Author Topic: County Cricket  (Read 44080 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: County Championship 2021
« Reply #280 on: November 4, 2021, 07:03:15 pm »
he's been fairly active on twitter.

actually I misread that. I'd imagine Rashid is concentrating on what he's doing out in the uae.

Fair do’s, and yes, a lot to concentrate on at the moment for him.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: November 4, 2021, 07:57:04 pm »
Great to see whats happened the last 48 hours, the glee of Yorkshire CCC with that statement was disgusting, great to see the spotlight on them and everyone connected with them abandoning them, i picture the head honchos at the CC are all in their 70's & 80's wearing tweed caps.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #282 on: November 4, 2021, 08:39:18 pm »
Any word from Boycott or Vaughan yet.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #284 on: November 4, 2021, 10:03:20 pm »
I am actually astonished just how badly Yorkshire have dealt with this in the past 2 months. Even if you put what has (or hasn't) happened to Rafiq to one side, how incredibly arrogant and insane must you be to order an independent report, then try to bury it when it paints you in a bad light.

The only thing they could've done is accepted they were wrong and try and limit the damage. The damaged is 100 times worse now.

I doubt any of the board will still in place after the commitee hearing.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: November 4, 2021, 10:14:42 pm »
It reflects really badly on the Yorkshire coaching team and higher-ups. They let that "lad banter :puke2" culture breed through the team. Players can be thick but surely the coaching staff are most responsible for setting the culture.

People talk about PC gone mad, but if you don't have strict professional and anti-racism standards at workplaces then they can become quite hostile for people.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: November 5, 2021, 08:21:27 am »
Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton resigns in racism probe fallout, bemoans ECB 'reluctance to act' earlier

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/yorkshire-chairman-roger-hutton-resigns-in-racism-probe-fallout-bemoans-ecb-reluctance-to-act-earlier-1287604

First of many resignations I imagine. Nike have also binned Yorkshire 6 months into a 4 year kit sponsorship deal.

Soon as they had the audacity to try and sneak that pathetic and shameful statement out on the day that England Vs India test was postponed it was pretty clear something was amiss.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2021, 08:30:07 am by CheshireDave »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #287 on: November 5, 2021, 09:41:16 am »
Any word from Boycott or Vaughan yet.

Not surprised to see Vaughan implicated in some way. He was on Twitter a couple of years ago suggesting that in his spare time, Moeen Ali should be asking random Muslims if they are terrorists. He's a rent-a-gob, backward, retrograde gobshite.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #288 on: November 5, 2021, 09:48:34 am »
Vaughan is a tit.

And it's typical that the only person to have resigned doesn't seem to be part of the problem.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #289 on: November 5, 2021, 09:50:38 am »
Wonder what Rashid makes of it? Has he spoken out on the issue at all?

A lot of sports teams go into complete media lockdown for things like World Cups, so he might not even be aware of it at the moment. If he is it will be at the back of his mind until the tournaments over.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #290 on: November 5, 2021, 09:58:00 am »
A lot of sports teams go into complete media lockdown for things like World Cups, so he might not even be aware of it at the moment. If he is it will be at the back of his mind until the tournaments over.

I find it interesting though that Rafiq named the other players regarding the comment Vaughan supposedly made. It suggests he's confident they'll corroborate it.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: November 5, 2021, 10:12:11 am »
Not surprised to see Vaughan implicated in some way. He was on Twitter a couple of years ago suggesting that in his spare time, Moeen Ali should be asking random Muslims if they are terrorists. He's a rent-a-gob, backward, retrograde gobshite.

There seems, to me at least, to be such a disconnect between Michael Vaughan the captain/senior player of the England cricket team, and Michael Vaughan the person.

As a captain, and even now when you hear him talk about his time as captain and under Fletcher, he’s very measured, thoughtful, seems to have good instincts, speaks and comes across well. You hear others speak very highly of him in that regard as well.

Then you hear him talk about almost anything else and he’s some knee jerk reactionary who doesn’t appear to engage his brain, even though he seems to be perfectly capable of doing so.  I find it really quite strange.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #292 on: November 5, 2021, 10:24:53 am »
Vaughan is fucked.

Former Yorkshire player Rana Naved-ul-Hasan says he heard Vaughan's racist comments
Rana has reiterated his preparedness to provide evidence to any enquiry as required

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: November 5, 2021, 10:37:59 am »
Michael Vaughn “Vaughny” making a living appearing in ads and all things bbc, is fucked. No coming back from this. His only option is to deny.

There”ll be a few of the “bants” lads bricking it this morning in case they’re in the report.

Online dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #294 on: November 5, 2021, 10:51:50 am »
I've always found Vaughan to be quite a dullard anyway. No loss if he's no longer a pundit because of this as far as I'm concerned.
Wonder how many other current or ex players are going to be implicated in this.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: November 5, 2021, 10:58:16 am »
I've always found Vaughan to be quite a dullard anyway. No loss if he's no longer a pundit because of this as far as I'm concerned.
Wonder how many other current or ex players are going to be implicated in this.

I wouldn’t have thought there’d be many current players knocking about from that era - sounds like it was senior pros dishing it out.

That said - Yorkshire are implicated in this because he spoke out. Let’s not pretend similar won’t have happened at other counties.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #296 on: November 5, 2021, 11:24:38 am »
Michael Vaughn “Vaughny” making a living appearing in ads and all things bbc, is fucked. No coming back from this. His only option is to deny.

There”ll be a few of the “bants” lads bricking it this morning in case they’re in the report.

Sadly, denial is part of the problem. I'd rather he owned up and apologised and we can start to fix things and yes, he could still come back from this as Robinson as done.

It is a good thing that Ballance has owned up. It's insane that he, as an existing player has not been disciplined but at the same time I do get the whole "bants" angle and have been in similar conversations with friends in the past (I'm brown btw)

Jurgen said something along the lines of "we've all said things 20 years ago that are not cool now". That even extends to things that may not have been cool then either.

The words/jokes/bants or whatever you call it are usually minor issues but they become bigger when they are just a symptom of wider issues such as glass ceilings or other barriers being put in front of you.

Had Vaughan said that to me, I would've laughed it off, but if I was being constantly being reminded I was different and also overlooked profressionally then I would too think there was a problem.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: November 5, 2021, 11:32:29 am »
There seems, to me at least, to be such a disconnect between Michael Vaughan the captain/senior player of the England cricket team, and Michael Vaughan the person.

As a captain, and even now when you hear him talk about his time as captain and under Fletcher, he’s very measured, thoughtful, seems to have good instincts, speaks and comes across well. You hear others speak very highly of him in that regard as well.

Then you hear him talk about almost anything else and he’s some knee jerk reactionary who doesn’t appear to engage his brain, even though he seems to be perfectly capable of doing so.  I find it really quite strange.

That is something ive found with him as captain he was superb and he spoke well to the media.

I thought he would make a good pundit but he isnt he spends his time winding people up where Nasser another good captain he is different level absolutely superb broadcaster.

Vaughan has gone down the Robbie Savage wind up route in the media when as we know he didnt need to.

His days on the BBC will likely be over soon.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #298 on: November 5, 2021, 12:01:39 pm »
Interesting you mention Savage, he and Vaughan are mates I think.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: November 5, 2021, 04:12:53 pm »
Sadly, denial is part of the problem. I'd rather he owned up and apologised and we can start to fix things and yes, he could still come back from this as Robinson as done.

Robinson was a 16-18 year old lad when he did his tweets - Vaughan was a former England captain in his mid-30s. One is more easy to defend as youthful ignorance.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #300 on: November 5, 2021, 04:51:26 pm »
This is sad, in my friend group of British Asians, I'm the only one who supports England, the rest even though born and bred in England all support India or Pakistan. Today, they are all saying things along the lines of 'see we'll never be accepted, better to support the "homeland" '. Quite a few of these guys played club cricket in Lancashire and none of them experienced racism there, this solidifies their view that England is just a second team to the country which they are 2 generations departed from.

For me the players who've broken the mould and got into the England team are legends for myself, I love the fact that Ali and Rashid and the ones before them played for England, British Asians are underrepresented in sport (I don't want any proactive discrimination to change that trend - a lot of it is to do with sport within our cultures), stuff like this isnt going to help change that.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2021, 04:52:58 pm by scatman »
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: November 5, 2021, 05:46:37 pm »
Vaughan should've been pulled up on his moeen Ali tweet ages ago. He's made a few crass comments in twitter over thr years
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #302 on: November 5, 2021, 06:07:25 pm »
Vaughan should've been pulled up on his moeen Ali tweet ages ago. He's made a few crass comments in twitter over thr years

They are all getting dug up and reposted right now. Doesn’t look good for him.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: November 5, 2021, 06:13:46 pm »

He’s racist, that simple in my view. He’s said some horrendous stuff on social media and I 100% believe the allegations levelled at him, he’s got form for it. 

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: November 5, 2021, 07:53:47 pm »
“Vaughny ” won’t be on the bbc Monday night cricket show with “tuffers” .
Hopefully the rest of his employers boot him out. He can pay for his bravado where it hurts.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: November 5, 2021, 08:08:14 pm »
Yep, he’s toast. His Experian rating right now on a par with Yorkshire CC.

All ‘bantz’ though Michael eh? Course it was   :wave :wave

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #306 on: November 5, 2021, 08:13:02 pm »
Yep, he’s toast. His Experian rating right now on a par with Yorkshire CC.

All ‘bantz’ though Michael eh? Course it was   :wave :wave

He has a lifestyle to maintain. He’ll probably lurch even more to the shock jock side of things and accept a role at GB News or even worse, an Australian broadcaster.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: November 5, 2021, 11:02:23 pm »

It is a good thing that Ballance has owned up. It's insane that he, as an existing player has not been disciplined but at the same time I do get the whole "bants" angle and have been in similar conversations with friends in the past (I'm brown btw)

If my reading of what was said is accurate, then you would need to discipline both sides and that isn't gonna fly, especially nowadays,  disciplining people for racist speech is pretty much a 1 way street

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #308 on: November 6, 2021, 09:41:09 am »
Agnew speaking brilliantly on crickets failure to embrace ethnic minorities on BBC breakfast this morning.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #309 on: November 6, 2021, 10:06:37 am »
Agnew speaking brilliantly on crickets failure to embrace ethnic minorities on BBC breakfast this morning.

I’ll have to dig that out. Purely numbers wise I thought there were a decent amount of English born Asian cricketers in the county game but is that not the case? Probably not when compared to the numbers playing club cricket at a decent level.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #310 on: November 6, 2021, 10:10:34 am »
I’ll have to dig that out. Purely numbers wise I thought there were a decent amount of English born Asian cricketers in the county game but is that not the case? Probably not when compared to the numbers playing club cricket at a decent level.
He was pointing out how few Asian cricketers played for Leicestershire when Leicester had such a high Asian population.  He also pointed out that 35% of kids cricketers are Asian …where do they go?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: November 6, 2021, 10:24:41 am »
He was pointing out how few Asian cricketers played for Leicestershire when Leicester had such a high Asian population.  He also pointed out that 35% of kids cricketers are Asian …where do they go?

Someone was on radio yesterday, I think he works for bbc asia, said when he and 2 other Asian lads were playing youth cricket they were always in positions 9 10 and 11. Even though they were the best batsmen with the best averages.
It’s like sticking your best striker on the bench because he’s black. If we thought football is bad, cricket still belongs to the days when Eton ruled India.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #312 on: November 6, 2021, 03:20:09 pm »
Robinson was a 16-18 year old lad when he did his tweets - Vaughan was a former England captain in his mid-30s. One is more easy to defend as youthful ignorance.
not equating the situations more the point that as long as people can be honest and accept they have said stupid things in the past, the process of making thing better can begin.

Sometimes the only way is to educate ignorant comments and keep focused on the real issues which are the structural bias and cultures that allow that bias to remain in place

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #313 on: November 6, 2021, 08:24:52 pm »
our parents actively tried to stop us playing sports even if we were good at it. One of the best footballers I've seen or played with had his parents dismiss approaches from Man Utd as they expected him to go to university and study accounting to eventually take over his father's accountancy firm. That's hopefully now changed as people my age actively seem to be encouraging their children to take up sports, there's a few friends of mine who have their sons and daughters playing in football and cricket teams, i hope some of them are good enough to make it. My cousin sister plays for Middlesex county and did a stint in India too!
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #314 on: November 8, 2021, 06:21:57 pm »
Lord Patel’s presser was encouraging and very strongly worded - no weasel words, no prevarication.

Let’s hope the process he starts is thorough and that real changes occur.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: November 15, 2021, 09:11:11 am »

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #316 on: November 15, 2021, 09:16:57 am »
he can say something never happened as much as he likes but if 3 people all say it did, it probably did.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: November 15, 2021, 01:02:05 pm »
“It was just banter/you can’t say nuffin’ these days” interviews in The Express and on Talk Radio incoming I expect.

He’ll be sharing a pint with Frottage on his show by the end of next week and complaining of “cancel culture” despite never having been off the telly for two weeks.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #318 on: November 15, 2021, 01:28:01 pm »
he can say something never happened as much as he likes but if 3 people all say it did, it probably did.
Yup, and much harder to dismiss an England International. Think it's 10x worse when you are shown up as a liar.

Hope Root doesn't get dragged into this, but if he was truly unaware of issues that Rafiq has raised it probably highlights general ignorance around micro-aggressions and how unconscious bias or behaviours can affect minorities.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: November 15, 2021, 02:42:23 pm »
Yup, and much harder to dismiss an England International. Think it's 10x worse when you are shown up as a liar.

Hope Root doesn't get dragged into this, but if he was truly unaware of issues that Rafiq has raised it probably highlights general ignorance around micro-aggressions and how unconscious bias or behaviours can affect minorities.

There’s been a lot of snide comments from the hipster one at the Guardian aimed at Root in articles - so either there is something or be just doesn’t like him. He’s probably going to have to say more at some stage though. He grew up with the main protagonists and spent his formative years in those dressing rooms - and, unless it turns out he has said or done something (I’m sure he hasn’t) then he’s going to be central to reforming the culture. It’s about time people stopped pretending this was a Yorkshire only thing and realise it’s Yorkshire where the problem has been raised (and is probably the worst example). The ECB are going to have to take a lead on that and the England captain will need to lead by example.