Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 339133 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: The 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #1200 on: June 16, 2016, 08:02:19 pm »
My missus does not like to be called tubby, never knew that until now.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1201 on: June 16, 2016, 09:00:21 pm »
Why, what did your eight year old do to it?
;D
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1202 on: June 16, 2016, 09:13:31 pm »
My missus does not like to be called tubby, never knew that until now.

Although funnily enough she does like to be called by tubby moat evenings.  I'd keep an eye on him Sarge.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1203 on: June 16, 2016, 09:14:33 pm »
Although funnily enough she does like to be called by tubby moat evenings.  I'd keep an eye on him Sarge.
Is she related to Raul?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #1204 on: June 17, 2016, 11:37:38 am »
That thing about the arrow and the fuel cap is bullshit. Mine points to the right side but its actually on the left.

Think your car might be a "cut n shut"?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: June 17, 2016, 12:37:07 pm »
The Young Ones

do I win 5 pounds
No, you owe us 5 quid for jumping in and not making a comment 'suggesting' youget it.
Ploppy pants

Fact: Crab sticks do not actually contain any crab.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1206 on: June 17, 2016, 02:20:01 pm »
Sadly not that posh ;D

Always wanted one of these bad boys when I was kid:

I've got the silver model at home

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: June 17, 2016, 09:34:48 pm »
Used to have the black one in my first flat...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1208 on: June 17, 2016, 09:38:56 pm »
I've got the silver model at home

Mrs Ziltoid?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: June 18, 2016, 08:31:57 am »
I always thought Katanga was a name made up by Lenny Henry, found out this morning that it was a province of Congo.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1210 on: June 19, 2016, 12:41:11 am »
Cristiano Ronaldo has taken 36 free kicks at major tournaments and hasn't scored one.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: June 19, 2016, 02:18:26 am »
Cristiano Ronaldo has taken 36 free kicks at major tournaments and hasn't scored one.

Now you're just being a horrendous human being Alan  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1212 on: June 19, 2016, 09:43:22 am »
That thing about the arrow and the fuel cap is bullshit. Mine points to the right side but its actually on the left.

Mine doesn't even have an arrow.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: June 19, 2016, 09:45:40 am »
Mine doesn't even have an arrow.

I don't even have a car
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1214 on: June 19, 2016, 11:48:29 am »
The Daily Mail was specifically created to introduce a 'Daily Hate' to the middle/Middle-upper classes to turn them against the Working Classes.

It is part of this that led to Private Eye calling them the 'Daily Hate Mail'
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #1215 on: June 19, 2016, 12:50:02 pm »

This makes me almost as happy as when he missed that spotter.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #1216 on: June 19, 2016, 01:50:24 pm »
The ER on Postboxes stands for 'Elizabeth Reigns' which is why you see GR on some. It's something I've never given any thought, but thought it was a nice little fun fact when someone pointed it out last week. I even saw a VR last week too.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: June 19, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »
The ER on Postboxes stands for 'Elizabeth Reigns' which is why you see GR on some. It's something I've never given any thought, but thought it was a nice little fun fact when someone pointed it out last week. I even saw a VR last week too.

I think it's Elizabeth Regina and George Rex and Victoria Regina. Regina is the latin for Queen and Rex is latin for king.

Online spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: June 19, 2016, 02:37:08 pm »
the word piss is from Old French pissier "urinate"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1219 on: June 19, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »
I think it's Elizabeth Regina and George Rex and Victoria Regina. Regina is the latin for Queen and Rex is latin for king.

Is correct. Coins have 'DEI GRA REG' which stands for 'Dei Gratia Regina' which in turn is latin for 'by the grace of God - Queen'. Old coins when a king was monarch had REX instead of REG. On smaller coins it might be contracted to D G REG.

FID DEF stands for Fidei Defensor. Latin for 'Defender of the Faith' the title that Henry VIII took on when he established the Church of England.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: June 19, 2016, 03:24:43 pm »
And the patterns on the back of UK coins make up the coat of arms:

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: June 19, 2016, 03:51:05 pm »
And the patterns on the back of UK coins make up the coat of arms:

I only found that out last month while nosing about on facebook
Jurgen YNWA

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1222 on: June 19, 2016, 05:38:33 pm »
I didn't know until last night that the universal distress word "Mayday" comes from the English butchering of the French call for help "m'aider"...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1223 on: June 19, 2016, 07:12:25 pm »
I didn't know until last night that the universal distress word "Mayday" comes from the English butchering of the French call for help "m'aider"...
I have just found out you don't watch enough Red Dwarf

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: June 19, 2016, 09:32:09 pm »
Is correct. Coins have 'DEI GRA REG' which stands for 'Dei Gratia Regina' which in turn is latin for 'by the grace of God - Queen'. Old coins when a king was monarch had REX instead of REG. On smaller coins it might be contracted to D G REG.

FID DEF stands for Fidei Defensor. Latin for 'Defender of the Faith' the title that Henry VIII took on when he established the Church of England.

Close, but it's actually more ironic than that. Henry VIII was given the title of "fid Def" by the Pope, Leo X, after Henry wrote a book,   assertio septem sacramentorum, in which he asserted the sanctity of marriage and the supremacy of the Pope's authority. Henry somewhat famously changed his stance on both subjects but retained the title as he felt it leant weight to his role as head of his own new Church.
Henry was excommunicated and the title was formally rescinded by Pope Paul III, but an Act of Parliament restored the appellation and it remains to this day.

Prince Charles has confirmed that he would instead adopt the title "Defender of Faiths" and promote freedom of worship, when he acedes the throne.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1225 on: June 20, 2016, 12:56:03 pm »
I just learned that despite my love of coins and Latin, I am still late to this thread and that Alan_X and Painfully Shy Guseppie can fill such a knowledge void when I am not around.

:wave
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #1226 on: June 20, 2016, 02:48:35 pm »
Interesting that re: coins, latin and post boxes.
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: June 20, 2016, 03:08:41 pm »
Close, but it's actually more ironic than that. Henry VIII was given the title of "fid Def" by the Pope, Leo X, after Henry wrote a book,   assertio septem sacramentorum, in which he asserted the sanctity of marriage and the supremacy of the Pope's authority. Henry somewhat famously changed his stance on both subjects but retained the title as he felt it leant weight to his role as head of his own new Church.
Henry was excommunicated and the title was formally rescinded by Pope Paul III, but an Act of Parliament restored the appellation and it remains to this day.

Prince Charles has confirmed that he would instead adopt the title "Defender of Faiths" and promote freedom of worship, when he acedes the throne.

You're right of course.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #1228 on: June 20, 2016, 03:10:17 pm »
You're right of course.

Well about from it should be "if" not "when he acedes the throne."

Oh, and the double c in accede.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: June 20, 2016, 03:20:45 pm »
Well about from it should be "if" not "when he acedes the throne."

Oh, and the double c in accede.

Both valid points.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #1230 on: June 20, 2016, 03:37:14 pm »
I don't even have a car
But do you have an arrow?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1231 on: July 13, 2016, 01:25:57 pm »
Steve Coogan's older brother:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sGSHIidlesQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sGSHIidlesQ</a>

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: July 13, 2016, 07:46:31 pm »
Steve Coogan's older brother:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sGSHIidlesQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sGSHIidlesQ</a>
Well I never knew that...

But now you've ruined me, because I've remembered just how much I love that song.  Greatest one hit wonders ever?
W

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #1233 on: July 13, 2016, 10:11:31 pm »
Well I never knew that...

But now you've ruined me, because I've remembered just how much I love that song.  Greatest one hit wonders ever?

Only one way to find out: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=278612.msg14786782#msg14786782

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1234 on: July 31, 2016, 08:27:59 pm »
Not a subject that we want a wide discussion about but since not many of you will know, Tesco Allerton Staff have voted not to stock the Scum and won't be accepting any further deliveries of the fucking rag.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: August 1, 2016, 12:03:26 am »
Not a subject that we want a wide discussion about but since not many of you will know, Tesco Allerton Staff have voted not to stock the Scum and won't be accepting any further deliveries of the fucking rag.

Good for them. It's more Daily Mail country round there, though. Get people to stop reading that shite, too and who knows what might happen...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Wombat

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1236 on: August 1, 2016, 01:54:55 am »
There are more than 1 million camels here in Australia

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #1237 on: August 1, 2016, 02:00:19 am »
Well I never knew that there were people from the UK that didn't know what D.G. and either Regina or Rex meant.
Or maybe that's just me trying to justify having taken 2 years of Latin.

Also that there were people from the UK who didn't know about the current coin set making up the coat of arms.
Granted, that's a more recent thing.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1238 on: August 1, 2016, 11:17:26 am »
Or that the front of all British coinage is actually the Monarchs head

Most people assume the monarchs head is the back of the coin.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: August 1, 2016, 11:23:49 am »
Well I never knew that there were people from the UK that didn't know what D.G. and either Regina or Rex meant.
Or maybe that's just me trying to justify having taken 2 years of Latin.

Also that there were people from the UK who didn't know about the current coin set making up the coat of arms.
Granted, that's a more recent thing.

When I went to school, only Catholic schools still taught latin, so for a lot of us Latin just passed us by. Only bit I did was telling my blue nose mates that Nil Satis Nisi Optimum meant No Status, No Optimism.

As for the coins, only found that out on facebook the other month.

One thing I only found out recently was why the days get longer and shorter. I'd always had the idea, don't know where from, that the earth rocked on its axis due to the planet colliding with us billions of years ago. Now know the earth doesn't rock, its the tilt and our position in relation to the sun that gives the longer and shorter days.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2016, 11:26:31 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA