Author Topic: Shogun (TV Mini Series 2024)  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Shogun (TV Mini Series 2024)
« Reply #40 on: April 3, 2024, 06:29:59 pm »
Can't say I've heard any pilots from that age but he sounds like I'd expect, he has got better as a character over time.

In the book, he's the premier pilot of the age among the Protestant nations, having served with numerous countries including Catholic ones (as an impressed employee who got his share, as skilled pilots were prized), and having spent a dozen years in a centralised pilot/shipwright academy where he'd have mixed with people from all over England. The character would probably empathise with Jarvis's assertion that he doesn't belong anywhere.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: April 3, 2024, 06:39:58 pm »
In the book, he's the premier pilot of the age among the Protestant nations, having served with numerous countries including Catholic ones (as an impressed employee who got his share, as skilled pilots were prized), and having spent a dozen years in a centralised pilot/shipwright academy where he'd have mixed with people from all over England. The character would probably empathise with Jarvis's assertion that he doesn't belong anywhere.

Interesting, his character in the series doesn't seem that level gravitas, like he's some average sailor.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: April 3, 2024, 07:17:29 pm »
Interesting, his character in the series doesn't seem that level gravitas, like he's some average sailor.

You don't get opportunity after opportunity to talk about his history. There is one event in the book which proved his gravitas, and it's also in the show, albeit with less capacity for explaining the reasoning. That's when Rodrigues is washed overboard and Blackthorne takes over and takes the ship to safety, when all the Japanese aboard were resigned to the ship being lost with all hands. Rodrigues later admits he'd have headed into the open sea and probably lost the ship, whereas Blackthorne, after taking over, went against Rodrigues's orders and aimed for and achieved the bay. After that, Yabu and Hiromatsu recognised Blackthorne's worth as a valuable figure in his own right.

One of the most underrated figures in the story is the priest in the prison, who was the reason why Toranaga sent Blackthorne there. Toranaga recognised Blackthorne's hunger for survival and his opposition to the Christian establishment in Japan, and sent Blackthorne to the prison with the implied threat of execution but with the opportunity to sweat information out of the priest, whom Toranaga probably viewed as the more valuable of the two. After the Catholics tried to murder Blackthorne in prison, Toranaga brought him out in his usual fashion, and later tried to bring the priest out as well. Unfortunately, the latter mistook his exit as the long awaited order for execution, and died from a heart attack, which left Blackthorne as Toranaga's only anti-Jesuit western asset on scene.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: April 3, 2024, 10:22:14 pm »
The last episode - i.e. last week (not this week) - was a bit slow and plodding. good back story though. Need to watch this week's episode tonight.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #44 on: April 3, 2024, 11:59:21 pm »

The book is brilliant.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: April 4, 2024, 12:06:52 am »
The book is brilliant.

I ordered it earlier, won't touch it until the show's finished though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #46 on: April 4, 2024, 08:22:32 am »
I ordered it earlier, won't touch it until the show's finished though.

I read it in the 80s when the first show came out. I have read King Rat and Tai Pan as well.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 4, 2024, 12:44:36 pm »
You don't get opportunity after opportunity to talk about his history. There is one event in the book which proved his gravitas, and it's also in the show, albeit with less capacity for explaining the reasoning. That's when Rodrigues is washed overboard and Blackthorne takes over and takes the ship to safety, when all the Japanese aboard were resigned to the ship being lost with all hands. Rodrigues later admits he'd have headed into the open sea and probably lost the ship, whereas Blackthorne, after taking over, went against Rodrigues's orders and aimed for and achieved the bay. After that, Yabu and Hiromatsu recognised Blackthorne's worth as a valuable figure in his own right.

One of the most underrated figures in the story is the priest in the prison, who was the reason why Toranaga sent Blackthorne there. Toranaga recognised Blackthorne's hunger for survival and his opposition to the Christian establishment in Japan, and sent Blackthorne to the prison with the implied threat of execution but with the opportunity to sweat information out of the priest, whom Toranaga probably viewed as the more valuable of the two. After the Catholics tried to murder Blackthorne in prison, Toranaga brought him out in his usual fashion, and later tried to bring the priest out as well. Unfortunately, the latter mistook his exit as the long awaited order for execution, and died from a heart attack, which left Blackthorne as Toranaga's only anti-Jesuit western asset on scene.

Sounds like I need to read the book, my point was more if he was at the elevated status you mention he doesn't act like that, he seems a bit thick especially early on. Yes he shows his ability as a pilot but as a person he just seems overly difficult and rude, I expect that's meant to show his personality but I don't think it translates well early on. It gets better, mainly after he gets some pillow time ;)

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: April 4, 2024, 02:37:24 pm »
last ep
Spoiler
glad that kid's dead though. absolute waste of screen time
[close]
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #49 on: April 4, 2024, 02:38:30 pm »
We all need a bit of pillow time to calm us down once in a while.

I watched a couple of interviews with Cosmo Jarvis. And it turns out he’s a little befuddled looking in real life.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 4, 2024, 03:23:45 pm »
last ep
Spoiler
glad that kid's dead though. absolute waste of screen time
[close]

haha.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 4, 2024, 03:24:26 pm »
I'm kind of glad I haven't gotten to the book (yet - soon though).

Last night's episode caught me off guard!

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 4, 2024, 04:01:43 pm »

I watched a couple of interviews with Cosmo Jarvis. And it turns out he’s a little befuddled looking in real life.

You offering your services in the half time thread meady?

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 4, 2024, 06:11:25 pm »

I really don't know what the issue with the actor playing Blackthorne.
I think he's been very good.

He's doing a slightly mannered accent as he's in a period piece.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 4, 2024, 07:10:19 pm »
Really liking this 3 episodes in. Never read the book. It is one of them you really need to concentrate for or you can get easily lost. Also found some of it to be too dark (literally, not metaphorically) but might be my telly.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #55 on: April 4, 2024, 07:22:45 pm »
I'm kind of glad I haven't gotten to the book (yet - soon though).

Last night's episode caught me off guard!

Bits of it differed from the book apparently - which I've just started reading

Namely
Spoiler
soft lad splitting his head open
[close]

Makes me wonder if they'll change the ending too - could go either way. I had that spoiled for me, but not in a way that I can say the book ending is good or bad. I mean... it sounds explosive

It's been ages since I watched a series "live" with full faith in them to stick the landing

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: April 4, 2024, 10:52:08 pm »
Blackthorne storming off seemed a bit staged? Wonder whether it's a plan, or would that be considered dishonourable?
« Last Edit: April 4, 2024, 10:57:11 pm by RedDeadRejection »

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 5, 2024, 08:29:29 am »
Can't say I've heard any pilots from that age but he sounds like I'd expect, he has got better as a character over time.

That’s for sure.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 5, 2024, 03:33:20 pm »
Last episode was quality. God knows what happens next though.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 5, 2024, 03:40:46 pm »
Last episode was quality. God knows what happens next though.

Crimson Sky of course.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 6, 2024, 04:31:45 pm »
Blackthorne storming off seemed a bit staged? Wonder whether it's a plan, or would that be considered dishonourable?

Somethings a-brewing definitely.

Spoiler
Toranaga's conversation with Gin suggested he's cunning to just surrender himself like that. Wouldn't be surprised if he got Blackthorne to storm off in a huff. His idiotic hotheaded son might have ruined things though.
[close]
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: April 6, 2024, 04:50:55 pm »
Somethings a-brewing definitely.

Spoiler
Toranaga's conversation with Gin suggested he's cunning to just surrender himself like that. Wouldn't be surprised if he got Blackthorne to storm off in a huff. His idiotic hotheaded son might have ruined things though.
[close]

This was my exact guess!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 6, 2024, 06:27:07 pm »
Crimson Sky of course.
They have enough of an army to do that?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 6, 2024, 06:28:37 pm »
Not touched their air force yet have they ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 6, 2024, 06:30:34 pm »

We saw it crash and burn a few episodes ago.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #65 on: April 6, 2024, 06:32:44 pm »

Toranaga's falcons, not to be under-rated...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: April 6, 2024, 06:33:18 pm »
Toranaga's falcons, not to be under-rated...
Or the Pigeons that send messages?

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 6, 2024, 06:50:53 pm »

Well no-one knows exactly what Crimson Sky is.. There is misdirection around misdirection here.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #68 on: April 6, 2024, 07:46:58 pm »
Well no-one knows exactly what Crimson Sky is.. There is misdirection around misdirection here.

Which was one of the key subplots in the book that I think the tv series is doing particularly well with...

Offline Gili Gulu

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 8, 2024, 06:55:59 pm »
Yes he's publicly declared that it's
Spoiler
a rush assault on Osaka, in front of vassals he doesn't trust
[close]
So I think that's probably a misdirection.

I don't believe for an instant that
Spoiler
Blackthorne storming out was real
[close]

Spoiler
I think Toranaga has enough troops to take on Ishido if the Christian Busho's armies switch sides
[close]
« Last Edit: April 8, 2024, 06:59:42 pm by Gili Gulu »
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Online spartan2785

• Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: April 8, 2024, 10:51:19 pm »
I'm waiting for this to finish before I binge it, I don't think I've been this excited for a show in a long time, trailers have made it seem like the show of the last few years.

Offline Gili Gulu

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 9, 2024, 12:21:22 pm »
Just watched episode 8, was excellent, and very intense.

The episode should be available now from the "usual sources"

I'm waiting for this to finish before I binge it, I don't think I've been this excited for a show in a long time, trailers have made it seem like the show of the last few years.

I wish I'd done that now, probably would have zoomed through in two days of 5 episodes each.

DO NOT search for Shogun in Youtube. One of the first videos that came up on my feed had a major spoiler for this latest episode in the title.
« Last Edit: April 9, 2024, 12:27:29 pm by Gili Gulu »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 9, 2024, 10:00:39 pm »
WHAT AN EPISODE! Only two left? :(

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2024, 01:25:31 am »
Outstanding TV.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2024, 11:49:46 am »
Show is varying from the novel, especially in the fates of certain characters, but is capturing the spirit of the book very, very well.

A very powerful episode, great stuff...

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2024, 01:44:29 pm »
Show is varying from the novel, especially in the fates of certain characters, but is capturing the spirit of the book very, very well.

A very powerful episode, great stuff...

I anticipate something that would be a departure from the source (the novel), but which would reflect the source source (the history Shogun is based on).

Novel Toranaga is rather more smug than show Toranaga. Although the Edo neighbours were hilarious.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2024, 01:47:14 am »
Toranaga is a bad leader. Like Ten Hag.

(I'm kidding - but that was rough ...)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 01:50:17 am by newterp »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2024, 05:55:21 pm »
Only got on this today, watched all 8 episodes this week, loved it.  Wish I'd realised there are two more though, I should have waited for all 10

I'll have to read the book now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 05:57:01 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2024, 06:31:12 pm »
I started listening to the audiobook on my commute this week. In the Prologue and first chapter alone they revealed who sent Blackthorne, along with his backstory. They have made both quite a mystery in this TV show and I felt insta-spoiled!

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2024, 07:19:55 pm »
I started listening to the audiobook on my commute this week. In the Prologue and first chapter alone they revealed who sent Blackthorne, along with his backstory. They have made both quite a mystery in this TV show and I felt insta-spoiled!

Dutch entrepreneurs looking for a route into the Portuguese empire?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011