Author Topic: FC Barcelona  (Read 877645 times)

Offline jotirori

• Legacy Fan
Re: FC Barcelona
« Reply #240 on: April 25, 2012, 01:50:04 pm »
They lose the two most important trophies this season and shouldn't even consider an alternative way to play sometimes?

Football snobbery to say they 'don't need a Plan B'.
They might need a plan B, but they will never negociate the way they play.Never.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »
Barcelona's top scorers this season:

Messi - 63
Fabregas - 15
Sanchez - 14

Says it all really.

Not sure what that says other than Messi is an unbelievable player.

I think it does say a fair bit to be honest, a team that enjoys as much possession and creates as many chances as Barca should have at least another 1 or 2 players scoring 20 goals. I know Villa probably would have had 20-25 goals if he weren't injured but for me Sanchez should have a lot more goals. I didn't see much of him at Udinese but I've not been impressed by him at all this season and fail to see where all last summers hype came from? Is he playing in a vastly different role at Barca?
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:29 pm »
Sacchi coached Milan 4 years the first time. As long as Guardiola has coached Barcelona at the end of this season. Both have won 2 European Cups, but Guardiola has 3 league titles to Sacchi's one. What makes you think Milan were the better side?

Liverpool couldn't compete in Europe obviously, but it's not like we won the league every year either.

This. All the great teams had blips where they didn't win the league, and that didn't spell the end of their dominance. This is just a blip for Barca and they will be back in the coming years.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:09:33 pm by LFC_4_life »

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: April 25, 2012, 01:53:29 pm »
This supposed 'fall from grace' was bound to happen eventually. When you reach the top there's only one way you can go. Barcelona set the bar so high that 'failure' was inevitable because you simply can not win everything every time. The fact that Madrid are there to take advantage just makes the situation even more difficult because watching such a huge rival overtake you makes even the smallest amount of regression appear far worse.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2012, 01:54:06 pm »
They lose the two most important trophies this season and shouldn't even consider an alternative way to play sometimes?

Football snobbery to say they 'don't need a Plan B'.
its not snobbery its self belief.

Its why they are so good now, its what has made them this unbelievable team.

Why should they change there system that has worked 99% of the time?

Last night wasnt about having no plan B, its like what people have said in here already its a culmination of fatigue mentally and physically.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #245 on: April 25, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »
valdes has been piss poor recently. i've never seen a keeper get caught in no mans land so often. ok he's harldy helped by his defence playing a high line but he's still not covered himself in glory. the drogba goal in the first leg being a prime example.

I've never been a big fan of Valdes and i've said as much a few times, mostly being laughed out of the room for saying such a thing about the long term Barcelona goalkeeper.

For me he's not Barcelona quality though, simple as that.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #246 on: April 25, 2012, 02:00:45 pm »
Barcelona's top scorers this season:

Messi - 63
Fabregas - 15
Sanchez - 14

Says it all really.

It says they've missed Villa quite badly to me.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline jotirori

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 25, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »
I think it's too simple to blame their form on Villa's injury. Villa wasn't actually having the best season and was missing sitters left and right too.

What hurt Barca is the thin squad, particularly in defense. And they have been playing so many games these couple of years the fatigue finally caught up with them.
Agree till some extend.I never understand why people criticize Villa since he arrived at Barcelona.He is playing out his natural position  + Messi and still getting 15-20 goals per season? 
same with Del Bosque at some point  to accomodate Torres in that first XI.Still Spain won the WC thanks to him.

They need a striker, no doubt about it.Villa is getting old and He will  leave Barcelona sooner rather than later.But he is GOD :)

I am sure Barcelona will try to get llorente.

They need some more signings .Villa,Puyol, Alves, Xavi are at the last stages of their careers.It is said both J.Alba and A.Vazquez deals are almost done.The scary thing about them is they have a lot of talent in La Masia.I want them to fail , but I cannot see them but dominating Europe.They still will be among the top3  European clubs for the years to come.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:10:07 pm by jotirori »

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #248 on: April 25, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »
They've missed Abidal the most. Whether against Chelsea or Real Madrid, having Abidal at LB would've definitely prevented Drogba from scoring at Stamford and Ronaldo at the Camp Nou.

Guardiola's insistence on playing the one-trick-pony Tello was another big mistake. He's played 2 games and he's already been found out, a step over and run towards the by-line to cross. And when's he presented with a one-on-one, he always plays it to the far side. An off-form Pedro would've still been a much other option as he has already scored in a Champions League final before so he's used to the pressure and expectations.

Mascherano for all his defending skills, is terrible at CB. His positioning is awful and is responsible for Drogba and Ronaldo's goals. Also another goal against Milan when he ruined the offside trap.

Last point, fatigue played a huge role in Barca's week, it seemed obvious that around the 70-minute mark, all of Barca's players had run out of steam. That's what you get when you insist on playing Messi for 90 minutes when you're 2-3 goals up against weak opposition in the league.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2012, 02:15:17 pm »
Guardiola's insistence on playing the one-trick-pony Tello was another big mistake. He's played 2 games and he's already been found out, a step over and run towards the by-line to cross. And when's he presented with a one-on-one, he always plays it to the far side.
Jesus, how harsh it that? You could be right in the end, but found out after 2 games? When you're playing in a Champions League semi-final at 20 years of age?

Offline SMASHerano

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #250 on: April 25, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »
Jesus, how harsh it that? You could be right in the end, but found out after 2 games? When you're playing in a Champions League semi-final at 20 years of age?

It's a bit harsh I agree, but he's tried it 4 times against Arbeloa, who isn't the quickest of defenders, and every time it failed. He tried it against yesterday, I think it was against Ramires at one point and he still failed. That's when he decided to stop trying it and kept passing the ball to the centre like Dani Alves on the other side.

Offline redbanky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:01 pm »
There you go !

Thought you were referring to this post:

Where to begin, where to begin...

Alright, I'll start with the constant condescending manners of the clubs. "The right way to play football". There is no fucking right way to play football, and if there were, they're doing it wrong. One of the most effective ways to defend is to keep the ball, and Barca realized that a long time ago. They're not entertaining, they're just extremely fucking good at what they do. They constantly insult every other football club on the planet when they say "the Barca way is the only way". Fuck right off.

Secondly, I'll go with "Mes Que Un Club". Barcelona and Catalonia in particular is based on regional nationalism which is dangerous and completely indefendable. Needless to say, it has no place in football.

Thirdly, I'll go with the systematical pursuading of the referee. Now, before I watch Barca I always make sure I count the amont of times they surround the referee. I also count the amount of times we, LFC, do it, to have a reference point. Each time I watch them, they surround the referee to force out a card (whilst some other player is half-dying from a slight nudge) twice or thrice a game. They've done it twice this game already, and if things don't go their way, they will do it again. And again. And again. It's disgraceful. And to give you the reference point, LFC don't do it often. About once every fifth game and even then it's not in Barcelona-style. The only time I can honestly say we acted like Barca would do, i.e surrounding the referee, was Fulham (A) this season after Jay Spearing's red card. And guess what, we were actually fined for that. Barca of course, never are.

And to top it off I'll go with the debt. The debt they, nor Real Madrid for that matter, seem to have any interest in paying off. Despite the fact that Spain as a country on a whole are fucked economically. They just add to the debt to buy players they don't need for money they don't have to impress people that don't care. The whole Fabregas-saga is an excellent example of that, or last season when they actually added to the debt to pay wages. All this whilst adding to the myth that Barca only have homegrown players. Fuck right off with that, they're not homegrown, they're just stolen from an early age. And I'm ashamed to say that with the EPPP it looks like english clubs want to be no better.

So, rant over. I will never hate a club as much as I hate Barca. And that goes for United as well.

Edit: Oh, and I know what the Chelsea-fans did. And I despise Chelsea, don't get me wrong on that. I just despise Barca ten times more. And I'm not sure how that makes me a c*nt.
"Mit hjerte banker stadig for Liverpool. Det har det altid gjort. Det vil det altid gřre."

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2012, 02:29:01 pm »
graham hunter summed it up best. the phrase "they haven't got a plan b" is just lazy. we're talking about a team who regularly play 3 or 4 different formations in one match. barca going out had nothing to do with "not having a plan b", it was to do with poor lapses of concentration at the back and lack of finishing.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2012, 02:31:15 pm »
graham hunter summed it up best. the phrase "they haven't got a plan b" is just lazy. we're talking about a team who regularly play 3 or 4 different formations in one match. barca going out had nothing to do with "not having a plan b", it was to do with poor lapses of concentration at the back and lack of finishing.
Quite right.

When people say 'Plan B' they mean 'Lump the ball into the box'.

Offline No Appreciation of Liverpool Opposition

• Won't get out of bed for Palace. Gimme an N! Gimme a U! Gimme an M! (yet still needs it spelt out!)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • My blog
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »
football teams lose, you can't win every game. Simple.
I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring

Gaston Ramirez.

Offline SMASHerano

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:31 pm »

Real Madrid reaction after Torres scored.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2012, 02:42:58 pm »
Barca could do with having the bald Algerian that Madrid currently have up top.

I'm just thankful Ferguson never got his hands on him. Fuck that would have been scary.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »
Barca could do with having the bald Algerian that Madrid currently have up top.

I'm just thankful Ferguson never got his hands on him. Fuck that would have been scary.

Technically, isn't he french? But I agree they could do with him and he could do as good a job out wide as villa did for them.

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2012, 02:48:43 pm »
Agree till some extend.I never understand why people criticize Villa since he arrived at Barcelona.He is playing out his natural position  + Messi and still getting 15-20 goals per season? 
same with Del Bosque at some point  to accomodate Torres in that first XI.Still Spain won the WC thanks to him.

They need a striker, no doubt about it.Villa is getting old and He will  leave Barcelona sooner rather than later.But he is GOD :)

I am sure Barcelona will try to get llorente.

They need some more signings .Villa,Puyol, Alves, Xavi are at the last stages of their careers.It is said both J.Alba and A.Vazquez deals are almost done.The scary thing about them is they have a lot of talent in La Masia.I want them to fail , but I cannot see them but dominating Europe.They still will be among the top3  European clubs for the years to come.
Why would they get Llorente when they already tried that route with Ibrahimovic? It didn't work. Because Messi is their best player and he is going to play in the center. The rest of the strikers would have to accommodate him, not the other way around.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »
Quite right.

When people say 'Plan B' they mean 'Lump the ball into the box'.

it's typical english football fan mentality. a lot of fans in this country actually find watching barca "boring" because it's pass pass pass and they're more akin to their teams being more direct. well i'd rather watch barca any day over any team in the premier league era. only the arsenal invincibles come anywhere near in terms of attacking flair.

i don't see fans over here lambasting swansea for "not having a plan b". they stick to their principles and they should be commended for that. they aren't going to lump it forward for the sake of it because the style is ingrained in them from the manager.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2012, 02:51:51 pm »
Why would they get Llorente when they already tried that route with Ibrahimovic? It didn't work. Because Messi is their best player and he is going to play in the center. The rest of the strikers would have to accommodate him, not the other way around.

Tbf messi has recently played behind sanchez, who has taken up the number 9 slot so its like they adverse to using a center forward. Ibrahimovic didn't work as he didn't move much by the end and was static. Llorente isn't static in his movement.

Offline Bjinxi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2012, 02:52:20 pm »
That's what they thought of when they went for Ibrahimovic.  Didn't work out so they went back to a small mobile forward, replacing Etoo with Villa.  They've just had a bad patch at the wrong time.  A few additions to freshen up the squad and they'll be fine

yeah but I never really rated Imbrahimovic. Of course his stats speak for him but he is kind of a player who has a too big ego and a very low work rate I always thought. I think someone like Llorente would suit them more than Ibrahimovic did.

Offline jotirori

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: April 25, 2012, 02:55:13 pm »
Ibra did not leave Barcelona for tactical reasons.Pep loves that kind of strikers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:59:29 pm by jotirori »

Offline thereader

• Weerrrdapeeepeeehllllllll!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2012, 02:56:53 pm »
Ibrahimovic didn't work out that badly although you'd think so when he's talked about at Barcelona, 21 goals and 13 assists in 2009-10, they won the league again with record points and only narrowly went out to Inter in the CL.

Offline thereader

• Weerrrdapeeepeeehllllllll!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2012, 03:00:47 pm »
"I've transmitted this crazy theme of 'you have to go out and attack, attack, attack'," said Guardiola.

"Maybe it's a lesson for the future? We have to find the way to attack better."

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2012, 03:04:23 pm »
if only Barca had big Andy...he puts teams into finals! :D
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2012, 03:09:17 pm »
I've never been a big fan of Valdes and i've said as much a few times, mostly being laughed out of the room for saying such a thing about the long term Barcelona goalkeeper.

For me he's not Barcelona quality though, simple as that.

valdes is an interesting case.  it appears they've compromised on the quality of the keeper as an actual goalkeeper for the sake of having another very good exponent of the way the rest of the team play football.  he's undoubtedly very good at the short passing game, and starting attacks by keeping the ball moving quickly and accurately with his feet; maybe the best in the world, although it's difficult to gauge as few other teams play so consistently intricately in such close proximity to their own goal.  as a goalkeeper he's good but not great.

in any case, as most opponents are suffocated by possession further up the pitch there are hardly any opportunities for his weaknesses to be exposed.  thus the plan is only ever really tested against real and the european giants (and chelsea).  even then he is usually good enough, and they have the trophies to prove it.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline BlaugranaPride

• Kopite
« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2012, 03:28:08 pm »
Rumours are saying Van Persie can be the next barcelona striker for next season, is he really that good as people say? i didn't see much of him to be honest.
MÉS QUE UN CLUB

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »
Rumours are saying Van Persie can be the next barcelona striker for next season, is he really that good as people say? i didn't see much of him to be honest.

Is he any different to Ibrahimovich?

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »
Is he any different to Ibrahimovich?
Quite a bit different.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2012, 03:38:07 pm »
I'd say the people that use the 'plan b' argument, haven't got a plan b.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2012, 03:40:56 pm »
The only thing that really irritates me about the current FC Barcelona team (who I believe to be the best team of all time), is all the cheating and play-acting from their players. It's not just Barcelona of course, I know that it's a big problem in La Liga but it's highly frustrating all the same.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »
The only thing that really irritates me about the current FC Barcelona team (who I believe to be the best team of all time), is all the cheating and play-acting from their players. It's not just Barcelona of course, I know that it's a big problem in La Liga but it's highly frustrating all the same.

i imagine after last night the barca fans are saying the same thing about chelsea.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2012, 04:02:10 pm »
still the best team in the world.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »
big problem in La Liga? fucking hell look at bit closer to home here in England.

I think it does say a fair bit to be honest, a team that enjoys as much possession and creates as many chances as Barca should have at least another 1 or 2 players scoring 20 goals. I know Villa probably would have had 20-25 goals if he weren't injured but for me Sanchez should have a lot more goals. I didn't see much of him at Udinese but I've not been impressed by him at all this season and fail to see where all last summers hype came from? Is he playing in a vastly different role at Barca?

Sanchez has impressed me, in my eyes hes been very good, he's pretty clinical, he's fast and suprisingly he wins a lot of balls in the air by using his strength, he's built like tevez
He's had quite a few knocks this season and Pep has always been careful with him once he's returned to fitness, has come off the bench quite a lot.

They've missed Afellay as an option this season too, he's a better version of Tello, really direct and great dribbler.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline JordLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »
Barca really could have done with a target man last night, Chelsea had everyone back in the box and Barca's standard "walk it in" tactic was never going to pay off while that was the case. Look at other teams, If the whole opposition were back defending it's highly likely they would be throwing the ball into the box. Problem is, they don't have a Fernando Llorente (yet?).  They can play around teams all day, Chelsea just simply were a barrier.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2012, 04:06:44 pm »

They are ponderous with the ball.

No they arent. What an absurd suggestion

They just were v Chelsea for some reason.
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Red Being

• Anny Roader
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2012, 04:07:11 pm »

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2012, 04:16:35 pm »
They will be back.

Maybe this magical plan b should be taking their chances. Because that was their problem, not the style of play. Despite Chelsea's flat back nine they still made more than enough chances to win the tie a few times over.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2012, 04:17:54 pm »
Barca really could have done with a target man last night, Chelsea had everyone back in the box and Barca's standard "walk it in" tactic was never going to pay off while that was the case. Look at other teams, If the whole opposition were back defending it's highly likely they would be throwing the ball into the box. Problem is, they don't have a Fernando Llorente (yet?).  They can play around teams all day, Chelsea just simply were a barrier.
target man wasnt the problem

Messi missing a penalty and people like Busquets rushing shots when presented with good opportunities was the problem

similar to Real at the weekend when Xavi and Sanchez missed goood chances and again at stamford bridge last week

3 games where they were not clinical.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England