Author Topic: PlayStation VR  (Read 36288 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
PlayStation VR
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:06:19 am »
Mine's just arrived, booked the day off work so worth it!

Anyone else picking one up? I've not got any games yet just downloading some of the free ones and demos and see what I enjoy off the disc. Probably pick up rigs later today as that's had encouraging reviews.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: PlayStation VR
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:46:15 pm »
I really, really want it, but it's just way too expensive for me at the minute.

Will definitely pick it up when there are any price drops.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 04:59:43 pm »
I went in with no expectations, I've never even seen a 3d film never mind had a vr experience. It's just so cool, that 360 degree immersive environment. The head tracking is fine, no problems really. It tends to drift off I tad but you don't really notice until you reset It holding the option button. Eve Valkrie really impressed me, I'm not sure how deep the full game is but it was just such a sureal experience and doing a loop in space in a vr cockpit is crazy.

Thumper really surprised me, it's like a beat, tempo pattern game with vibrant colours. It's really quite adrenaline pumping, like wipeout when your moving through the speed zones.

Even games like the descent where your just enclosed In a cage, it's so cool, you wanna reach out and touch the sea life.

The game that didn't actually wow me was Driveclub VR. It handles fine and close objects look fine but the draw distance becomes quite blurry which can be a problem when your have a corner on the horizon.

Also played the Kitchen demo which is basically a teaser for resident evil 7, it's only a few minutes really but holy shit, I was legit scared, I jumped a couple of times.

Overall really encouraged for the future of VR, with the development teams at a Sony hopefully they can create some really cool games and I hope VR is here to stay because as the technology progresses, it becomes cheaper, hardware gets more powerful this is the only way I want to play in the future.

I watched some Netflix and the quality was okay too.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:01:45 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline lcjpm01

• Kopite
  • Sealed off car park.Whats it all about??
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:03:39 pm »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:05:19 pm »
Also there isn't a screen door effect. And if there is I haven't noticed one as it's well... Not very noticeable. Headset is comfy too.

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 07:23:59 pm »
Also there isn't a screen door effect. And if there is I haven't noticed one as it's well... Not very noticeable. Headset is comfy too.

Stop all this positivity. Have been telling myself I'm not going to cave! If you keep this up it might be difficult...
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:45:48 pm »

Whats a screen door effect?
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 08:16:07 pm »
Am I best saving this for when I get the pro first or just getting it now for the OG PS4?

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:10 pm »
Stop all this positivity. Have been telling myself I'm not going to cave! If you keep this up it might be difficult...

Haha, it's not perfect by any means and it's gonna take time till you see truly outstanding games and getting the most out of it. It's difficult to find the perfect spot where to position your headset so everything is clear but you adjust.

Some stuff is clearer than others, it depends on the draw distance.

Like I said I came in with little expectation and general experience but I'ts just so refreshing to play games from this new perspective.

Am I best saving this for when I get the pro first or just getting it now for the OG PS4?

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

I read that a developer said they was able to improve performance using the PS4 Pro but nothing is widely known yet how much of a performance gain. If your on the fence try a demo booth. There should be some around I think.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:22:19 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 09:44:34 pm »
Whats a screen door effect?
It's the arrangement of the pixels on the screen, or how the sub-pixels are made up. The screen door is the space between those pixels. It looks more like a fine mesh fence made of squares or diamond shapes depending on the type of screen used. You see this basically because you're looking through a magnifying lense. Certain types of displays have negated this.

I've seen it on the DK2 and the Gear VR using a S6 and 7. It's not really noticeable unless you actually focus on it.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 09:57:14 am »
Rez infinite is crazy in VR, especially using the head tracking to lock on.

Seems like so far the stuff I've enjoyed the most is the horror things and the likes of thumper and rez. Also the playroom vr is genuinely fun.

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 11:21:24 am »
Lad in work got the headset on Friday.  Just been chatting to him and he said Resident Evil scared the brown stuff out of him.  He also said that Drive Club is class on it too.

Kids have asked for one for this year, but have said wait until next Xmas to see how it goes games and price wise and if it's successful will look at getting them one.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 12:18:53 pm »
Lad in work got the headset on Friday.  Just been chatting to him and he said Resident Evil scared the brown stuff out of him.  He also said that Drive Club is class on it too.

Kids have asked for one for this year, but have said wait until next Xmas to see how it goes games and price wise and if it's successful will look at getting them one.
the horror stuff is great. Played resident evil myself and that was good, also had a go of a demo of until dawn rush of blood where you are in a ghost cart type of thing and your making your way round equipped with guns but shit just pops out at you and another called here they lie which you seem to only have a light and there is creepy shit hiding behind doors etc. Needless to say I didn't finish either as I was too much of a shit bag

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »
the horror stuff is great. Played resident evil myself and that was good, also had a go of a demo of until dawn rush of blood where you are in a ghost cart type of thing and your making your way round equipped with guns but shit just pops out at you and another called here they lie which you seem to only have a light and there is creepy shit hiding behind doors etc. Needless to say I didn't finish either as I was too much of a shit bag

Funny you mention the bolded bit.  He said he was playing it with the lights off and he scared himself shitless haha.

From what he said, it does sound very good. Will be interesting to see how the developers utilise the technology over the next 12 months.

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 03:00:47 pm »
Played Batman VR over the weekend and most of the USA demos. Absolute belter. Can't wait to show it to mates. The missus got a bit freaked out about it, to be honest as she said it was a bit overwhelming. Thumper is insane and the Playroom VR platformer was a real surprise.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 03:33:23 pm »
Had never heard of this at 8am this morning. It's now 3.33pm and I've ordered one for collection tomorrow evening.

Thanks RAWK!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 03:48:40 pm »
Played Batman VR over the weekend and most of the USA demos. Absolute belter. Can't wait to show it to mates. The missus got a bit freaked out about it, to be honest as she said it was a bit overwhelming. Thumper is insane and the Playroom VR platformer was a real surprise.

I wanna get batman, supposed to be short but really good.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 05:21:11 pm »
Rez infinite is crazy in VR, especially using the head tracking to lock on.

Seems like so far the stuff I've enjoyed the most is the horror things and the likes of thumper and rez. Also the playroom vr is genuinely fun.
I want one of these. It's really tempting me now for the first time to buy a Playstation. Might wait for the Pro first.

Normally I wouldn't be interested in games like Rez, but the concept of it just fits VR. It reminds me of Lawnmowerman for some reason.

Have you noticed any loss of tracking or jittering in anything? What about motion sickness?

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 06:36:50 am »
Where to start... never experienced VR before, my headset arrived last night and I have to say I am blown away with the experience... the ocean descent was just amazing... as where the other experiences I tried on the demo disc... only had one hour on the system last night but I am deeply impressed with what Sony have achieved here, its a very surreal experience to find yourself iimmersed in a different world.

The game with the little robots had me in stitches its just brilliant, the tracking and updating of images was not an issue, totally immersive and wonderful experience..  think Sony may be on to a winner here.

My wife who has no interest in games tried the Ocean descent demo and she said its beautiful and magical ...she tried the little robot game and she could not believe she was in a cartoon world... she played the game but it was getting late... she has booked the head set for two hours tonight to complete it... that to me was a big issue.. VR has the ability to bring none game players into its experience..

As I said,  blown away with it... played games for 30 years and I am shocked at the intensity of this new tech.. think Sony may of cracked VR for the masses here...

Got an ocean to sit in later and then a flight across an asteroid belt afterwards.. its mad lads but great also.

Thing is I could see how people could be addicted to being out of this world and into a new one within VR.. defo VR has arrived now...if you can ...buy it.           
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:38:34 am by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 10:19:41 am »
I want one of these. It's really tempting me now for the first time to buy a Playstation. Might wait for the Pro first.

Normally I wouldn't be interested in games like Rez, but the concept of it just fits VR. It reminds me of Lawnmowerman for some reason.

Have you noticed any loss of tracking or jittering in anything? What about motion sickness?

I cracked and got one at the weekend after having a go on my mates, had no problems at all with tracking, driveclub sometimes makes me a bit queezy but I put that down to it doing a great job of tricking you into actually thinking you're in the car, going into a blind dip at high speed feels like it does in real life

I'm still a bit sceptical about it taking off big time but think they've nailed the technology and just hope the big developers fully get behind it and give us some great games

The resident evil demo made me shit myself without you actually doing anything, can't wait to see what they do with the full game

Edit: the one issue I've had is with lens fog, doesn't happen all the time but sometimes gets bad within 5 or 10 mins of playing
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:29:53 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 11:44:51 am »
It all sounds very promising. I've been following the development of these things for the better part of 5 years now, so it's great to see they are finally out, and at least one of them is impressing people no matter who tries it. That was always going to be important. I didn't care who did it, but Sony have obviously been brave enough to put their chips down, and hopefully it pays off for them. A success for any VR headset means the technology can improve, and it does need to. Not that it's bad now, there's just niggles with the hardware that need to be addressed, like the obvious one being wires, and the big one: field of view. When these two things are solved, that's what will really hammer VR into every day life, in more ways than just entertainment. Other stuff like fogging and screen door effect are minor to the point where it's just one of those things you can obviously live with.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 06:02:52 pm »

I can only say find a demo booth (if they have any)  and see what you think. I've never had a go of the rift or the vive and they are obviously more powerful so it comes down to software really.

Its not perfect by any means, you can tell its in its infancy but its it a different way to game. It's like when I used to play Mario on the snes and I seen a friend had Mario 64, and you could actually move in any direction. Or when GTA went from top down view to how we know it now.

The most encouraging thing is that any kinks or what needs improving can be ironed out, with the next iteration, or the one after that, I don't know but the technology works, it absolutely works and it will only get better, as long as there's support for it.

In regards to software I'm not to up on what is available on other vr platforms so from my perspective I'm hoping Sony's first party devs can deliver some unique titles.

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »
Are there any actual complete games designed for the VR or is it all demos at the moment?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 07:35:00 pm »
Are there any actual complete games designed for the VR or is it all demos at the moment?
There's quite a few games on the store.

Eve valkyrie for example is designed for it. Rigs too, Batman VR. PlayStation worlds is like 5 little games in one. I think it's gonna take time to find a killer app for it but even so I've been genuinely surprised by it, it's just a whole lot of fun.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 07:47:42 pm »
This wouldn't be cool for a 5yr old to use would it? Would it even fit on their little heads?

Offline Coat Of Arms

• Main Stander
  • Some men just want to watch the Woodburn
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 08:01:11 pm »
Be interesting to see whether this will be a genuine game changer (pardon the pun) or just another gimmick like eyetoy & PS move.

Hopefully the bigger game studio's get behind it because it does look quite good from the clips I've seen.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
This wouldn't be cool for a 5yr old to use would it? Would it even fit on their little heads?

It says not suitable for under twelves. Even so I gave my five year old a go because he was very curious about it but it was a little loose. Plus you have to configure the headset so the screen looks clear etc, it's kinda hard for a five year old to do that.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 10:02:42 pm »
It says not suitable for under twelves. Even so I gave my five year old a go because he was very curious about it but it was a little loose. Plus you have to configure the headset so the screen looks clear etc, it's kinda hard for a five year old to do that.
Balls. Don't wanna disappoint him by not sharing it with him. Expected it to be maybe loose but wasn't aware of the configuration thing

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 01:08:09 am »
Be interesting to see whether this will be a genuine game changer (pardon the pun) or just another gimmick like eyetoy & PS move.

Hopefully the bigger game studio's get behind it because it does look quite good from the clips I've seen.
VR, in it's current state, is definitely no gimmick. Anything that can actually trick your brain into actual presence of being in a space when it isn't real is potentially revolutionary. So far, the software has to catch up to that potential, whereas a gimmick is already at it's potential and can't be taken any further.

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 09:40:41 am »

How do you go about configuring the screen so that it's clear etc? I've only used it for a few hours so far but had one or two issues with the screen getting blurry on me and not really sure what to do to improve it other than wiggle the headset about a bit until it seems better.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 03:17:39 pm »
How do you go about configuring the screen so that it's clear etc? I've only used it for a few hours so far but had one or two issues with the screen getting blurry on me and not really sure what to do to improve it other than wiggle the headset about a bit until it seems better.

When I say configure the headset I meant it has to fit right. There's a button underneath which can extend the lenses away from your face a bit, but it was more In relation to a five year old wearing, you'd be constantly having to adjust it because of the head. If you hold down the option button it resets the devices alignment so it doesn't drift off.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 07:16:17 pm »
What are the best games to get for this?

I might be buying one after work today.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 07:28:09 pm »
What are the best games to get for this?

I might be buying one after work today.

I'd say VR Worlds is a good introduction to the PSVR. There's like five games in that. And all use the technology in different ways. For example The Heist is an on rails adventure type game using the move controllers to shoot and interact with objects in the game.

Rez and Thumper are really cool games to play in VR. If you are into horror stuff then Until Dawn Rush Of Blood is good. Also there is a demo on the store of almost every VR game. They are short in length but it's enough to make you decide whether you would like it or not.

Also Playroom VR is fun, that can be played with more than one player too, as another player can play on the TV.

Batman is supposed to be good, but really short.

Personally, i got the demo's first and based my purchases off that.

Also bound is VR compatible, supposed to be boss.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2016, 07:30:40 pm »
Awesome thanks, will see what they have in store.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 12:49:08 pm »
Wow blown away by it so far. Only tried the deep sea adventure and the bouncing ball thing, but it's amazing. I bought Rigs because I love Mech games and still have to test that out. Can't wait fir resident Evil VR

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2016, 04:22:54 pm »
What's the resolution like on it? I heard its a bit low, but is it to the point where it becomes a distraction, or is it good enough?

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 05:27:08 pm »
What's the resolution like on it? I heard its a bit low, but is it to the point where it becomes a distraction, or is it good enough?

For me it's fine, if the headgear slips a bit it can get blurry but you just have to re enter it and it's fine.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 08:20:23 am »
Batman... blown me away... got on it .. the full version
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2016, 01:17:03 pm »
Recently got sent a promo deal where I could get £30 off the retail price of the headset and a full year to pay it off interest free, so given the overwhelmingly positive reviews it seemed like a no-brainer. Just waiting now for the updated version of the PS camera to come separately from Amazon (cheapest one I could find new), and I'll be away with the fairies soon enough. Gona be careful to wait for reviews for every title though, and won't be spending £40/£50 a pop on things I'll only be diving into sporadically.

It's made me think, it's coming up to 30 years since Space Harrier first came to home consoles (created by SEGA for the arcades in December 1985, ported to the Master System a year later), and 2018 will be the anniversary of Space Harrier 3-D, among the first wave of console games to employ stereoscopic 3D (SegaScope LCD shutter glasses), an early attempt at full immersion in a videogame world in your home.

Iconic graphics, iconic music, simple-but-frantic arcade rail-shooter gameplay... why isn't this getting a mind-blowing VR remake right this instant? Rez Infinite is being very well-received indeed, just think of what you could do with the unique aesthetic style, absolutely flippin' legendary soundtrack, and sheer nostalgia-power of the grandaddy of that whole genre of games!

I can just picture it now - it'd have a little intro that'd hark back to the awesome dramatic silliness of that mid-'80s arcade era, setting the bombastic-high-fantasy-sci-fi mood and building up that heroic feeling...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sDd0aSRvU3k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sDd0aSRvU3k</a>

...WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE! GET READY...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lwESnLptwKc&amp;start=10" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lwESnLptwKc&amp;start=10</a>

You'd have that familiar old synthesised scratchy speech sample and death scream, the colourful chequerboard floor, the essential character and enemy designs all intact, but it'd just start cranking it up visually & aurally until your head gets sent completely west, into a whole other dimension. It should be akin to a full-on acid trip and/or out-of-body spiritual experience. It should make you quit your job the very next day and start assembling your own jetpack, try opening a wormhole portal to the fantasy zone by cooking The Internet in your microwave.

Ravey thud-thud music is a bit too overdone a style with this sort of thing, so they should instead go with intense '80s experimental punkopsychedelic art-rock versions of those classic tracks and new efforts, like a Daydream Nation-era Sonic Youth sound or something, Pixes at their most raw and deranged, with perhaps a generous splash of totally non-ironic retrofuturist electronica, like a full-tilt Aphex Twin. BBC Radiophonic Workshop speeding through Neo-Tokyo on mitzies.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XYrQC-jWMFM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XYrQC-jWMFM</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uQeJVqdt92M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uQeJVqdt92M</a>

It should be an otherworldly epileptic VR experience designed to break your mind, and leave your thankful for it  :D
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2016, 01:34:58 pm »
Recently got sent a promo deal where I could get £30 off the retail price of the headset and a full year to pay it off interest free

Is this a deal open to all or just yourself?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A