Author Topic: Elden Ring  (Read 20039 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: Elden Ring - Released 25/2/22 (Please use Spoiler tags!)
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2022, 06:47:13 pm »
Does it have parts that are trial and error? (or phrased another way, do you die before you learn patterns?)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2022, 08:10:01 pm »
played my first few hours. i have no idea what i'm doing but i'm having lots of fun. the world is beautiful. dreamlike is probably the best way i can describe it.

i'm on a top-spec PC and the frames are all over the place. not game-breaking but certainly enough to be annoying. seems to be very common though, tried the fixes on Reddit but they didn't help. Namco have said they're aware of it so hopefully they'll have a patch out soon.

Does it have parts that are trial and error? (or phrased another way, do you die before you learn patterns?)

most definitely. this is my first experience of their titles but I think dying is a fundamental part of these games, a necessary part of the experience and not something to worry about too much. all about trial and error. i'm currently bashing my head against the first boss (died about 15 times so far, got him to 10% twice so I know I can do it but fuuuuuuuuuu). stopping to have dinner and a little cry now
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:12:45 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2022, 08:18:58 pm »
Yeah...I'm waiting until this thing is patched some more to dive in on PC.  I've seen too many people complaining now that it's a stuttering, poorly optimised mess.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2022, 10:05:17 pm »
As a side note, think i’m the only person on the planet who thinks BotW is massively overhyped. Bought it, played it for a few days and then sold it. Bored me shitless.

You're not. I've played it for quite a long time and I did kind of enjoy it, but not to the extent that the general consensus seems to be (i.e. it's  among the best games ever).

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2022, 10:10:10 pm »
Yeah...I'm waiting until this thing is patched some more to dive in on PC.  I've seen too many people complaining now that it's a stuttering, poorly optimised mess.

I know that I am going to love it but I have so many games to get through that it'll be on the bargain bin before I get around to buying it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2022, 10:27:27 pm »
Both loving this and struggling at the same time!

This is far from a criticism, but the open world nature is a bit of a struggle for me at the moment, bit hard to explore when I'm seemingly underlevelled in most directions.

Went through the main path for an hour or so and that's just classic souls. Tense, brilliantly designed, extremely rewarding....

Anyway. Enough writing about it. Time to get good

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2022, 10:47:09 pm »
Just went through the first intro dungeon, kicked some wannabee boss soldiers ass. I was so rusty that I drank all of my estus trying to find bash shield button. Will play more tomorrow. Controls are responsive and graphics are nice.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2022, 11:49:28 pm »
Is it good then?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2022, 11:55:15 pm »
Looks ok, but I haven’t even begun my journey. I do hate that all Souls games use some obscure words for same things - so you need to rewire your brain to the new terminology. 😬

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2022, 02:40:22 am »

I know that I am going to love it but I have so many games to get through that it'll be on the bargain bin before I get around to buying it.

Yeah, I'm probably in the same boat mate.  Just started God of War, Dying Light 2 after that and then we'll see...

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2022, 02:49:40 pm »
Gave it a try on the cracked version, the performance seems decent enough although I had a lot of issues with the controller. Stutters are frustrating on the Tree Sentinel but they seem to have reduced somewhat after several attempts at him, probably something caching related there. Can't kill him after a dozen attempts or so, being Wretched with no levels and the cramped arena doesn't help either.

I'll stop now so I can finish up Danganronpa and buy the game once I'm done.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 02:51:15 pm by Malaysian Kopite »
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2022, 09:14:32 pm »
Enjoying this a lot but fuck me it's brutal going. Thought I was past the age where I got frustrated over video games. How naive :D
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2022, 11:44:47 pm »
Enjoying this a lot but fuck me it's brutal going. Thought I was past the age where I got frustrated over video games. How naive :D

Yeah it's been rough for me too, once I got the chance to explore, level a bit and find some decent equipment things got a little easier and I managed to beat a few of the smaller bosses scattered around the early game area. I do think a lot of the difficulty just stems from poor UI and an absence of information which isn't good, if you need to go do a bunch of research on YT to figure out the basics of a game then the game probably hasn't done a good job of explaining itself.

It's been fun though, aside from trying to figure out when to fight who.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2022, 10:28:54 pm »
About 10/15 hours in now and gotta say, it's incredible.

Held off from doing much in the way of weapon upgrades until I found one that I liked the range/moveset of and by then had enough materials to get to +6 almost immediately. Made a huge difference, especially to horseback combat.

The first major "Dungeon" is fantastic. Brutal, huge and brilliantly designed. The ability to then be able to warp in and out between there and the open world works brilliantly, allowing you to take a respite from the tense, classic souls progression and roam around the wilds looking for secrets and doing a spot of farming.

Going with a hybrid magician, long sword (over the shoulder style, so probably mini greatsword a better description) and it's working fantastically so far. The summons are fantastic too and give you a nice boost when boss fighting without human summons.

So far I'd say it's a masterpiece and possibly my favourite souls of the lot. Gonna be a struggle to actually work from home tomorrow knowing that the house is free and this is available to play!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2022, 01:23:55 am »
Amazing game.

:D

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2022, 08:18:10 am »
Which class did’ya all select? I went with Samurai, as I usually go for quality builds based on DEX, but may restart actually.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2022, 09:05:00 am »
Which class did’ya all select? I went with Samurai, as I usually go for quality builds based on DEX, but may restart actually.

Mage/sorcerer. I had same 'restart' thoughts, but reckon the start is brutal whatever you go with to be honest.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2022, 09:18:58 am »
Wretched, been fun scavenging around half naked.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2022, 10:15:46 am »
Really enjoying seeing the word "Brutal" being used to describe this early doors.

Is Poise, shield stability and Parry/Riposte still an important feature guys?

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2022, 11:24:55 am »

Samurai here too, looked like a good all-rounder class for a beginner like me. Took me a while but I'm clicking with it now, utilising my power attacks properly. I don't fully understand the attribute scaling to be honest but I'm pumping Dex/Vigor with a bit of Mind. I've levelled my Uchigatana up a fair bit now and I feel much stronger than I did in the early game.

Anyway, I bloody love the combat in this game. And everything else about it. Saw some incredible stuff yesterday. That lift! It's absolutely brilliant, unlike anything ive played before. I hope I'm still early-ish in the game because I don't want this to end. 

The only mark against it from my perspective is the performance on PC, takes the shine off the beautiful environment when it keeps juddering around at 15-20 frames. I'm on an RTX3080 and no fixes or settings changes make a difference, exactly the same stuttering at Low settings as there is on Maximum. The sensible thing would probably have been to wait until they fixed this, because the game itself deserves better. But that could be ages away, and I'm completely hooked now.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2022, 11:42:19 am »
Some weapons scale (along with being upgraded themselves) with certain stats. Uchi for example scales with DEX - you can see on the level up screen when you select DEX it shows you the increase in weapon efficiency if Uchi is equipped. Some weapons scale with strength and so on. Samurai isn't bad, plus I often played with katanas in Dark Souls, so am familiar with the moveset. The puny shield is useless as I'm shit at parrying - so may just twohand the fucker and go for broke.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2022, 11:47:08 am »
I went with Hero, similarly because it seemed like a good beginner class. I think I've made some early mistakes though, I upgraded a weapon a couple of times and then found something better but haven't seen a single smithing stone since, and I poured a bunch of points into strength when it seems dexterity is more important for my weapons.

I've managed to defeat a few of the lesser bosses regardless but the first required boss has been a pain, although I think that's more down to me failing to deal with stage 2 of the fight properly rather than an issue with my build.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2022, 12:04:23 pm »

I`m interested in this. Can you party-up or is it pure solo?

I play a bit of Elder Scrolls where i just run around on my own, not interacting with other players basically because i started so long after veterans that i feel very far behind and it`s so deep i don`t really can`t see the big picture of it all. A new game in a similar world setting might be fun.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2022, 12:06:54 pm »
Some weapons scale (along with being upgraded themselves) with certain stats. Uchi for example scales with DEX - you can see on the level up screen when you select DEX it shows you the increase in weapon efficiency if Uchi is equipped. Some weapons scale with strength and so on. Samurai isn't bad, plus I often played with katanas in Dark Souls, so am familiar with the moveset. The puny shield is useless as I'm shit at parrying - so may just twohand the fucker and go for broke.

Right, but what do the letters mean? 'A' meaning it scales very well with DEX, and 'E' very slightly/poorly? Or something more? I'm still using the weapons and armor I started with which feels weird, I'm not sure if that's correct. But I don't fully understand all the stats and haven't found anything that seems better (without adding a lot of weight) and the Uchi's Unsheathe ability seems so strong. I don't think I can apply that to other weapons until I find the Ash of War for it? Maybe I should experiment with other weapons to be honest, my bags are full of them.

A friend did give me a nice shield with 100 Physical dmg reduction or whatever, he told me that was important to block 100% of damage. But I've really only been using the shield against lesser mobs that attack quickly, when I know my shield can absorb the hits. Haven't really got the hang of parrying/riposting either. Against the majority of enemies and certainly bosses I'm going 2-handed, putting that Unsheathe to work and rolling for dear life.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2022, 02:16:53 pm »
Really enjoying seeing the word "Brutal" being used to describe this early doors.

Is Poise, shield stability and Parry/Riposte still an important feature guys?

Poise is a thing, and actually called out with it's own stat on the character overview (unlike DS1 I believe?)

Shield stability I haven't checked, but it very much feels like it. Parry/Riposte and backstab are alive and well (though I'm still to scared to mess about with Parrying :D) They also have the 'overwhelming damage' mechanic where you get that beautful deep/dull sound and an enemy collapses to his knees ready for a critical hit.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2022, 02:20:18 pm »
Right, but what do the letters mean? 'A' meaning it scales very well with DEX, and 'E' very slightly/poorly? Or something more? I'm still using the weapons and armor I started with which feels weird, I'm not sure if that's correct. But I don't fully understand all the stats and haven't found anything that seems better (without adding a lot of weight) and the Uchi's Unsheathe ability seems so strong. I don't think I can apply that to other weapons until I find the Ash of War for it? Maybe I should experiment with other weapons to be honest, my bags are full of them.

A friend did give me a nice shield with 100 Physical dmg reduction or whatever, he told me that was important to block 100% of damage. But I've really only been using the shield against lesser mobs that attack quickly, when I know my shield can absorb the hits. Haven't really got the hang of parrying/riposting either. Against the majority of enemies and certainly bosses I'm going 2-handed, putting that Unsheathe to work and rolling for dear life.

A weapon with A scaling will gain more damage from that corresponding stat than a weapon with B scaling would. But I wouldn't worry too much about that, especially in the early game and possibly even until NG+ or second playthrough.

It's much more important to find a weapon who's moveset you like and fits with your style of play (tank or rolling about) then, once you've made that decision, focus on upgrading that with the blacksmith and putting level points into the corresponding stat. But Vigour and/or Endurance is just as valuable here. Do you want an extra 10/15 points of damage per swing vs an extra swing (by bumping endurance) or the ability to survive three hits from a boss vs two (by bumping vigour)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2022, 02:26:12 pm »
Poise is a thing, and actually called out with it's own stat on the character overview (unlike DS1 I believe?)

Shield stability I haven't checked, but it very much feels like it. Parry/Riposte and backstab are alive and well (though I'm still to scared to mess about with Parrying :D) They also have the 'overwhelming damage' mechanic where you get that beautful deep/dull sound and an enemy collapses to his knees ready for a critical hit.

Poise has its own stat on DS mate.  DS remastered anyway.  I've been wearing the "wolf ring" of occasion which adds a whopping 40 to poise.  Ideal for tanking. :)

Sorry for hijacking ER with DS but my point is to advise new players on the importance of having a nice 'Poise' stat :)

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2022, 02:36:02 pm »
Is it worth starting fresh after getting 10-15 hours of experience? Since I wasted a bunch of smithing stones on a not great weapon and seemingly wasted a bunch of levels on strength when dexterity seems more important for one-handed weapons I'm wondering if I should start again, a lot of that time was spent learning anyway so I'd be able to get back to where I am pretty quickly.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2022, 02:40:19 pm »
Is it worth starting fresh after getting 10-15 hours of experience? Since I wasted a bunch of smithing stones on a not great weapon and seemingly wasted a bunch of levels on strength when dexterity seems more important for one-handed weapons I'm wondering if I should start again, a lot of that time was spent learning anyway so I'd be able to get back to where I am pretty quickly.

I've done this a number of times with Dark Souls. Even after putting in more hours than you. If you want to try a new build, or be more efficient - just do it. You'll be learning the areas, enemies and bosses - so should be able to catch up quickly.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2022, 02:46:59 pm »

Re the smithing stones, I wouldn't stress *too* much - there always comes a point where you can buy the smaller ones from a vendor of some point. Plus, you'll end up getting to the point where you can level two weapons to a pretty high standard if not maxed out

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2022, 02:50:12 pm »
yeah defo don't spend all your XP (souls?) levelling up across ALL stats.

I'd also look for a weapon that scales using just a single stat.  That way, you can concentrate on 1 stat to enhance your combat (either STR or DEX). Strength for Big swords, huge Clubs, massive axes.  Dexterity for nifty cutlasses, scimitars and rapiers etc. 

Don't be fooled into thinking a giant club that requires huge strength and does massive damage in one swing, is infinitely better than a high Dexterity dependent Rapier that can do the same damage in 5 or 6 swift slashes in the same amount of time.

As for Vitality (health) and Endurance (stamina), I feel they are always worth levelling up in unison and are essential for success no matter what build of character you go for.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 02:53:03 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2022, 02:58:41 pm »
I've done this a number of times with Dark Souls. Even after putting in more hours than you. If you want to try a new build, or be more efficient - just do it. You'll be learning the areas, enemies and bosses - so should be able to catch up quickly.
Yeah I think for the sake of efficiency it might be worth it to get myself set up better for the first few real bosses.
Re the smithing stones, I wouldn't stress *too* much - there always comes a point where you can buy the smaller ones from a vendor of some point. Plus, you'll end up getting to the point where you can level two weapons to a pretty high standard if not maxed out
Main reason for thinking of restarting is that grinding to the point where I can just buy them will be a lot more brutal than if I were to just restart and pour everything into one setup initially.
yeah defo don't spend all your XP (souls?) levelling up across ALL stats.

I'd also look for a weapon that scales using just a single stat.  That way, you can concentrate on 1 stat to enhance your combat (either STR or DEX). Strength for Big swords, huge Clubs, massive axes.  Dexterity for nifty cutlasses, scimitars and rapiers etc. 

Don't be fooled into thinking a giant club that requires huge strength and does massive damage in one swing, is infinitely better than a high Dexterity dependent Rapier that can do the same damage in 5 or 6 swift slashes in the same amount of time.

As for Vitality (health) and Endurance (stamina), I feel they are always worth levelling up in unison and are essential for success no matter what build of character you go for.
I made the mistake of thinking strength increased melee damage across all weapons and dexterity was more about speed. I realised my mistake when I found the Twinblade and was 8 dexterity levels away from being able to equip it.

Offline Dench57

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2022, 07:56:13 pm »
For those of you who've got past Limgrave

Spoiler
is the zone past Godrick harder than Caelid? I think I've finished Limgrave but finding Caelid quite rough, not sure if it's meant to be the 2nd zone.
[close]

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 1, 2022, 12:49:38 am »
Think this is harder than most souls games, i’m struggling with most stuff in Limgrave.

Finally got to Margit and got my ass handed to me.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 1, 2022, 09:20:47 am »
Think this is harder than most souls games, i’m struggling with most stuff in Limgrave.

Spoiler
Don't forget to activate the summon statues near to bosses. I think you then need to use one of the items that shows summon signs as well, but there will be an NPC summon for that fight who was super helpful for me. Also seems that parries are super helpful in that fight (and future ones)
[close]

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #75 on: March 1, 2022, 07:41:40 pm »

Margit is unreasonably tough for a first boss.

The game is designed in a way where it expects you to really be thorough with Limgrave I feel, after you finish Stormveil Castle the balance is better.

The art direction, as always, is stellar.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 1, 2022, 09:10:32 pm »
Roamed around a bit today. Aside from that camp with soldiers and sheep, I can’t find anything I can tackle. Through the gate some huge beast stomps me while archers pick me off. Is this where I’m supposed to go?

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #77 on: March 1, 2022, 09:24:09 pm »
Roamed around a bit today. Aside from that camp with soldiers and sheep, I can’t find anything I can tackle. Through the gate some huge beast stomps me while archers pick me off. Is this where I’m supposed to go?

I'd venture South of Limgrave:

This bridge can be a bit of a twat to get past early on so I'd just run past on horseback:

Also to note, you can find map fragments used to unlock the map by journeying towards the markers:

Online Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #78 on: March 1, 2022, 09:29:12 pm »

You can summon your horse and just sprint past that beast and the archers, eventually you turn up at a little shack. With one of those fast travel torch things.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 1, 2022, 09:40:04 pm »
Yeah, about that.
I decided not to use the horse. 😬
I don’t like it’s bouncy ways.