Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 72140 times)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2011, 03:13:02 pm »
I dont have a 'kindle' but i hear these sites have FREE books to download for em ?.. prob have to sign up ect...  Hope it helps some of yer ..  8)
(dont shoot me if i'm wrong)  ..  ..   :-*

www.openlibrary.org
www.feedbooks.com
www.manybooks.net
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2011, 06:31:25 pm »
Mine arrived today....just opened it a little while ago and am impressed. Browser isn't half bad too
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #202 on: July 2, 2011, 03:05:02 pm »
Got mine today, absolutely brilliant so far, the screen is a thing of beauty :D

I've been hunting for books online but not getting much joy, anyone recommend any sites that have a good selection? ta.

Don't forget to check Amazon's free books - Top 100 here (list on the right) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/341689031/

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 2, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »
Definitely a brilliant purchase this. Got around 20 books downloaded that I'd had on my Amazon wish list for a while and would have cost all together around £40-50 quid. Only paid £2.70 so far. The built in dictionary is also so convenient. Anyone who loves to read should get a Kindle.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #204 on: July 2, 2011, 09:16:06 pm »
I can't afford one of these at the minute but definitely looking to get one soon.

My mum loves hers.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 3, 2011, 09:45:19 pm »
Google the name of your book plus the word 'mobi'.
Take a look at this forum http://bolt.cd/board/19/ebooks

There's quite a lot on there in various formats. Use Calibre to convert them to whatever other format you want.
Don't forget to check Amazon's free books - Top 100 here (list on the right) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/digital-text/341689031/

Ta everyone. Got quite a few now to get me started.

Spent most of the day sitting out in the garden reading, the screen works brilliantly in bright sunshine and while wearing shades. Love it.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #206 on: July 3, 2011, 11:35:24 pm »
I had a problem with the the thing freezing up, which is a pain in the arse when you're on a long flight/journey with nothing else to read, apparently it's something to do with the cover ? Amazon are going to replace it with  a new cover that doesn't cause the problem.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 4, 2011, 09:27:47 am »
Gave my girlfriend one yesterday for her birthday. She loves it, though I think I may have more 'me time' now, she's not put it down since.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #208 on: July 4, 2011, 10:08:14 am »
Great isn't it! Did the same for my missus birthday

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 6, 2011, 09:05:51 am »
Found this about setting your collections on the Kindle:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118635

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 6, 2011, 10:06:48 am »
While mooching around the 'free' sites last night I found some brilliant downloads that had authors entire works in one handy file. Brilliant.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2011, 10:08:19 am by Rusty Oysterburger »

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #211 on: July 6, 2011, 10:29:48 am »
While mooching around the 'free' sites last night I found some brilliant downloads that had authors entire works in one handy file. Brilliant.

and...............................link :P

Offline Mavis Cruet

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welsh Wool
« Reply #212 on: July 6, 2011, 10:45:35 am »

Indeed, spill .....

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #213 on: July 6, 2011, 11:14:47 am »
Yeah don't leave us hanging, I need to stock up some holiday reading

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 6, 2011, 11:16:30 am »
If anyone want's any *cough* review version's of Kindle book's related to Liverpool FC, pm me with your email.

Just found this: http://bolt.cd/board/ebooks/585254-soccer-books-thread.html
« Last Edit: July 6, 2011, 11:33:09 am by JoeH »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 6, 2011, 03:30:04 pm »

:D Im at work now so I don't have them but I'm pretty sure it was on Pirate Bay or that Bolt.cd site, just have a search for the author's name. I got one for Peter F. Hamilton, hopin to find some more.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 6, 2011, 03:57:46 pm »
:D Im at work now so I don't have them but I'm pretty sure it was on Pirate Bay or that Bolt.cd site, just have a search for the author's name. I got one for Peter F. Hamilton, hopin to find some more.

i'd avoid pitate bay if you're using torrents :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 6, 2011, 04:56:36 pm »

I don't normally go on there to be honest, much prefer the like of Rapidshare, think it popped up during search for something.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2011, 09:18:49 pm »
There's still the issue of no page numbers for me. I know Amazon have added page numbers for hundreds of books but I have the 3.1 version kindle and when you click 'menu' it's meant to come up with page numbers by the 'percentage' yet I haven't had any page numbers come up for the 10 or so books I've put on there so far. Will Amazon just add an upgrade that has page numbers for every single book you put on there? I can't see why that would be too complicated or is there something I haven't downloaded yet?

Cheers.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:17 pm »
Thinking of getting one of these, mainly for the purpose of buying textbooks through it for Uni. Would such books be available on it?
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:49 am »
Thinking of getting one of these, mainly for the purpose of buying textbooks through it for Uni. Would such books be available on it?

i'm not sure about text-book content on the kindle store, but are you talking about the type of textbooks that have pictures, diagrams, figures in them? the kindle screen is great for text but not so hot displaying images...

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2011, 03:27:57 pm »
Just bought one of these for my mum but can't figure out the best place to get books from.I've looked on our local library website and the download in Adobe e-pub format.Is that compatible or do i have to download something first.She reads about 2-3 books a week so need some free places to download from.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2011, 03:37:42 pm »
Just bought one of these for my mum but can't figure out the best place to get books from.I've looked on our local library website and the download in Adobe e-pub format.Is that compatible or do i have to download something first.She reads about 2-3 books a week so need some free places to download from.

Calibre handles all of you format conversions. It is also good at producing mini-newspapers / periodicals.

From memory epub needs to be converted pdf and mobi will work natively.

A good starting point is Project Gutenberg.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2011, 04:06:43 pm »
Jailbroke mine at the weekend and have got some kickass screensavers on it now. Ta-ra Agatha Christie.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »
Thinking of getting one for the wife's birthday and not sure whether to get the cheaper wi-fi or the more expensive 3G.

Is this correct :

w-fi Kindle -  connects like normal laptop allowing you to connect to the internet from any hotspot e.g Starbucks, McNasties

whereas

3G Kindle - means you can do the same but from anywhere e.g. middle of a field where there are no hotspots
     - PLUS with the 3G you get connecting via wi-fi as above

Serious question - why would I pay £40 more for the 3G ?

Thanks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 22, 2011, 07:08:12 pm »

Thanks

there are millions of daft people :)

yeah wifi kindle connects to router like laptop :)

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 22, 2011, 10:00:42 pm »
Jailbroke mine at the weekend and have got some kickass screensavers on it now. Ta-ra Agatha Christie.
Got a link to that?

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2011, 10:10:29 pm »

Ever go on away with a book to read. Well what if you finish the book and want another. And those times on holiday if yuo want to use the net...it's free. Which means you dont have to pay some stupid amount at the hotel or use some dodgy foreign net cafe

Or even when you're just on the train and you want to check the news/weather...etc
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »
Seriously love mine, use it every day and its saved me an absolute fortune in books, it's a bargain when you look at it like that. Found myself reading a lot more than I used to as well.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:22:02 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #229 on: September 22, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »
Thinking of getting one for the wife's birthday and not sure whether to get the cheaper wi-fi or the more expensive 3G.

Is this correct :

w-fi Kindle -  connects like normal laptop allowing you to connect to the internet from any hotspot e.g Starbucks, McNasties

whereas

3G Kindle - means you can do the same but from anywhere e.g. middle of a field where there are no hotspots

Thanks

Useful when not near hotspot. 3G connection is free.

I used the 3G several times on holiday this summer as no wifi nearly everywhere I went. Works well. Worth the extra £40 I think.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #230 on: September 22, 2011, 11:09:07 pm »
Yup. He's kinda answered his own question "3G Kindle - means you can do the same but from anywhere e.g. middle of a field where there are no hotspots"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 22, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
or you could just buy £40 of books and download etc when near one...BTOpenzone should work and thats all over the place

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2011, 07:53:59 am »
or you could just buy £40 of books and download etc when near one...BTOpenzone should work and thats all over the place

How long will those 40 quid last you..it's free 3g forever. Also when's the last time you found a BT hotspot when in not in the country

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2011, 11:14:10 am »
Find plenty of wifi abroad tho.
I'm another who doesn't see the point in 3G on it. Before we went away I put loads of books on the missus' kindle anyway

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2011, 11:14:39 am »
Plus I don't buy things from the kindle store anyway, easy enough to find books for free

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2011, 11:26:02 am »
Plus I don't buy things from the kindle store anyway, easy enough to find books for free

true...not payed for a book yet :/ yes i am a bad person

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:50 pm »
Oh, and I don't tend to buy many books either. The only ones that spring to mind are Brian Reade's LFC one and a few indie authors where I only paid 69p - I like to support them.

Off on holiday next week so will be loading it up with plenty of different genres. Are W-BB and bold.cd still the best places to get up-to-date titles?

On the 3G front, I don't think it's worth it. A lot of phones permit tethering these days so I do it that way if I'm desperate to get something. Otherwise, loads of places offer free wifi.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2011, 12:25:12 pm »

why avoid pirate bay? *gulp*  :P

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2011, 12:26:49 pm »

Is this correct :

whereas

Thanks

if you ever go abroad  defo go for the 3g version

the 'free' internet via 3g is worth its weight in gold - football sites/scores, bbc, weather, twitter, facebook all direct without the hassle of wifi hotspots