Author Topic: World Cleanup Day 15/9/18 - largest civic action movement EVER!  (Read 7446 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: World Cleanup Day 15/9/18 - largest civic action movement EVER!
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 03:48:03 pm »
And on that note about the London chapter, here's an announcement from them regarding strategy. Any London-based RAWKites who are interested to know more about World Cleanup Day, this is a perfect opportunity to get involved!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212354183469739&set=gm.945625822261237&type=3&theater&ifg=1

WEDNESDAY FEB 28TH - HOLBORN - STRATEGY MEETING
https://www.facebook.com/events/339199106567792/?ti=cl

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:38:28 pm by 24/7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 6, 2018, 01:49:12 pm »
Anyone near Putney on the 10th?

https://www.facebook.com/events/429729504147893/

Public Meeting on the Putney Plastic PledgeJoin the Putney Plastic Pledge - Public Meeting 10 March at 10am at St Mary's Church, Putney

This Saturday, I'm kicking off a community project to help us work together locally to move towards a plastic free Putney. I’m setting up a working group of residents, schools, shops, businesses and community groups who can work across our community to get simple ideas to help cut plastic use happening in Putney. Really the more people that get involved, the bigger difference we can make. I’m hosting a kick-off meeting on Saturday, 10th of March at 10am at St Mary’s Church on Putney High Street.

Getting involved in the Putney Plastic Pledge is really simple. I’m asking people, shops and businesses and schools to make the Putney Plastic Pledge - it just means you’ve committed to trying to reduce your own home or organisation’s plastic usage and are taking some steps towards doing that. Basically, it’s about getting us all moving in the same direction. Even doing a little bit better in all of our homes, workplaces and shops could add up to a big difference. If you’re a resident, design your own logo and put a sign in the window to say you’re on board! Or if you’re an employer, do the same, but let me know if you’re making the Putney Plastic Pledge and I’ll add you to my list of local employers who are signed up.

It'd be great to see loads of people involved - especially by Boat Race weekend in a fortnight, and by sharing our ideas on cutting down on plastic we can make it easier and also do better.

If you'd like to be involved, either come along to my kick off meeting this Saturday, or just drop me a line or give my office a call, and I'll keep you in the loop once things get kicked off.

Best wishes,

Justine Greening MP*

(* an important note - given you all probably know my personal politics, I put these aside when it comes to LDIW - we are apolitical, non-partisan and all-inclusive - I know Greening is a Tory but she is also the former Secretary of State for Education and is therefore very well connected. Like it or not, we will need politicians to take this up, as it lends credibility to the issues at stake - our role as an NGO is to influence policy makers - and principally our ultimate aim is to put ourselves out of business as by definition no longer necessary - just wanted to point that out - thanks.)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 6, 2018, 01:51:39 pm »
In other news, I have had a few people express interest in getting involved at their local and national levels, both in the UK and elsewhere.

Away from RAWK, I have a few members of the Sikh communities in Leicester and Ludhiana take up the baton to help me set up things in India.

I still need people to step up though, especially in the south (Bengaluru) and Kolkata and Delhi.

Also, I'm not getting much traction stateside - any US Reds willing to take up a role in promoting LDIW and World Cleanup Day? Please do get in touch!

I'll place you in direct contact with the people running the teams in either country.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 7, 2018, 11:23:39 am »
https://www.facebook.com/worldcleanupday2018/videos/2027642397276106/

World Cleanup Day In A Nutshell - nice little animation....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wW0JOx93Q5Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wW0JOx93Q5Y</a>
« Last Edit: March 8, 2018, 04:17:05 pm by 24/7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 7, 2018, 12:37:42 pm »
If that one didn't hit the right notes, maybe this one can:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7pHW3KEP5HU&amp;app=desktop" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7pHW3KEP5HU&amp;app=desktop</a>

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 9, 2018, 09:11:26 am »
What is happening in Newcastle/Gateshead/Tyneside Jim?

I work Saturdays, every Saturday but my Da is well up for spending that day cleaning up/picking up litter.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 9, 2018, 09:25:25 am »
What is happening in Newcastle/Gateshead/Tyneside Jim?

I work Saturdays, every Saturday but my Da is well up for spending that day cleaning up/picking up litter.
Nothing specific that I know of Paul but I will ask. If there is no specific POC in the NE, would you be willing to step up and coordinate locally? I could put you in direct touch with the national team.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 9, 2018, 11:08:11 am »
https://www.facebook.com/WorldCleanupDayIndia/

India has its own page now - please, get involved :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2018, 08:38:36 am »
Download the trash app today!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teeme.ldi&hl=en

https://worldcleanupday.org/map-it/

SEE IT, MAP IT, BAG IT, MOVE IT, LEARN!

Contribute to the world's first global trashpoint data collection exercise.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:41:59 am by 24/7 »

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2018, 08:47:08 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/WorldCleanupDayIndia/photos/a.1998100603773339.1073741829.1992131761036890/1998100577106675/?type=3&theater

Powerful.

I'm wondering about something here.

Since the Government started charging us 5p for a carrier bag they must be getting a lot of money out of us, so what are they doing with it?

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2018, 09:06:52 pm »
I'm wondering about something here.

Since the Government started charging us 5p for a carrier bag they must be getting a lot of money out of us, so what are they doing with it?

The government isn't charging you, they mandate that businesses must do so.

All the big retailers give the money to charities or good causes. Not sure about England but in Scotland this isn't mandatory by law but I think was agreed beforehand with the likes of the big supermarkets.

https://www.mygov.scot/carrier-bag-charge/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:08:30 pm by elmo_swatloski »

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: April 9, 2018, 03:19:46 pm »
Download the trash app today!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teeme.ldi&hl=en

https://worldcleanupday.org/map-it/

SEE IT, MAP IT, BAG IT, MOVE IT, LEARN!

Contribute to the world's first global trashpoint data collection exercise.

This is excellent stuff.  Thank you
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: April 9, 2018, 04:38:56 pm »
This is excellent stuff.  Thank you
Welcome! How would you like to arrange a local pilot mapping scheme involving say 10 or 20 mates or a local youth movement like Scouts or Cadets? Or your old school/college? It's a great way to publicise the Cleanup Day concept in a practical way and it would contribute to the overall mapping exercise.

That in fact goes for anyone, anywhere in the world! If you want to do something like that, give me a shout and I'll put you in touch with your local Country Leader....

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: April 9, 2018, 06:34:21 pm »
Certainly.  I'm in USA.  Thanks for offering
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 01:36:28 pm »
Hi Jim,

I sent an email last week to 2018wcud@jciuk.org.uk (from https://www.letsdoitworld.org/country/united-kingdom/) to see about anything happening in Northern Ireland. Hadn't received anything back so checked my spam and found an undeliverable message saying the address does not exist? There's another one there, katrin.kurg@letsdoitworld.org, do you know if she is part of the UK team too?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2018, 01:40:05 pm »
Hi Jim,

I sent an email last week to 2018wcud@jciuk.org.uk (from https://www.letsdoitworld.org/country/united-kingdom/) to see about anything happening in Northern Ireland. Hadn't received anything back so checked my spam and found an undeliverable message saying the address does not exist? There's another one there, katrin.kurg@letsdoitworld.org, do you know if she is part of the UK team too?
That's a JCI address, they're a working partner and usually very active.

Katrin is a good friend now. Let me raise this with the team today at monthly meeting. There is a very active team in Dublin. I will ask them if they have any cross border cooperation.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:42:26 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 01:47:41 pm »
That's a JCI address, they're a working partner and usually very active.

Katrin is a good friend now. Let me raise this with the team today at monthly meeting. There is a very active team in Dublin. I will ask them if they have any cross border cooperation.

Cheers, just sent her an email there.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 01:53:53 pm »
Haha me too. We're currently doing webinars and monthly updates - Katrin will respond to you soon mate. Thanks for the heads up. I'm not directly connected to the UK team, I've got my hands full with USA, India and soon Australia (!)

My view though is that even a country like the UK would benefit from a regional model implementation, so we'd look for regional leaders - want to step up and be the NI rep if nobody else is already active in the area??
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:19:46 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2018, 03:41:31 pm »
What would that entail? I wouldn't be too hot at leading these things. I can follow instructions like a pro though  :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2018, 03:46:47 pm »
What would that entail? I wouldn't be too hot at leading these things. I can follow instructions like a pro though  :D
Pretty much the same skills as any Project Manager. You'd be setting the pace and communicating with working partners.....as well as helping to create a team.......you'd have lots of help/advice from a mentor.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2018, 07:04:04 pm »
PRESS RELEASE

60 days to go: Millions of volunteers in 150 countries will clean up the world in 24 hours

17th of July 2018

At World Cleanup Day, taking place on 15 September, 2018, millions of people in 150 countries will stand up against the global mismanaged waste problem by cleaning up roads, parks, beaches, forests, and riversides. Thousands of communities will act as one, creating a powerful ‘green wave’ spanning from New Zealand to Hawaii.

The aim of the World Cleanup Day is not just to move towards better waste handling, but also to raise awareness both locally and globally about the severity of the situation. And more importantly - to support and connect a new generation of community leaders ready to act together to find lasting solutions.

“Cleaning the beaches and public areas sounds like something that has already been done. But our mission is not to be cleaning, but to actually get rid of the waste, for good. Humans are the only species able to generate something that is not used by the rest of the ecosystem - waste. 80% of the plastic that floats today in our oceans, has come from the land, so we need to start there by working hand-in-hand with local communities,” says Heidi Solba, one of the leaders of the Let’s Do It movement and part of the World Cleanup Day organising team.

World Cleanup Day is civic action driven by determined people and empowered by technology. During the lead-up to 15 September, the global community is using technology to map the locations, amounts, and types of waste that needs to be cleaned up and managed. The World Cleanup app enables anyone to quickly map the waste in their neighbourhood, creating valuable data for cleanup organisers and visualising the mismanaged waste problem on both local and global level. The app also lets users create a cleanup event in a certain area for 15 September, making them responsible for preparing and executing the specific event, including finding the best way to manage the collected waste. The challenge of taking care of the collected waste on 15 September is huge, especially in places without a waste management system in place.

Waste that is created in the streets too often ends up in our oceans. It is estimated that 80% of the waste floating around in oceans is mismanaged waste carried to the sea through our beaches and waterways. Therefore, working together on land with local leaders, governments, and organisations is the first urgent step in protecting the nature in both water and on land.

The organiser of World Cleanup Day is a civic-led mass movement Let’s Do It World! The movement was born in Estonia in 2008 when 50 000 people cleaned up the entire country in just five hours. Since then, the action model—one country in one day—has spread around the world, creating one of the fastest-growing grass root movements in history. To date, nearly 140 countries and 20 million people have already joined the efforts to clean up illegal waste in their neighbourhoods.

The year 2018 marks 100 years since the founding of the Republic of Estonia. World Cleanup Day 2018 is Estonia’s biggest gift to the world on its 100th anniversary. More information about the centenary events can be found at www.EV100.ee.

The not-so-fun facts:

●            Almost half of the plastic existing today, has been produced during the last 15 years. (National Geographic, June 2018)

●            Plastic debris tends to accumulate at the centre of ocean gyres. The North Pacific Gyre, for example, has collected the so-called "Great Pacific Garbage Patch", which is now estimated to be about three times the size of France (approximately from 700,000 to 1,6 million km2).

●            Every year 4,8-12,7 million tonnes of plastic finds its way into our oceans from the coastal areas and riverways. That is 15 bags filled with plastic waste per every meter for all the coastal lines in the world. If all this waste was put on lined up trucks, the line would stretch around the world 24 times. (Jemma Jambeck, University of Georgia, 2015)

●            That also equals dumping the contents of one garbage truck into the ocean every minute. If no action is taken, this is expected to increase to two per minute by 2030 and four per minute by 2050. (Ellen MacArthur Foundation report, 2016

●            From all the plastic ever made, only 9% has been recycled. (Jemma Jambeck, National Geographic, 2018)

●            More than 3.5 billion people do not have access to the most elementary waste management services (ISWA, Globalization and Waste Management, 2012)

More information: www.worldcleanupday.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/worldcleanupday2018/

Tiina Urm, Head of Communication
Ph. +372 53000515
E-mail: tiina.urm@letsdoitworld.org

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2018, 04:29:44 pm »
50 days to go.

This wasn't get any traffic really in News & Current Affairs and I think it's too important a question to sit there without visibility.

So I've moved it into here - if it continues to bomb, then at least I tried :wave

News from me - Oceania is increasing in presence, esp Australia - but we still need a leader in New Zealand! Anyone??

India is now live! Anyone here from, or with good connections to, India want to know more? I now have someone to direct you to :wave

USA is increasing its team of volunteers and experts, as well as corporate backings and partnerships! Let me know if you want to get involved, at any level.........some very exciting things are happening there...........

Doing Gets It Done. Who's in? :wave

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2018, 07:05:33 pm »
I’ve made a trashpoint in my local area for a small wood. It’s not massively untidy but there’s still some small bits of rubbish.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2018, 08:16:26 pm »
I’ve made a trashpoint in my local area for a small wood. It’s not massively untidy but there’s still some small bits of rubbish.
Every journey starts with a single step - thanks for doing that. Maybe consider getting a local group (5 a side footie team? School teachers/kids? Work colleagues? Knitting and Crochet Society?) out one evening together and mapping a whole area like a village or a few streets?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2018, 08:54:51 pm »
Every journey starts with a single step - thanks for doing that. Maybe consider getting a local group (5 a side footie team? School teachers/kids? Work colleagues? Knitting and Crochet Society?) out one evening together and mapping a whole area like a village or a few streets?

You're welcome and yeah. There's a few places around here that could do with the rubbish being cleared.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 09:21:23 pm »
You're welcome and yeah. There's a few places around here that could do with the rubbish being cleared.
See it, map it........then organise a few people to bag it...........then we all learn from it........

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2018, 10:59:07 pm »
I'm currently based in Mumbai, India. My girlfriend works in the Chief Ministers Office here in Mumbai. She will be finishing her fellowship next week, though she has plenty of contacts. One of her colleagues in her department was actually heavily involved in the recent plastic ban that has been rolled out here just last month.

Give me a shout if you want to know anything. Maybe she can help.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2018, 07:35:25 am »
I'm currently based in Mumbai, India. My girlfriend works in the Chief Ministers Office here in Mumbai. She will be finishing her fellowship next week, though she has plenty of contacts. One of her colleagues in her department was actually heavily involved in the recent plastic ban that has been rolled out here just last month.

Give me a shout if you want to know anything. Maybe she can help.

Deano that's ace! Our primary partner for India is also based in Mumbai and I think linking them will be a great idea. Reach me on the email address I'll PM you :wave

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2018, 12:13:31 pm »
RAWKITES,

We need more people everywhere, don’t be shy; please contact 24/7 and he’ll put you in touch with people out there who are prepared to help and support your local area. Let’s go RAWK, join and let’s send a good message to the world.

YNWA
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2018, 02:08:09 pm »
Deano that's ace! Our primary partner for India is also based in Mumbai and I think linking them will be a great idea. Reach me on the email address I'll PM you :wave

No worries, mate. I'll pass the email address on to her tonight or tomorrow when I see her.

On the topic, there used to be a fella here who inspired a group of volunteers to go around Versova beach, collecting the rubbish that was littered all along the beach. A fine job they done too. I remember visiting the beach last year and being pleasantly surprised at the condition of the beach. I visited it again in June and it was in an appalling state - you could barely move a foot without there being some form of rubbish.  He had suspended the volunteering efforts due to being discontent with a few things.

Sadly, here its a massive cultural issue. People think its fine to throw rubbish around, I'm assuming since there already is so much rubbish around, which is poor logic. Rubbish that isn't littered on the street or elsewhere, otherwise, is usually burned. From what I can see, it has to change here from top to bottom. The plastic ban is a good start, though much more has to be done to make any kind of long lasting progress. There has to be more facilities for recycling to begin with. Of course, the general populations mentality has to change too, though the facilities need to be in place to allow this to happen.

I've only spent around 6 months in Mumbai in total (longer in India), so maybe someone who is from here or spent longer here can chime in , though this is what I've gathered in my time here.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »
You're talking about Afroz Shah and we're trying to tie in with him. He's awe-inspiring. Our main partner - AIESEC India - is close to him.

https://www.facebook.com/afroz.shah.984

Versova - better than that, this year turtles returned to the beach to lay eggs for the first time in over 20 years :D

Culture - yes, I was there for almost two years - it's bit chicken and egg though - people got used to trashing cos there was either nowhere else to put it or even when there was, there was nobody taking it away and everyone just got used to it.

We call this 'trash blindness' and it's by far a problem unique to India - it's everywhere.......

So WCD is a vehicle for change - it's not the end destination by any means - we're working on sustainable solutions - globally - for a Zero Waste Planet.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:19:07 pm by 24/7 »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2018, 09:24:59 pm »
"Since the first national cleanup in Estonia in 2008, the Let’s Do It! Movement has grown to now include over 150 countries. World Cleanup Day on 15th of September will be an epic day when months of hard work and preparation will peak. The whole operation will be led from Tallinn, Estonia. There will be an international media centre, a 24-hour broadcast and teams supporting country teams.

Here are the main areas we need help in:

➡️ Communication with international media (bonus if you know a couple of languages)
➡️ Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram are our main channels)
➡️ Writing press releases, social media posts and website articles
➡️ Graphic design
➡️ Video and photography
➡️ IT (we will build a call centre and temporary office for the day)
➡️ Administration (anything from welcoming guests to getting coffee)

If you want to be involved on the day and make history with us, please send your interest along with which team you would like to be involved in to anna.mikitjuk@gmail.com. Relevant teams will then get in touch with you. Find out more on worldcleanupday.org"

#WorldCleanupDay #Estonia100