Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - Atalanta v Liverpool - Europa League, Thurs 18 April @ 8pm  (Read 15691 times)

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain

Officials

Referee: Carlos del Cerro Grande (Spain)

Assistants: Juan Carlos Yuste (Spain) & Roberto Alonso Fernandes (Spain)

Fourth official: Josè Luis Munuera Montero (Spain)

VAR: Alejandro Hernandez (Spain)  Assistant VAR: Guillermo Cuadra Fernandez (Spain)

On May 1st 2019 I stepped of a plane from Spain and overheard someone saying that Barcelona had beaten us 3-0 in the Champions League. I was gutted to hear that but I immediately turned around to a friend and said that we would go through. Yes it was a bold statement to make especially when we were playing Barcelona who had Messi on their team. However I was confident that we could do it.

Roll the clock onto now and I am not so confident. I watched Atalanta man mark us and we didn't have an answer. I watched us giving their attackers miles of space when they were attacking. So on one hand they always had a defender within a yard of our players when we got the ball and on the other hand I saw us giving their players 10 yards of space. Scoring when you are tightly marked is very difficult but it's much easier when there's nobody near to you. Give any player 5 yards of space and they will hurt you.

Look at the space we gave each of their goal-scorers.

I don't remember us having that amount of space.

I thought we would have learnt but have just watched a similar match against Palace. They were defending touch-tight but on the goal we conceded we gave them yards of space. Yes we fluffed chance after chance but most of our chances were not as easy as the one that we gifted to them. Look at the space we gave Eze.

People rightly point out the chances that we missed but we also have to look at the way that we turn off and give the opposition so much time and space. I don't think we get the same time on the ball in and around the area.

Palace and Atalanta marked Mac Allister very closely which worked very well as he has been our best player. A lot of our attacks go through him so if you can keep him quiet then that nullifies a lot of our quick attacks. Mark our front players and our midfield and then we resort to aimless long punts from the keeper.

Crimson Tank pointed out in the writeup for the Palace match that football is a simple game. For me it's about marking players , finding space and passing accurately and quickly. Recently we have been doing nothing of the sort. Our passing has been slow, we have hidden and not offered ourselves and our marking has been atrocious at times.

In the space of a week we have drawn a league game against the worst United side that I have seen, lost a home game in the Europa League against a team that came for a draw and lost another league game at home against a team that was just above the relegation zone. The worst part of this was that we were top of the league at the time and also favourites for the Europa League.

You can blame it on injuries or tiredness but the simple truth is that we haven't been nearly good enough when it mattered. We had been very good prior to this week but we've suddenly found winning to be hard.

Ok so I'm being a bit negative but the way that we imploded hurts.......it really does. We have a great manager who has delivered us such great memories but we have just fallen like Devon Loch when the finishing line was in sight.

Ok so we can still win this game but it is going to be hard. We need to take our chances and not gift them any goals. We have turned around ties like this in the past and we do have the players to do so. Get an early goal and then another one in the first half and then suddenly the game looks much different. I expect Atalanta to try man-marking us again and if that doesn't work then they will try the low block. If we regain our confidence then this is still not over. Each of our players needs to win their individual battles and to take responsibility. The tie may look over but it really isn't.

The same applies to the league. It's not over but we need to give ourselves a wobble and turn round our poor form.

Sorry and feel free to tell me that I am being negative...........I normally am positive but the last three games have been awful.

Let's turn this season around and give the boss a proper send off.

#JFT97

Offline HullReD

• Main Stander
Didn't we beat them 5-0 at theirs a few seasons back? Lets try to emulate that and show that we have the fight still left in our stomach. We have nothing to lose have we so lets spoil their party. We can do this you red men.

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
Was thinking the same. We need a goal to make Atalanta think. It will help our confidence and then it's about finding the strength and courage to try for another. Our reputation proceeds us. So let's see

Offline WestieRed

• Main Stander
  • BELIEVER
Thanks Stockdam, I agree with you - the tie looks over but it’s really not! Whatever our issues, Atalanta would not have dreamed they would win as big as they did. It creates its own pressure and they may not be handle us. Especially if we turn up to play. Anyway what’s the point of being grumpy about the defeat now?

Early goal for us and they’ll implode!

4-0 to the Mighties!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 12:56:11 am by WestieRed »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
We can do this.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
A 3 goal margin victory, although unlikely, isn’t impossible by any means..
1-0 ahead at half time… would set up the 2nd half perfectly..
Not sure about how strong Klopp will go in light of the fixtures ahead, but our ‘ full/strong line up’ has let us down the last 2 games so a couple of youngsters thrown in may not be the worst thing.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They drew 2-2 at home to Verona yesterday evening after being 2-0 ahead. If we get the first, there may be no stopping us. We’re in awful form but the pressure is off in a sense, they say our days are numbered…
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
We've still been creating plenty chances recently, could do with heads not dropping and finishing going out way. We're certainly capable of scoring 3+

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Play runners.
All of them.

Alison
Gomez Quansah Van Dijk Robbo
Elliot Jones Gravenberch
Diaz Danns Gakpo

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Start with the first goal, don’t concede and take it from there. Just have some desire and intensity from minute one please.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Really good op thanks Stockdam, we are all doubters now, can we believe?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
Get an early goal to at least get a foothold in the tie and let's see what happens from there.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
Could be Klopps last european game for us. If that doesn't get the players fired up nothing will. Whatever the result go out there and do him proud ffs.
Football is a lie

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
I think Jota should start this one. I'd leave Nunez on the bench and maybe Diaz as well. Mo is in poor form but you'd still have him in a side where you need goals.

Diaz, Jota, Mo maybe. Or have Gakpo in there somewhere for Diaz.

Midfield I think Endo, Curtis and Sobozlai makes the most sense. Mac needs a rest. Wouldn't be against starting Trent in midfield though.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Can def still do this. Any lead at half time would be excellent then go from there.

Hopefully Endo is finally dropped, would be good if Trent and Diogo could start too.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Play runners.
All of them.

Alison
Gomez Quansah Van Dijk Robbo
Elliot Jones Gravenberch
Diaz Danns Gakpo

Trent starts for me then if we need runners.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Trent starts for me then if we need runners.

Fair point, yes.
Not sure if fit though.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
Kelleher

Trent Quansah Virg Robertson

Jones Mac

Elliott

Salah Gakpo Darwin

I'd go for this because:
1. They clearly targeted Endo as a weak link in the first leg and a single pivot just doesn't work against them so I'd have Jones and Mac sitting.
2. Konate, despite his experience,  is in terrible form so would rather play Quansah who's at least better on the ball.
3. Mo isn't in great form but he still has that fear factor that might force them back and neutralise their press.
4. I'd play Darwin on the wing as Trent's outball when the press because knocking it down the wing is more likely to be effective than booting it down the middle like we did in the first game.
5. Gakpo  and Elliott are playing too well not to get a start.

This lineup will neutralise their press a bit. 2-0 would have been easier to turn around by 3-0 is possible to overturn because the away goals rule has been scrapped. If it were still to be in place, it's would have been almost impossible.

We have enough in attack to win 4-1? But defensively we've lost confidence so don't see us keeping a clean sheet. Jurgen alluded to our lack of conviction after the last game. We play a very risky game and when we're not confident, we inadvertently our opponents too much space.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
3-0 is possible to overturn because the away goals rule has been scrapped. If it were still to be in place, it's would have been almost impossible.

Errr that makes no sense whatsoever, actually worse for us the rule isn't in place, 4-1 or 5-2 would have put us through in previous years now it'd be extra time.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
Errr that makes no sense whatsoever, actually worse for us the rule isn't in place, 4-1 or 5-2 would have put us through in previous years now it'd be extra time.
The opinion nitpicker is back.

Away goals used to be a psychological barrier. Hard to wrap your head around it right? Like I said the other day, I can't be having shallow, surface-level arguments.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:38:58 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
Obviously be great to turn it around but first and foremost a decent performance would be good going into the weekend.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Kelleher

Jones Mac

Elliott

Salah Gakpo Darwin

I'd go for this because:
1. They clearly targeted Endo as a weak link in the first leg and a single pivot just doesn't work against them so I'd have Jones and Mac sitting.
2. Konate, despite his experience,  is in terrible form so would rather play Quansah who's at least better on the ball.
3. Mo isn't in great form but he still has that fear factor that might force them back and neutralise their press.
4. I'd play Darwin on the wing as Trent's outball when the press because knocking it down the wing is more likely to be effective than booting it down the middle like we did in the first game.

This lineup will neutralise their press a bit. 2-0 would have been easier to turn around by 3-0 is possible to overturn because the away goals rule has been scrapped. If it were still to be in place, it's would have been almost impossible.

We have enough in attack to win 4-1? But defensively we've lost confidence so don't see us keeping a clean sheet. Jurgen alluded to our lack of conviction after the last game. We play a very risky game and when we're not confident, we inadvertently our opponents too much space.

I agree that playing Nunez on the left wing and Trent pinging diagonal balls to him may be a good option.

The away goals rule would have made it easier for us to go through......we still have to outscore them by 3 goals though.
#JFT97

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
The opinion nitpicker is back.

You made up a complete lie so don't cry when it's picked up on. No away goals is better for us  ;D clueless.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
They drew 2-2 at home to Verona yesterday evening after being 2-0 ahead. If we get the first, there may be no stopping us. We’re in awful form but the pressure is off in a sense, they say our days are numbered…

From what I've seen, they didn't rest any players either. Verona are one of the worst teams in the league, and Atalanta needed to win to stay in the running for the CL places, yet failed. Their plan may have worked at Anfield, but we're still by far the better team, we just need to show it.

Offline Jotatheslotter

• Kemlynite
A big heavy-metal performance this week to give a famous Klopp European turnaround would change the mood and feelings in an instant, it's a really season-defining game mentally for the group if we can some how manage to do it and we can easily score 3 goals against these, key is not conceding. Play Trent / Harvey / Mo down the left, Harvey and Mo interlink well, Trent gives us something extra when he inverts that can't be man-marked. Play Robbo / Jones / Lucho down the right, Jones has a goal in him, Diaz has been the best out of a bad three, he's close to form at the moment out of anyone.

Drop Ibou / Endo / Nunez from the spine, start with Quansah / Macca in the #6 (although fear he is overplaying at the moment for his intensity levels) and Jota through the middle. Darwin to come off the bench raring with his energy to keep the intensity through the 90, didn't realise Atalanta played last night - if we can get to full-time 3-0 we have the depth with our subs to really turn the screw you'd hope after the energy used in their legs.

Kelleher
Trent Quansah Virg Robbo
Harvey Macca Jones
Mo Jota Diaz

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
From what I've seen, they didn't rest any players either. Verona are one of the worst teams in the league, and Atalanta needed to win to stay in the running for the CL places, yet failed. Their plan may have worked at Anfield, but we're still by far the better team, we just need to show it.

Also lost to Ranieri's Cagliari before playing us in the first leg. Seems like we're the only ones unable to play against their set up in recent weeks.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
………. Alison

Trent ….Konate…Van..Robertson

…..Macca…Jones

……..Harvey

…..Salah …Jota ….Nunez

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
I dont think we are out of this. But our whole season rides on this because a good performance sets the belief for the rest of the games.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
I agree that playing Nunez on the left wing and Trent pinging diagonal balls to him may be a good option.

The away goals rule would have made it easier for us to go through......we still have to outscore them by 3 goals though.
On paper but the reality is that shipping 3 at home with the rule in place would have been a psychological blow and it was very rare for even strongest teams to overturn results like that.

Now, the equation is a lot simpler. We can forget the first leg and just go and play our game. Losing 3-0 at home was a bad result but losing 3-0 with the away golas rule in place would have been worse because of the added pressure we would have been under.

The psychological impact is a bit underestimated.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 09:40:36 am by MonsLibpool »

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Can we score 4/5 goals? That’s probably what it’ll take to even take this to extra time. Considering we can’t even hit a barn door doubt we’ll even be scoring more than 1 or 2.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan

The psychological impact is a bit underestimated.

Instead of just admitting you got it badly wrong you’re clinging to this nonsense

4-1 or 5-2 with away goals puts us through, now it’d be extra time and or pens. How is that better for us?  ;D

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Claw this back and go through and it would be a massive springboard for the final stretch.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just wish somebody would show a bit of composure infront of goal.

If we go a goal up first they will feel the pressure. We’re more than good enough to score 3 goals but not sure with the way we’re playing at the moment.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just wish somebody would show a bit of composure infront of goal.

If we go a goal up first they will feel the pressure. We’re more than good enough to score 3 goals but not sure with the way we’re playing at the moment.

Van Dijk from a corner, the great settler.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We'll have enough chances to turn this around, imperative we take them. Their heads will go if we get two and reduce the deficit to one. I feel we'll need 4 goals to progress.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
I still felt we could do this after the first leg but then Crystal Palace happened and now I'm not so sure. Our fragility at the back coupled with our lack of ability to take our chances doesn't exactly inspire confidence when trying to overturn such a big deficit. We've made slow starts in nearly every game after the international break and if we repeat this here then it really is game over.

I do still think an early goal for us can quickly change the dynamics of the game and Atlanta could easily crumble under the expectations of already being in the semi final. We just have to be damn near perfect to make it happen.   

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Can we score 4/5 goals? That’s probably what it’ll take to even take this to extra time. Considering we can’t even hit a barn door doubt we’ll even be scoring more than 1 or 2.
Between now and the end of the season?  Maybe.  In 90 minutes?  No chance.

Putting on a solid performance and getting a win would be invaluable for getting our heads straight for the run-in.  We've been off colour since the last international break but hopefully a few small tweaks here and there will get us firing again.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Need the blitzkrieg attack out there for this. Full throttle for 90 minutes and we can still get it done.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Kelleher

Jones Mac

Elliott

Salah Gakpo Darwin

I'd go for this because:

I like your plan with one tweak:

Instead of Mo Salah, I'm playing Dominik Szoboszlai right-wing, from slightly deeper on the right.

With instructions simply to get forward and take shots.

It is his natural game and will unlock his form.

Salah can come off the bench, where he will also be angry.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Don't do anything stupid in the first 10 minutes and don't do anything stupid in the last 10 minutes and I'll see that as progress.

Going there and expecting to flick a switch and everything we've been doing wrong for the past 3 weeks goes away and we win 4-0 and everything gets back on track is a pipe dream.

Just play better. Thats simple enough.