Author Topic: Sonos Wireless purchase  (Read 6008 times)

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sonos Wireless purchase
« on: September 4, 2014, 12:56:29 pm »
I've decided I need something better than DLNA for getting some music played around my gaff. Currently I'm just connecting from my SIII to the TV and sometimes it just decides not to play and other times its great. Had enough of it, though so I'm looking at getting something a bit better that I can grow into other bedrooms etc.

From what I can work out I could get away with just a Sonos 1 to start off with. I can place it in the living room and have an access point to connect it via Ethernet to the router which is in a cupboard in the hallway. This is  not in the best position though sound or aesthetics wise for the speaker, and I really don't want to run extended Ethernet cable around the place.

So is the solution to get the Bridge and connect it hidden up hidden away in the cupboard and then simply place the speaker where I can access some power? Effectively the speaker is wireless. Bit more expensive but a better way going forward? I also have Ethernet access in my bedroom so would it be better to buy two speakers and then connect the one in my bedroom up, which isn't too intrusive, and just have the living room one running off that? I'm going to move house soon hopefully and would want to be able to expand it into the extra rooms in there and eventually tie it up with a decent AV Amp. I suppose I could get a bridge later on if needed.

Also, I'm just used to sending music from my phone so have absolutely no idea about the likes of Spotify etc. Are these worth paying for - or are any good ones free? I like the thought of accessing the huge list of radio channels which I normally do on my phone but having it all available in one place would be an improvement. I think I need to read up on Spotify and any alternatives.

Is the Sonos 1 a decent speaker for a slightly larger than normal sized room or should I look at getting the 3 or the 5.

Any help appreciated

I'm probably gonna pop up to Currys to get one today now that I've almost talked myself into it  :)

Edit: Any preferences on an app for Android to control it. I tend not to believe hte reviews on the app sites too much
« Last Edit: September 4, 2014, 01:14:42 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Grand Chilli

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sonos Wireless purchase
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2014, 06:15:49 pm »
You may have already bought by now, but there's just been a new version of the Sonos software released which means you don't need a Bridge any more... Just a standard wireless connection.

Can't comment on the 1 (I've heard a 3 and have a Playbar myself), but personally I see a subscription to Spotify or Google Play Music as the main selling point of kit like this. I used to keep an archive of music on a server, but it's so much nicer to just stream everything on demand.

Offline dylman

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2014, 07:50:52 pm »
Sonos kit is really nice but it's expensive and it proliferates like rabbits.  You start out with one speaker and before you know it they're bloody everywhere and you have no money left.

You'll want the Sonos Controller app to get everything set up - with the latest version (5.1) you don't even need a Bridge like the above poster says.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2014, 12:13:33 pm »
Thanks for the comments.

I managed to avoid just splurging out on one. A mate at works go a full set and he rates them highly so I went round to his to have a listen. I think the 1 will do me for now.

As an aside he said if buying from Currys then to use Currys gift cards from Morrisons, and you get 1p per tenner spent off your petrol. So if I was to buy the 1 and the 3 I'd end up getting 41p off per litre which isn't to be sniffed at.

Couldn't wait any longer so been up and bought a 1.  :)

Now to get a spotify account
« Last Edit: September 8, 2014, 01:17:30 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:12 am »
We have the playbar, best thing we've bought to be honest. We didn't bother with the bridge so I don't know how this new wifi option works, I have a rule that if it doesn't move it's wired, powerline adaptors make this incredibly easy in older houses!

I've used it with spotify premium and it was pretty good, but everything's already on the network so it's easy to just play what you want. Great for radio, too, and always handy to be able to turn it on/off from anywhere in the house. When we do the bathroom up he's after putting a play: 1 in there.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:19:20 pm »
After many years, I feel that the time has come to think about ditching my separates and piles of CDs. They rarely get used anymore, despite the excellent sound quality that they produce. I am thinking of giving myself more space in the lounge by using a Sonos Play 5. Does anybody else have any experience of using one of these? How do they compare with good old hifi setups? I just like the idea of having a single box that will do all of the work, together with a Spotify account too of course.

I have also seen that you can pair Play 3s together for a more genuine stereo sound, is this true, or just a gimmick?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Swissgaz

• Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 06:39:40 pm »
After many years, I feel that the time has come to think about ditching my separates and piles of CDs. They rarely get used anymore, despite the excellent sound quality that they produce. I am thinking of giving myself more space in the lounge by using a Sonos Play 5. Does anybody else have any experience of using one of these? How do they compare with good old hifi setups? I just like the idea of having a single box that will do all of the work, together with a Spotify account too of course.

I have also seen that you can pair Play 3s together for a more genuine stereo sound, is this true, or just a gimmick?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I ended up doing the same getting rid of all the hifi separates and replacing it with the Playbar. I've since added a Play 5 and a couple of Play 1's in other rooms. The sound quality is decent but it really scores in ease of use.

Have a look at this youtube clip for an example of a stereo pair.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/26fH2APyQyY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/26fH2APyQyY</a>

I'd recommend listening to a system in a shop (Richer Sounds are pretty good) and look at alternatives as most major manufacturers have introduced systems over the last 12 months.

"Sometimes you just have to chill out, look at the Everton fans and let them realise what time it is" - Daniel Sturridge

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:40:32 pm »
Thanks very much for the info.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 09:21:33 pm »
Thinking of swapping my Zeppelin Air for a Sonos system.

Anyone heard anything about a new one coming out soon? The Play 5 seems to be out of stock everywhere which suggests a new version is on its way.

How do the 1's and 3's compare to a Zeppelin Air?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 09:28:24 am »

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 10:03:04 am »
I'm also looking at a play 1 - thinking it will be good in the kitchen/ dining room in my new house.

Has anyone any views on any of the competitors products?  Samsung Shape seems to be similar

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 10:35:50 am »
I spoke to a Samsung rep in Curry's, and he had Sonos products himself. I guess that says a lot ;D Go into Richer Sounds and ask them to demo them for you.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 10:42:54 am »
I spoke to a Samsung rep in Curry's, and he had Sonos products himself. I guess that says a lot ;D Go into Richer Sounds and ask them to demo them for you.

Haha - that's a pretty good endorsement of Sonos then!  Will have a listen as you suggest

Thanks Claire

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 11:52:22 am »
They're relaunching the 5: http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/new-play-5-smart-speaker

$499 which, as we all know, will translate to £499.

I reckon I can get about £200 for my Zeppelin Air. Not sure it's worth £300 to upgrade to be honest.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 10:26:20 pm »
On the shop it says £429, so a bit cheaper than you were expecting but still a fair amount on top to replace what you've got. Can only say that the playbar was worth every penny but it wasn't bought to replace something, and it's in constant use.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 7, 2015, 04:23:18 pm »
Claire's demo idea is the best one, and the lads at Richer Sounds are boss - you'll have a much better idea of which one will suit your particular requirements.

We have a Play3 in our kitchen/diner/family room, for general music/radio listening, and a Playbar in the living room which we use with the telly. I use the 3 with a bridge, and the performance is excellent-no dropout at all, as the mesh network is so good. I also relocate my Play 3 in the garden when I'm pottering about out there, or we are having a bbq. It sounds great, and its dead easy to set up.

Both are fantastic, and the room that the 3 is in is about 1,000 sq. foot [L-shaped open plan extension] and it still sounds fantastic in there. I'm no particular audiophile, but its plenty loud and full sounding enough for me. I'd personally struggle to justify buying a 5 over a 3, because the 3 sounds so good.

The Playbar is great with the telly, but we also use it for general listening from time to time as well. Again, the sound it produces is fantastic.

We use the Sonos stuff with Spotify premium, and haven't bought any music for over 2 years as a result. Absolutely love it, and the free ipad control app is great as well.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »
For someone as un tech savvy as myself, is there a CHEAP (for now) set of speakers that you can hook up via an ether net cable...im guessing not but thought Id ask. I did get a load of (not sure exactly what its called) headphone extending cable, to plug in a set of speakers in my bed room, but there is some nasty hissing in the background.

Any ideas peeps?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 06:24:23 pm »
For someone as un tech savvy as myself, is there a CHEAP (for now) set of speakers that you can hook up via an ether net cable...im guessing not but thought Id ask. I did get a load of (not sure exactly what its called) headphone extending cable, to plug in a set of speakers in my bed room, but there is some nasty hissing in the background.

Any ideas peeps?
I've been using the Logitech Squeezebox alternative for years. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than Sonos. I think they have stopped making it though. The cheapest way of doing it would probably be to set up a Raspberry Pi 2 as a Squeezebox player attached to your HiFi. You'll have to see if it's suitable for your technical skills though. I doubt it's that complicated.

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 09:23:09 pm »
I've been using the Logitech Squeezebox alternative for years. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than Sonos. I think they have stopped making it though. The cheapest way of doing it would probably be to set up a Raspberry Pi 2 as a Squeezebox player attached to your HiFi. You'll have to see if it's suitable for your technical skills though. I doubt it's that complicated.

You dont know me mate hahaha. Thanks anyway though :wave
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 11:07:14 am »
You dont know me mate hahaha. Thanks anyway though :wave

I'm thinking of doing this instead of going for a Sonos system.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/838501/Raspberry-Pi-as-low-cost-audio-streaming-box

It isn't dead hard to do and would come out much cheaper than the Sonos.

Any recommendations for stand-alone speakers that would kick out a sound as good as a Sonos?

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 2, 2015, 11:49:42 pm »
Just got the new Play 5 and it's very good. Read a lot of rave reviews but was blown away by the quality of sound. Was a toss up between a pair of Play 1's or this, very happy with it.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #21 on: December 3, 2015, 01:37:49 am »
I'm thinking of doing this instead of going for a Sonos system.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/838501/Raspberry-Pi-as-low-cost-audio-streaming-box

It isn't dead hard to do and would come out much cheaper than the Sonos.

Any recommendations for stand-alone speakers that would kick out a sound as good as a Sonos?

That looks doable. Shall have to take a look in the new year. Cheers.

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 3, 2015, 02:32:27 pm »
Definitely. Just need to know what I'm looking for in a set of speakers. No idea at the moment. I'll definitely get a second hand set though.

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
« Reply #23 on: December 5, 2015, 10:05:30 am »
That looks doable. Shall have to take a look in the new year. Cheers.

Out of curiosity, how does this differ to just buying a Chromecast Audio? The chromecast plugs in to the 3.5mm connection from your old Hi-Fi/speaker system and allows you to stream wirelessly to it.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #24 on: December 5, 2015, 04:13:02 pm »
Out of curiosity, how does this differ to just buying a Chromecast Audio? The chromecast plugs in to the 3.5mm connection from your old Hi-Fi/speaker system and allows you to stream wirelessly to it.
I take it you have Chromecast Audio then - are there any downsides to it or are you happy with it?

Offline Logistiks

• Anny Roader
  • Welsh Red!
« Reply #25 on: December 5, 2015, 10:46:41 pm »
I take it you have Chromecast Audio then - are there any downsides to it or are you happy with it?

I have one, yeah. I think it's great. Output is crisp and clear, great range since it's over wireless rather than bluetooth.
Biggest shortfall would be that it doesn't support multi-room set-ups... yet.

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #26 on: December 6, 2015, 11:33:42 am »
I have one, yeah. I think it's great. Output is crisp and clear, great range since it's over wireless rather than bluetooth.
Cheers, sounds good that. Multi-room set-ups wouldn't be needed for me atm, but if it'll work in the future that's cool. But how does it work though - e.g. I've got a laptop, does it reproduce whatever is on it like it would if I'd connect a cable to the speakers, or would it have to go through an app or whatnot and then stream through it?

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #27 on: December 8, 2015, 08:36:58 pm »

That mate.

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 03:20:15 pm »

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »
No worries. Ordered one to pick up tonight after work. £25 from Currys. 

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 01:24:43 am »
No worries. Ordered one to pick up tonight after work. £25 from Currys. 

Indeed it is...told the Mrs it was on sale there :P Cheers though :wave

Online .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 10:53:04 am »
Been very impressed with my Chromecast Audio so far.

Got a Zeppelin Air and the AirPlay is flaky as fuck but the Chromecast connected via the aux port has been flawless so far.

I've ordered another one for a stereo in the kitchen - will see how the multi-room set-up works.

Offline Birdontheshirt

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2015, 10:30:15 pm »
Really pleased with our sonos system.  We have six play 1's and a connect that links into a pair of floor standing speakers that we already had in lounge.  The six play 1's are set up as three stereo pairs: one in kitchen, one in bedroom and one pair with a speaker in the hall and other speaker of that pair on the landing.  Experimented with the hall/landing pair as originally anticipated that they might sound better set up as single speakers.  But in fact they sound best paired, even though they are across two floors of the house.  The one on the landing is outside the bathroom so great for listening to radio/music etc whilst getting ready in the morning.  Although a single play 1 sounds great, a stereo pair of play 1's sounds even better (see the youtube video linked in a post on this page).  I'd much rather have a pair of play 1 than a single play 3 for the price.

For anyone not familiar with sonos system, some features that I didn't know about beforehand, are that you can access an enormous range of radio stations at no cost from the 'radio by tune-in' feature.  You can play music files from any computer that you designate as the main 'music library', but that doesn't limit as you can also play music/podcasts from any other device that you have downloaded the sonos app onto.  So that means you can play a podcast/mp3 from laptop, macbook, ipad, iphone, etc even when these aren't your main music library.  We have an old original ipad that isn't compatible with the official sonos app, but there is an 'unofficial' sonos app in the itunes app store that allows even this very old ipad to be used as a music controller too.
Luck favours the brave, but not the stupid.

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 06:33:53 pm »
Really pleased with our sonos system. 
Totally agree. Superb system. I have 9 Zones at home, all collected over the years, all linked to a NAS drive which hold my music library. I guess you dont even need one of these nowadays as you can subscribe to many of the music providers like Spotify. Great Sound, simple to use... and lastability... Best thing I ever bought because of the simplicity of it all and userfriendliness.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #35 on: January 4, 2021, 11:11:35 am »
Got a Sonos One SL for Christmas - have wanted one of these for years, but never got around it it.

I'm playing 6 Music via the Sonos app, and its cutting out for the odd half second quite regularly.  This is the first time I've tried this (previously primarily AirPlay-ing) from iTunes on my laptop (with no issues).

I've had a look on the support page, but I'm not really feeling that the suggested solutions are the ones for me (good internet speeds, good WiFi, devices in proximity to one another: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/305?language=en_US.

Anyone experienced this?  Any ideas on a fix?