Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1809995 times)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #16240 on: September 8, 2019, 11:37:20 am »
We're signing that lad from Lyon for midfield next summer lads, Aouar and #Mbappe2020 will do for me.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16241 on: September 9, 2019, 03:57:01 pm »
Against some of the genuine park the bus teams I'd love to see Ox play in Henderson's position and Keita in Gini's position. Might see it in the League Cup against Milton Keynes later this month.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #16242 on: September 11, 2019, 03:44:16 pm »
We're signing that lad from Lyon for midfield next summer lads, Aouar and #Mbappe2020 will do for me.

Aouar Misses!

Would be a great headline.

(I have heard about this lad, and would agree).
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #16243 on: September 22, 2019, 07:43:50 pm »
0 goals from our entire midfield these 7 games is not good.

Looking forward to seeing more of Naby and Ox in our team soon.

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #16244 on: September 22, 2019, 08:45:30 pm »
Trent scored. The 3 in our midfield are not tasked to score. Robertson and Trent actually provide the overlapping run wide, so opening up Salah and Mane to make the creative passes, runs or the penetration balls. Having Ox and Keita will possibly add some more goals but not a massive difference given how we play now. I don't see klopp changing the pattern of the midfield. So a few runs into the box when Keita or Ox plays maybe. If they do that consistently then the full backs have to drop to cover the counter. So I don't think there will be a huge difference to creating chances or goals either way. It is just that our thinking is drilled with a attacking midfielder scoring goals and creating chances. Klopp broke that pattern with the full back proving to be the players providing the passes. That results in our wide forwards scoring more like strikers when in reality none of the front 3 are classified to be strikers traditionally and when they arrived here none thought we were getting a striker. I  guess the fault is in our football education. 😊
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #16245 on: September 22, 2019, 08:52:14 pm »

Fabinho and Henderson are great but aren't likely to score many, they have other functions in the team.

We need that third midfielder to contribute though. Gini doesn't do enough for me, at least away from home a lot of the time. Ox or Keita can hopefully do more if they can get fully up to speed and stay fit.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16246 on: September 22, 2019, 09:13:39 pm »

That's not going to change. The midfield wasn't scoring last year either and it won't this year. Their job isn't to score. That's quite clear by now

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16247 on: September 22, 2019, 09:14:54 pm »

Who would you drop from your preferred Milner/Gini/Ox midfield to accommodate Naby though?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16248 on: September 22, 2019, 09:18:44 pm »
That's not going to change. The midfield wasn't scoring last year either and it won't this year. Their job isn't to score. That's quite clear by now

Yeah and what did our midfield achieve last season? Exactly, proved his point.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #16249 on: September 22, 2019, 09:20:44 pm »
Two of Henderson, Milner and Gini gives us problems in buildup and creativity IMO. One is enough, and should be replaced by Keita or Ox. But yeah, six wins so not gonna happen. This Klopp fella seems to know quite well what to do.

Fabinho though, he's just a level above the rest.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16250 on: September 22, 2019, 09:21:47 pm »

Not to throw meaningless stats around, but Tom Cleverley has scored more this season than our entire midfield. Fact.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16251 on: September 22, 2019, 09:28:38 pm »
If Wijnaldum could shoot as well as he does everything else he'd be an all time great. As it stands think he'll settle for being part of all time teams
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16252 on: September 22, 2019, 09:31:46 pm »
It really shouldn't be so difficult for us to keep the ball considering how good we are.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16253 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:32 pm »
It really shouldn't be so difficult for us to keep the ball considering how good we are.

When you're tired, you make mistakes in possession.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16254 on: September 22, 2019, 10:39:48 pm »
Trent scored. The 3 in our midfield are not tasked to score. Robertson and Trent actually provide the overlapping run wide, so opening up Salah and Mane to make the creative passes, runs or the penetration balls. Having Ox and Keita will possibly add some more goals but not a massive difference given how we play now. I don't see klopp changing the pattern of the midfield. So a few runs into the box when Keita or Ox plays maybe. If they do that consistently then the full backs have to drop to cover the counter. So I don't think there will be a huge difference to creating chances or goals either way. It is just that our thinking is drilled with a attacking midfielder scoring goals and creating chances. Klopp broke that pattern with the full back proving to be the players providing the passes. That results in our wide forwards scoring more like strikers when in reality none of the front 3 are classified to be strikers traditionally and when they arrived here none thought we were getting a striker. I  guess the fault is in our football education. 😊

That's the problem, when you rely heavily on fullbacks to create. In big games away from home, especially when we go 1 - 0 up, our fullbacks seem to play more conservatively in these games and unlike most top teams midfielders, ours that we tend to pick for these games (milner, hendo, fab, gini) aren't able to simply up their creativity to compensate.  It's one of the big reasons our win rate in these games in the last yr or so is so patchy compared to City

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #16255 on: September 22, 2019, 10:43:51 pm »
Fabinho and Henderson are great but aren't likely to score many, they have other functions in the team.

We need that third midfielder to contribute though. Gini doesn't do enough for me, at least away from home a lot of the time. Ox or Keita can hopefully do more if they can get fully up to speed and stay fit.

Why do we need it?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #16256 on: September 22, 2019, 11:15:29 pm »
When you're tired, you make mistakes in possession.

Unless you're Pogba

In which case, you don't even need to be tired
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16257 on: September 22, 2019, 11:15:37 pm »
Why do we need it?

Because we may well end up struggling for goals at points this season, and that third midfielder slot is our best shot to add more goals to the team

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16258 on: September 23, 2019, 12:34:05 am »
If Wijnaldum could shoot as well as he does everything else he'd be an all time great. As it stands think he'll settle for being part of all time teams

Is he an archaeologist?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #16259 on: September 23, 2019, 01:28:59 am »
Because we may well end up struggling for goals at points this season, and that third midfielder slot is our best shot to add more goals to the team

... or the midfield continue to be the platform that keeps on helping us win, as it has for so long?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16260 on: September 23, 2019, 02:29:45 am »

Keeping the ball under pressure, maybe isn't one of the things that we are good at, (today we weren't that good at using the ball either, I can barely remember a chance we created from open play!).  Especially when you look at the characteristics of our midfield players, we are brilliant at many other things though (pressing, tracking runners, staying fit, positioning).

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #16261 on: September 23, 2019, 03:12:56 am »

The other players are also good, and they want the ball too. Possession isn't that easy, that's why clubs pay good money for people who can do it (and also for Pogba)
Better looking than Samie.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16262 on: September 23, 2019, 04:31:11 am »
I don't think you spend over £120m in transfer fees with the resulting wages in a 12 month period on one part of the team unless you believe it could and should be better.  That doesn't mean Klopp and the players here before don't deserve commendation and adoration for the way they've molded the midfield to really amazing heights since those players were added.  They of course do.

With that said I think today's game, and even Napoli in midweek, highlight why the club saw this as something that needed to be improved.  Klopp and Co. have created this amazingly effective system where Salah is front and center and then the fullbacks are the creative hub servicing him and the rest of the front 3.  The midfield is there to contain and press and 90%+ of the time in the last 18-24 months it works amazingly well.

The issue though is TAA and Robbo still need to defend as they are after all defenders.  The midfield can't take over defending their space as they still need to contest midfield as well.  You then end up at times where the front 3 is completely cutoff from any effective service when TAA and Robbo are pushed back and have to defend.  We then resort to long punts up the field in the general direction of Salah which means the ball is coming right back at us.  This is of course oversimplified but on the whole that's what we saw for the last 35 minutes of the game yesterday.

Ask yourself this, if Ox never blows out his knee and Keita replicates his RBL form while not picking up injuries are they not starting every game with Fabinho?  In my mind they are and it then means TAA and Robbo are the icing on the cake, not the flour and we're not as susceptible to one off games where they're nullified and we end up kind of toothless.  Yes we scored two goals but when you look at our offensive stats from that game that was not a great performance especially against a Chelsea team that seem to want to give up scoring chances for fun.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #16263 on: September 23, 2019, 04:39:11 am »
Is he an archaeologist?
He's visited many a pit, and dug us out of many a hole, and brushed off a load of fossils and antiques
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #16264 on: September 23, 2019, 08:06:42 am »
Ask yourself this, if Ox never blows out his knee and Keita replicates his RBL form while not picking up injuries are they not starting every game with Fabinho?  In my mind they are and it then means TAA and Robbo are the icing on the cake, not the flour and we're not as susceptible to one off games where they're nullified and we end up kind of toothless.  Yes we scored two goals but when you look at our offensive stats from that game that was not a great performance especially against a Chelsea team that seem to want to give up scoring chances for fun.

I dunno. I think Gini and Hendo are actually both pretty decent going forward. Not as good as Ox or Keita, but they are each useful, particularly for scoring goals. Gini in particular has demonstrated this for the Netherlands.

I don't think failing to score was as much down to our midfield not being capable of contributing. I think we made a tactical decision (as we did all last season) not to press the midfield into more attacking positions.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #16265 on: September 23, 2019, 08:33:08 am »
Naby was starting to score goals towards the end of last season, Ox definitely got goals in him too.

Even bigger problem is that not only our current AMs don't score goals or even look likely to they also don't create anything. In one of the most attacking teams in the world it shouldn't be acceptable. Changes should be made and if it doesn't work fair enough, but we need to demand more than 0 goals and 0 assists. That's just really bad.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #16266 on: September 23, 2019, 08:49:39 am »

I think it's misleading to assume that just because our midfield didn't score last season it thereby means they're not set out to score.
Certainly, Henderson, Milner, and Wijnaldum aren't going to score goals, but that's partly because of their profile.
I'm fairly certain had Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita played (or were available) for the majority of the season than we'd see the goalscoring stats increase for that position.

I think it's more accurate to say that the way we play, and with the attacking three that we have, that a midfield that doesn't contribute in scoring isn't going to be a potential key obstacle for us to win. But it doesn't mean we're not set up for the midfield to score. It's why we brought in Oxlade-Chamberlain and Keita, midfielders with the profile that checks several boxes for Klopp (physical, quick, technical, eye for a goal+pass, quick on the ball,and comfortable making the risky pass, comfortable on the ball under pressure) and unfortunately injuries have prevented us from seeing exactly what Klopp expects from his midfield.

It's funny to think that the players brought in to challenge Wijnaldum, Milner, and Henderson (in his current role), haven't been available for the majority of their time here. Imagine how different our midfield could look or benefit from having both of them healthy and active for an extended period of time.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16267 on: September 23, 2019, 08:50:09 am »
Naby was starting to score goals towards the end of last season, Ox definitely got goals in him too.

Even bigger problem is that not only our current AMs don't score goals or even look likely to they also don't create anything. In one of the most attacking teams in the world it shouldn't be acceptable. Changes should be made and if it doesn't work fair enough, but we need to demand more than 0 goals and 0 assists. That's just really bad.

Margins for error are very slim. We are on 15 game winning streak. Coming off a 97 point season. Whatever we are doing is working as well as it probably can.

I am afraid Keita and Ox will have to earn their way into the first XI by putting in excellent performances in cup games.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16268 on: September 23, 2019, 10:07:06 am »

1 goal and 4 assists for David Silva and 2 goals and 7 assists for KDB in the league so far this season. Henderson and Wijnaldum have yet to register a goal or an assist in the league yet. Given the output of their front three is similar to our front three then you can not expect our full backs to make up the difference. If this is by design, then it's just a bad design.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16269 on: September 23, 2019, 10:10:21 am »
1 goal and 4 assists for David Silva and 2 goals and 7 assists for KDB in the league so far this season. Henderson and Wijnaldum have yet to register a goal or an assist in the league yet. Given the output of their front three is similar to our front three then you can not expect our full backs to make up the difference. If this is by design, then it's just a bad design.

But we are top of the league.... I would say how easily we're conceding chances it seems, or not being able to keep the ball adequately enough in parts of the game yesterday is more of a worry than the midfielder scoring more goals.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16270 on: September 23, 2019, 10:31:26 am »
Yeah. Finishing on 97 points and winning the CL last season was awful.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16271 on: September 23, 2019, 10:34:37 am »
But we are top of the league.... I would say how easily we're conceding chances it seems, or not being able to keep the ball adequately enough in parts of the game yesterday is more of a worry than the midfielder scoring more goals.

Perhaps the two are linked? Our midfield historically aren't prolific to say the least, but they do work their socks off and break up lots of play to help the defence. Fabinho does a great job but are Hendo and Gini as effective? It will be interesting when Naby returns as part of his game is a terrier like desire to clase down and get the ball. Whatever happens a few more goals from midfield would be useful.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16272 on: September 23, 2019, 10:42:42 am »
Yeah. Finishing on 97 points and winning the CL last season was awful.

I liked it when you quoted a post directly comparing us to City then actually posted '97 points' in your reply.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16273 on: September 23, 2019, 10:46:17 am »

18/19 Stats:

Goals from City's midfield = 17 (D Silva, B Silva, KDB, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Foden)

Goals from Liverpool's midfield = 17 (Keita, Henderson, Milner, Gini, Fabinho, Shaqiri)

---

Assists from City's midfield = 24 (KDB, D Silva, B Silva, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Delph)

Assists from Liverpool's midfield = 13 (Keita, Fab, Shaq, Hendo, Milner)

Assist from Liverpool's Full backs = 23

----

Think we're ok.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16274 on: September 23, 2019, 10:55:03 am »
I understand how and why other fans criticise our midfield but when our own fans do it it's a proper head scratcher.

We have our own plan, our own way of playing and our own way of using our midfield. 

We are innovators not sheep.

*waits for PoP to burst that bubble*

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16275 on: September 23, 2019, 10:59:14 am »
*snip*

Got my fingers crossed that KDB only plays 900 minutes again.

18/19 cumulative xG
Man City - 93.72
Liverpool - 79.46

19/20 cumulative xG
Man City - 20.99
Liverpool - 11.77

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16276 on: September 23, 2019, 11:25:14 am »
Sorry, I get how my posts just seem needlessly negative and snarky so I'll try something more meaningful: I disagree with Klopp's go to selection of Henderson-Wijnaldum. It's just too blunt. I get, with Keita injured, that his options are slightly limited but he's often gone with an overly-conservative midfield selections when more creative options were available, particularly the United and Everton 0-0s last season stand out in this regard.

Compare this to Guardiola and I think Pep hardly ever goes conservative in these situations - possibly only in the game against us at Anfield where they clearly valued workrate over creativity - and that's obvious to see why: in a direct head-to-head match against us not allowing us the three points is a huge win, mathematically. In all other games, where he knows City are going to be huge favourites then he always fields as an attacking a team as he can. Three forwards and two genuinely attack-minded midfielders. This is where they are picking up extra xG over us. This is where they are creating better and more numerous chances than us. And over the course of a 38 game season, this is where it is likely to tell.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16277 on: September 23, 2019, 11:54:14 am »
not being able to keep the ball adequately enough in parts of the game yesterday is more of a worry than the midfielder scoring more goals.

Agree with this, but:

I dunno. I think Gini and Hendo are actually both pretty decent going forward. Not as good as Ox or Keita, but they are each useful, particularly for scoring goals. Gini in particular has demonstrated this for the Netherlands.

I mean... Henderson has his traits, mostly off-the-ball in my mind, but I don't think we can ever put 'scoring goals' and 'useful' in the same sentence when it comes to describing his assets. He's not even 1 in 10 throughout his Liverpool career.

It doesn't really worry me, but his inability to help us take the sting out of opposition's momentum in the middle third does when he's not giving us anything in the final third either. He should have been hooked much earlier yesterday. Completely understandable him tiring as he put a hell of a lot in against Napoli and in the first 60, but a fresher & better technical player like Lallana or Oxlade to help us move up the pitch would've been more useful in the final 20.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 12:16:06 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16278 on: September 23, 2019, 12:02:27 pm »
Good 1st half......... 2nd half was meh. I reckon we just took for foot of the gas as it is too early in the season to go gungo like what city are doing now.

The only part that worries me is that we are playing  with a higher line compared to the previous season. The defence looks worse as a result. The stats  show that it is working points wise..... the optics of it, is another issue.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #16279 on: September 23, 2019, 12:02:56 pm »
Way i see it...

Fab should be a mainstay
Other 2 rotate accordingly but, only one of Hendo/Milly at same time in a midfield
Gini usually the other

Our midfield will perform just fine in most scenarios.....facilitating things between our exceptional front 3 and back 4

More options this season and hopefully if a couple can hit good form we'll be fine

All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.