Author Topic: UK Written Constitution  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
UK Written Constitution
« on: November 2, 2023, 01:22:44 pm »
The UK doesn't have a written, codified constitution. It is said to an "unwritten" one, combining several different statutes such as

Bill of Rights 1689
Acts of Union 1707 and 1800
Act of Settlement 1701
Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949
Human Rights Act 1998
Scotland Act
Northern Ireland Act
Government of Wales Act 1998

But as we have seen for the past 12 years, the fuckers in charge seem to be able to make shit up as they go along, rewriting rules they don't agree with or flat out ignoring the checks and balances that are supposed to hold those in power to account. That we are supposed to accept, without question, that those in parliament will act in our collective interest and with integrity is pure outdated fantasy and blatantly untrue.

What would you want to see included should the UK ever compose a written constitution? What is the bedrock you want to see this country built on?

A few suggestions from me:

The right to strike protected

The right of free, non-violent protests protected

MPs lying in parliament a sackable offence

Private lobbying of MPs to be an prosecutable offence

(Gross) Misconduct of MPs a sackable offence

Standing down/Ousting of a sitting Prime minister to trigger an automatic general election

General elections to be based on proportional representation

House of Lords to be replaced with an elected House of Representatives

Overseas donations to individual MPs/political parties outlawed

Overseas ownership of press/news outlets to be outlawed

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
Re: UK Written Constitution
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2023, 02:08:58 pm »
Become a republic.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2023, 04:13:58 pm »
Everything you've said could be achieved through legislation through the current system. It's just a wishlist not a constitution.

I can see no real way a constitution drafted now achieves anything. It basically codifies whatever the party in power wants, and then there'd have to be a way in which it could be amended (consensus across the nations? super majority etc) - but it's a blunt instrument.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2023, 04:16:15 pm »
Shitty foreign dictatorships banned from buying football clubs to use as sportwashing projects.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 2, 2023, 05:19:52 pm »
The right of free, non-violent protests protected

On the flip side, I’d like to see a serious toughening of laws against those who protest by way of obstructing the public going about their day to day business.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2023, 07:12:02 pm »
I also add:

All utilities and public transport to be publicly owned

NHS to be wholly publicly owned

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2023, 07:13:24 pm »
It's just a wishlist not a constitution.
I appreciate that but I did add...
What would you want to see included...

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2023, 12:20:45 pm »
Better access to the outdoors (a right to roam), with increased protection for wildlife and nature.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2023, 01:07:00 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2023, 01:04:47 pm »
OP said it but: House of Lords.

Get rid asap. 100-member upper chamber, hopefully called something a bit more unique and British than 'the Senate.' Maybe the Witenagamot.

Members are distributed proportionally, but cannot have been candidates or held seats in any other elected body. None of this shunting councillors and MPs and failed candidates around. I'd include trade unions in this and industry bodies like the BMA or CBI in this.

Single term limit of 7 years with the aim of taking it out of the 5-year Westminster cycle and to give them time to make longer-term decisions.

Sited in a nice old stately home in the northern Midlands or Yorkshire with annual sessions held in Stormont, Holyrood and the Senedd.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2023, 02:36:01 pm »
The football season cannot start before 1st September
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2023, 03:51:21 pm »
The football season cannot start before 1st September

The Football season should run from March to December

Going out in the cold is a mugs game,
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 7, 2023, 10:54:36 am »

Get rid asap. 100-member upper chamber, hopefully called something a bit more unique and British than 'the Senate.' Maybe the Witenagamot.

Members are distributed proportionally, but cannot have been candidates or held seats in any other elected body. None of this shunting councillors and MPs and failed candidates around. I'd include trade unions in this and industry bodies like the BMA or CBI in this.

Single term limit of 7 years with the aim of taking it out of the 5-year Westminster cycle and to give them time to make longer-term decisions.

Sited in a nice old stately home in the northern Midlands or Yorkshire with annual sessions held in Stormont, Holyrood and the Senedd.
Love all of this!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #12 on: November 7, 2023, 11:05:03 am »
Love all of this!
But that man who has to walk between the HoC and the HoL with messages (and has to walk really slowly - maybe because of the tights) is going to take forever getting to the midlands.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 7, 2023, 11:05:39 am »

I'd like an appointed Lords, but nominated by a cross-party committee, and with nominees that have not been in the Commons for at least 5 years (the maximum length of one term). With the experience of the past 13 years, I have zero confidence in the electorate valuing ability over electability. Someone like Starmer pre-Commons would be a good example of someone who can do good work there. And there are numerous current and former MPs who have shown capability in examining Bills and proposals. Just don't directly shunt them up.

I'd also like the above committee to weed out the ones who are no longer active or useful. The Roman senate was a repository of experience, and performed superbly as such in the Punic Wars. But even that was periodically weeded out by censors.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 7, 2023, 11:11:38 am »

How about something even more British, like Senedd or Siambr Uchaf or Ail Siambr
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 7, 2023, 11:13:16 am »
How about something even more British, like Senedd or Siambr Uchaf or Ail Siambr

The current Lords is already All Slumber.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 7, 2023, 11:18:16 am »
The current Lords is already All Slumber.

;D True

should be quite appropriate then

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #17 on: November 7, 2023, 11:28:49 am »

Thingwall.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 7, 2023, 12:03:00 pm »
Thingwall.

Similar to the IoM.  North European in origin. Bradders wants something British

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 7, 2023, 12:04:46 pm »
Id like representitives from communities, as opposed to political parties.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #20 on: November 8, 2023, 09:08:17 am »
Thingwall.

Or just shunt the existing Lords to Dingwall. See how many fancy turning up for their day rate in the driving winter sleet.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: November 8, 2023, 09:19:09 am »
Or just shunt the existing Lords to Dingwall. See how many fancy turning up for their day rate in the driving winter sleet.

I'm no fan of the Lords but let's not be sadistic about this.