Author Topic: Roy to be sacked & Dion Fanning article  (Read 199209 times)

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Roy to be Sacked. Sometime.
« Reply #440 on: January 1, 2011, 09:28:28 am »
I don't understand the Times story, since picked up elsewhere. We knew Hodgson would go sooner or later; that's been apparent since October. So what's new and how does this semi-public statement of intent (I assume Barrett was briefed) help the situation?

Exactly the point I was making last night.

Basically the only fresh news we got was that NESV dont want a caretaker and they'll wait till the Summer to replace Roy if they have to.

Bad news basically.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: January 1, 2011, 09:29:58 am »

Bad news basically.

Yep, i mean how many of us were sitting here worrying Roy would see out his 3 year deal?
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: January 1, 2011, 09:32:10 am »
I don't understand the Times story, since picked up elsewhere. We knew Hodgson would go sooner or later; that's been apparent since October. So what's new and how does this semi-public statement of intent (I assume Barrett was briefed) help the situation?

I think its stating that NESV are now actively seeking a replacement when in the past they have never said this and have always backed Roy. Seems like things have now changed.

Offline PJLFC1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: January 1, 2011, 09:36:40 am »

Basically the only fresh news we got was that NESV dont want a caretaker and they'll wait till the Summer to replace Roy if they have to.

Bad news basically.

Totally agree if he stays till the Summer i dread to think the Damage he could do with a Full Season after the Havoc he has caused in Half a Season ! Scary Times ahead me thinks , Nesv really should have instanly Sacked him after the Wolves Game and certainley after his Post Match Interview imho !
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

Offline PJLFC1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: January 1, 2011, 09:38:42 am »
I think its stating that NESV are now actively seeking a replacement when in the past they have never said this and have always backed Roy. Seems like things have now changed.

Worrying thing about that is look how long they have been searching for a CEO and they are in no Rush there so i imagine they have the same feelings about Roy and really the longer he stays the more Damage will need to be undone .
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know My name is the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon thee.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #445 on: January 1, 2011, 09:39:57 am »
But surely NESV know that if they want to make a high profile appointment,it has to be now,even if it may cost then a pretty penny?
If they dont want a caretaker,then that means Roy till the end of the season-which would mean a bottom half finish,with all its consequences.
Getting rid of Roy with immediate effect has to be the prime motive.With each passing game,the situation will get worse.Right now,a new managerial appointment would be fantastic,as the person would get 30 days to effectively rebuild the squad,if required-in some aspects,to mount a late season charge.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #446 on: January 1, 2011, 09:42:00 am »
If Roy doesn´t go get Rafa in, as head coach, with a sole say in all things football, including transfer targets and sales, while leaving Roy in a role where he has no say whatsoever. He will walk then.
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline mulhiem

• Main Stander
« Reply #447 on: January 1, 2011, 09:42:25 am »
Think its time to become internet terrorists again.  Every man and his dog knows that the best manager for the job is sitting in a £7m house in Caldy waiting for the phone call.  Rafa's weakness is simply that he is now considered to be a live cannon, outspoken and a complete pain in the arse. Im pretty sure Rafa has learnt the error of his ways and if he loves the club that much im sure he would work for free until the summer.  Quite how he would fit in with Comolli is a different thing.  Lets face it Comolli is the next error of judgement that the club will have to deal with.  Transfers are transfers, for every good one you sign a shit one - thats the same for every club who doesnt have 'a Comolli'.

I dream of Rafa coming back and being given £100m to spend.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #448 on: January 1, 2011, 09:46:54 am »

And my point is, really: how is this going to help? He is now publicly branded a dead-man walking. Every hoof-ball is going to met with howls of impatient derision. The players have doubtless already woken up to the fact he's not there for good but now they have no motive whatsoever to learn his 'methods' and adopt his 'style' of play. If he's going, let him go quickly. This is like watching an animal dying slowly - FSG should deliver the coup de grace.
An interim manager is not worse than sticking with a manager you have, more or less, agreed is crap.

Edit: Okay, I now understand FSG is not the source of this story, so I withdraw the implicit criticism of their handling. Still believe that as a strategy, Hodgson has to go with immediate effect though.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2011, 09:51:38 am by No666 »

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: January 1, 2011, 09:51:03 am »
And my point is, really: how is this going to help? He is now publicly branded a dead-man walking. Every hoof-ball is going to met with howls of impatient derision. The players have doubtless already woken up to the fact he's not there for good but now they have no motive whatsoever to learn his 'methods' and adopt his 'style' of play. If he's going, let him go quickly. This is like watching an animal dying slowly - FSG should deliver the coup de grace.
An interim manager is not worse than sticking with a manager you have, more or less, agreed is crap.

Maybe its designed to smoke Hodgson out to the point where he walks rather than gets sacked, saving the club about £3mill.

I don't think FSG will allow this to drag on though, and I am sure they have ideas on who they want as the next manager. I certainly couldn't see it carrying on for weeks on end, especially as they know Hodgson is a lame duck now and they seem insistent on refusing to appoint an interim manager.

I will stick my neck on the block and say we will have a new manager by the time we play Man Utd in the FA Cup.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #450 on: January 1, 2011, 09:58:20 am »
The inherent problem as I see it, is the reverse of what several seem to think. We are not gung-ho for campaigns and vocal nuisance-making after the internet terrorists' role in the epic swindle. How many times on here did people tap in: I want to get back to talking about football. And that's the real problem. We were full of expectancy, but there is no football to talk about - just an odd variant of the game that seems to have come from the demented sub-conscious of Dave Bassett.

Offline sgll

• Kemlynite
« Reply #451 on: January 1, 2011, 10:27:03 am »
i bloody hope Hodgson is gone today. im sorprised hes lasted this long. what if we win today? will they keep him? i bloody hope not. win or lose today hes gotta go

Offline robblac1

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #452 on: January 1, 2011, 10:41:36 am »
Think its time to become internet terrorists again.  Every man and his dog knows that the best manager for the job is sitting in a £7m house in Caldy waiting for the phone call.  Rafa's weakness is simply that he is now considered to be a live cannon, outspoken and a complete pain in the arse. Im pretty sure Rafa has learnt the error of his ways and if he loves the club that much im sure he would work for free until the summer.  Quite how he would fit in with Comolli is a different thing.  Lets face it Comolli is the next error of judgement that the club will have to deal with.  Transfers are transfers, for every good one you sign a shit one - thats the same for every club who doesnt have 'a Comolli'.

This

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #453 on: January 1, 2011, 10:42:36 am »
This is a big test for NESV as others have stated as it becomes a test of their decision making qualities. Whilst they have a laudable long term planning approach in development they cant ignore the present. The leaks to the Times is vague and not surprisingly open to interpretation and in danger of making things worse if they do go down the route of letting Roy stay until May before bringing in a replacement. It creates the dead man walking syndrome and players will be even more de-motivated / disinterested resulting in more of the kind of performances we had on Wednesday. Perversely, Roy is then in a stronger position to demand cash for the transfer window and bring in more dross (not convinced about Comolli's influence here yet) or he can say i have a weak squad without backing from the owners and they need to ignore the fans and let him manage things his way - meaning more crap football and discontent.

This is the worst case scenario for us but i can see it happening as NESV are being cautious and wanting to do things systematically in a sport they are unfamiliar with. Unfortunately for them events are dictating that they need to take action which they would rather avoid as i am convinced they dont want to give kenny the job (no facts to back it up) as an interim and have discounted him as a long term replacement.

If as it will do untold damage

Offline sgll

• Kemlynite
« Reply #454 on: January 1, 2011, 10:43:10 am »
i woiuld love for rafa to come back

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 1, 2011, 10:46:14 am »
:)
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #456 on: January 1, 2011, 10:48:22 am »

Think its time to become internet terrorists again. 

No its not.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: January 1, 2011, 10:51:54 am »
Roy is fucked now, as soon as FSG appoint Rafa the new manager then he will be toast.

Would quite like the crowd today to turn on Purslow, that would be interesting.

Offline Rome 84

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #458 on: January 1, 2011, 10:53:36 am »
There was no leak and no briefing.

Offline redmonkey

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #459 on: January 1, 2011, 10:54:13 am »
Maybe its designed to smoke Hodgson out to the point where he walks rather than gets sacked, saving the club about £3mill.

I don't think FSG will allow this to drag on though, and I am sure they have ideas on who they want as the next manager. I certainly couldn't see it carrying on for weeks on end, especially as they know Hodgson is a lame duck now and they seem insistent on refusing to appoint an interim manager.

I will stick my neck on the block and say we will have a new manager by the time we play Man Utd in the FA Cup.

He never walks though, he always waits for the bullet (and the cheque).

I think the only time he walked was when he left FC Copenhagen for Udinese.  I can only see him walking if he is offered the England job.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: January 1, 2011, 10:54:40 am »
The cynic in me sees the timing of this as a little worrying.  FSG(providing they briefed Barrett) have now effectively told any prospective player officially that we dont know who our manager will be, and this just before the transfer window opens. It pretty much guarantees that we are not going to get any big name signings and possibly any at all other than mercenaries.

Now of course there could be nothing sinister in it but it does give them a massive excuse for not spending this window.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Cafin

• Main Stander
« Reply #461 on: January 1, 2011, 10:56:18 am »
cya Roy  :wave

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: January 1, 2011, 10:56:43 am »
Read up about Klinsmann mate. They wer 2nd or 3rd in the league when he was sacked, it was due to arguing with the board not results

You must be kiddin mate. It was about results ONLY. As soon as the CL place was in danger he had to go. No foolin around with the officials. The board of Bayern accepts success ONLY. Short term. Klinsmann wanted to talk them into some 5 years plan but the results weren´t there and a club like BAyern cannot afford not playing CL fooball.

Was it Beckenbauer again steppin in? I can´t remember.

Bayern in fact replaced managers in the middle of the season when they came to the conclusion that top 4 is in danger or the damage to the team became too big.

« Last Edit: January 1, 2011, 11:03:18 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Cafin

• Main Stander
« Reply #463 on: January 1, 2011, 10:58:22 am »
The cynic in me sees the timing of this as a little worrying.  FSG(providing they briefed Barrett) have now effectively told any prospective player officially that we dont know who our manager will be, and this just before the transfer window opens. It pretty much guarantees that we are not going to get any big name signings and possibly any at all other than mercenaries.

Now of course there could be nothing sinister in it but it does give them a massive excuse for not spending this window.

To buy players in this window will mean that we have to overpay - and for what - we won't finish in the top 4. We just have to make do with what we've got at the moment. I wouldn't be buying any players either if I were the owners. They should keep there powder dry for when they have the new manager in place and for a period where we wont have to overpay to get players.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: January 1, 2011, 10:58:57 am »

Bad news basically.

THIS is a mistake in my opinion. A massive one. You can see that it´s one from the way things turned out in the last couple of weeks. I think noone from the long term fraction would deny that it´s  a very dangerous thing for the club to keep Roy til the end of the season. He should have been replaced two month ago and the season would still be alive.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2011, 11:02:27 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline rednile

• Last one out
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 18 LT , 5 EC, 7 FAC, 8 LC, 3 UEFA,
« Reply #465 on: January 1, 2011, 11:01:53 am »

So are you saying its not true ?
Spent sometimes in stormy weather                               

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #466 on: January 1, 2011, 11:04:11 am »
I'm beginning to get the feeling that someone at the club really doesn't want Kenny in the manager's office,even temporarily.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #467 on: January 1, 2011, 11:05:54 am »
Roy is fucked now, as soon as FSG appoint Rafa the new manager then he will be toast.

Would quite like the crowd today to turn on Purslow, that would be interesting.

Ahem...  http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=268402.msg7910719#msg7910719
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: January 1, 2011, 11:06:48 am »
I'm beginning to get the feeling that someone at the club really doesn't want Kenny in the manager's office,even temporarily.
I can fully understand why too.  Imo it woudl cause as much if not more problems than Rafa coming back for the owners
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #469 on: January 1, 2011, 11:10:20 am »

Interesting.

So just a rehash of the situation as we understood it already then to try and calm the fans down? ie Hodgson was likely to be out at the end of the season in favour of NESV bringing in their own man, presumably in accordance with the terms in his contract he confirmed existed in his initial press conference when he became our manager?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Cafin

• Main Stander
« Reply #470 on: January 1, 2011, 11:11:49 am »
The problem is that if Kenny comes back and does good then the new owners wont be able to bring in a long term manager to build the club, thats the problem, we need the next manager to manage for the next 5 to 10 years. Can Kenny do that? The other issue is that our supporters need to get away from the "everytime theres a crisis lets bring back Rafa or Kenny" logic. Liverpool needs a circuit breaker, someone to come in and build this club for the long term.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: January 1, 2011, 11:13:47 am »
Ahem...  http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=268402.msg7910719#msg7910719

Just saw that, great minds and all that.

Think we know Roy is toast, kicking him today would be like attacking a dying man - turn our attention to the slimy twat who seems to have come out of this without enough damage to his reputation - Christian Purslow.

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
« Reply #472 on: January 1, 2011, 11:19:59 am »
Liverpool needs a circuit breaker, someone to come in and build this club for the long term.

You mean exactly what Benitez was doing until the club had to start finding £30m+ a year for interest payments?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #473 on: January 1, 2011, 11:20:25 am »
If Roy had us playing great football and we were top of the league, I doubt very much that NESV would be in any rush to find a more youthful replacement. So why are they so reluctant to let Kenny have a go as caretaker and see if he can do any better? There got to be more to it than the age thing. Purslow or someone else at the club must be advising NESV not to give Kenny the chance, probably telling them that the King has been out of the game too long and it just wouldn't work.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: January 1, 2011, 11:22:33 am »
Regarding Kenny, I don't think they see him as their long term man, but just imagine how hard it would be for them to let him go if he was doing a top job here? I just don't think FSG dare take the risk of giving the job to Kenny knowing at some point they would have to get rid of him.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: January 1, 2011, 11:22:50 am »
Great news if true!!

As a permanent manager pellegrini is perfect, I would be made up if we got him

riijkaard is a weirdo,
kenny shouldn't take the job, managers come and go, like Roy Evans he would have to leave the club altogether if he was ever replaced
Rafa is not the answer although I'd like to take him for lunch

Offline Coady

• Legacy Fan
  • ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
« Reply #476 on: January 1, 2011, 11:25:00 am »
This could stil possibly go either way, what happens if Roy wins the Europa cup now. It will be harder to sack him, maybe it's down to give Roy some space to do his job.
"When you hear the noise of the Bill Shankly boys,
We'll be coming down the road"

Offline SRAWL

• 'Spicegirls Rule All! Wooooh! Lulz.'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: January 1, 2011, 11:25:26 am »
I understand what people are saying about the significance of this article, but I sill get the feeling it is a nothing article being used to placate the fans. I am wondering what the general atmosphere will be like for today's game (with regards to this article).
"We can win 4-0 but I want to win by eight. I don't like to lose. I never accept defeat". Luis Suarez

robbie9fowler robbie fowler
If these qualify now I'm gonna do the moonwalk bollocko from Liverpool to London blindfolded

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: January 1, 2011, 11:27:03 am »
This could stil possibly go either way, what happens if Roy wins the Europa cup now. It will be harder to sack him, maybe it's down to give Roy some space to do his job.

Can't see him seeing the week out to be honest let along the season - it would be seriously unhealthy for the club to drift along with a lame duck manager in place for any reasonable length of time.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #479 on: January 1, 2011, 11:27:09 am »

The Telegraph are explaiming what characteristics our new manager will have:

Youthful

John W Henry and Tom Werner are keen to build the club around a young, ambitious manager, preferably with an attractive style of play and an eye for upcoming talent.

Progressive

FSG's owners witnessed baseball's sabermetrics revolution first-hand with the Boston Red Sox and are determined to run Liverpool in a thoroughly new way. Any candidate will have to be happy to implement new ideas to revitalise a stagnant club.

Adaptable

Damien Comolli, the director of football strategy, would advise Henry and Werner on any change of manager and the successful candidate will need to be willing to work in tandem with the Frenchman on recruitment and long-term planning.

Successful

FSG's commitment, they have been at pains to reiterate, is to winning. That is key to their vision for making Liverpool competitive on and off the pitch. A proven record of success may not be necessary, but it will be a substantial advantage.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!