Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 111731 times)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #240 on: February 28, 2017, 07:04:30 pm »
Some real nice indie titles on the way.

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: March 1, 2017, 02:57:20 pm »
Some real nice indie titles on the way.

Was really impressed with that presentation. But it begs the question - why the fuck didn't they show us that earlier?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: March 1, 2017, 04:06:38 pm »
Was really impressed with that presentation. But it begs the question - why the fuck didn't they show us that earlier?
That's just how Nintendo roll.

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: March 1, 2017, 04:25:19 pm »
That's just how Nintendo roll.

As I'm sure you've already read, I cancelled my pre-order because of the lack of news, then they go and drop some fantastic looking indie titles on us that I would buy in a heartbeat. Fuckers.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 1, 2017, 04:37:48 pm »
As I'm sure you've already read, I cancelled my pre-order because of the lack of news, then they go and drop some fantastic looking indie titles on us that I would buy in a heartbeat. Fuckers.
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. It still has a way to go to prove itself. By the time all the bullshit gets ironed out (hopefully it does) and there are more games for it, it'll be an easier acquisition to part the money for. A handful of decent games, and reasonably priced peripherals would make all the difference to it.

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: March 1, 2017, 05:24:33 pm »
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. It still has a way to go to prove itself. By the time all the bullshit gets ironed out (hopefully it does) and there are more games for it, it'll be an easier acquisition to part the money for. A handful of decent games, and reasonably priced peripherals would make all the difference to it.

I watched the Rerez review on Youtube earlier and it - largely - allayed my annoyances about cancelling. I found myself agreeing with him that it was trying to be a master of all things, and getting agonisingly close, but not close enough.

I do wonder though, whether the Switch's success might lie in these Indie titles and it being a really compelling platform for games that can be played for shorter periods.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: March 2, 2017, 12:04:49 am »
I watched the Rerez review on Youtube earlier and it - largely - allayed my annoyances about cancelling. I found myself agreeing with him that it was trying to be a master of all things, and getting agonisingly close, but not close enough.

I do wonder though, whether the Switch's success might lie in these Indie titles and it being a really compelling platform for games that can be played for shorter periods.

I've said if this was simply a handheld the reactions would be different. As a handheld it's dynamite.

I'm rarely ever going to use the dock to play on TV as I wanted a handheld and this is what I have.

Going from my 3DS to this is a huge leap.

It's clearly rushed to market as they want to get it out before fiscal year end so is clearly undercooked. By holidays 2017 it should be hitting its stride.

I think in 2 years they will release a just a handheld sku.

I really don't understand complains of the battery. The internals of the Switch shows Nintendo put the largest battery they could inside. There is no unused space to get a larger battery in there. People want a larger form factor?

You play any high graphical intense game on a smartphone or tablet and the battery drains. Unfortunately battery technology just hasn't moved as quick as mobile technology has.

3 hours and a half for Zelda on medium brightness and no WiFi sounds good to me. Carry a powerbank with you for extra juice if required.

I read the ign review and I'm baffled

As a handheld, the Switch is a powerful piece of hardware with a gorgeous screen, but it's too large and power hungry to feel like you can really take it anywhere

Too large because it doesn't fit in one's pocket?

3 hours+ isn't long enough to use when out and about?

The system will have cons but the two mentioned above are ridiculous.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 12:14:31 am by puroresu_kid »

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 2, 2017, 12:27:12 am »
I've said if this was simply a handheld the reactions would be different. As a handheld it's dynamite.

I'm rarely ever going to use the dock to play on TV as I wanted a handheld and this is what I have.

Going from my 3DS to this is a huge leap.

It's clearly rushed to market as they want to get it out before fiscal year end so is clearly undercooked. By holidays 2017 it should be hitting its stride.

I really don't understand complains of the battery. The internals of the Switch shows Nintendo put the largest battery they could inside. There is no unused space to get a larger battery in there. People want a larger form factor?

You play any high graphical intense game on a smartphone or tablet and the battery drains. Unfortunately battery technology just hasn't moved as quick as mobile technology has.

3 hours and a half for Zelda on medium brightness and no WiFi sounds good to me. Carry a powerbank with you for extra juice if required.

The battery issue is one of Nintendo's own making, as far as I can see. The original claims were an estimate of 3 hours upwards to around 6 hours. I think most of the reviewers have said that it's very difficult to get more than 3 hours of Zelda out of it, even by totally compromising your wifi and brightness settings. I'm not convinced by the claim that the battery is the biggest capacity unit they could fit in the switch.

This image shows the battery to be in the region of double the physical size of my Note 4 battery.

My Samsung Note 4 has a 3200 mAH battery in it and it's absolutely minuscule, I also have a GPD XD - an Android handheld emulator and that has a 6,000 mAH battery in it, and the form factor is very similar to the switch and contains, relatively speaking, the same sort of techs that are found in the Switch. I suspect this is a production cost thing, more than it is a size thing for Nintendo.

I'm still excited by it though, it just doesn't make any financial sense to pick one up now when I can play BOTW on my Wii U.

The Day 1 patch (8gb) will be very interesting. It may be that it provides an enormous amount of battery/memory efficiency improvements and gets us closer to hitting the sweetspot.

I'm happy to sit back and wait and see, but I'm also quite jealous of those that haven't cancelled their preorders!

One area of concern, just whilst I think about it, is that the dock apparently fails to charge the Switch past 80-ish %, hopefully that's just a bug that's ironed out Day 1.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: March 2, 2017, 12:56:07 am »
I don't see any wasted space. Bigger battery means bigger system as I assume they need to battery in its current format which won't cause overheating.

I'm guessing game's not as graphical intense as say Zelda will see the battery go longer.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 2, 2017, 10:00:06 am »

I don't think it was rushed. Released a tad early, but that's only when you factor in the games arriving for it, and even then there's still games for it. Just not the ones people were expecting.

I also doubt they will ever release the system without the dock and the controller shell. That just completely defeats the design purpose and the marketing behind the thing to begin with, which is that it's a hybrid console. The first of its kind. That's it's main selling point. They won't detract from that by mudding the market and confusing people with a separate release. The dock won't be an optional thing. Confusion is one of the main reasons why the Wii U failed after all.

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: March 2, 2017, 10:31:23 am »
Sounds like they're going to have to release some joycons with different button configurations given I've heard various levels of moaning about the analogue stick positions and lack of d-pad.

For someone like me who's into his retro titles a left d-pad is essential.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: March 2, 2017, 11:33:23 am »
Sounds like they're going to have to release some joycons with different button configurations given I've heard various levels of moaning about the analogue stick positions and lack of d-pad.

For someone like me who's into his retro titles a left d-pad is essential.

Yes this is a big issue for me.  No D-pad means many of those indie titles are no good to me as I want to play them in handheld mode.

I have no doubt they will release more joy-cons for when VC is launched.

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
« Reply #252 on: March 3, 2017, 07:03:51 am »
DPD saying it's being delivered today, Zelda when I get home!!

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: March 3, 2017, 08:01:36 am »
Really considering getting a Switch after watching the Zelda reviews. What other titles are people looking forward to? I'm guessing Mario Kart and Smash Bros will be ported at some point.

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #254 on: March 3, 2017, 10:22:45 am »
I changed my mind. Ordered a Switch for Same Day Delivery this morning.

All this Zelda talk made me too excited.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #255 on: March 3, 2017, 11:04:28 am »
Anyone getting a switch today and trying to find a physical copy of the Zelda game. Amazon Prime Now has them in stock - and so is the actual Switch console.

Gonna be an epic weekend with Zelda!
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: March 3, 2017, 11:09:27 am »
Anyone getting a switch today and trying to find a physical copy of the Zelda game. Amazon Prime Now has them in stock - and so is the actual Switch console.

Gonna be an epic weekend with Zelda!

Fuck it. I'm doing it.

Forget every other post I've made in the thread ;D

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: March 3, 2017, 11:13:48 am »
Fuck it. I'm doing it.

Forget every other post I've made in the thread ;D

Fuck off.

They don't do Prime Now in Ealing. Christ almighty.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: March 3, 2017, 11:21:37 am »
You never see many independent game stores anymore. They used to be quality when I was a kid, could always get a game a day or two early or pick up release consoles. They'd usually be tucked away down roads people wouldn't go down. Miss them

Bit off topic I know!!!!

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #259 on: March 3, 2017, 11:53:22 am »
Fuck off.

They don't do Prime Now in Ealing. Christ almighty.

I just got same day delivery from my local Argos.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #260 on: March 3, 2017, 12:04:44 pm »
I am not a fan of it as a console but as a handheld it's blown everything out the water.

I will be buying it when the price is lower but for travel, especially on airplanes this thing will dominate, especially if it has USB/can play video files from USB for those plane journeys

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #261 on: March 3, 2017, 12:08:24 pm »
I have a switch arriving today. I then have to keep hold of it for 7 weeks until my son's birthday. It's like waiting for Christmas.

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #262 on: March 3, 2017, 12:25:26 pm »
I have a switch arriving today. I then have to keep hold of it for 7 weeks until my son's birthday. It's like waiting for Christmas.

Got to plug it in to make sure all the downloads are done ready for his birthday though.

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: March 3, 2017, 12:28:04 pm »
Got to plug it in to make sure all the downloads are done ready for his birthday though.

The day 1 patch is only a couple of Gb apparently, so not the monsters you get when you install a new game on to a XB1 / PS4.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: March 3, 2017, 12:31:23 pm »
You never see many independent game stores anymore. They used to be quality when I was a kid, could always get a game a day or two early or pick up release consoles. They'd usually be tucked away down roads people wouldn't go down. Miss them

Bit off topic I know!!!!
I know exactly what you mean. They saved me many a time when I was younger from disappointment on release days. I remember buying my copy of Ocarina of Time from one because it was the only place in the city that had a copy left. It's disgusting, because greedy bastards like Game survived when they were nearly liquidated a few years back.

Conversely, it now looks like I'll be waiting a day (possibly more) for my copy of BoTW to arrive, as I was expecting it earlier and it didn't come. I refuse to pay Game's in-shop extortionate prices.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 12:34:50 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
« Reply #265 on: March 3, 2017, 04:45:51 pm »
Don't worry as ShopTo and DPD fucked up and lots of us aren't getting the switch either, mines scheduled for Monday now, Shopto don't want to know and DPD aren't responding, wont be using Shopto again....

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: March 3, 2017, 04:49:22 pm »
Don't worry as ShopTo and DPD fucked up and lots of us aren't getting the switch either, mines scheduled for Monday now, Shopto don't want to know and DPD aren't responding, wont be using Shopto again....

I'm surprised about DPD as they're my go-to courier. They're the only half competent ones around, in my opinion.

They're probably not arsed answering the same questions for the umpteenth time ;D

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
« Reply #267 on: March 3, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »
seems to be fuckups with GAME orders using DPD too..
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 05:29:13 pm by francobones »

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: March 3, 2017, 06:06:55 pm »

I'm surprised, I've never had anything less than perfect service from both. I wouldn't be so quick to fuck them both off, they're the best in their respective fields in my opinion.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
« Reply #269 on: March 3, 2017, 07:14:51 pm »
To be fair to dpd they have been apologetic and say it was collected by them and is now lost, Shopto however didn't want to know and just said it's coming Monday how they know this when it's lost is another question...

Just checked again and now it's on its way to my local depot but won't get it till Monday.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 07:19:07 pm by francobones »

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: March 4, 2017, 02:13:49 pm »
What are the early impressions lads?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #271 on: March 4, 2017, 02:29:02 pm »
What are the early impressions lads?

Nice box. Still unopened. Still tempting.

Offline francobones

• Main Stander
« Reply #272 on: March 4, 2017, 03:24:32 pm »
Nice tracking number, still refreshing every now and agin in the vain hope it will arrive today, still giving DPD some stick on Twitter....

Online Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: March 4, 2017, 03:27:45 pm »
Nice tracking number, still refreshing every now and agin in the vain hope it will arrive today, still giving DPD some stick on Twitter....

You can follow DPD vans by GPS on their website.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: March 5, 2017, 04:09:59 pm »
I don't know how you could justify buying one of these in its current state.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: March 6, 2017, 11:11:06 am »
Well I caved didn't I.

Was watching reviews of Zelda the night before release, reading how it might be the best game ever and decided I just had to have it in my life. Walked into Argos the next morning and picked one up. They had 7 in stock.

I also got Dance 2017 for my 9 year old daughter - was a £22 deal with the machine as a bundle. She's bang into Zelda though.

I've spent around 6/7 hours playing Zelda so far and I have to say it's everything gamers are saying it is. An incredibly immersive game. Was sat in bed playing it last night but was thinking that this game deserves better than the handheld screen - as impressive as it is.

Will report more back later this week.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: March 6, 2017, 11:20:16 am »
I don't know how you could justify buying one of these in its current state.

To be fair there were fuck all launch titles on PS4 or Xbox one - at least Nintendo have one of the worlds best franchises launching the first new game for many years. Maybe that's enough justification. Better than Killzone or Infamous SS or whatever, and probably by miles to be honest.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: March 6, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »
To be fair there were fuck all launch titles on PS4 or Xbox one - at least Nintendo have one of the worlds best franchises launching the first new game for many years. Maybe that's enough justification. Better than Killzone or Infamous SS or whatever, and probably by miles to be honest.
At least there were the standard third party titles like Call of Duty and Fifa.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #278 on: March 6, 2017, 03:17:41 pm »
At least there were the standard third party titles like Call of Duty and Fifa.
I don't think people buy Nintendo consoles for those though. At least I wouldn't. I'd buy it for the likes of Zelda, which is still unparalleled, and their other first party games. They've started very strong with Breath of the Wild. Ports of the recent Mario Kart and Smash Bros entries will help, as will that new Mario game if it can be on par with the likes of Galaxy. Hopefully at some point the Metroid series gets back on track too.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: March 6, 2017, 03:20:27 pm »
I don't think people buy Nintendo consoles for those though. At least I wouldn't. I'd buy it for the likes of Zelda, which is still unparalleled, and their other first party games. They've started very strong with Breath of the Wild. Ports of the recent Mario Kart and Smash Bros entries will help, as will that new Mario game if it can be on par with the likes of Galaxy. Hopefully at some point the Metroid series gets back on track too.
No, Nintendo fans buy the consoles for exclusives. If they want to take back a competitive share of the console market they need to launch with well known third party titles to get people onboard.