the media who managed to get an opinion right? What if there were people in the media who watch the game like you and come to the same opinions? Would you read them and agree with them, or would you dismiss them and force yourself to come to an opposite viewpoint, simply because this is a 'media opinion'?

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2023 on: January 19, 2011, 02:59:45 am »
As said, I barely follow the media, so I have no clue whether they're right or wrong on most things. But looking at the media, and automatically taking the opposite viewpoint to them, is just as glib as blindly following the media.

You need to figure things out for yourselves. Honestly, don't worry about the media. Sometimes their opinions are right, sometimes their opinions are wrong.

It's not automatically taking the opposite stance. If you quizzed Redknapp or Gray on why they don't rate Lucas, they'd just say "he only passes backwards and sideways." If you put a chalkboard to their face and said, this proves you're wrong then they'd say he doesn't tackle well enough. If you put the tackling stats up, and how on some matches he's put in/won about as many tackles as all of our defenders(go play with the chalkboards for a bit, read the stats).

They just use constant cliches to describe some players. It isn't really saying he's not good at this and then illustrating it.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2024 on: January 19, 2011, 03:03:46 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uWkAvC2zIQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1uWkAvC2zIQ</a>

Shupport the player, not the muppet punditry. If you don't, you risk failing Professor Yorky's Law.

One of the problems created by the 'Lucas Intelligentsia' is that I'm now reluctant to say 'Great strike'.

I really want to just say, 'Well played Lucas. That was a very good goal', but I know that someone is going to say: "You only think that because the commentators said it! They called it Gerrardesque and you agree with them! You only want to see spectacular goals from Lucas and as such you dismiss all his simple passing."

Pretty sad situation, really. :D

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2025 on: January 19, 2011, 03:06:15 am »
It's not automatically taking the opposite stance. If you quizzed Redknapp or Gray on why they don't rate Lucas, they'd just say "he only passes backwards and sideways." If you put a chalkboard to their face and said, this proves you're wrong then they'd say he doesn't tackle well enough. If you put the tackling stats up, and how on some matches he's put in/won about as many tackles as all of our defenders(go play with the chalkboards for a bit, read the stats).

They just use constant cliches to describe some players. It isn't really saying he's not good at this and then illustrating it.

Have you considered the fact that a lot of different people see Lucas and come out saying, "He only passes backwards and sideways". Have you considered that perhaps they came to this conclusion based on watching the game? Or do you believe that you are the only one capable of watching a game and forming independent opinions?

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2026 on: January 19, 2011, 03:10:07 am »
Must admit though, I am curious about this schizophrenic attitude some of you appear to have towards the media. I'd like to learn more about this condition.

What if there were some intelligent people in the media who managed to get an opinion right? What if there were people in the media who watch the game like you and come to the same opinions? Would you read them and agree with them, or would you dismiss them and force yourself to come to an opposite viewpoint, simply because this is a 'media opinion'?

They're wrong more than they are right most of the time when writing opinion pieces. Paddy Barclay and Henry Winter, two of the most wellknown journalists and both of which hold high journalistic jobs wrote about how well Roy would do with Liverpool. Neither were right, even though they maintained throughout Roy's tenure that he would turn it around. Just to show another example of two of the most connected journalists showcasing their footballing acumen.

Just read some of the articles they write. Check for examples to really prove their point, compared with the vagueness they use to illustrate something. It's all vague examples.

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2027 on: January 19, 2011, 03:13:05 am »
One of the problems created by the 'Lucas Intelligentsia' is that I'm now reluctant to say 'Great strike'.

I really want to just say, 'Well played Lucas. That was a very good goal', but I know that someone is going to say: "You only think that because the commentators said it! They called it Gerrardesque and you agree with them! You only want to see spectacular goals from Lucas and as such you dismiss all his simple passing."

Pretty sad situation, really. :D

No. It's fair to say it's Gerrard-esque. It was a great strike.

It would be unfair to say, Lucas has never hit a good shot in his life and got lucky with that one.

You're not understanding us. Lucas is rated by us because he's efficient in everything that he does, zero things about him are flashy. If he can chip in with some goals like that then that's great.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2028 on: January 19, 2011, 03:14:41 am »
The clip posted of Xavi is totally different to the clips posted of Lucas.

Awwwwww, a 23 year old Lucas doesn't measure up to a 30 year old Xavi. Shit I might as well pack it up.

Na, na, let the flood continue:
I'm a be like Leiva and see what's next on the menu,
Tough tackler, simple ball passer, the fucking Manc killer,
Rocks from here to Mecca, BOOM shakalaka!
He got a hit that'll rock your cradle,
Cream you like cheese, spread you on his bagel.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IGAusKj8FPI?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IGAusKj8FPI?fs=1</a>

"It was a day with a lot of windy."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:17:53 am by El Campeador »

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #2029 on: January 19, 2011, 03:19:24 am »
Two things regarding the Xavi video:

1. Xavi is a MORE accomplished midfielder than Lucas (at this stage of Lucas's young career). Of course, he's going to be Lucas PLUS.

2. Consider the movement and availability of team-mates. Granted #1 above (and yes, there IS a difference, less of it this season, in terms of actually moving forward and around players with the ball), it is still the case that the majority of his longer, more incisive passes are not "magic tricks" by Xavi alone, but a combination of excellent, incisive movement by his team-mates and proper passing (timing and execution) by Xavi. When playing for Brazil, Lucas does execute longer, more spectacular passes.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:35:28 am by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2030 on: January 19, 2011, 03:21:33 am »
Have you considered the fact that a lot of different people see Lucas and come out saying, "He only passes backwards and sideways". Have you considered that perhaps they came to this conclusion based on watching the game? Or do you believe that you are the only one capable of watching a game and forming independent opinions?

Yes we are. We are the best fans in the world in large part because we appreciate Pass and Move.

Everyone else is a fucking muppet. Shape up and shupport your team, or ship out, son.

Offline Laergoth

• Main Stander
« Reply #2031 on: January 19, 2011, 03:23:19 am »
Yes we are. We are the best fans in the world in large part because we appreciate Pass and Move.

Everyone else is a fucking muppet. Shape up and shupport your team, or ship out, son.

By your token, if Dalglish dropped Lucas... That would mean he is not a Liverpool fan? :o

Offline saintslfc13

• Kopite
« Reply #2032 on: January 19, 2011, 03:24:27 am »
Two things regarding the Xavi video:

1. Xavi is a MORE accomplished midfielder than Lucas (at this stage of Lucas's young career). Of course, he's going to be Lucas PLUS.

2. Consider the movement and availability of team-mates. Granted #1 above (and yes, there IS a difference, less of it this season, in terms of actually moving forward and around players with the ball), it is still the case that the majority of his longer, more incisive passes are not "magic tricks" by Xavi alone, but a combination of excellent, incisive movement by his team-mates and proper passing (timing and execution) by Lucas. When playing for Brazil, Lucas does execute longer, more spectacular passes.

Clearly you didn't get the memo that Lucas has never played for Brazil because he was left out of the world cup squad. Friendlies don't count I'm afraid.

Touching on that though, does anyone think if Dunga could go back and swap Lucas for Melo he wouldn't? Lucas was exactly the type of player they needed in that game against the Dutch. Someone who does his role exceptionally well and never loses his head. If you watched that game then you know Brazil were the better side for the first half and the opening of the second but once Holland scored, they lost their heads collectively and Melo got himself sent off which made their task that much harder.

I'm also sure I've read somewhere that Dunga was quoted as saying Lucas is one of the players that are the future of the Brazil national team, I can't find a link but I'm almost positive it was in one of the previous Lucas threads.

@ Laergoth, If Kenny dropped Lucas he'd have a reason for it, but I don't see that happening because He's been our best CM by far this season. I see Gerrard being inserted into CM either at the top of a triangle or at one of the sides of an inverted one, provided Kenny keeps the formation we've seen recently when he returns.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 03:26:59 am by saintslfc13 »

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2033 on: January 19, 2011, 03:26:59 am »

The "he only passes backwards and sideways" things is just completely wrong. Go look at Lucas' chalkboards. Most passes are forwards. If you compare his chalkboards in fact, you'll see he misses more passes this year because he's taking more chances playing a killer ball which has been a yard or 2 off.

The real reason why he's rated by many is his composure, both on the ball and in big matches(bigger the game, the better he plays), his footballing IQ/ability to read the game. Watch Lucas closely. See how he often limits the oppositions passing both by taking away the availability of one along with just intercepting it. Always in the right spot. Watch how when he's on the ball he'll see somebody open, and rather than try and thread the needle from where he is, he creates a great angle for the player to receive the pass and go into space. Or, watch when he's being pressured, rarely does he give away the ball. He's one step ahead of the defenders every time. He has his next pass picked out before he even gets it. Now sometimes this is backwards or sideways, but when he does that it's the right pass.

Lucas is a model of efficiency with and without the ball. To add, he has great leadership abilities(was captain of the u-21 Brazil WC team) is passionate about the club(always talking about how great the supporters are, talks about how great the club is, and how he wants to stay here) as well as showing fight when we were getting drilled with Roy as manager(putting his studs into players near the end, and not backing down from anyone at the end of the match when half the team had mailed it in) and is a great teammate on top of it(look at the look on Gerrard's face when he scores that goal, he's made up for him, look at some interviews he and Kuyt have done, and just read about what his teammates say of him).

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2034 on: January 19, 2011, 03:27:56 am »

That's your problem. He's young, he cost six million, and was Brazilian Player of the Year when we signed him - and Lucas is *still* younger than Xabi Alonso when we bought Xabi in 2004.

If you want to bet against his positioning, football brain, tackling, passing, work ethic and motherfucking toughness, that's your call.

But you'd look like a right fucking idiot, no offense, when the kid wins the World Cup on Brazilian home soil, and you helped chase him out of Anfield by doubting instead of shupporting.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2035 on: January 19, 2011, 03:28:59 am »
By your token, if Dalglish dropped Lucas... That would mean he is not a Liverpool fan? :o

Would you like to put your money where your mouth is?

Offline bam09

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2036 on: January 19, 2011, 03:30:57 am »

Well Hodgson couldn't/didn't after he and/or Cecil tried to force him out in the summer and didn't give him a spot in the first team originally. So what does that tell you about how much he means to us? And Hodgson was largely clueless at that, but even he could recognize what Lucas did.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2037 on: January 19, 2011, 03:42:25 am »
That shut him up.

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
« Reply #2038 on: January 19, 2011, 04:40:41 am »
Thanks for bringing on the video from the 4:1 against the Mancs

How Gerrard kissed the camera, Aurelio's goal, Lucas happyness with Gerrard's goal.. Even in his marriage pictures he was not so happy ::) Very emotional game

I wrote the post when i applied all the things that Lucas did to Alonso who was not even playing in that game..and same in the game against Inter in San Siro when he provoked the red card of Cordova,  I atached it to Alonso..
I hope he really does not read this forums and some media comments,  and I am waiting to see a friendly between the English team of Capello and Mano Menezes Brazil. 
Last time I saw Brazil against England it was in 2002 when Ronaldinho was set off.

Speaking about Felipe Melo here is really weird, after the elimination of Brazil he was receiving mails with death threads..
  Until today he he hated by some Brazilians even more than Lucas is hated here by some.   I did not like it personally, because I believe that a team plays and a team is losing or winning, and not a mistake of one person.  Julio Cesar and Lucio who were the best players all along failed in that damn game.  Elano was inured by some brutal player of Drogba's team. and he as one of the best players, underrated by the English..I will better stop writing this , it is not what has to be written in an English forum.
 Better returning to Lucas, one point: When he was called by Dunga october 2006 first time to the absolute NT, he was the youngest called ever in so young age.  The TV comentator said something that I did not understand at the time, but today some of you wrote almost the same
Meaning: the reporter said: ( among other things) : Another thing that is special to Lucas is his efficiency. He never makes "Jogadinhas" (What you call flashy or hollywood play) He prefers the simple action, which is best for the team game. I am sure he wil be a great succes in the NT, football for it he  already has.  3 months after that , he lead the young NT to the great tournament win in Paraguay. A month before that tournament he got the balon de Oro.  Dunga  called him to the Olympics saying that Lucas was a versaile player and will do whatever is asked of him (He played him almost as libero some times) 
He did not called him to the world cup, he prefered the more eperienced players, he did not call him , nor Sandro, nor Neimar and Ganso, they were supposed to wait the 2014 tournament

After the fiasko in South Afriica many posters in forums wrote that Dunga shoud take Lucas and Sandro and not Gilberto Silva and Felipe Melo.  But everybody is very clever after the battle.   
Lucas was not a bright star that appears in the sky all of a sudden, he was learning the trade from early age.  IMHO and in his opinion also, he should have stayed longer in Gremio.  But as he said " I could not say NO to a club like Liverpool"  He  was fan of Gerrard since childhood. He had also offers from Aletico Madrid and some italian clubs but he chose Liverpool.  The hardest challenge.  In the first year I thought maybe he took the wrong decision, even more so after his sruggle in the first 18 months. 
I was wrong, as a fan I should have beleive in him and support his decisions.  (It is written in the "fans manifest" once published in Gremio describing the code of behaviour of fans to their idol) 

I like to read some of the posts here, that reassure what I thoght of him from the beginning,  and did not even dared to express, with the exception of some good friends of mine among the Gremio fans. 
Now, what have we to say more?  Time will say what will happen to him
. Will Kenny approve of him? As he did not got the contract , it is a sign that the management are not sure yet.  If he does not extend his contract until the end of this season, he will be sold in the summer.  I know that he wants to stay, but only if he will be played.  The NT is very important to him and if he do not play he will leave.  I personally beleive that every change of country ect. is an obstacle because a player has to learn all from the beginning, a languague , style of play and so on. 

But I am speaking too much
Only time will tell
I hope he will continue his way in Liverpool, with the grace of the lord, and his son will be a Liverpoodian

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:44:46 am by mulhergremista »

Offline Salty Dog

• Sworn enemy of Sugary Cat.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.
« Reply #2039 on: January 19, 2011, 04:43:12 am »
That shut him up.

Something tells me he'll be back for more tomorrow.

Touching on the point about the better off the ball movement in the Brazilian national team, have a look at the goal scored against USA in this video (especially the part from 3:13-3:28 where Lucas moves, receives, and then passes the ball 3 times).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7hXPN-M5iPo?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7hXPN-M5iPo?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

I'm pretty sure most Lucas doubters would discount the passes that Lucas plays in the build up to this goal.  They are simple passes, but what they fail to realize is these are exactly the kind of passes Shankly refers to in the quote that Sangria keeps bringing up about exchanging simple passes and moving, which changes the shape of the defense, until one of the players whose job it is to sneak in, lo and behold, does just that, and they get a player running in behind the defense and putting in a cross which results in a goal.

What the Lucas doubters can't seem to grasp, for me, is that Lucas also has the ability to play the final ball too.  It's just that he currently plays in a position, both for us and (so far) the Brazilian national team under Mano Menezes, where his primary job is to maintain possession and give his team the platform to advance up the pitch.  He does this job very well, but in his career he has also shown that he has an eye for a defence splitting pass (see his assist to Gerrard vs Newcastle at St. James' from 2008-2009 season).  He just doesn't try them very often, because his job generally doesn't see him get into positions where that defence splitting ball is the right pass.

This is what Sangria keeps referencing when he talks about Collective vs Individual.  Lucas gave Brazil the platform to go score that goal vs USA because of his simple "sideways" passing.  And if you can not see how playing those simple balls allows his team to move up the field and change the pattern of the defense, allowing his teammate to sneak in and provide the final ball, then you really are incapable of seeing how doing a simple job can be the best thing for your team, collectively.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:35:19 am by Salty Dog »
It's like all punishments though, isn't it. You just have to close your eyes, grit your teeth and think of England. - Yorkykopite