Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 88017 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #440 on: July 4, 2016, 04:28:26 pm »
Oh God never! I loooooooooooooved my A500 and 1200....Still on the lookout now for them :)

I've still got my A1200 :)

(Accelerated with extra memory and a SDHC Harddrive :) )
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #441 on: July 28, 2016, 10:36:17 pm »
Just back from Star Trek Beyond (always hear the voice of Suggs whenever I see that written down...) and I enjoyed it a lot, but I think it will disappoint some of the more traditional Trekkies in a similar way to the last two.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #442 on: July 28, 2016, 11:04:24 pm »
Thought it a bit hyper and over loaded with effects. Little plot development.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #443 on: August 12, 2016, 04:12:31 pm »
Details on Star Trek: Discovery

It's in the Prime Universe.
It's set ten years before TOS.
The season-long storyline revolves around "an incident and an event in Star Trek history that’s been talked about but never been explored." The event was mention in TOS.
It's to be filmed at Pinewood between September - March.
It's debut is in January. In the UK and most of the world it will be on Netflix.
The lead character is human female, a Lt. Commander, "with caveats".
There will be more aliens on the crew than there usually are.
There will be a gay crew member.
The Reg Number is NCC-1301, which is significant for some reason.

This teaser shows the ship

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cxba2WjlN90" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cxba2WjlN90</a>

While it's not the final design, it's probably close as the design is based on a Ralph McQuarrie concept art for the unproduced Star Trek: Planet of the Titans:

It's heavily suggested that Spock's mother, Amanda Grayson, will be in this.
The opening scene is not on a planet.

I got this from various places, but this is the main one if you want to read a bit more.

http://tvline.com/2016/08/10/star-trek-discovery-amanda-grayson-spoilers-cast/

I'm not keen on the ship design, but if the characters and story are strong I probably won't care.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: August 12, 2016, 11:12:03 pm »
Shit ship design, and not madly keen on anything before the original series (Enterprise sort of showed how that doesn't work as it's so massively constrained by what comes after). That said, glad to see stuff back in the Prime timeline - and the fact they're doing no more than one series on each strand is a potential positive.

(Also - nerd style, would be interesting to see to what extent Enterprise is considered part of the "prime" timeline for the purposes of this show...).

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2016, 02:52:54 pm »
Wouldn't all of Enterprise be in Prime as the split happened afterward?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2016, 03:53:20 am »
Wouldn't all of Enterprise be in Prime as the split happened afterward?

Sure. But all canon is in the prime universe (bar some time travelling stuff) apart from the new films. Or am I missing something?
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2016, 05:53:28 am »
Sure. But all canon is in the prime universe (bar some time travelling stuff) apart from the new films. Or am I missing something?
no I think that's right.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: August 27, 2016, 08:08:53 pm »
Re-watched Enterprise for the first time since it was first one (hated it first time round).

It has a LOT of bad episodes in there, don't get me wrong. But some of the stuff in there is absolutely top notch. The series where they go into the expanse to stop earth being destroyed is one hell of a story arc for the pre-Netflix generation! Looking forward to the new series now.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: September 8, 2016, 05:15:47 pm »
50th anniversary today
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: September 8, 2016, 05:59:05 pm »
Been watching a few TNG episodes on Netflix the last few days.  One or two of the episodes nearly made me cry....and, for a change, not because of Troi's acting.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: September 8, 2016, 06:10:47 pm »
Been watching a few TNG episodes on Netflix the last few days.  One or two of the episodes nearly made me cry....and, for a change, not because of Troi's acting.

I'd seen large parts of TNG and Voyager years ago so started DS9 from the beginning and it's been great so far.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #452 on: September 8, 2016, 06:12:24 pm »
Watched TNG multiple times, there's really some fantastic episodes in it. Still my favorite of the Star Trek series.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: September 8, 2016, 06:14:12 pm »
I'd seen large parts of TNG and Voyager years ago so started DS9 from the beginning and it's been great so far.

Was never able to get into that one. Boldly not going anywhere at all, arguing with a ferenghi about his coffee shop, bloke who sleeps in a bucket, can't remember much else.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #454 on: September 8, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »
Was never able to get into that one. Boldly not going anywhere at all, arguing with a ferenghi about his coffee shop, bloke who sleeps in a bucket, can't remember much else.

Kids running around a space station near a worm hole, yeah not for me either thanks.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: September 8, 2016, 06:48:34 pm »

If you skip most of the first four series bar a few episodes, it's pretty much flawless from mid season 5 onwards. The Dominion War arc is stunning television.

Mad to think a show that got cancelled 47 years ago has had such an incredible cultural impact.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: September 8, 2016, 10:30:17 pm »
If you skip most of the first four series bar a few episodes, it's pretty much flawless from mid season 5 onwards. The Dominion War arc is stunning television.

Yeah, never got that far.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #457 on: September 8, 2016, 10:46:17 pm »

I bet one of those was The Inner Light.  Patrick Stewart's finest episode.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: September 9, 2016, 01:26:48 am »
TNG is my favourite television series ever. That's not to say it's the best. But there is a lot of nostalgia mixed in, the sort of thing I doubt I can have for any show in the future.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: September 9, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »

Not got that far yet...but I'm guessing it will get me in the feels as it always has done before.  The episode after Best Of Both Worlds where Picard goes back home definitely got me.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: September 9, 2016, 03:06:54 pm »
Yeah, never got that far.

It is worth persevering with, it starts out a bit weak, but there is an argument to be made that it was the best Trek series of that era.

Re-watched Enterprise for the first time since it was first one (hated it first time round).

It has a LOT of bad episodes in there, don't get me wrong. But some of the stuff in there is absolutely top notch. The series where they go into the expanse to stop earth being destroyed is one hell of a story arc for the pre-Netflix generation! Looking forward to the new series now.

That was the only one of the shows I didn't rewatch fairly recently, I don't really remember it that well, but I sort of remember thinking it was really bad, should I give it another try you reckon?
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 03:08:48 pm by Skeeve »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #461 on: September 9, 2016, 04:09:21 pm »
It is worth persevering with, it starts out a bit weak, but there is an argument to be made that it was the best Trek series of that era.

Might try diving into season five or something. Started watching TNG from the start a while ago. Some episodes of that I haven't seen since they were first broadcast, and there's probably a few I've missed altogether, especially in the later seasons, so if and when I get through all that, it might be a good thing to pick up.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #462 on: September 9, 2016, 04:11:37 pm »
Loved TNG, Voyager and DS9 - totally agree on the Dominion War being great TV.

Couldn't get into Enterprise at all, tried it a few times.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: September 9, 2016, 05:20:02 pm »
Might try diving into season five or something. Started watching TNG from the start a while ago. Some episodes of that I haven't seen since they were first broadcast, and there's probably a few I've missed altogether, especially in the later seasons, so if and when I get through all that, it might be a good thing to pick up.

Knew I had seen something along these lines before, here's a suggested list for a condensed viewing of DS9:

http://www.geek.com/news/star-trek-deep-space-nine-condensed-how-to-watch-the-most-story-driven-trek-1613741/

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: September 9, 2016, 05:45:16 pm »
Knew I had seen something along these lines before, here's a suggested list for a condensed viewing of DS9:

http://www.geek.com/news/star-trek-deep-space-nine-condensed-how-to-watch-the-most-story-driven-trek-1613741/

Thanks for that!
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: September 9, 2016, 05:47:38 pm »

Brilliant. I don't know if I could slog my way through DS9 again, but that looks ideal.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: September 9, 2016, 06:55:08 pm »
Seasons 5 and 6 of DS9 are incredible, it's worth watching every episode of those two in my opinion. 4 and 7 both have great moments too (I always really loved "The Visitor", I found it really moving). Can't really remember much of the first three series though.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 06:59:35 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #467 on: September 14, 2016, 09:38:51 am »
Watched TNG multiple times, there's really some fantastic episodes in it. Still my favorite of the Star Trek series.

I grew up on TNG. Sky One 5pm 5 days a week. My old man loved it. Turned me into a Trekkie almost by force.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:24 pm »
I grew up on TNG. Sky One 5pm 5 days a week. My old man loved it. Turned me into a Trekkie almost by force.

For those a bit older, it would be 6pm on BBC2 for shows like that.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: September 14, 2016, 01:45:00 pm »
For those a bit older, it would be 6pm on BBC2 for shows like that.

Yes, remember the excitement when the first episode of TNG went out on BBC2. Front cover of the Radio Times and everything. There was nothing like it on tv at the time.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2016, 01:57:27 pm »

Probably my favourite Star Trek episode of any version

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2016, 07:19:40 pm »
Have both TNG and Voyager on series link from syfy channel, TNG is actually in HD. Could never get into DS9, might have to just get on with it as the posts above indicate it's good on the later seasons
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #472 on: September 15, 2016, 08:21:07 am »
Star Trek: Discovery launch pushed back to May from January.  From Brian Fuller:
Bringing Star Trek back to television carries a responsibility and mission: to connect fans and newcomers alike to the series that has fed our imaginations since childhood. We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality. Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed: Star Trek deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #473 on: September 15, 2016, 09:53:47 am »
Have both TNG and Voyager on series link from syfy channel, TNG is actually in HD. Could never get into DS9, might have to just get on with it as the posts above indicate it's good on the later seasons
Get on DS9 asap.

It's my favorite Star Trek series and they are right the last few seasons are fantastic.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2016, 10:06:19 am »
watched the first episode of TOS last night - The Man Trap - good stuff and can also see where red dwarf got the polymorph idea from.

Made me chuckle whenever there was a close up on Shatner, they certainly used to like using the soft filter on him didn't they??

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #475 on: September 15, 2016, 10:48:47 am »
Shit ship design, and not madly keen on anything before the original series (Enterprise sort of showed how that doesn't work as it's so massively constrained by what comes after). That said, glad to see stuff back in the Prime timeline - and the fact they're doing no more than one series on each strand is a potential positive.

(Also - nerd style, would be interesting to see to what extent Enterprise is considered part of the "prime" timeline for the purposes of this show...).

Enterprise is in the Timeline.

In fact, I'm watching every episode of Star Trek ever made in Chronological order, starting from Enterprise, through to TOS then the TOS Films, then a mix of films, TNG, VOY and DS9 :)

I'm half way through TOS so far.

This is the order I'm following.

http://thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.co.uk/

I've just watched Episode # 131 from that list (Amok Time - Tos, Series 2, Episode 1) - so I've got quite a few to go yet :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:52:24 am by Andy ♥ Old Trafford »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: September 15, 2016, 10:53:01 pm »

Enterprise is in the Timeline.

It is indeed. I've watched it all the way through since I typed that. I'd forgotten that they effectively retconned the temporal cold war stuff when they killed off the aliens working with the Nazis.

Interesting watching Enterprise actually. I didn't like it at the time - but I feel it aged well. The final series had some absolute crackers in it - the format of two/three parters was great - and I thought Terra Nova was cracking television. And then they absolutely fucked it with that AWFUL Riker episode...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #477 on: September 16, 2016, 08:44:44 am »
It is indeed. I've watched it all the way through since I typed that. I'd forgotten that they effectively retconned the temporal cold war stuff when they killed off the aliens working with the Nazis.

Interesting watching Enterprise actually. I didn't like it at the time - but I feel it aged well. The final series had some absolute crackers in it - the format of two/three parters was great - and I thought Terra Nova was cracking television. And then they absolutely fucked it with that AWFUL Riker episode...

I'm not up to the TNG Episode (As I'm watching them in Chronological order

Spoiler

But I'm given to believe that the whole of Enterprise was a portrayal from a Holodeck or something??

[close]

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: September 16, 2016, 01:13:40 pm »
I'm not up to the TNG Episode (As I'm watching them in Chronological order

Spoiler

But I'm given to believe that the whole of Enterprise was a portrayal from a Holodeck or something??

[close]
Spoiler
Enterprise episode, not TNG
[close]

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #479 on: September 16, 2016, 02:21:22 pm »

DS9 Spoilers Below

DS9 gets really good with the War arc, forgot what series and the whole Dominion and Cardassians kicking up a fuss, I remember seeing an episode where there was a huge fleet battle of Starfleet ships VS Cardassians and Dominion and it was QUALITY

As for the new series, I mostly enjoyed Enterprise and I was a big fan of Voyager (probably my favourite) so we will see! I'm up for it! Not impressed with the ship though nor the timeline setting but always up for some ST