Poll

I go to the match and it's interesting how few friends I have that support England.. .If you are an LFC fan - do you support England?

YES! (And I'm English/British)
63 (23.2%)
NO! (And I'm English/British)
139 (51.1%)
I'm not English or British - here you are..
70 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 272

Author Topic: Liverpool fans that support England in Internationals..  (Read 25003 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool fans that support England in Internationals..
« Reply #160 on: May 20, 2018, 10:36:38 am »
This will be an incoherent rambling about supporting England, so bear with me!

Thanks for taking the time to post that mate.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:45 pm »
It depends,sometimes I do sometimes I don't. It always makes me laugh though when people want to use the whole imperial racist angle to beat England with, and then in turn support the likes of Portugal and Spain or France, who have a similar history?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35:44 pm »
It depends.

If I’m in a room full of English people supporting England I generally want them to lose. On the other hand if I’m in a room full of English people who detest England I almost certainly want them to win.

It also depends a bit on how they play. I can start off a game hoping England win. But after a few minutes of watching how turgid they are in midfield I actually start hoping they’ll be punished. That’s the opposite of ‘support’ I guess.

Then there’s the Liverpool factor. I may start off a tournament hoping England will do well, especially if they have Liverpool players on the pitch. But as soon as a Liverpool player is subbed off I can feel my interest cool. Though there must be a little bit of patriotism here I suppose because I’m completely indifferent to the fate of foreign nations even if they have Reds playing for them. It wouldn’t concern me a bit, for example, if Egypt got knocked out early. I could never do what the Scots do and get all bound up in another nation’s team just because their own is shite.

Other points. It would help if the national anthem was changed to something a self-respecting person could sing. The royal one we have to sing makes me vomit. There again England’s a great place and it’s far bigger than just the monarchy and the Tory party etc. It’s a sign of how mature and democratic the country is that so many people share these misgivings about wanting the English footy team to do well. For that reason alone I sort of want them to do well.

That’s nailed it Yorky, it’s how I usually feel watching them too.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #163 on: May 20, 2018, 03:16:59 pm »
Best keep off this subject either come across as secluded hateful people when we are supposed to actually be welcoming or some just lying like a kid would in school so as not to be different

I think the worst comment I've read was 'England is for Tories' I mean fucking hell

I'll be supporting England. I've never heard a reason that made sense not to

Football isnt politics, it actually makes us all forget we hate each other for a month every two years and I love that. It's really dissapointing to me that others don't feel
That way

Maybe I'm a hippy.

I'm certainly not a fucking Tory
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #164 on: May 20, 2018, 04:43:15 pm »
Best keep off this subject either come across as secluded hateful people when we are supposed to actually be welcoming or some just lying like a kid would in school so as not to be different

I think the worst comment I've read was 'England is for Tories' I mean fucking hell

Football isnt politics, it actually makes us all forget we hate each other for a month every two years and I love that. It's really dissapointing to me that others don't feel
That way

Maybe I'm a hippy.

I'm Welsh so there's a reason  :P
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 20, 2018, 05:18:37 pm »

That way

Maybe I'm a hippy.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #168 on: May 20, 2018, 11:12:01 pm »

😂😂

I just get so pissed off that hate runs football.

I hate united, like really really detest them to a point where it's disabling and I actually resent that I feel this way over football. But family of red scousers youve got no chance

As for Everton fans. Just wow, their lives are us. They are actually insane with hate and rival anything South America or Eastern Europe can drum up. The derby is genuinly a horrible watch. These are our neighbours

That's my reason for the England stuff. Just for 1 month all get together and forget our sport has been ravaged by hate and resentment the way the rest of the fucking world has

So Andy love you mate but disagree with you on this one.

'Love each other' George Harrison's final words. I can do a month 😂

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:15:04 pm by rushyman »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:49 am »
It depends,sometimes I do sometimes I don't. It always makes me laugh though when people want to use the whole imperial racist angle to beat England with, and then in turn support the likes of Portugal and Spain or France, who have a similar history?
Indeed. Many of the great footballing nations have plenty of baggage if you want to bring political history in to it, which you shouldn't be doing anyway as sport and politics should be as separate as possible.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2020, 01:02:36 pm »
This might not be in the strictly most appropriate thread (where's the "England Footy Team" thread??), but to be honest the way threads are named on here it is fecking hard to find threads using key words!!!
Especially some of the 'cleverly-named' threads the main board  ::)

Just watched this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC103Zl4O7o

Looking at the team sheets realised that half the England team was basically us - Johnson, Hendo, Stevie, Raheem, Studge..  off the back off our successful 2013/14 season no doubt.
And Luis was starring for Uruguay.

Even with all those players of ours in the England team, I was still wanting Uruguay to win and for Luis to have a blinder..............but why??? I can't quite put my finger on it.
Looking back 6 years ago i think my head was in that place where I was pissed off that the whole media was against Luis (esp. English) and I just wanted him to stick two fingers up to them by knocking them out of the WC.
Sorry Stevie.
I think I saw this as Stevie's downward curve moment so it wasn't like he was expected to lift the WC with England anyway.
Writing it down now like that it does seem weird, no?
Did anyone feel like me at the time?
My indifference to England being so set that I didn't even care if they lost with Stevie as captain! And all those other Red in the team!

As a footnote, looking at the game in those 11 min highlights:
Looked like Johnson was playing a decent game. We bought him originally for the skills he displayed in this game. He still had it in 2014.
Cahill was shite.........why didn't he close Luis down to put him off for the winning goal??? he almost freezes within a metre of him.
Actually the Cahill - Jagielka defensive partnership looked shite on paper and was shite on the day.
Luis nearly caught hart out TWICE at his near post with a couple of cheeky inswingers :D
Muslera made some good saves. Hart was walking a tight-rope. Looked nervous as hell. Was this the game that he also went nuts on the ballboys??
Look at Luis setting up his first goal from quite far out and then ghosting into position for his first goal.........kids - try this at home / on the pitches..
Look at the way Luis just smashed his laces thru his second goal. No placement. just pure venom and aimed it in the general direction of the goal. Hart had no chance. Only luck would have stopped it.
Credit to Stevie for the assist.
 ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2020, 04:49:01 pm »
Suarez wasn't even fully fit, it was pure spite and hatred that powered him through. Wonderful stuff.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2020, 06:27:20 pm »
Suarez wasn't even fully fit, it was pure spite and hatred that powered him through. Wonderful stuff.
Enjoyed it so much. With half a knee after keyhold surgery, and no match fitness, he put Hodgson's England out. Was a brilliant individual performance.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2020, 06:32:35 pm »
Was in a pub full of England fans with two friends. Had to leave just after the game as it was very obvious we were supporting Luis 🤣

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2020, 07:35:16 pm »
We went for a pint while in Florida and there was an England game on and got talking to some Yorkshire and Southern England supporters. They couldn't believe that all of us which would of been six were not really bothered if England won, lost or drew. I remember my Dad saying to one " We are only interested in Liverpool Football Club..

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2020, 08:26:30 pm »
We went for a pint while in Florida and there was an England game on and got talking to some Yorkshire and Southern England supporters. They couldn't believe that all of us which would of been six were not really bothered if England won, lost or drew. I remember my Dad saying to one " We are only interested in Liverpool Football Club..

I’m the same. Never supported England and never will do. I just can’t see how you can give players from City, United etc shit when we play them and then cheer the same player when they put an England shirt on. Now I know some people may say that’s a bit daft as we could sign them, but if they played for us then that’s different. I always cheer for England’s opponents and I can’t wait for them to get knocked out of tournaments.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2020, 08:54:43 pm »
I’m the same. Never supported England and never will do. I just can’t see how you can give players from City, United etc shit when we play them and then cheer the same player when they put an England shirt on. Now I know some people may say that’s a bit daft as we could sign them, but if they played for us then that’s different. I always cheer for England’s opponents and I can’t wait for them to get knocked out of tournaments.

By supporting their opponents, are you not then often supporting players from Manchester Untied, Man City etc?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2020, 09:29:46 pm »
It has nothing to do with the players for me. All about the fans who are all c*nts. Happy to sing about scousers, preach stereotypes etc the whole country does it all year long whether related to football or not. They can all get fucked I love to see the national pride take a whacking whenever possible.

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2020, 09:33:14 pm »
By supporting their opponents, are you not then often supporting players from Manchester Untied, Man City etc?

I suppose you could look at it that way.  When I say support the opposition, I don’t jump up and down when they score, I just prefer them to win.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2020, 10:42:51 pm »

Always been indifferent to international football and am certainly no supporter of England when it comes to football. I came to life that night watching Suarez though, unbelievable performance.

All the more gutting he left a few weeks later!

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2020, 10:54:21 pm »
Always been indifferent to international football and am certainly no supporter of England when it comes to football. I came to life that night watching Suarez though, unbelievable performance.

All the more gutting he left a few weeks later!

Remember Hodgson saying before the game that he couldn’t be called world class until he done it on the international stage. Bet that was music to Luis’s ears. You think I’m not world class, I’ll show you.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2020, 12:55:12 am »
It has nothing to do with the players for me. All about the fans who are all c*nts. Happy to sing about scousers, preach stereotypes etc the whole country does it all year long whether related to football or not. They can all get fucked I love to see the national pride take a whacking whenever possible.

I've never been remotely interested in international football. Not even as a kid.

I think the only time I ever really wanted England to win a game was that time in, I think, the late 70s or early 80s when three quarters of the team were Liverpool players. Even then, it was only that I wanted our lads to be successful.

As I got a bit older I just saw England as London Media FC. Watched by S*n readers and assorted dregs from the fanbases of no mark clubs who never got to travel much with their own clubs.

The nauseating entitlement of the English football media and many within the England set-up led me to see England as the international equivalent of Man United of the 70s and 80s. Full of what they were going to do, but going on to do nothing of note at all. Basically, an overblown, arrogant, entitled embarrassment. Even today the whole England roadshow is painfully embarrassing to witness. From the media to the peacock players to the cringey fans. Honestly, it's no wonder the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots piss themselves laughing at London Media FC.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2020, 03:05:59 am »
Not English or Brittish for that matter, but I'd take Liverpool winning anything over my country winning anything internationally

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2020, 04:06:29 am »
I have enjoyed watching England v Scotland (and some of the NI and Wales matches) games from the 60s through to the 80s - I used to love the home internationals and seeing Kenny, Greaves and Dennis Law - true greats

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2020, 04:24:50 am »
Fucking hate them. I'm not from Liverpool myself so I don't have the 'Scouse not English' thing but I guess after I did my dissertation on the media coverage of Hillsborough, I learned a lot more about the horrible slurs/stereotypes that people used prior to the disaster that the Government and Police weaponised to pass the blame onto the victims which I found abhorrent. Then the general feeling amongst England for our aways in general, it's never about football, it's about giros, stolen cars, victims, it's your fault etc. So what do we have left? The monarchy? Don't believe in it. Pride of being English? 52% of the country are rabid anti EU and isolationist so not a fan of that either.

Combine them all and when Croatia scored the winner last year I was dancing around my living room.

Edit: For posterity I must add that I adored England in 1996 and 1998 when I had just got into football. I think at a push I supported them up until about 2004. But it got the point where I was like, "you wanna sing this stuff all year and then hold hands at the end of the season?" nah.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:27:20 am by Hij »
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2020, 04:29:46 am »
Actually that comes with a caveat, I want to see Liverpool players do well. Which is why I was gutted when Carragher scored his penalty too early and had to retake it and when I think Henderson missed one last year. But that's primarily because I want to see them shove it down their throats.

Also their best result in 2001 was Germany 1 Liverpool 5 wasn't it?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2020, 06:49:57 am »
Remember Hodgson saying before the game that he couldn’t be called world class until he done it on the international stage. Bet that was music to Luis’s ears. You think I’m not world class, I’ll show you.

When asked whether Suarez belonged in the same “world-class” bracket as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, the England manager said: “I think he will only be at that level when he shows it on this particular stage.

“He has got the potential. He is a wonderful footballer. But if you are really going to put him up there with (Diego) Maradona, Pele, (Franz) Beckenbauer and (Johan) Cruyff, and (Andrea) Pirlo, this is the stage you have got to do it on really.

“You can be a great player in your league but for the world to recognise you are one of the all-time greats you have got to do it at the World Cup.”

“It wasn’t revenge, but in England they talked about the injury and the coach had words that annoyed [me],” Suárez was quoted as saying on the Uruguayan website Tenfield.

*Curb theme plays*
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2020, 07:17:39 am »
English people only to answer this please - you'll see why.

So England winning the World Cup - don't laugh, it is possible, it has happened before - has got to be good for the country BUT if you had control (imagine you do) over who won what, which trophy would you rather Liverpool win than England win the World Cup?  In other words, how far down the list would you go?  I think I'm right in saying we'd all rather Liverpool won the European Cup than England won the world Cup but then you've got the Europa League, the Premier League, the FA Cup and the League Cup (whatever guise it goes under).  None of that "I'd rather Liverpool won a throw-in than England won the World Cup", it doesn't make your support more valid, just stick to the question, please.  Is it better for your self-esteem and the national feel good factor for England to win the World Cup or is the boost you'd get in mid-February when Liverpool win the League Cup preferable? 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2020, 08:20:36 am »
I'd rather Liverpool won the Champions League and the Premier League than England won anything, really. I'd be elated by England winning something if Liverpool players were key in the team and received the credit and confidence boost of doing so. I'd be irritated if that did not happen.
Just seen Yorky's comment from two years ago, which sums it up. I start watching because a bunch of Liverpool players is in the squad; I start fulminating when they're subbed off early by an inept manager or when they're not subbed off when they have clearly played too many games. Everything to do with football is seen through a red filter.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:22:48 am by No666 »

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2020, 08:25:12 am »
i will watch England only if they are playing against a rather strong opponent.  if we have a few players playing in the team like TAA or Gomez, I will be happy with their happiness but if they are on the bench, i am full neutral.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2020, 11:22:10 am »
*Curb theme plays*
Aw, Hodgson’s actually been quite respectful there - I was going to spit ‘getting them to the semis literally single-handed in 2010 wasn’t enough?!!’, but he’s talking genuine all-time elite bracket there so fair enough really.

Then again, a guy with Suarez’ personality, the only safe course is to say nothing really (”he didn’t think I was even worth a mention?!! I’ll show him”).

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2020, 12:42:20 pm »
It's probably a similar feeling that us Rangers fans have with the Scottish National team.

Dont get me wrong, we're a weird bunch anyway, with some supporting Noerhern Ireland because of the links, others supporting England, but back in the 70's / 80's, it reckoned the Tartan Army was made up by a large percentage of Rangers supporters.

However, due to many things that have happened, Rangers supporters becoming disillusioned by the SFA, the 'split' that the independence movement created, the understandably lack of Rangers players after their reformation, the national team just being shit in general, a large percentage of Rangers fans don't care a jot for their national team anymore.

This just gets amplified now when Rangers players play for the national team now and get booed by their 'own support'. This league voting fiasco just highlights how Rangers feel they are on the outside of Scottish football nowadays. They used to get called the establishment club, its clear to see that their rivals have well & truly taking that title.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2020, 01:05:37 pm »
Being honest i'd rather Liverpool win any trophy before England win anything.

We arent on our own ask Utd fans this question they would say the same.

I go through phases with England at this moment I would be happy for them to win a Euros or World Cup I like Southgate as a person and he is at least giving young players a chance.

The likes of Roy being in charge for 3 tournies was laughable he was so far out of his depth it was untrue and after his spell here I had zero time for him with his negative approach to the game.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2020, 02:22:21 pm »
Couldn't give a shit about England to be honest. Never have, even as a kid.

Main concern when they play is that Liverpool players have a decent game and more importantly come through it uninjured and not over played.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2020, 04:56:47 pm »
English people only to answer this please - you'll see why.

So England winning the World Cup - don't laugh, it is possible, it has happened before - has got to be good for the country BUT if you had control (imagine you do) over who won what, which trophy would you rather Liverpool win than England win the World Cup?  In other words, how far down the list would you go?  I think I'm right in saying we'd all rather Liverpool won the European Cup than England won the world Cup but then you've got the Europa League, the Premier League, the FA Cup and the League Cup (whatever guise it goes under).  None of that "I'd rather Liverpool won a throw-in than England won the World Cup", it doesn't make your support more valid, just stick to the question, please.  Is it better for your self-esteem and the national feel good factor for England to win the World Cup or is the boost you'd get in mid-February when Liverpool win the League Cup preferable?
I'd rather Liverpool win  any of the trophies on offer than see England win the World Cup. I have no affinity with England at all and absolutely no interest in them or anything to do with them, so it's an easy question for me to answer.

England winning a World Cup would do nothing for my personal self-esteem and feelgood factor, but Liverpool winning anything at all fills me with pride and joy. I'm sure a portion of the country would enjoy it and get a kick out of it, but I just can't identify with and connect with much of this country.

Seeing grown men walking around in Knights Templar outfits whilst singing about German bombers and waving EDL banners just doesn't do it for me really.

My ideal scenario for a major England cup final would be a valiant effort by all the Liverpool players involved, but the team losing and being badly let down by a player or players from an establishment / Tory type of club such as Chelsea. An Ingurland poster-boy messing up would be fitting.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2020, 06:03:31 pm »
International football is a joke.  England v. Kosovo etc. I mean what the fuck is the point?

They put it on prime time on iTV !!

Gee. I wonder what the score will be !

Then they worship the manager because he's 10 games unbeaten or whatever.

Complete joke and a waste of time.

Online Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2020, 10:52:50 pm »
I only like International football when it's the World Cup or Euros finals, because that's bonus football that isn't actively interrupting the club football. And when these tournaments to take place, I suppose I support England more than anyone else, even though my hearts not really in it. That is, until I see the super patriotic dweebs on Twitter who'll claim that Trippier's free kick against Croatia was the best footballing moment of their life, and then I'm out.

I'm more interested in seeing Liverpool players do well. I tend to care more about England winning if it's players like Henderson, Trent, Ox or any LFC alumni that have actively contributed to it. I remember being quite thrilled when Sturridge scored a late winner vs. Wales at Euro 2016, and it wasn't because the English got one over on the Welsh.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 20, 2020, 08:35:07 am »
I never ever support England now. I used to years ago, through the 70s, 80s and 90s then something changed. I think the main reason was refusing to support people like Ferdinand, Rooney, Terry etc.This then progressed to being gobsmacked when people like Beckham and Rooney were being picked when clearly injured. The Owl taking over was the icing on the cake. I remember telling some of the lads at work what a nasty piece of work he was as they were so happy he was going to be in charge. The mind boggles.

I actually laugh now when something goes wrong, which it inevitably does. Lampards 'goal' in South Africa made me smile a lot. Suarez doing what he does best cheered my soul. It's got to the point now when I was shouting at the telly when Columbia missed a penalty in Russia. Cant really explain why.

I just hope that our lads are ok after each dreary game they play through. Jordan having the captaincy taken off him to give to that selfish twat Kane would have ended my involvement in it if I was Jordan. He then had to not only be the main man on the pitch but also do the work of Dier and Alli and fucking Lingard. Then some twat had the audacity to start up a change.org campaign to get Southgate knighted.

During Euro 04 we had a new van at work, which we hadn't liveried, my boss put a red vinyl cross on it and I had to drive around in a 20foot long flag/van for 2 weeks, with people tooting at me. Luckily we soon got knocked out.

We have suffered a lot more than most due to injuries from internationals surely? Sturridge, Torres, unless my memory is playing tricks.We also lost prime, attacking, best player in the league John Barnes, due to some pre tournament friendly when he ruptured his Achilles. Again, that's how I remember it. There must surely be many more.

Bollocks to England, the media and most of their fans.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2020, 08:45:16 am »
No. I can't even be arsed bluffing it in a pub anymore.

I will support individual players (ours) if they score or do well, but that goes for any national side really!

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2020, 08:58:59 am »
As a Liverpool fan, I’d say Euro 96 was probably the last time I’d call myself an England fan, anything after I’d just support the Liverpool players that were in the team, no way could I cheer a goal scored by a Utd, Arsenal & Chelsea player, as the years have gone by with the way rival fans are towards Liverpool player/fans and club in general, I just wish our players would fuck the National team off, big ask I know, as for the dickhead England fans the way they booed Joe Gomez after Sterling went for him, just show the England fan base for what they are.