Poll

Just curious about the impact Covid-19 is having

I work in the UK and normally work from home
30 (17.8%)
I work in the UK and don't normally work from home but have started  to \ expect to by April
80 (47.3%)
I work in the UK and working from home isn't an option
33 (19.5%)
I live but don't work in the UK
0 (0%)
I don't live in the UK
26 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 169

Voting closed: March 23, 2020, 02:56:14 pm

Author Topic: Working From Home  (Read 169501 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Working From Home
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2020, 08:46:14 pm »
I'm in tomorrow huzzah!

We have a PID issue with a flow-weigher and I have to be there to make sure, that things are made sure and I'm chuffed to bits that I have appointed myself the maker-surer and I'm staying till about 5 because I didn't get where I am today you know without making sure things are made sure.

I'm going to bed early and everyfin. Can't wait.

It's like Chrimbo eve!

Lucky bastard. Never thought I’d be jealous of people going to their workplace.

I may throw my laptop out the window ...
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2020, 08:49:47 pm »

I may throw my laptop out the window ...

Can't wait to hear the beep as I swipe in. I may even lick the swipe machine with lust (and then clean it hygienically of course).

I may even work through my breaks as well, because, I, am a rebel. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 16, 2020, 08:52:11 pm »
yeah actually starting to miss some of the twats who’ve helped my hair falling out

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2020, 08:53:46 pm »
Can't wait to hear the beep as I swipe in. I may even lick the swipe machine with lust (and then clean it hygienically of course).

I may even work through my breaks as well, because, I, am a rebel.

Start early, leave late. Have a shit at home, so you’re not wasting time at work.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2020, 08:55:46 pm »
yeah actually starting to miss some of the twats who’ve helped my hair falling out

We had an accidental group call on Teams today because someone pocket dialled the group. It was quite funny and a bit of light relief, as we all tried To work out whether we’d actually arranged it or not.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 16, 2020, 09:03:35 pm »
We had an accidental group call on Teams today because someone pocket dialled the group. It was quite funny and a bit of light relief, as we all tried To work out whether we’d actually arranged it or not.
im enjoying the video calls, lads look like saddam hussein after they found him in that hole in the ground and the ladies are all wearing headwear as their roots have grown out

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 16, 2020, 09:08:42 pm »
im enjoying the video calls, lads look like saddam hussein after they found him in that hole in the ground and the ladies are all wearing headwear as their roots have grown out

I am actually looking like Saddam Hussein. Good call. Haven’t bothered shaving my head or beard. I was thinking of wearing something stupid for the call tomorrow, like a straw hat. But then I may end up being furloughed...

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2020, 09:22:28 pm »

:lmao excellent description!

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: April 16, 2020, 10:54:31 pm »
I am actually looking like Saddam Hussein. Good call. Haven’t bothered shaving my head or beard. I was thinking of wearing something stupid for the call tomorrow, like a straw hat. But then I may end up being furloughed...

get a Ronaldo 2002 haircut done at home ;)

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 16, 2020, 11:04:07 pm »
get a Ronaldo 2002 haircut done at home ;)

I’ll get me clippers out at the weekend mate.    :-X

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: April 16, 2020, 11:14:25 pm »
I'm on at least 2-3 webinars or video meetings every day. I managed to avoid a MAJOR career-killing horror yesterday. 8)

About 25 of my coworkers, boss included, and I were waiting for a video meeting to start. I took a quick phone call from a work friend (not in the meeting) while waiting, not realizing my computer mike was on. Everyone was listening to my phone call as I paced the room. A few people frantically texted me to shut my mike off, but I didn't notice. Somehow I avoided dropping f-bombs, calling my boss a jerk, saying a female coworker looks like hell without makeup, etc. SO LUCKY. ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:16:11 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #251 on: April 16, 2020, 11:39:43 pm »
^ ha ha :D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #252 on: April 16, 2020, 11:47:52 pm »
I'm on at least 2-3 webinars or video meetings every day. I managed to avoid a MAJOR career-killing horror yesterday. 8)

About 25 of my coworkers, boss included, and I were waiting for a video meeting to start. I took a quick phone call from a work friend (not in the meeting) while waiting, not realizing my computer mike was on. Everyone was listening to my phone call as I paced the room. A few people frantically texted me to shut my mike off, but I didn't notice. Somehow I avoided dropping f-bombs, calling my boss a jerk, saying a female coworker looks like hell without makeup, etc. SO LUCKY. ;D

Did you show everyone your nuts?

Some precedent there, as you've allowed... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: April 17, 2020, 12:50:55 am »

There was a clip of a video meeting shared on twitter where one of the participants thought his camera was off. He was bollock naked.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: April 17, 2020, 12:52:42 am »
Finally convinced the powers that be to have me work at home.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2020, 01:13:44 am »
I started on Tuesday after a weird three weeks when I didn’t know what day it was due to a lack of Work and sport for reference.

Great so far and the commute has been reduced by about three hours a day which is sound. I can’t imagine what it is like to look after kids at the same time but I do have a yearning to get a dog. I need a dog.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2020, 06:27:28 am »
I’m having to this evening once they’re in bed. Although have the option of a pub quiz too and again I’m easily swayed!
Have you tried that app where you partner up with someone and you can keep an eye on each of other to make sure you stay focused?
I must admit I saw someone suggest doing it for three hours to get a couple of tasks done but in do busy I'm doing five hour full on stints and getting nowhere.

I had my first day back in the office, having worked at home for the last week after isolating. The job has certainly changed in my absence, amazing how little is the same now. We have been told this arrangement is due to happen for quite a while.
How is the arrangement? Better or worse
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 17, 2020, 06:28:52 am »
I wrote a little script for a mate that moves the mouse every ten seconds....

Create a txt file in notepad. Paste this into it:

Code: [Select]
Clear-Host

Echo "Moving mouse in 10 seconds..."

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms

Start-Sleep -Seconds 10

Echo "Starting.."

$PlusOrMinus = 25

while ($true)

{

$p = [System.Windows.Forms.Cursor]::Position

$x = $p.X + $PlusOrMinus

$y = $p.Y + $PlusOrMinus

[System.Windows.Forms.Cursor]::Position = New-Object System.Drawing.Point($x, $y)

Start-Sleep -Seconds 10

$PlusOrMinus *= -1

}

Rename it to mouse.ps1 (or anything, as long as it's not .txt, it's .ps1)

When you want it to run, right click on it and select Run with Powershell (windows 10) - the mouse'll move every 10 seconds  :)
Better to move mouse every 25 minutes or so. If boss sees you online all the time but you never pick up her Skype call...
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #258 on: April 17, 2020, 11:12:47 am »
Better to move mouse every 25 minutes or so. If boss sees you online all the time but you never pick up her Skype call...

That can be changed easy enough, you just need to specify the amount of time in seconds for it to wait, the (second) start-sleep near the end:

Start-Sleep -Seconds 300

300 seconds would be 5 minutes,

Start-Sleep -Seconds 1500

Would be 25 minutes.

So the full thing as 25 minutes would be:

Clear-Host

Echo "Moving mouse in 10..."

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms

Start-Sleep -Seconds 10

Echo "Starting.."

$PlusOrMinus = 25

while ($true)

{

$p = [System.Windows.Forms.Cursor]::Position

$x = $p.X + $PlusOrMinus

$y = $p.Y + $PlusOrMinus

[System.Windows.Forms.Cursor]::Position = New-Object System.Drawing.Point($x, $y)

Start-Sleep -Seconds 1500

$PlusOrMinus *= -1

}

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: April 17, 2020, 12:44:05 pm »
I prefer cls to clear-host. Reminds me of my zx spectrum days :)

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: April 18, 2020, 01:35:32 pm »
I’m currently using a work PC during the lockdown to work from home.

I use my own broadband, log onto the work VPN and from there remote in to my usual work PC which is still at my desk.

My question is this - if I download say, rollercoaster tycoon, onto the regular desktop (not the remote one) is there any way they can tell that I’ve done it?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 18, 2020, 01:39:20 pm »

I use my own broadband, log onto the work VPN and from there remote in to my usual work PC which is still at my desk.

My question is this - if I download say, rollercoaster tycoon, onto the regular desktop (not the remote one) is there any way they can tell that I’ve done it?

There are loads of ways they can do this. There are plenty different IT inventory tools out there (for example SCCM) that monitor what has been installed on computers and what is being used. There are other tools for monitoring web activity, file downloads etc. Whether you have any of these and whether your IT department gives a crap is a different matter. We have several different tools running that could track this at my work but no one assigned to actually monitor it proactively.

Also, does your work give you admin rights to install software?

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2020, 02:28:29 pm »
There was a clip of a video meeting shared on twitter where one of the participants thought his camera was off. He was bollock naked.
I always keep a piece of black tape over my camera. I don't rely on computer settings. If I want the camera on for a meeting, I remove the tape, but it goes back on the instant a meeting ends. And it's not even about being naked. You just don't want to look like a doofus chewing on food or playing air guitar or something. ;D
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: April 18, 2020, 02:51:36 pm »
There are loads of ways they can do this. There are plenty different IT inventory tools out there (for example SCCM) that monitor what has been installed on computers and what is being used. There are other tools for monitoring web activity, file downloads etc. Whether you have any of these and whether your IT department gives a crap is a different matter. We have several different tools running that could track this at my work but no one assigned to actually monitor it proactively.

Also, does your work give you admin rights to install software?

Thanks for this.

to be honest I don’t know if I have the admin rights. I haven’t even started to try to do it I just thought I’d check if they could find out, which it seems that they can!

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: April 18, 2020, 03:30:38 pm »

Do you have your own pc/laptop at home? Add something like a netgear switch and hook up a tv as a screen and operate both systems at the same time?

Not a very teched up guy but did this for my son as I didn't believe his work wouldn't be looking in.   

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2020, 04:08:07 pm »
Thanks for this.

to be honest I don’t know if I have the admin rights. I haven’t even started to try to do it I just thought I’d check if they could find out, which it seems that they can!

We have a zero tolerance approach to giving users admin credentials on devices like laptops (there are a few regulated on-site cases where it's permitted). About 4 years ago one of our teachers convinced us to give them admin access on their laptop so they could install their home printer on it that evening. The next day the shared folder on the database server became infected with malware that deleted all the files and replaced them with .lnk files with the same names... needless to say it was traced to that user's laptop.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2020, 04:50:29 pm »
I always keep a piece of black tape over my camera. I don't rely on computer settings. If I want the camera on for a meeting, I remove the tape, but it goes back on the instant a meeting ends. And it's not even about being naked. You just don't want to look like a doofus chewing on food or playing air guitar or something. ;D
I think it was Toshiba Customer support, a few years back, who asked a customer to grant them remote access to their machine, and they turned on the webcam as part of the support. The customer was sitting naked in front of her computer.
I recall it because the customer tried suing Toshiba for violating her personal privacy. Toshiba argued that she had given the technician remote access, and he was merely trying to solve her problem.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: April 18, 2020, 09:02:23 pm »

Do you have your own pc/laptop at home? Add something like a netgear switch and hook up a tv as a screen and operate both systems at the same time?

Not a very teched up guy but did this for my son as I didn't believe his work wouldn't be looking in.

I do have a laptop but it’s shite, hence why I wanted the work pc to play rollercoaster tycoon!

I’ll just use my laptop, just thought it was worth a try as there’s a good 50 hours of gameplay minimum in RCT and it’s pretty cheap to download.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: April 18, 2020, 09:08:02 pm »
I've been a remote worker for years, but since the whole company got sent home, the bosses want video calls for some reason. I only have my laptop camera, so I just chuck my glasses lens cloth in front of it most of the time. 

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2020, 02:06:44 pm »
Literally impossible to work like this.

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2020, 02:56:08 pm »
Another point about laptop cameras -- they should make the "on" light larger. We're talking about personal privacy here. I think they can splurge and make the light larger than a pinhole! There should also be an equally large light for the microphone. Hell, if they can do it properly for "Num Lock" and "Caps Lock" on a keyboard, I think it's a bit more important to have larger lights for your camera and microphone? I'm sure the battery could handle it.   
― Christine Szymanski

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #271 on: April 20, 2020, 03:21:59 pm »
Another point about laptop cameras -- they should make the "on" light larger. We're talking about personal privacy here. I think they can splurge and make the light larger than a pinhole! There should also be an equally large light for the microphone. Hell, if they can do it properly for "Num Lock" and "Caps Lock" on a keyboard, I think it's a bit more important to have larger lights for your camera and microphone? I'm sure the battery could handle it.

On all the ones I’ve seen they’re usually pretty bright and you’d have to be blind not to see it.

Plus they can be turned off and people still access your webcam anyway...  :-X

Online 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2020, 03:28:00 pm »
My Mac asks me for permissions whenever an application tries to access the camera or microphone. I’m sure Windows has the same facility somewhere, unless of course it has been locked/hidden disabled by tech support, along with access to any customisation.

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2020, 04:11:01 pm »
Go to Settings > Privacy > Camera to turn off or on access to the camera for apps in Windows 10. You can set it for all apps or individual apps. The same can be done for the microphone.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2020, 04:14:37 pm »
Literally impossible to work like this.

Easy for us, here.

However, I have no idea how going paperless completly will work with regulators and such. Not for me to worry about, so I don't care.  ;D

Probably a much needed kick up the arse for companies to modernise, improve technology and working practices into 2020...
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2020, 04:18:39 pm »
Easy for us, here.

However, I have no idea how going paperless completly will work with regulators and such. Not for me to worry about, so I don't care.  ;D

Probably a much needed kick up the arse for companies to modernise, improve technology and working practices into 2020...

I can work from home, alone no problem! But both kids had loads of work sent through to them last night. They were meant to have a Teams call each in the morning with a group of pupils and teacher and we couldn’t get in. Then have to half monitor what they’re doing, mark some work and upload it back to their Teams page.

If I have a chance I might try and do some of my own work at some point.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #276 on: April 20, 2020, 04:29:13 pm »
I can work from home, alone no problem! But both kids had loads of work sent through to them last night. They were meant to have a Teams call each in the morning with a group of pupils and teacher and we couldn’t get in. Then have to half monitor what they’re doing, mark some work and upload it back to their Teams page.

If I have a chance I might try and do some of my own work at some point.

Daddy daycare, in effect... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #277 on: April 20, 2020, 04:30:32 pm »
Daddy daycare, in effect... :D

Turns out I’m as bad at that as I am my real job. At least I’m consistent.

Tough trying to be all things to all people and failing miserably though!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2020, 01:22:59 am »
Anyone got a good image of the Kop to use as background on Zoom?
Better than the clothes drying / unmade spare bed I have at the moment  ;D

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2020, 07:57:36 am »
Anyone got a good image of the Kop to use as background on Zoom?
Better than the clothes drying / unmade spare bed I have at the moment  ;D

This would look good I reckon.