Author Topic: Qatar's True WC Legacy: news and reports on the human cost of sportswashing.  (Read 395954 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: World Cup 2022 - Qatar
« Reply #1880 on: July 18, 2022, 08:49:54 am »
Just popped in to say, fuck this tournament, fuck FIFA, and fuck Qatar.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1881 on: July 18, 2022, 01:10:54 pm »
;D I can see him doing it,again he got ballsh for it

Always make me laugh this ;D look at the little shit cowering away away getting clapped

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1882 on: July 18, 2022, 01:15:28 pm »
Not going yo lie but it makes me sick our players will be competing at this farce. The whole football community should be ashamed of themselves.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1883 on: July 22, 2022, 07:13:31 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-62250849

It would be great if this was adopted in football, maybe stretch it to abortions too.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1884 on: August 3, 2022, 11:28:05 pm »
Funny how the football has binned the taking of the knee months before teams head off to Qatar.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1885 on: August 3, 2022, 11:38:23 pm »
Funny how the football has binned the taking of the knee months before teams head off to Qatar.

Hadn't most other leagues stopped doing it anyway? There was a few games in Europe where we took the knee but others didn't.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1886 on: August 3, 2022, 11:44:53 pm »
As much as I support BLM, I don't think the pre match taking the knee was intended to be a permanent fixture.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1887 on: August 11, 2022, 03:03:39 pm »

'FIFA released the fixtures and kick-off times for the 2022 World Cup on April Fools' Day.

132 days later, it has realised that having the Opening Ceremony before the third game wasn't such a great idea.' - https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1557320992267141120

Article here - 'World Cup set to start a day earlier, with Qatar vs. Ecuador moved forward to Nov. 20 - sources':-

www.espn.co.uk/football/fifa-world-cup/story/4717953/world-cup-set-to-start-a-day-earlier-with-qatar-vs-ecuador-moved-forward-to-nov-20-sources

^ if true that is a kick in the teeth for fans of the countries involved who have already made travel arrangements and hotel bookings etc...

Edit: Qatar v Ecuador being moved is now confirmed - and no thought - or even a mention - made of the Ecuador or neutral fans inconvenienced... or those fans who will now miss this game, or now have to try and re-book flights, hotel issues, time off work etc...

(other than FIFA vaguely stating 'FIFA will seek to address any issues arising from this change on a case-by-case basis' - in regards to match tickets.)

'World Cup 2022: Tournament will start one day early with Qatar v Ecuador' - www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62514018

www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/articles/qatar-v-ecuador-to-kick-off-fifa-world-cup-2022-tm-on-20-november

« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 03:11:55 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1888 on: August 11, 2022, 06:01:15 pm »
FIFA are just fucking c*nts

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1889 on: August 11, 2022, 07:18:36 pm »
It’s a power move. They are showing that thay can do whatever they want and people will still watch this travesty of a World Cup. Wonder what they will announce next. Bigger goals, maybe? No refs?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1890 on: August 11, 2022, 08:01:42 pm »
World Blood Cup is more like it, I'll not watch a single second of it, I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way about this corrupt human rights abusing farce.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1891 on: August 11, 2022, 08:28:09 pm »
It’s a power move. They are showing that thay can do whatever they want and people will still watch this travesty of a World Cup. Wonder what they will announce next. Bigger goals, maybe? No refs?
World Blood Cup is more like it, I'll not watch a single second of it, I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way about this corrupt human rights abusing farce.

Simple question - why didn't these c*nts just keep it as is from prior years and have that game first right from the outset? To fucking high on oil money?

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1892 on: August 11, 2022, 09:11:54 pm »
They broke the football calendar without a whimper from the football world. They can do whatever they want.

It doesn’t affect me as I would only tune in if a meteor hit a stadium and ignited the oil fields for a nice backdrop.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #1893 on: August 12, 2022, 10:00:17 am »
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-qatar-100-days-to-go-b2142962.html

With 100 days to go to the big kick-off, Miguel Delaney explores how the most controversial World Cup in history came to be – and the human rights concerns that plague it....
Believer

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: August 12, 2022, 11:19:30 am »
They broke the football calendar without a whimper from the football world. They can do whatever they want.

It doesn’t affect me as I would only tune in if a meteor hit a stadium and ignited the oil fields for a nice backdrop.

The gulf oil regimes are going to be wielding even more power and influence in Europe now that their oil and gas is essential to countries after Russia attacked Ukraine,that just played everything toward their pockets.

I don't think there's going to be pressure to deny anything to them in the next few years in Europe,human rights,political assassinations or their own attacks to neighbours be damned,certainly not in football matters.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1895 on: August 12, 2022, 11:24:47 am »
Simple question - why didn't these c*nts just keep it as is from prior years and have that game first right from the outset? To fucking high on oil money?

Because they know that absolutely no one wants to watch Qatar play and that the viewing figures will be laughably low for the first game of a World Cup. Qatar have probably flung some more money their way though.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1896 on: August 12, 2022, 11:41:16 am »
Because they know that absolutely no one wants to watch Qatar play and that the viewing figures will be laughably low for the first game of a World Cup. Qatar have probably flung some more money their way though.
They will probably miraculously qualify for the knockout stages after scraping three draws together. In twenty years time they will have lobbied long enough so that national teams may draft players of other nations or something like that. Year 2040: “FIFA to vote on new rule: players who have spent at least six months in a foreign country will be eligible to play for that nation”

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1897 on: August 12, 2022, 08:55:51 pm »
Ex Germany player Philip Lahm has announced he is boycotting the World Cup, citing the human rights abuse as his reason. Apparently he is getting grief on social media because of it.
Hopefully it will lead to more people doing the right thing and doing the same.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1898 on: August 12, 2022, 09:09:14 pm »
Ex Germany player Philip Lahm has announced he is boycotting the World Cup, citing the human rights abuse as his reason. Apparently he is getting grief on social media because of it.
Hopefully it will lead to more people doing the right thing and doing the same.

Good for Lahm...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1899 on: August 13, 2022, 10:00:16 am »
Yes, well in Lahm, but he’s pretty late to the party. Everything helps, I guess.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1900 on: August 13, 2022, 12:28:02 pm »

I won't be watching any of it - but I hope Ecuador give Qatar a right going over in their match.

Senegal and Netherlands too (the other teams in Qatar's group).

That's if the referees and FIFA officials* are on the up - and we don't get any 'strange' match officiating that somehow helps Qatar out - as has been seen to benefit the hosts of certain previous World Cups...

* - I almost said 'FIFA officials are on the up' with a straight face, there. ;)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #1901 on: August 13, 2022, 12:29:12 pm »
I think we really should do our best to ghost the tournament while it's going on. Pretending it doesn't exist. Any tournament threads being summarily locked et cetera. Think it's a great idea.
Linudden.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1902 on: August 13, 2022, 04:23:12 pm »
Spoiler
fuck this tournament, fuck FIFA, and fuck Qatar.
[close]

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1903 on: August 15, 2022, 04:08:04 pm »

Weird World Cup tweets have begun...

'Today, we’ve handed over the first of 24 @eurofighter Typhoons to the Qatar Emiri Air Force at a ceremony in Warton, Lancashire. This jet will provide critical air support during @FIFAWorldCup this year.' - https://twitter.com/BAESystemsAir/status/1559179302918361090

Fighter jets providing 'critical air support during the FIFA World Cup'... seems Qatar really are going to clamp down on anyone breaking their laws or misbehaving during the World Cup...

I suppose that makes BAE the official jet fighter sponsors of the 2022 World Cup.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1904 on: August 18, 2022, 11:38:53 am »
Weird World Cup tweets have begun...

'Today, we’ve handed over the first of 24 @eurofighter Typhoons to the Qatar Emiri Air Force at a ceremony in Warton, Lancashire. This jet will provide critical air support during @FIFAWorldCup this year.' - https://twitter.com/BAESystemsAir/status/1559179302918361090

Fighter jets providing 'critical air support during the FIFA World Cup'... seems Qatar really are going to clamp down on anyone breaking their laws or misbehaving during the World Cup...

I suppose that makes BAE the official jet fighter sponsors of the 2022 World Cup.

Am I missing something, why does a World Cup need jet fighters?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1905 on: August 18, 2022, 11:42:07 am »

To oppress the masses obviously.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1906 on: August 18, 2022, 12:33:23 pm »
Good for Lahm...

His whole family are joining him I believe and I for one look forward to the Silence of the Lahms during the tournament.

What’s the Qatar team like? Is it made up of journeymen South Americans?

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1907 on: August 18, 2022, 12:45:53 pm »

I guess it’s one way to tackle any hooliganism, obviously water canons aren’t enough of a deterrent ;D

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1908 on: August 22, 2022, 09:28:13 am »

'Qatar Detains Workers Protesting Late Pay Before World Cup':-

Qatar recently arrested at least 60 foreign workers who protested going months without pay and deported some of them, an advocacy group said, just three months before Doha hosts the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-22/qatar-detains-workers-protesting-late-pay-before-world-cup

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1909 on: August 22, 2022, 02:47:25 pm »
Qatar detains dozens of workers who protested over late pay as World Cup approaches https://jrnl.ie/5846144

c*nts.  The whole tournament should be boycotted. 

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1910 on: August 22, 2022, 02:57:06 pm »
Absolutely disgusting they need to boycott this World Cup, the treatment of these workers has been obscene from the start. It’s obvious FIFA won’t do the decent thing maybe the countries themselves should.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1911 on: September 12, 2022, 09:40:29 pm »
Ecuador could be kicked out of the world cup over use of an ineligible player, but FIFA rejected Chile claim, but Chile have appealed the decision, & seems like new evidence has come to light, that could mean Ecuador being kicked out of the world cup.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2022/09/12/ecuadors-world-cup-place-in-question-after-new-evidence-revealed/
#Sausages

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1912 on: September 12, 2022, 09:55:20 pm »
Can their laser guided weapons lock on to anyone wearing rainbow laces in their shoes?

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1913 on: September 12, 2022, 09:57:52 pm »
This fucking abomination should be null&voided and a monument built for the victims.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1914 on: September 13, 2022, 02:15:01 pm »
“Long lines and lack of water mar Qatar World Cup stadium trial”

Some of the problems:
- no more water inside or outside the stadium after the first half
- “state of the art” cooling system not working/not providing any cooling effect
- ambulances not knowing where to park
- long lines before and after the match (these were sober match goers. Imagine if half of them were drunk)

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/long-lines-lack-water-mar-qatar-world-cup-stadium-trial-2022-09-12/

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #1915 on: September 13, 2022, 03:14:06 pm »
“Long lines and lack of water mar Qatar World Cup stadium trial”

Some of the problems:
- no more water inside or outside the stadium after the first half
- “state of the art” cooling system not working/not providing any cooling effect
- ambulances not knowing where to park
- long lines before and after the match (these were sober match goers. Imagine if half of them were drunk)

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/long-lines-lack-water-mar-qatar-world-cup-stadium-trial-2022-09-12/
It's going to be such a shit fest isn't it? But I guess its what FIFA deserve for giving them the World Cup in the first place.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1916 on: September 13, 2022, 03:58:24 pm »
You always get stories like that, I remember the Brazil World Cup and how they might not be ready to host it and who can step in.

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1917 on: September 13, 2022, 05:19:03 pm »
It's going to be such a shit fest isn't it? But I guess its what FIFA deserve for giving them the World Cup in the first place.
I hope it is one big cluster fuck of a shit show from start to finish. That World Cup is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with the direction the game is going in.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1918 on: September 13, 2022, 07:32:48 pm »
The Brazil stories were more about a lack of hotel rooms and domestic transport limitations, not a complete lack of water and the cooling system the tournament’s viability hinges upon not working. This is on top of the fact that some of the stadiums aren’t even finished and some of them don’t even have pavements and road systems around them yet, 2 months from the start.

I hope this is the biggest embarrassment in World Cup history in terms of staging. I will actively be hoping for disasters (within the realms that no one gets hurt or seriously ripped off etc, more embarrassing moments for the Qataris and FIFA) that show the world what this tournament really is.

They’ve started to charter cruise ships from other countries to act as floating hotels to sit in the gulf as they haven’t enough room or infrastructure to deal with the amount of people coming to the country. There’s also the issue that way more people have booked flights into the country than there are available seats at games, make of that what you will.

Disgrace from start to finish. I won’t be watching a second of it but I do hope it comes figuratively crashing down and a light is shone on the human toll this has taken to build.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #1919 on: September 13, 2022, 08:50:28 pm »
^ so strongly agree with all of this
Believer