Author Topic: Raheem Shaquille Sterling  (Read 676671 times)

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2013, 06:24:43 pm »
We win and that's what you think about? He did decent enough when on pitch + defensively.

I'm sorry that I'm worried about his first touch. Pass me those blinders please.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:26:38 pm by SMASHerano »

Offline DefJack

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2013, 06:30:15 pm »
Did alright when he came on, even at an unfamiliar position

That foul throw was poor though lad, sort it out, also when was the last time anyone saw two foul throws in a top level match?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2013, 06:31:03 pm »
Did alright when he came on, even at an unfamiliar position

That foul throw was poor though lad, sort it out, also when was the last time anyone saw two foul throws in a top level match?

Who cares?

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »
Needs to improve. I fear he'll be similar to Shuan Wright-Phillips or that Swansea winger, and not Giggs/Barnes
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline Johnny B. Goode

• Currently flying solo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • What planet is Garrincha from?
« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2013, 06:43:03 pm »
He looks flustered, and has been since day one. Could do with more time on the pitch, because he just seems anxious to make everything happen in 20 minutes.
'You put Pele face-to-face with me and I'll tell him: Pelé - you, me, any so-and-so...we can't deal with Garrincha, he's better than all of us.' Eusebio

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:05 pm »
the foul throw was embarrassing

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:20 pm »
He looks flustered, and has been since day one. Could do with more time on the pitch, because he just seems anxious to make everything happen in 20 minutes.

That's why if we make a couple of signings he'll get a loan spell after January possibly. I think definitely for next season we should be looking to do what we did for Suso this season.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 07:05:06 pm »
That's why if we make a couple of signings he'll get a loan spell after January possibly. I think definitely for next season we should be looking to do what we did for Suso this season.

Something definitely needs to happen as his progress seems to be stalling.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2013, 07:06:50 pm »
Thread is embarrassing

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2013, 07:07:29 pm »
He is 18 years old ffs,he needs patience,support and encouragement and we will have a great player for the future.
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2013, 07:09:43 pm »
How many goals were Mcmanaman and Giggs knocking in at 18? Not many? They had obvious potential but weren't constantly making match winning cameos all the time. Give him a chance.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2013, 07:12:50 pm »
He is 18 years old ffs,he needs patience,support and encouragement and we will have a great player for the future.

I don't think people are righting off but the question needs to be asked, "how would you manage his progression into the first team?"

Would you be giving him more minutes at the moment and potentially risk dropping points? Would you send him out on loan?
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2013, 07:17:36 pm »

Giggs got 7 in 51 appearances and McManaman got 11 in his first full season at 19 (in 51 appearances).

Offline The Gigi

• Legacy Fan
  • Where once we watched the King Kenny play
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2013, 07:25:42 pm »
I think he rushes things a little bit more this season compared to last season, probably because he wants to impress the manager in order to be a starter.
If we get another attacker in January, I would send him on loan, he needs to play regularly, like Suso does currently.

Still, some of the posts criticizing an 18 years old who did very well for us last season are embarrassing.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2013, 07:28:32 pm »
Oh dear. Another thread where I though a player did okay and no-one else did :D Just thought he relieved pressure very well carrying the ball out. That's what it's all about from me in the second halves. We haven't defended badly per se it's that we haven't been composed and relieved pressure by carrying or passing the ball out well at all. After we conceded I thought we did that a lot better.

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2013, 07:30:12 pm »
I am with you Groove, he did well when he came on, took players on, got some cheap free kicks, took the sting out of the game. A very brave substitution which a lot of people disagreed with at that time but on hindsight Rodgers got it right.
Justice for the 96

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »
I am with you Groove, he did well when he came on, took players on, got some cheap free kicks, took the sting out of the game. A very brave substitution which a lot of people disagreed with at that time but on hindsight Rodgers got it right.

agreed there mate, thought he managed to stifle them and gave us another very quick counter attacking outlet.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2013, 07:52:11 pm »
Err... are people really saying he wasn't good?

I thought he did very well when he came on, going forward and going back.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2013, 07:55:29 pm »
I thought he did alright when he came on.

Think him coming on with 15/20 minutes to go when we're 1 up makes the other team think twice about sending loads forward, they'll know he's lightning and could cause trouble on the break. He'll come good, a loan move would do him good when we have sufficient cover.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #99 on: October 2, 2013, 11:23:30 am »
This Exclusive interview with John Barnes (today) relates to Raheem Sterling and young player development http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4622/africa/2013/10/02/4302707/barnes-money-alone-should-not-motivate-players
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 2, 2013, 11:36:08 am »
I thought he did alright when he came on.

Think him coming on with 15/20 minutes to go when we're 1 up makes the other team think twice about sending loads forward, they'll know he's lightning and could cause trouble on the break. He'll come good, a loan move would do him good when we have sufficient cover.

Yes good option on the bench but ideally you want him to be more than an impact sub. He has a lot of hard work in front of him to be that player.

Offline chanti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 2, 2013, 11:39:20 am »
I prefer Jordan Ibe, if I had to really honest.

I don't think he can improve to be honest.

I know some will say he is 18 and therefore....

All world-class players at that age have it already.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102 on: October 2, 2013, 11:41:12 am »
He's actually a pretty decent option as a wing back.  He's surprisingly good in the air, decent in the tackle, and has that pace to get himself out of trouble.  Not the strongest, but then neither is Ashley Cole.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #103 on: October 2, 2013, 11:42:15 am »

Apart from all the world class ones that didn't?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #104 on: October 2, 2013, 11:47:09 am »

Why does Sterling have to be 'world class' (whatever that means)?

Drogba signed his first pro contract when he was 21.

Van Nisterlooy started his career with second division dutch team Den Bosch when he was 19.

Ian Wright was playing non league football until his 20's.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #105 on: October 2, 2013, 11:50:20 am »

And what is it?  How do you know he doesn't have it?

If it was as simple as that I'm sure we could save a tens of millions on youth development, the academy and
our international scouting network.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 2, 2013, 11:54:44 am »

What are you talking about?

He is 18 and already a full international and first teamer for Liverpool, if that doesn't show  he has it i don't know what does. Unless you can name more than a handful of 18 year olds with the same experience and accolades he has already in his young career.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 2, 2013, 11:57:02 am »

Van Nisterlooy started his career with second division dutch team Den Bosch when he was 19.

Raheem Sterling is already far ahead of the curve, most 18 year olds across the country and Europe are either playing in the 2nd tier of their leagues or their reserve teams, Raheem broke through at 17 and made his England debut at 18 if that doesn't show that he is a prodigious talent then i don't know what does.

When he plays with his age mates i.e England U 21s or Liverpool reserves he more than often always stands out amongst his peers.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 2, 2013, 11:59:06 am »
Sterling is great. He just needs to be kept on course and he'll turn out just fine. He's still very young, not in a Ben Foster kind of way either. Plenty to learn, and plenty of time to do it in.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 2, 2013, 11:59:40 am »
He's actually a pretty decent option as a wing back.  He's surprisingly good in the air, decent in the tackle, and has that pace to get himself out of trouble.  Not the strongest, but then neither is Ashley Cole.

I do think like Cole(and lots of other talented young wingers) that Sterling should be converted to a fullback. No doubt he can be a good winger but I think he could be an exceptional modern attacking fullback. I'm not sure how it'll go down with the lad now though. He's already got a good contract and an England cap so it'd be a very hard sell.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #110 on: October 2, 2013, 12:00:55 pm »
Raheem Sterling is already far ahead of the curve, most 18 year olds across the country and Europe are either playing in the 2nd tier of their leagues or their reserve teams, Raheem broke through at 17 and made his England debut at 18 if that doesn't show that he is a prodigious talent then i don't know what does.

When he plays with his age mates i.e England U 21s or Liverpool reserves he more than often always stands out amongst his peers.
You can understand why Brendan might want to hold young players back when we're told they haven't got 'it' at 18-years old.

I'm sure Alberto and Ibe etc would be getting the same treatment if they were getting regular games.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #111 on: October 2, 2013, 12:01:11 pm »

What are you talking about?

He is 18 and already a full international and first teamer for Liverpool, if that doesn't show  he has it i don't know what does. Unless you can name more than a handful of 18 year olds with the same experience and accolades he has already in his young career.

I think the problem is that when you look at many of the past players who came through at a young age and made a real impact at the club (Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Gerrard) they looked special from the very begining, there was very little settling period and what they produced on the pitch was apparent from early on. With Sterling we are yet to see that.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #112 on: October 2, 2013, 12:07:34 pm »
From the snippets we've seen of Raheem at RB/RWB in the last couple of games (U21 and 1st team), he does look rather good there, and very much at home. As someone said, even winning headers! Would be really interesting to see him given a chance at RWB at the weekend.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 2, 2013, 12:09:36 pm »
SWP
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 2, 2013, 12:15:45 pm »
I think the problem is that when you look at many of the past players who came through at a young age and made a real impact at the club (Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Gerrard) they looked special from the very begining, there was very little settling period and what they produced on the pitch was apparent from early on. With Sterling we are yet to see that.

He showed glimpses of his talent last season though at the age of 17/18, no one could tell me that there isn't a lot to work with, if Sterling was playing on loan to a team in the championship and ripping it up like he most probably would if he dropped down a level, no one would be doubting his talent, theres been calls for us to buy the likes of Chalobah and Hughes on here and neither of them are as proven as Sterling is, and it shows when they join up with the u21s.

Mcmanaman broke through at 19, Sterling is still 18, a lot can change in a year in terms of a players development, the likes of Barkley are current examples of this, Suso is a fitting example as well, last year he looked lost in many games, this year he is one of the best young players in La Liga. Not surprising to me because anyone with two eyes could see the talent was there, same thing with Sterling its now just about him trying to find some consistency and make a meaningful impact in the final third, but that will come with time and the more games he plays.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 2, 2013, 12:23:39 pm »
I'm wondering if the league standard has increased just enough in the last 10-15 years that it's going to be very, very, VERY rare (if at all) that you see players come through and make an immediate big impact (like Rooney, Owen, Fowler) at 17-18 in the top half of the league. Good impact subs like Sterling and that Januzaj at United are about as good kids this age are going to look. At least 'til they hit 20/21.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 2, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »

And don't forget Vinnie Jones or DJ Campbell.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 2, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »
I mean look at Sturridge. Didn't really start making big noises in the league until his spell at Bolton when he was 21/22 and we can all see how talented he is.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #118 on: October 2, 2013, 12:28:00 pm »
And don't forget Vinnie Jones or DJ Campbell.
Shhh. I was saving them for later along with Kevin Phillips.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #119 on: October 2, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
When Sterling plays I trust him to do a job for us, he's tactically very good and intelligent as well. He will only get better and has a huge advantage in that he has that game intelligence and can read the game at such a young age. Someone like Walcott, although talented is a bit of a dumb footballer, he's never going to be world class because he cannot read the game. By the time Sterling reaches his age he will be a better player IMO