Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349443 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #4720 on: May 28, 2017, 12:06:44 pm »
Last nights pretty good as well. Is it me or has Capaldi decided that since he's off, the might as well channel his inner Tom Baker?

He sounds exactly like Tom did in the 80s to me! :D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4721 on: May 28, 2017, 10:28:02 pm »
Been watching the late Tennant/early Smith episodes on Netflix at the same time as this.

It's not even the same show. Hard to put much blame on Capaldi, but this is fucking dire in comparison.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4722 on: May 29, 2017, 11:25:04 am »
Shocking episode that.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4723 on: May 29, 2017, 11:34:46 am »
Been watching the late Tennant/early Smith episodes on Netflix at the same time as this.

It's not even the same show. Hard to put much blame on Capaldi, but this is fucking dire in comparison.

It was definitely at it's peak during the second half of series 3 and all of series 4 with Donna.
Matt Smith's tenure wasn't quite as consistent, but definitely had the closest friendship with Amy than any Doctor had with a companion since Romana II.

I still detest Clara.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4724 on: May 29, 2017, 01:03:15 pm »

I still detest Clara.

I honestly blame the series' decline on her and Moffat's obsession with making her the most important companion ever.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4725 on: May 29, 2017, 08:50:29 pm »
I honestly blame the series' decline on her and Moffat's obsession with making her the most important companion ever.
Ditto.

It's not even as if she's a great actress.
I know Dr Who is hardly renowned for the thespian arts but she really was a one trick pony.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4726 on: May 29, 2017, 11:42:43 pm »
Ditto.

It's not even as if she's a great actress.
I know Dr Who is hardly renowned for the thespian arts but she really was a one trick pony.

I think with her gone you've seen the shackles come off Capaldi.  After two fecking seasons of Clara he's finally able to take centre stage in his own TV show.  Criminal waste of a superb actor imo.

But from what I've seen on FB the show seems set for another five years at least, so maybe it can still recover.

Popcorn's Art

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4727 on: June 3, 2017, 10:26:31 pm »
I love the new political Dr Who.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4728 on: June 4, 2017, 12:20:14 am »
If Missy wasn't the Master I'd like her.
But she is so I don't.

The end tonight was just a taste of the emotional bollocks that'll happen if there's a female doctor.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4729 on: June 4, 2017, 02:29:21 am »
After a promising start, this three episode mini-arc has been utter fucking garbage.

No wonder Capaldi is fleeing.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4730 on: June 4, 2017, 11:04:17 am »
Couldn't quite get fully into it but did enjoy that episode, felt ending was mishandled though

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4731 on: June 7, 2017, 11:06:58 pm »
Couldn't quite get fully into it but did enjoy that episode, felt ending was mishandled though
Yep, I enjoy a story being given a few episodes. The idea was decent but some elements of it were rather poor.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4732 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:50 am »
That was a nice, fun but not memorable episode, went along nicely, enjoyed most of the characters, fun adventure

Spoiler
Nice to see the soldiers portrayed as very human characters, liked the Colonel. I assume the Missy thing will pay off inn long run becuase otherwise her brief appearance felt irrelevant for the episode
[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4733 on: June 11, 2017, 09:16:48 am »
Wasn't bad. Not great, but nice to see they've dipped into the trove of old Enemies.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4734 on: June 11, 2017, 09:18:59 am »
That was a nice, fun but not memorable episode, went along nicely, enjoyed most of the characters, fun adventure

Spoiler
Nice to see the soldiers portrayed as very human characters, liked the Colonel. I assume the Missy thing will pay off inn long run becuase otherwise her brief appearance felt irrelevant for the episode
[close]

Spoiler

I think the Master turning up in the Tardis is showing that maybe the Doc could bring him along on the next adventure. He's showing he can be trusted and going against Character.

But then again, the Master spends so long pissing people about that it could just be another one of his jolly japes before he stabs everyone in the back. It's very much in his nature.

"A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so."

[close]

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #4735 on: June 11, 2017, 11:51:19 pm »
Spoiler

I think the Master turning up in the Tardis is showing that maybe the Doc could bring him along on the next adventure. He's showing he can be trusted and going against Character.

But then again, the Master spends so long pissing people about that it could just be another one of his jolly japes before he stabs everyone in the back. It's very much in his nature.

"A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so."

[close]

Spoiler
The Master double-crossing the Doctor is the obvious thing, we know how Moffat likes to turn things on their head before flipping back. My guess would be Doctor faces death, Missy saves his life at the expense of her own, regeneration, John Simm back, reset Master to twat mode. Or Nardole turns out to be the real Master. Or something.
[close]
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4736 on: June 12, 2017, 11:23:45 am »
Spoiler

[close]

Agree with that

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4737 on: June 17, 2017, 11:56:46 pm »
Not bad, liked the young Scottish girl.
That was also the perfect episode for a McCrimmon clan reference.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4738 on: June 19, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »
That was fine, faded a little near the end but a decent adventure, Bill remains a breath of fresh air
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:31:40 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4739 on: June 20, 2017, 06:32:27 pm »
That was fine, faded a little near the end but a decent adventure, Bill remains a breath of fresh air

She has some excellent OTT facial expressions.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4740 on: June 24, 2017, 08:47:48 pm »
Wow, that was dark.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4741 on: June 24, 2017, 11:32:21 pm »
Thought it was a bit slow and duff mostly and..

Spoiler

... the very, very obvious bit about the time dilation was laboured to death..

.. But... wow.. the Master popping up... and then the old-style Cyberman...

So a proper cliffhanger at the end.. But if he's the Master why can't she remember being there..?

[close]

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4742 on: June 24, 2017, 11:40:37 pm »
Thought the bit with the people saying "pain" and "kill me" only to have the volume turned down was quite intense for Doctor Who, will be some terrified kids.

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4743 on: June 24, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »
Not bad.
Not bad at all.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4744 on: June 25, 2017, 01:07:03 pm »
Mixed views. Missy didn't click for me or generally the Doctor's section
Spoiler
bar his chat about Missy
[close]
of the episode and start was slow, dragged whenever with team doctor. I did however gradually got drawn into the "bottom half" with the amusing Razor, the general creepiness they went with (like Jersey mentioned). I wonder if ending could have been better
Spoiler
revealed it's hand too much with past trailers for me, it lacked surprise
[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4745 on: June 25, 2017, 01:37:21 pm »
Mixed views. Missy didn't click for me or generally the Doctor's section
Spoiler
bar his chat about Missy
[close]
of the episode and start was slow, dragged whenever with team doctor. I did however gradually got drawn into the "bottom half" with the amusing Razor, the general creepiness they went with (like Jersey mentioned). I wonder if ending could have been better
Spoiler
revealed it's hand too much with past trailers for me, it lacked surprise
[close]

If you want surprises, don't watch trailers. I don't watch them for anything**

** Ok, I lied a bit, I watched the trailers for Alien: Prometheus and Covenant***

*** But only cos the trailers have plot included that didn't make it to the film.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4746 on: June 25, 2017, 04:01:45 pm »
Enjoyed that. As ever, though, with these two (or more)-parters I expect to be disappointed next week. I can't remember the last one that truly delivered. Probably Human Nature/Family of Blood in the Tennant days and those were adapted from non-canon books (Paul Cornell?).

On a side note, am I the only one to remember "Yes. Time dilation, I thought. In an amazingly confined space. You're a mind-reader, Kryton" ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:04:20 pm by reniformis »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4747 on: June 25, 2017, 07:24:21 pm »
Really good, and it managed it whilst ticking a lot of boxes with references to classic Who, and musings on Time Lord/Lady society that seemed aimed at internet commenters. It was strange that after a strong start Missy became quite subdued for about 20 minutes until the went to the bottom. I'm skeptical it'll maintain the quality next week, especially with that trailer, but you never know.

But it is annoying just how much of that was spoiled, even just in last week's 'next time' bit. I've seen one theory that they're hiding some huge surprise (like a new Doctor debut) in the buzz about spoilers.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4748 on: June 26, 2017, 12:34:19 pm »
I never copped it was Simm playing the hospital guy until just before the big reveal. It might have worked even better if the Beeb didn't spoil flipping everything in the trailers.

Michelle Gomez is so great. 'I am Doctor Who - and here are my disposables, Comic Relief and Exposition'.

That was a well done (for a change) science fiction bit with the time dilation at one end of the spaceship too. God I hope they stick the landing next week.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4749 on: June 26, 2017, 01:06:38 pm »
Anyone know why Missy didn't recognise her past self or even remember living that life in the spaceship?

Well, everyone's assuming that Missy is the future Master. That doesn't necessarily need to be true. Maybe Missy is the Master's River Song, living through time in the opposite direction. The dialogue between the two would still make sense.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4750 on: June 26, 2017, 01:17:15 pm »
Well, everyone's assuming that Missy is the future Master. That doesn't necessarily need to be true. Maybe Missy is the Master's River Song, living through time in the opposite direction. The dialogue between the two would still make sense.

Has it not been explicitly stated that Missy is the Master several times.

Missy not remembering is the same continuity error that affects all of the multiple doctors serials. Cue hand wavy explanation about Time asserting itself to avoid a paradox.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4751 on: June 26, 2017, 01:17:37 pm »

But wouldn't that meant The Doctor doesn't know who Missy actually is then?  Not convinced.

Also, fuck River Song.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4752 on: June 26, 2017, 02:21:55 pm »
Has it not been explicitly stated that Missy is the Master several times.

Missy not remembering is the same continuity error that affects all of the multiple doctors serials. Cue hand wavy explanation about Time asserting itself to avoid a paradox.

Probably.

Although the Doctor always remembers his past selves but not his future ones. That's where the banter between the Doctors always comes from. That time lord logic would suggest that the Simm's Master is a future incarnation of Missy? Or it's a River Song-type thing going on? Something's amiss.

Also suspicious of that Master line about the Doctor never forgiving her when he finds out what she did to his 'little friend'. That could refer to what her previous incarnation has just done to Bill or what Missy has done to his older 'little friend', the Master himself.

My head hurts.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4753 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:26 pm »
Very good. Loved the old school Cybermen.

The title is from Andrew Marvell's poem 'To His Coy Mistress'. It may just be a good title but the poem is about seizing the moment:

Had we but world enough and time,
This coyness, lady, were no crime.
We would sit down, and think which way
To walk, and pass our long love’s day.
Thou by the Indian Ganges’ side
Shouldst rubies find; I by the tide
Of Humber would complain. I would
Love you ten years before the flood,
And you should, if you please, refuse
Till the conversion of the Jews.
My vegetable love should grow
Vaster than empires and more slow;
An hundred years should go to praise
Thine eyes, and on thy forehead gaze;
Two hundred to adore each breast,
But thirty thousand to the rest;
An age at least to every part,
And the last age should show your heart.
For, lady, you deserve this state,
Nor would I love at lower rate.

But at my back I always hear
Time’s wingèd chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.
Thy beauty shall no more be found;
Nor, in thy marble vault, shall sound
My echoing song; then worms shall try
That long-preserved virginity,
And your quaint honour turn to dust,
And into ashes all my lust;
The grave’s a fine and private place,
But none, I think, do there embrace.

Now therefore, while the youthful hue
Sits on thy skin like morning dew,
And while thy willing soul transpires
At every pore with instant fires,
Now let us sport us while we may,
And now, like amorous birds of prey,
Rather at once our time devour
Than languish in his slow-chapped power.
Let us roll all our strength and all
Our sweetness up into one ball,
And tear our pleasures with rough strife
Through the iron gates of life:
Thus, though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4754 on: June 26, 2017, 09:21:00 pm »
Remember that from GCSE English. One of the better ones in the anthology along with the classic John Cooper Clarke "Let me be your vacuum cleaner."

Anyone think the new Doctor will be revealed next week?

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4755 on: June 26, 2017, 09:28:29 pm »
I reckon so and with Michelle Gomez leaving too, a possible double regeneration. Moffat's already mentioned about it being a more complicated regeneration process, so is there any way of them both regenning at the same time and regeneration energy being mixed up?

Did we ever get simultaneous regens in any old Who?
AHA!

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4756 on: June 27, 2017, 08:47:25 am »
Did we ever get simultaneous regens in any old Who?

Not that I recall. I might be wrong, but the Master didn't regenerate onscreen until the Jacobi/Simm episode, the Monk or the Rani didn't regenerate at all, and Romana regenerated once but only travelled with Tom Baker, so unless there's some Gallifrey-centric episode I'm not remembering then I'd say not.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4757 on: June 27, 2017, 07:11:03 pm »
Not that I recall. I might be wrong, but the Master didn't regenerate onscreen until the Jacobi/Simm episode, the Monk or the Rani didn't regenerate at all, and Romana regenerated once but only travelled with Tom Baker, so unless there's some Gallifrey-centric episode I'm not remembering then I'd say not.

The Master took over the body of Tremas at the end of The Keeper of Traken, although it wasn't so much regeneration as assimilation.  The Doctor regenerated at the end of the next serial Logopolis.  That's as close as we've come.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Re: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**
« Reply #4758 on: June 27, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »
I caught a tiny bit of the review on the radio saying it was a good episode and how good Bill is. Personally I find missy far more engaging. Nardole seems pointless.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**
« Reply #4759 on: June 28, 2017, 06:22:55 am »
I'm surprised they haven't brought captain Jack back yet for a few episodes.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.