Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 264946 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #3440 on: December 8, 2020, 07:48:02 pm »
:/

Did you manage to get a GPU?
I was waiting on the reviews of the 6900xt and to be honest I'm even more confused. Some of the earlier videos I saw showed a very decent uptick in 4k over the 6800xt and beating the 3090 in almost every test. That's not backed up by some of the stuff I've watched today.

Add into that the RT performance on AMD being absolutely fucking pants and I'm starting to lean to the 3080ti and just holding out.... #1stworldproblems

Example benchmarks:
6900xt vs. 6800xt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlrDjEPK3U

6900xt vs. 3090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2h5nniNpUQ

6900xt beats them both ::)
« Last Edit: December 8, 2020, 07:59:57 pm by Xmas Drama? Tit-job Camara! »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3442 on: December 9, 2020, 04:20:25 pm »
I was waiting on the reviews of the 6900xt and to be honest I'm even more confused. Some of the earlier videos I saw showed a very decent uptick in 4k over the 6800xt and beating the 3090 in almost every test. That's not backed up by some of the stuff I've watched today.

Add into that the RT performance on AMD being absolutely fucking pants and I'm starting to lean to the 3080ti and just holding out.... #1stworldproblems

Example benchmarks:
6900xt vs. 6800xt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlrDjEPK3U

6900xt vs. 3090
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2h5nniNpUQ

6900xt beats them both ::)

Screw YouTube reviews, TechPowerUp is best for GPU reviews. They have such a huge suite and do a good 'overall' comparison at different resolutions:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6900-xt/35.html

I agree though 6900XT isn't worth it, neither is the 3090.
:D

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3443 on: December 9, 2020, 05:04:39 pm »
Is there a rough timeline on when you'll be able to just casually hop on a site and buy a 3080 at a normal price?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3444 on: December 9, 2020, 05:20:56 pm »
Is there a rough timeline on when you'll be able to just casually hop on a site and buy a 3080 at a normal price?
April according to Nvidia themselves
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3445 on: December 9, 2020, 05:31:08 pm »

Well that's pretty wank, hopefully it has a decent lifespan. On the plus side it might actually be time for me to build a new PC by then.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3446 on: December 10, 2020, 06:01:23 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good gaming laptop. I use my laptop tonnes so want one it’s really good processing power. I would be using it mostly for work, video calling, presentations etc but want to be able to play flight simulator.

Ideally looking to pay around 1000

Cheers

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3447 on: December 10, 2020, 06:08:07 pm »

My lad is looking to upgrade to a 3060 ti. Is it worth waiting to get a 3080? I'm still clueless as to what all this means to be fair.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3448 on: December 10, 2020, 10:51:11 pm »
My lad is looking to upgrade to a 3060 ti. Is it worth waiting to get a 3080? I'm still clueless as to what all this means to be fair.

Unless he is looking mainly at 4k, the 3060Ti or 3070 are plenty and not worth the extra hassle of trying to track down a 3080.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3449 on: December 11, 2020, 12:16:37 am »
Can anyone recommend a good gaming laptop. I use my laptop tonnes so want one it’s really good processing power. I would be using it mostly for work, video calling, presentations etc but want to be able to play flight simulator.

Ideally looking to pay around 1000

If your budget can stretch a little further then something like the following ones would be a good option:

https://www.box.co.uk/81Y6005VUK-Lenovo-Legion-5i-15_2943293.html
https://www.box.co.uk/AORUS-5-KB-7UK1131SH-AORUS-5_2932841.html

No real skimping on any of the main specs and you get dlss in supported games compared with a 1660Ti, albeit you'll probably need a separate webcam as those don't tend to be a strong point on any gaming laptops.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3451 on: December 16, 2020, 04:35:05 pm »
Has the rumoured free games list on the Epic store been debunked? There are some insane giveaways coming up if not

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3452 on: December 16, 2020, 11:56:41 pm »
Has the rumoured free games list on the Epic store been debunked? There are some insane giveaways coming up if not

Seen some claims on reddit that it is bogus, but if I remember correctly they made similar claims last year too, guess we'll see some evidence either way when the first one goes live tomorrow.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3453 on: December 17, 2020, 08:56:14 am »
If it's the one with all those AAA games I think it's almost certainly fake though I'd love to be proved wrong
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3454 on: December 17, 2020, 11:26:06 am »
I could believe some of the list, Dying Light and Metal Gear V for example, but then the imagination is stretched when you see Horizon Zero Down. Just no way.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3455 on: December 17, 2020, 01:41:03 pm »
Is there anywhere that has the 3060ti in stock?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3456 on: December 17, 2020, 03:09:54 pm »
I could believe some of the list, Dying Light and Metal Gear V for example, but then the imagination is stretched when you see Horizon Zero Down. Just no way.

HZD is fairly feasible too, the majority of sales would have been console after all, then after the delay they got some pc sales from the steam release for a few months and now instead of any extra money coming from sales and/or bundles, they get it in one lump sum from epic instead.

Offline adruk87

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3457 on: December 17, 2020, 10:50:55 pm »
Is there anywhere that has the 3060ti in stock?
Ebay at twice the RRP...
"Corner taken quickly, ORIGI!"

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3458 on: December 18, 2020, 12:26:51 am »

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3459 on: December 19, 2020, 10:25:00 am »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable seller of Windows 10 Pro USB thumb drives please?, bought the lad a new 2TB SSD for his gaming PC, and thought I'd get him an upgraded OS to go with it, Amazon are charging £89, but thought I'd try getting it cheaper elsewhere before paying that, many thanks.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #3460 on: December 19, 2020, 07:37:13 pm »
Evening lads, I'm brand new to this gaming lark on the p.c. so my question is does anyone here play ARMA 3? if so would you awfully mind showing me what the fuck I'm doing.

cheers in advance kev. :-*
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3461 on: December 19, 2020, 09:01:36 pm »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable seller of Windows 10 Pro USB thumb drives please?, bought the lad a new 2TB SSD for his gaming PC, and thought I'd get him an upgraded OS to go with it, Amazon are charging £89, but thought I'd try getting it cheaper elsewhere before paying that, many thanks.
If you have Windows 7 or 8, just use the same key:
https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

If you need to get the key, use Produkey (Disable any Anti-Malware/AV software). https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3462 on: December 20, 2020, 07:13:28 am »
Evening lads, I'm brand new to this gaming lark on the p.c. so my question is does anyone here play ARMA 3? if so would you awfully mind showing me what the fuck I'm doing.

cheers in advance kev. :-*

Haven't played ARMA in long enough that I'd be any use to you, but something like this might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXdTQ27yt9I

There are basically loads of beginners guides covering different aspects on youtube.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3463 on: December 20, 2020, 02:47:46 pm »
I had been planning to get a 5600X but noticed on Friday that a local shop had some 5800X in stock so I decided to go for it. For the GPU I already own a 5700XT which I'll keep but I bought an Asus Rog B550-F to put it all together on. Just waiting for some games to download now, can't wait to see how it performs, for sure it'll be an improvement on my old intel 6600. 

Only thing so far that I don't like is that the idle temperature is about 55c, seems a little on the high side, but we'll see how it goes.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3464 on: December 20, 2020, 05:36:06 pm »
If you have Windows 7 or 8, just use the same key:
https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

If you need to get the key, use Produkey (Disable any Anti-Malware/AV software). https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
He has Windows 10 Home version, so I just wanted to upgrade his OS for his new SSD, got one on eBay for about £50

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3465 on: December 20, 2020, 06:55:33 pm »
He has Windows 10 Home version, so I just wanted to upgrade his OS for his new SSD, got one on eBay for about £50

You could just clone the drive, but I am not sure on your skill level? A couple of pitfalls are the current hard drive usage and how you connect both up. You have to ensure that you have enough room for the clone of the hard drive to the new SSD, so bigger is better. Then you need to connect both hard drive together to do a direct clone, or you could use an external hard drive to make an image of the hard drive to that, and then write the image to the new SSD. You can do all this for free, and windows will automatically detect the SSD and adjust the settings and use the correct drivers on bootup.

I tend to use Macrium reflect to do all this, it is quick, easy (depending on your tech knowledge) and free. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

If you need any help, let me know and I will try my best to get you setup.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3466 on: December 21, 2020, 05:02:10 pm »
Ahh well, the Epic list was not as epic as imagined!

Cities: Skylines - December 17th
Oddworld: New n Tasty - December 18th
The Long Dark - December 19th
Defense Grid: The Awakening - December 20th
Alien: Isolation - December 21st
Metro 2033 - December 22nd
Tropico 5 - December 23rd
INSIDE - December 24th
Darkest Dungeon - December 25th
My Time in Portia - December 26th
Night in the Woods - December 27th
Stranded Deep - December 28th
Solitairica - December 29th
Torchlight 2 - December 30th
Jurassic World Evolution - December 31st
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3467 on: December 21, 2020, 05:53:10 pm »
Ahh well, the Epic list was not as epic as imagined!

Cities: Skylines - December 17th
Oddworld: New n Tasty - December 18th
The Long Dark - December 19th
Defense Grid: The Awakening - December 20th
Alien: Isolation - December 21st
Metro 2033 - December 22nd
Tropico 5 - December 23rd
INSIDE - December 24th
Darkest Dungeon - December 25th
My Time in Portia - December 26th
Night in the Woods - December 27th
Stranded Deep - December 28th
Solitairica - December 29th
Torchlight 2 - December 30th
Jurassic World Evolution - December 31st

Alien: Isolation & Metro 2033 are quality games.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #3468 on: December 21, 2020, 06:22:47 pm »
If you've not got Darkest Dungeon, free isn't bad. It gets grindy but the narrator sells that game so well.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Matt_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #3469 on: December 21, 2020, 11:34:33 pm »
Anyone have a 3080 on pre order and are you getting an estimated shipping date?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3470 on: December 22, 2020, 05:33:03 am »
Alien: Isolation & Metro 2033 are quality games.
As is, Inside

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3471 on: December 22, 2020, 10:36:34 pm »
You could just clone the drive, but I am not sure on your skill level? A couple of pitfalls are the current hard drive usage and how you connect both up. You have to ensure that you have enough room for the clone of the hard drive to the new SSD, so bigger is better. Then you need to connect both hard drive together to do a direct clone, or you could use an external hard drive to make an image of the hard drive to that, and then write the image to the new SSD. You can do all this for free, and windows will automatically detect the SSD and adjust the settings and use the correct drivers on bootup.

I tend to use Macrium reflect to do all this, it is quick, easy (depending on your tech knowledge) and free. https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

If you need any help, let me know and I will try my best to get you setup.
Yeah I know all that, but I favour a fresh install.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3472 on: December 22, 2020, 11:51:01 pm »
Anyone have a 3080 on pre order and are you getting an estimated shipping date?

I bought my first gaming P.C. last week so not really a clue what's what but its got a NVidia 3080 in it, tried Warzone earlier and it freezes now and again.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline Matt_Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #3473 on: December 23, 2020, 01:05:42 pm »
If anyone is desperate, i got a 3070 from PC World getting delivered today. Not sure how long they will stay in stock for though

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3474 on: December 24, 2020, 10:32:44 am »
If anyone is desperate, i got a 3070 from PC World getting delivered today. Not sure how long they will stay in stock for though

3070's seem to be available most days on Currys/PC World, always the £650+ cards and they don't last long though, I picked up a cheaper card a couple of days ago from CCL who seem to have a few each morning, just need to check their site around 9am and keep refreshing it
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 08:12:27 pm by FiSh77 »

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3475 on: December 24, 2020, 02:42:18 pm »
This game looks great. i have been playing the forest for a while. that was a very addictive game. if you like survival games and lost tv series you will love this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IwvhH3islZw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IwvhH3islZw</a>
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 02:44:45 pm by Kopout »

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3476 on: December 24, 2020, 04:56:13 pm »
3070's seem to be available most days on Currys/PC World, always the £650+ cards and they don't last long though, I picked one up a cheaper card a couple of days ago from CCL who seem to have a few each morning, just need to check their site around 9am and keep refreshing it

CCL are the best, as soon as the item is in your cart it's yours (as long as you checkout within 15 minutes). They have such a robust system compared to any other retailer.

Best thing to do is to go on each item you want and subscribe to email alerts, takes a little while to setup but as long as you're quick on your email you'll get a card. They're not on Stockinformer etc.
:D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3477 on: December 24, 2020, 08:12:05 pm »
CCL are the best, as soon as the item is in your cart it's yours (as long as you checkout within 15 minutes). They have such a robust system compared to any other retailer.

Best thing to do is to go on each item you want and subscribe to email alerts, takes a little while to setup but as long as you're quick on your email you'll get a card. They're not on Stockinformer etc.

I missed out on all the email alerts, by the time I got them the stock was gone, even got an alert for the card I bought about 5 mins after I'd already paid ;D

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3478 on: December 31, 2020, 06:55:29 pm »
Rather than starting a new thread, i've been looking at gaming desktops so i can play simulators like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, [i have a playstation 4 for stuff like Red Dead Redemption II ;)] but haven't got a clue what to look for, i don't have the money to buy a gaming desktop now but looking at maybe in a couple of months, hoping i can get a bundle for less than £1k?
#Sausages

Offline kev_goss

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3479 on: January 1, 2021, 11:39:57 am »
This game looks great. i have been playing the forest for a while. that was a very addictive game. if you like survival games and lost tv series you will love this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IwvhH3islZw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IwvhH3islZw</a>

Oooo can't wait for that!!!!!!     Did you not find the white bald fuckers underground arseholes when you first started out total shits. Game was hard enough without them chasing you all over the place while your lost. :)
Dalai Lama