Author Topic: Campervans  (Read 472 times)

Offline ElMagico

• hato with a rabbito. Abrocadabro!
  • Legacy Fan
Campervans
« on: February 5, 2024, 11:01:58 pm »
Looking at getting my first camper, think I am wanting to get a van and do it up myself.
Got the normal Customs, Transporter, Traffic, Vivaros.

Anyone got one or got any advice on what to look out for? I know some of the engines play up quite a lot.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Campervans
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2024, 11:13:12 pm »
This is pretty camp I reckon.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2024, 01:27:30 am »
Done a couple of conversion back in the day LT35 and Traffic my advice when buying a used van is buyer beware...
For parts get over to the scrappers on the east coast after a storm, you'll find plenty of newish caravan parts going cheap. Remember to keep the weight down ie 3mm marine ply for lining and furniture. And when it comes to the scary part ie taking an angle grinder and cutting holes in the sides and roof of your van, be brave, build a template and take your time.
Some joinery plumbing and basic electrical skills are a must.   

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2024, 01:46:44 am »
And kingspan and expanding foam for insulation. If you need to use silicone, don't buy the cheap shit & mastic would be best in some places, leave it warming on a radiator or engine before you use it.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2024, 01:49:11 am »
Done a couple of conversion back in the day LT35 and Traffic my advice when buying a used van is buyer beware...
For parts get over to the scrappers on the east coast after a storm, you'll find plenty of newish caravan parts going cheap. Remember to keep the weight down ie 3mm marine ply for lining and furniture. And when it comes to the scary part ie taking an angle grinder and cutting holes in the sides and roof of your van, be brave, build a template and take your time.
Some joinery plumbing and basic electrical skills are a must.   

So much easier now we have led strips and for the rest there are loads of refits on utube..

I'd be looking at something like a transit van, those engines can take a hammering.

« Last Edit: February 6, 2024, 01:52:59 am by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #5 on: February 6, 2024, 01:56:29 am »
This is pretty camp I reckon.

Capon just detailed his van...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2024, 02:22:10 am »
So much easier now we have led strips and for the rest there are loads of refits on utube..

I'd be looking at something like a transit van, those engines can take a hammering.
Not a bad shout for Transit proper workhorse that plenty of spare parts but used ones have usually taken an hammering.
I'd also use leccy for heating & refrain from using gas for anything other than cooking and to not even think about trying to install that yourself... Strictly Corgi registered only.   

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2024, 09:46:21 am »
Am about 3/4 of the way through converting a LWB Transit Luton. The plan is to live in it.

Heating - woodburner
Cooking - small gas cooker, 2 rings, oven grill
Double bed
Small 2 seat sofa
LED lighting
Three small horsebox style windows
Lined with 40mm celotex foam and 9mm ply (will take a screw)

To come - solar panel(s)

Fairly easy to fit as the box is 9mm or maybe 12mm ply.

"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2024, 10:56:55 am »
Capon just detailed his van...
Cheeky bastard

Spoiler
khkhkhkhk" border="0
[close]

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2024, 11:00:24 am »

You're going to make a tranny camper?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2024, 02:42:34 pm »
Not a bad shout for Transit proper workhorse that plenty of spare parts but used ones have usually taken an hammering.

That's the point, you'll struggle to find any used van that hasn't, at least with the ford, you know they can take it & like you say, the parts are plentiful, so cheaper.

I'm sure Rob will know what's best in the different price ranges and that Sudden Death (good choice on the celotex, same but cheaper) will gladly answer any and every question that you have  ;D
« Last Edit: February 6, 2024, 02:45:12 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2024, 02:45:55 pm »

You're going to make a tranny camper?

I do enjoy a challenge.

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2024, 03:22:40 pm »
That's the point, you'll struggle to find any used van that hasn't, at least with the ford, you know they can take it & like you say, the parts are plentiful, so cheaper.

I'm sure Rob will know what's best in the different price ranges and that Sudden Death (good choice on the celotex, same but cheaper) will gladly answer any and every question that you have  ;D

The celotex was already in place when I bought the van, you can't but 40mm new anymore it's been replaced by 50mm.

The van was fully kitted out when I bought it, but was a mess, so I started again.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2024, 03:58:24 pm »
Transits, in my experience, tend to be mechanically sound with long lasting reliable engines.

The main problem they have is rust. First thing I did when looking to buy was check the chassis and sub-frame. Surprisingly for a 20 year old Transit they were both in very good nick. That along with it driving very well, made up my mind.

Only other vans I have experience with are Mercedes, which I prefer, but they're more expensive all round.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2024, 05:54:02 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...