Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1405242 times)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #13640 on: February 2, 2024, 10:42:51 am »
Imagine being Trent and having to sit there thinking ‘where do I get back in this side?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13641 on: February 2, 2024, 10:50:13 pm »
So glad he's back, he'll be key regardless of how Klopp decides to use him on Sunday. 6 assists in the last 7 vs Arsenal I believe!

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #13642 on: February 2, 2024, 11:31:25 pm »
Imagine being Trent and having to sit there thinking ‘where do I get back in this side?
Imagine Being Us and having a squad so good that that’s possible
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Buster Gonad

• Kopite
« Reply #13643 on: February 2, 2024, 11:35:16 pm »
Might be best used as a sub on this occasion.  Then start him the next game. Arsenal away is a risk if he's not up to speed. Bradley is on fire and Dom. Mac and Jones is our best midfield to stop Arsenal playing.
Great having options.

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #13644 on: February 4, 2024, 06:24:20 pm »
Too soon for him to start, looked gassed from the start and very passive in attack
Klopp got that one wrong

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13645 on: February 4, 2024, 06:25:29 pm »
Too soon for him to start, looked gassed from the start and very passive in attack
Klopp got that one wrong

His hand was forced. Bradley would've started only for circumstances.

Offline Cozzymoto

• Main Stander
« Reply #13646 on: February 4, 2024, 06:32:57 pm »
The Trent experiment needs to stop. It's no different to how he was before Conor came in, except this time round he was lacking match fitness. Obviously not much we could have done today (condolences to Conor's family), but we do need a right back in the summer and shift Trent in the midfield.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13647 on: February 4, 2024, 06:33:40 pm »
The Trent experiment needs to stop. It's no different to how he was before Conor came in, except this time round he was lacking match fitness. Obviously not much we could have done today (condolences to Conor's family), but we do need a right back in the summer and shift Trent in the midfield.
Yep. TAA vs Martinelli is always quite painful to watch.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13648 on: February 4, 2024, 07:06:26 pm »
Whenever he is ready to be back, Connor should be ahead of TAA in terms of selection for the coming games.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13649 on: February 4, 2024, 07:07:25 pm »
Lacking match fitness or not there is a huge drop off in defensive stability when he plays v's Bradley or Gomez.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13650 on: February 4, 2024, 07:08:15 pm »
He was never great at defending. Going forward,  he didn't really have anything to hit with the likes of Darwin and Mo not playing.

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13651 on: February 4, 2024, 07:12:53 pm »
We have Bradley and gomez
We don't need a rb

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13652 on: February 4, 2024, 08:09:52 pm »
Looked like he was asked to the Bradley role today more then inverting. Understandable to not change the plan last second(tactically) also but also hard come back into a game like this lacking match sharpness and do a role you have not for like 10 months.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13653 on: February 4, 2024, 08:16:45 pm »
He was never great at defending. Going forward,  he didn't really have anything to hit with the likes of Darwin and Mo not playing.

He's adequate at defending - but he's certainly not switched on enough.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13654 on: February 4, 2024, 08:33:58 pm »
We have Bradley and gomez
We don't need a rb

Is right, we don't need to buy a right back
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #13655 on: February 4, 2024, 08:35:16 pm »
His hand was forced. Bradley would've started only for circumstances.
Yep, I'd imagine that would have been the case, it is what it is I guess.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13656 on: February 4, 2024, 09:49:47 pm »
He's adequate at defending - but he's certainly not switched on enough.

He used to be a better defender though. The idea that he was a poor defender was mostly a media construct until last season. Of course he wasn't ever perfect at that side of the game, but he did well enough from 2017-2022. All while offering Beckham-esque delivery from full back.

The more I look at Trent now, the more I just think he isn't arsed defending anymore. Like it's beneath him. Of course he's utterly brilliant at other things - his passing is second to none, and he's added a few goals this season too - but it's not enough that he can act like he doesn't need to win tackles anymore.

He used to be fabulous going both directions, but while he's had great moments this season, I'm not as crazy about him as a player as I was a few years back. He's still a magical talent, don't get me wrong, but I don't like his attitude all the time lately. There's arrogance om display. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's not.

I thought when the discussion of the Bradley news was going around that it was laughable the idea that him being out was a problem for us, but it ended up being that. I know Trent is still not totally match fit, but we really need him to get back in the game if we're still going to challenge for the league.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13657 on: February 4, 2024, 09:52:42 pm »
The thing is, even his conversion to midfield will require that he use a lot of his energy in defending and pressing. Otherwise, he'll never fulfill his potential. See De Bruyne, Bellingham etc. . But, for sure, the less time TAA spends in 1v1's against speedy wingers, the better.

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13658 on: February 4, 2024, 10:05:19 pm »
The thing is, even his conversion to midfield will require that he use a lot of his energy in defending and pressing. Otherwise, he'll never fulfill his potential. See De Bruyne, Bellingham etc. . But, for sure, the less time TAA spends in 1v1's against speedy wingers, the better.

It's genuinely not straightforward where he fits in the team right now. Szoboszlai is a better right sided number 8 in terms of all that he offers with attacking and work rate and pressing. We've arguably (barely arguably) looked a more balanced team with Bradley playing RB.

Of course Trent can also do things those others can't, and when a player is as gifted as Trent clearly is, you have to try to find a place for them. But I don't think it's straightforward where he works for us right now, especially in big games, against good opposition wingers.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13659 on: February 4, 2024, 11:12:47 pm »
I don’t know what has happened to him in a defensive sense but he’s getting absolutely murdered at points by attackers this season. It’s embarrassing how little he does to slow down attackers on occasion.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #13660 on: February 4, 2024, 11:22:08 pm »
It's genuinely not straightforward where he fits in the team right now. Szoboszlai is a better right sided number 8 in terms of all that he offers with attacking and work rate and pressing. We've arguably (barely arguably) looked a more balanced team with Bradley playing RB.

Of course Trent can also do things those others can't, and when a player is as gifted as Trent clearly is, you have to try to find a place for them. But I don't think it's straightforward where he works for us right now, especially in big games, against good opposition wingers.

Well said. The answer for me in that right sides 8 role. We overplayed Dom there in the first half of the season
so Trent should compete for that slot, over the number of games we have in league and cups. Trent probably wouldn't press as much or be as physical but his long-range passing is better. Let him be a playmaker from there, pulling wide at times and providing the bullets for Darwin and Jota.

I'd have Gomez or Bradley ahead of him as our right back. Klopp has limited games left to win this league again with us. He will have to soul-search because one or two more games where we are exposed out wide and we are done in the title race.

Fair enough, Trent was not fully fit today and our hand was obviously forced due to Conor Bradley's sad bereavement.

But Trent's performance is a trend not a one-off.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #13661 on: February 4, 2024, 11:37:58 pm »
Well said. The answer for me in that right sides 8 role. We overplayed Dom there in the first half of the season
so Trent should compete for that slot, over the number of games we have in league and cups. Trent probably wouldn't press as much or be as physical but his long-range passing is better. Let him be a playmaker from there, pulling wide at times and providing the bullets for Darwin and Jota.

I'd have Gomez or Bradley ahead of him as our right back. Klopp has limited games left to win this league again with us. He will have to soul-search because one or two more games where we are exposed out wide and we are done in the title race.

Fair enough, Trent was not fully fit today and our hand was obviously forced due to Conor Bradley's sad bereavement.

Can Szoboszlai play the left no8 role too. Could rotate with Curtis Jones there too maybe? Like Bradley or Gomez more at RB better defensively
« Last Edit: February 4, 2024, 11:40:19 pm by DiggerJohn »

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13662 on: February 4, 2024, 11:41:50 pm »

Asking him play like Szoboszlai means he not getting on the ball as much. He much better when he has space that is not in between the line. Szoboszlai legit puts comparable final 3rd number(In terms of Expected goals and Assist) to Trent why would want to rotate them.
He was playing the Stay wide/overlap role instead of Inverting likely because of a last lineup change which was very understandable.
You want Trent on the ball 100 times a game if possible.

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #13663 on: February 4, 2024, 11:49:45 pm »
Asking him play like Szoboszlai means he not getting on the ball as much. He much better when he has space that is not in between the line. Szoboszlai legit puts comparable final 3rd number(In terms of Expected goals and Assist) to Trent why would want to rotate them.
He was playing the Stay wide/overlap role instead of Inverting likely because of a last lineup change which was very understandable.
You want Trent on the ball 100 times a game if possible.

So where are you playing him RB out of possession and inverted in possession like we have been this season. Results have been good but we don't know what he would be like as an 8 Klopp doesn't play him there. Trent does play there  for England now but I hate international football only watch World cups and Euros. So don't know how he plays there

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13664 on: February 5, 2024, 12:57:59 am »
So where are you playing him RB out of possession and inverted in possession like we have been this season. Results have been good but we don't know what he would be like as an 8 Klopp doesn't play him there. Trent does play there  for England now but I hate international football only watch World cups and Euros. So don't know how he plays there
Yes. My best guess at 8 like Szoboszlai would look much like Enzo does right now not on the ball enough. He was not on the ball enough today either(mostly because it seems it was a last minute rb change for understandable reasons).
« Last Edit: February 5, 2024, 01:06:00 am by RedG13 »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #13665 on: February 5, 2024, 04:53:58 am »
Next season with the new manager, Trent’s position is going to come to head because I don’t see the manager using Trent at right back because it is an open invitation to attack our right hand side. Bradley has been a revelation at right back so I suspect Trent will be given another role in the team but I’m not sure where.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #13666 on: February 5, 2024, 05:11:05 am »
Next season with the new manager, Trent’s position is going to come to head because I don’t see the manager using Trent at right back because it is an open invitation to attack our right hand side. Bradley has been a revelation at right back so I suspect Trent will be given another role in the team but I’m not sure where.

Yeah, we looked so much more balanced with Conor maintaining width on the right hand side. Its a good problem to have though. Trent is always going to start, his qualities on the ball are just too ridiculous. If Darwin starts to be more clinical, I think a rotating box midfield of Trent, Macca, Curtis and Szobo is a possibility. If he can't be the spearhead figure and we need more end product from the wings, then that will be interesting to see.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13667 on: February 5, 2024, 05:14:28 am »
Yeah, we looked so much more balanced with Conor maintaining width on the right hand side. Its a good problem to have though. Trent is always going to start, his qualities on the ball are just too ridiculous. If Darwin starts to be more clinical, I think a rotating box midfield of Trent, Macca, Curtis and Szobo is a possibility. If he can't be the spearhead figure and we need more end product from the wings, then that will be interesting to see.

Alonso (if it’s him) plays a 3-4-3 in possession

Online MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13668 on: February 5, 2024, 07:01:22 am »
wingers going 1v1 its like coming up against a cone at times.
Trent displays a real lack of effort in his defending at times
Such a good player but not as an RB anymore

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13669 on: February 5, 2024, 07:24:08 am »
He’s not going to be an 8.
1)  He isn’t press resistant enough, he isn’t very good on the half turn. We saw an example of that yesterday where he was pressed by 2 players and gave it away. Compare him under pressure with Jones, it’s night and day.
2) he’s not energetic enough. Our 8s run all day, Trent doesn’t look capable of that the way he plays these days.
3) he’s best with the play in front of him, he’s a deep lying playmaker basically, not a between the lines player.

He could be a 6 but he’s not going to be better than Mac there so why bother. What he could be is what he used to be, which is a brilliant right back on the ball and a good defender off it. He should be adding strings to his bow as he peaks, instead he’s lost something in a defensive sense. Needs to get it back because otherwise he won’t be a regular starter for us IF (and it’s a big IF) Bradley’s form over the past month is going to be his standard.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13670 on: February 5, 2024, 07:43:25 am »
The serious lack of effort is worrying. I don’t mind losing by any score line, just show some effort! Not sure if it’s arrogance or if he just doesn’t have it in him, but if I’m Konate, I’d be telling him how I feel about his piss poor attitude towards defending.

He’s not on his own yesterday in the dreadful performance department but this is more than just yesterday.

Offline Topwings!

• Main Stander
« Reply #13671 on: February 5, 2024, 09:02:32 am »
Strange as it may seem, I have more confidence in any other rightbacks in the squad (Joe or Conor) than Trent in the first eleven.  It's especially a big worry against better attacking teams.   His defending just doesn't inspire confidence.  If we have the majority of possession and most of the play is in the opposition third, Trent is less of a liability, and his playmaking ability is an attribute.  How much so the latter aspect contributes is now up for debate with the emergence of Conor and also how the team got on very well without Trent in January.

Online lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13672 on: February 5, 2024, 09:03:56 am »
Can Szoboszlai play the left no8 role too. Could rotate with Curtis Jones there too maybe? Like Bradley or Gomez more at RB better defensively

Yeah I reckon he could, Dom.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #13673 on: February 5, 2024, 10:21:10 am »

Could be a variation on the 4-4-2. Certainly against the better opponents.

Have him and a more 'destroyer' type player next to him in central midfield.

Given the attacking qualities of players like Dom and Jones (and Elliot, Gravenberch), it would work only having 2 up front - Nunez on the inside left, Salah inside right.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13674 on: February 5, 2024, 01:06:06 pm »
He used to be a better defender though. The idea that he was a poor defender was mostly a media construct until last season. Of course he wasn't ever perfect at that side of the game, but he did well enough from 2017-2022. All while offering Beckham-esque delivery from full back.

Dom is a upgrade on hendo generally, but there is a trade off from the right hand side of this team to that of 2018 - 2021

Peak Hendo was a big help to trent both physically AND vocally IMO.  Trent is a lot more exposed and teams are exploiting this.

Online PEG2K

• Could be Stan Boardman. Hates the Germans.
  • Kopite
« Reply #13675 on: February 5, 2024, 02:39:28 pm »
Alonso (if it’s him) plays a 3-4-3 in possession
Trent could still be the wing back in Alonso's 343 system. He uses a playmaking LWB (Grimaldo) who tucks inside a lot and a marauding runner RWB (Frimpong). It's just the opposite for us.

That said, it doesn't mean Alonso (if it's him) would have to use 343. Managers adapt their formation based on his squad all the time. It's quite possible that he will convert Trent to a full time CM in a double pivot, like what Bayern did to Kimmich.

Offline spider-neil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13676 on: February 6, 2024, 07:49:32 am »
I see Trent’s future in a double pivot with a ball winner beside him. But to facilitate that we’ll have to drop a forward and replace with a 10.

Using Xabi as a blueprint
4-2-3-1 out of possession
3-4-3 in possession

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13677 on: February 6, 2024, 09:09:10 am »
I see Trent’s future in a double pivot with a ball winner beside him. But to facilitate that we’ll have to drop a forward and replace with a 10.

Using Xabi as a blueprint
4-2-3-1 out of possession
3-4-3 in possession

But at the point you need a ball winner beside him for him even to play 6 you have to start asking if it’s worth it. His passing is otherworldly but he’s going to need to be good enough out of possession and when pressed in order to move into midfield. You can’t be mitigating too much for those deficiencies. I don’t see any reason why he can’t offer the off the ball intensity he’d need but he’s going to need to add it to his game/ return it to his game because it’s not there at the moment.  I’m not convinced the question marks about his ability to handle pressure are going away though.

Online lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13678 on: February 6, 2024, 09:55:19 am »
It is now rumoured Dom is out for a number of weeks-a hammer blow to our chances unless we can rejig.

Can we get Trent in midfield now, with Gomez behind him at right back (with Connor ready to when he can)?

People keep saying Trent can't do it but now is the time. Is the only time Klopp has left......

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13679 on: February 6, 2024, 10:45:06 am »
It is now rumoured Dom is out for a number of weeks-a hammer blow to our chances unless we can rejig.

Can we get Trent in midfield now, with Gomez behind him at right back (with Connor ready to when he can)?

People keep saying Trent can't do it but now is the time. Is the only time Klopp has left......
We'd probably do Endo - Macca - Jones,
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.