Author Topic: Rob Burrow, Rugby league Giant, Husband and father of three.  (Read 852 times)

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee

My fleeting interest in RL remained just that. I used to watch on on the TV when is was on and remember Eddie Waring and his famous, "Its an up and under" It never really gripped me though, although I've watched matches with friends in the north and even down under in Aussie. The players were and are well trained, fit and hard and any sportsman who gives his all for his team and club deserves respect.

This bloke Rob Burrow has a special place in many peoples hearts I'm sure. I find this very sad and my respect for him and his wife Lyndsey is enormous.

Give it a read

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/07/rob-and-lindsey-burrow

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rob Burrow, Rugby league Giant, Husband and father of three.
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2021, 11:19:32 am »
Incredible bloke with an even more incredible story. I loosely followed league and Rhinos, but I've read and seen a lot about/from him over the past couple of years and it really does get to you. All I can say is that he has done so much for MND it's almost incomprehensible. A greater legacy will be left than had he not suffered what he has done, and I hope that is some small crumb of comfort for him and his family.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2021, 12:55:53 pm »
Incredibly sad.  Look forward to reading the book and hope he can keep going for a while.

Not a big RL fan, but just looked back at that try in 2011 incredible especially when you see how small he is compared to the other players.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2021, 01:19:08 pm »
What a man, was a world class player.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2021, 01:21:25 pm »
Read the guardian article, incredible.

What a horrible disease, young man in supreme fitness , sometimes life is so unfair.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2021, 01:27:29 pm »
Somebody so fit and healthy, in the prime of life struck down like that. Incredibly sad.
One of my heroes Mike Gregory Warrington captain struck down the same.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #6 on: May 8, 2021, 01:32:00 pm »
Rob Burrow was a great player, i do wonder if all those concussions he had contributed to the disease he's got, he was knocked out almost every time Leeds were live on TV, it was nothing dirty, just one of those things that happen in Rugby, Burrow would go awkward sometimes taking/making a tackle.

#Sausages

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2021, 02:23:28 pm »
Interesting that they're researching if playing elite sports like rugby and football is a contributing factor alongside similar research to Dementia and Alzheimer's.

There's so many being diagnosed or have died from these brain illnesses in recent years.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 8, 2021, 02:24:40 pm »
The hits in League are massive. These lads are built like tanks and can run quickly and without padding like NFL it's a lot of momentum to take.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2021, 02:08:02 pm »
I was watching Wigan every week when Burrow was playing so saw him a few times when they played Leeds, great player, one of those players you hated playing against you because you just knew he would make something happen, either by creating or scoring a winning try.

Heartbreaking to see what has happened to to lad.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2021, 02:15:37 pm »
How the fuck are you supporting Wigan of all teams? Warrington I can see.  ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2021, 02:28:49 pm »
How the fuck are you supporting Wigan of all teams? Warrington I can see.  ;D

Just the luck of the draw, its due to my stepdad who is from Southport and has supported Wigan since the 1950's. I'd never had interest in League, I'd played Union at school but never watched it. When he met my Ma in the mid 80's he asked me and our kid if we fancied going to a game and we ended up going to the 1987 John Player Final v Warrington at Burnden Park, loved it and we've both been Wigan Supporters ever since.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA