Author Topic: Brookside vs Crossroads - FA Cup Semi Final, Sunday, April 19th  (Read 47631 times)

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
Re: Brookside vs Crossroads - FA Cup Semi Final, Sunday, April 19th
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2015, 02:10:55 pm »
Skrtel and Gerrard are both back from suspension. Sakho is definitely out injured. Not sure on Sturridge or Lallana.

Cheers.  Hopefully both Gerrard and Skrtel will start as I see this being a very aggressive game.  Someone put up a gif on one of the other threads showing how Gerrard 'took care of' Fellaini's aerial threat in a fixture last season and I think we'll need more of the same against Benteke.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2015, 02:31:54 pm »
I think Skrtel, Gerrard and Sturridge will all start.

We'll play a back 4 and we'll win.

Migs

Johnson      Skrtel     Lovren   Moreno

Lucas

Gerrard             Henderson

Countinho

Sterling     
                         Sturridge

Or we could play a back 3, and we'll win.

Migs

Can      Skrtel     Lovren

Sterling    Lucas    Henderson   Moreno

Gerrard

Coutinho             Sturridge

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:08 pm »
Come on Redmen!!

Keep the solidity at the back ad the fluidity and just improve the finishing through Sturridge back and all should be good
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2015, 02:44:54 pm »
Having watched them a bit, I don't think I can overstate how important it is that don't sit off out of possession. They're missing a lot of players and they've got a lot of injury doubts but they'll be confident after their win over Spurs and they're playing quite aggressively at the moment so we need to match that and not allow them to a) be able to play balls to Benteke in good positions on the left and b) get support around him. I doubt Sherwood will want to change too much so I think he'll stick with their 4-3-1-2 that they've been playing recently and look to take the game to us. If we stand off then they'll be able to not only push up the pitch but be able to press us aggressively because of their numbers through the middle. I could easily foresee us being put under pressure in periods and struggling to get out so we need to try and eliminate that possibility.

I think we have a number of options in terms of how we setup. It really is down to where Rodgers wants to target, if he has a particular space he wants to use. I could see him sticking with the back four and looking to get 2v1s in the wide areas - especially when Aston Villa go long for Benteke and condense narrowly trying to win the second ball, there will be space wide, so I think consistently switching the play quickly should help us to not get swamped by their narrow, hard-working midfield. The likes of Moreno running forward immediately when possession is won should find space. If their outside midfielders/shuttlers then go wide to mark on the flanks then space may well open up either side of their holding midfielder so we can use that either through our wide forwards, striker or Henderson making runs high up like he did against Newcastle.

The alternative would be to change back to a back three, which I think has its strong points as well. If we were to do so, we might see Skrtel go to RCB to deal with Benteke in the air, with Can sweeping up behind and that would also give us cover on the counter attack. The issue is whether we'd end up sitting off again and becoming a back five too often, which is why I think it might be a better possibility for us to start with the 3-4-3 diamond. Assuming Villa will stick with a diamond instead of changing it up, then a 3-4-3 diamond would enable us to match them in midfield, retain a spare man at the back and have two players pushed up against their full backs.

That might force us into closing them down high like we did in the second half against Swansea and though it might be more difficult for us to find 2v1s in the wide areas, we would probably play more aggressively as a result. The key whatever we do is to defend aggressively to push them back and to move the ball about well so that we can take advantage of whatever space they leave. If we were brave and started Markovic and Sterling as the sole flank players, we could get a lot of joy against their full backs - if we can get Sterling running as much as possible at Richardson we will definitely cause them problems. Alternatively we could choose to keep Moreno in over Markovic in order to provide some better width on the left or bring Markovic inside to play either at the tip or as one of the shuttlers in the diamond and take out Allen.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2015, 02:45:13 pm »
Those picking Gerrard,  what exactly has he done in the last 4 months to justify a place in the team?  No room for sentiment or remeberances of his goal against Olympiakos or Istanbul.  The best 11 players doesn't include him any more. 
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »
Those picking Gerrard,  what exactly has he done in the last 4 months to justify a place in the team?  No room for sentiment or remeberances of his goal against Olympiakos or Istanbul.  The best 11 players doesn't include him any more.

I get that. However we have very few players with big game experience so I think he'll play for that reason. Skrtel brings some of that too.

I'm honestly not sure if he or Allen would be best for the team (as that is the choice I guess) but my bet is BR will pick Gerrard.

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2015, 03:46:41 pm »
I get that. However we have very few players with big game experience so I think he'll play for that reason. Skrtel brings some of that too.

I'm honestly not sure if he or Allen would be best for the team (as that is the choice I guess) but my bet is BR will pick Gerrard.

Yeah, Gerrard showed all his big game experiance in the United game................ Oh wait.

That excuse is a load of horse shite, big game experiance means sod all.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2015, 03:52:50 pm »
Yeah, Gerrard showed all his big game experiance in the United game................ Oh wait.

That excuse is a load of horse shite, big game experiance means sod all.

Until we get a pen in the last five minutes and we have Sterling or Markovic stepping up........

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2015, 04:06:38 pm »
Until we get a pen in the last five minutes and we have Sterling or Markovic stepping up........

It would be Henderson in that scenario. And I'd be amazed if Gerrard isn't on the pitch at the final whistle, but I don't think he will be at the start.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2015, 04:24:55 pm »
Is flanno fit to start ? Maybe markovic can play at rwb because the thought of johnson playing rubbish as usual & with villa sole tactic is getting in crosses from the wings doesn't fill me confidence at all.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2015, 04:42:52 pm »
Is flanno fit to start ? Maybe markovic can play at rwb because the thought of johnson playing rubbish as usual & with villa sole tactic is getting in crosses from the wings doesn't fill me confidence at all.

Doesn't look like it:

Better looking than Samie.

Offline Mike Basset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:32 pm »
Wooooooo! Just found out ive managed to bag tickets for this :D absolutely buzzing now. As much as i like Tim Sherwood, i hope his gilet is halfway down the pitch come full time.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2015, 05:48:50 pm »
As much as i like Tim Sherwood, i hope his gilet is halfway down the pitch come full time.

Well he is obviously a protege of yours...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2015, 05:49:24 pm »
Don't give a $hit about the formation. As long as the defence don't try to play from the back and our midfielders and forwards press the opposition, we should have too much for the villians.   8)
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline Mike Basset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2015, 05:53:41 pm »
Well he is obviously a protege of yours...

;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2015, 05:54:11 pm »
Can't believe this is the first time that Lucas will have ever played at Wembley.

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2015, 06:04:56 pm »

Agreed 100%. I forgot that he was back in contention now -- can't believe that people are even considering him in all honesty. Has struggled massively all season (and for periods of last season too) and his recent showings in big games have been woeful. His legs have gone -- how many times does it need to be said? Also which of Lucas, Allen or Henderson - all of whom have been playing pretty well lately - do you drop to accommodate him? And what sort of message does it send out after he dropped us in it for one of the most important games of our season? Nah, sorry, but he should be an option on the bench and nothing more. Same goes for our remaining league fixtures as well as the final if we get there.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2015, 06:11:17 pm »
I think it's gonna have to be a place on the bench for Sturridge (if fit) and Gerrard. Great impacts to have though.

I'd go back to a three at the back with Can, Skrtel and Lovren. Markovic and Moreno wing backs and Lucas and Allen sitting. Henderson and Coutinho behind sterling. If we want to pressure villa that would be the most preferable. It's very flexible, could push can into midfield and hendo wing back and move ibe behind sterling alongside coutinho later on in the game, or replace markovic for gerrard, sterling for sturridge etc. Lots of options.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:17:39 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2015, 06:13:25 pm »
Can't believe people are dismissing Liverpool's greatest ever player from contention with such nonchalance. Maybe if we'd looked unplayable over recent weeks without him, it'd be understandable...But we haven't. Assuming 4 in midfield; Lucas, Henderson and Coutinho obviously play. Are we really saying Joe Allen HAS to play above the greatest player in Liverpool's history? ...The levels of dismissal, bordering on insults, amongst some in our support astonishes me.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2015, 06:15:06 pm »
Ibe
Is
Cuptied

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2015, 06:16:37 pm »
Can't believe people are dismissing Liverpool's greatest ever player from contention with such nonchalance. Maybe if we'd looked unplayable over recent weeks without him, it'd be understandable...But we haven't. Assuming 4 in midfield; Lucas, Henderson and Coutinho obviously play. Are we really saying Joe Allen HAS to play above the greatest player in Liverpool's history? ...The levels of dismissal, bordering on insults, amongst some in our support astonishes me.

A bit OTT. Joe Allen is coming off the back of a good game, first premier league goal, why should he be dropped for Gerrard who can't last a whole match of this intensity? Plus Lucas and Gerrard in close proximity is a big fucking no no. Get gerrard on later in the game closer to the opposition goal.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2015, 06:17:47 pm »
Can't wait for this. Well up for it.

I always find semi-finals more exciting than the actual final, for some reason.

Keep big Benteke quiet, and we'll be right.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2015, 06:18:40 pm »
Ibe
Is
Cuptied

;D The one time its actually legitimate to answer that way

Offline Cork Red

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2015, 06:34:28 pm »
Doesn't look like it:

The Mods need to update your description:  "RAWK Resident Soap Queen"  ;D

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2015, 06:40:33 pm »

I tend to agree with this. Gerrard has played a lot less this season and 4th is currently out of our hands. Last year he was an integral part of the team and we almost won the league. I won't turn it into an argument like that, I'm just saying it's possible to push an agenda with both sides of the coin.

If he plays, he plays. He's only suspended because he went over the top in trying to rectify shocking performances, aided by shocking attitudes, of the midfielders who played against United and who will play if he doesn't. People on this board have selective myopia at a level that Arsene Wenger would be proud of.

Offline KopJemma83

• Anny Roader
  • Along The Fields Of Anfield Road...
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2015, 06:47:57 pm »
Hey,

I'm selling train tickets from Liverpool to London going down Sunday and coming back Monday. Had to rearrange due to a funeral.  Does anyone know if there is a suitable forum on here I could use?

Thanks
At a football club, there’s a holy trinity, the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques - Bill Shankly

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2015, 06:59:41 pm »

It's possible to think he's one of the greatest player's in our history and simultaneously think he's not currently good enough to be in our best starting XI

(otherwise following your logic that what a player has accomplished should dictate selection - Kenny should be playing on Sunday )

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2015, 07:12:00 pm »
It's possible to think he's one of the greatest player's in our history and simultaneously think he's not currently good enough to be in our best starting XI

(otherwise following your logic that what a player has accomplished should dictate selection - Kenny should be playing on Sunday )

We had Heighway on the wing
Got the nod ahead of Ster-ling

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »
If you are travelling down on the Saturday, be careful you don't run into this lot. They're playing away.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2015, 09:02:23 pm »
I have to learn when to stop flogging a dead meme.

Why is this not the title of the thread?????

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2015, 09:06:10 pm »
Why is this not the title of the thread?????

Because "Brookside vs Crossroads" is better :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2015, 09:10:02 pm »
Obviously depends who's on the pitch but in terms of who have taken them for us before (actually scrap that given the Boro shoot out!...), but in terms of those who have been in the first choice 5 before and you'd have confidence in:

Lambert/Balotelli (on the assumption that one but probably not both would be on the pitch at the end of extra time)
Lucas
Johnson
Allen
Henderson
Lallana (will he still be injured)

Wouldn't overly fancy Sterling or Sturridge (if fit). No idea on Markovic, Moreno or Coutinho.
You forgot Ze German...

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2015, 09:10:43 pm »
No way can Dejan play, the lad needs help.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2015, 09:18:55 pm »

Haha, say what? Why would they step up then?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2015, 10:50:01 pm »
I hope this doesn't come back and bite me on the cheeks, but
I reckon good old Tim has made a bit of a rookie mistake when he said after the spurs match that their tactic lately has been to get the ball to Benteke early. Obviously we will have seen that, and plan of for it, but I'm thinking more in the minds of the Villa players.. They're a relatively inexperienced bunch, will telling the whole world about it make them think twice about the early balls or maybe sub consciously try something else? Fucking hope so, because if so we could kill the game In the first half before they get the chance to reorganise.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2015, 10:54:47 pm »
Brilliant work OP! Thoroughly entertaining.
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2015, 11:39:59 pm »
PoP. Your abilities hold no bounds, my friend!

Would be inclined to stick young Lazar at RWB for this one. Johnson's is heart attack material and not far away from a major fuck up, IMO. Hoping Sturridge is fit, however judging by his Instagram post last night, I'm not so sure?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2015, 11:56:22 pm »
Is Ibe available for this?
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2015, 11:58:41 pm »
Three at the back, Can,Skrtel,Lovren. With Henderson and Moreno as wing backs, Lucas and Allen in center, with Gerrard,Sterling and Coutinho up front interchanging?