Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2900331 times)

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
Re: Mohamed Salah - FWA and PFA Player of the Year Signs New 5 Yr Deal
« Reply #8640 on: April 4, 2019, 12:20:26 am »
This is a really weird deconstruction of that moment. Mane was clear through in the box if Salah passes and the difference between the VVD situation and the Alderwiereld's situation was the positioning of the 2nd man, Alderwiereld could n't cut the pass to Mane, which is why the ball should've gone to Mane
No he wasn't because Alderweireld never committed himself, just like the VVD situation with Son and Sissoko. The distance between Salah and Mane is less than 5 yards, Alderweireld never dived in and was in position to defend Mane if the ball was played to him.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2019, 12:29:38 am by istvan kozma »

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #8641 on: April 4, 2019, 12:30:31 am »
No he wasn't because Alderweireld never committed himself, just like the VVD situation with Son and Sissoko.

The two situations were similar but also exact opposites, Sissoko was looking for Son but wasn´t allowed to by van Dijk, Salah went straight for goal himself and by not instead exploiting the two on one situation enabled Alderweireld to in the end be in a position to stop both Salah and Mané.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8642 on: April 4, 2019, 12:38:49 am »
I just watched it again, and no, Mane was clear through with a pass
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8643 on: April 4, 2019, 12:45:09 am »
The two situations were exact opposites, Sissoko was looking for Son but wasn´t allowed to by van Dijk, Salah went straight for goal himself and by not exploiting the two on one situation enabled Alderweireld to in the end be in a position to stop both Salah and Mané.
Nah, the problem wasn't going for goal, the problem was cutting in on his left foot. You can tell his confidence is low, at the beginning of the season one v one with 25 yards to run into, even though it takes him on his right foot, he does it with out thinking, now he won't take the chance. The goal against Napoli is a perfect example, 1 of the best defenders in the world dared him to attack in on his right foot and he punished him, Alderweireld dared him on Sunday and he took the safe option.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8644 on: April 4, 2019, 12:46:33 am »
Nope, Mane wasn't in a better position. Alderweireld was positioned between Mane and Salah and never committed himself. The distance between Mane and Salah was less than 5 yards, which wasn't big enough to totally take Alderweireld out the game with 1 pass.

Right.

This is the start of the movement:

Ball has been played into Salah, he and Mane are 2v1 on Alderweireld. A ball in behind Alderweireld at this point would have set Mane away and would have worked out better for Salah at the end of it. Instead...

This is two touches later:

A pass across Alderweireld makes it a footrace that Mane might win, but also brings Lloris into play. The ball behind Alderweireld puts him on the turn and gets Salah on his blindside and running at goal.

But instead:

Salah continues to carry the ball, even though the ball to the back of Alderweireld puts Mane 1v1 with Lloris.

As the move progresses, Salah begins his turn to get the ball on his left, predictably. All defenders want play to be predictable, and this plays right into Alderweireld's hands. Crucially, at this point, the slip ball into Mane puts him 1v1 with Lloris, in the box:

Even then, the situation is not irretrievable - although Mane's marker is catching up as the momentum of the move slows down:

There's still time to play Mane in for a one-touch shot. But Salah elects to shoot himself, in an unfavourable position, fully blocked by Alderweireld, with a recovering defender now ready to double-mark and also cut out the Mane option. The result - a blocked shot and an eventual loss of possession, with Spurs regaining defensive shape around their goal:

At every point in that breakaway, Mane was the better option to unbalance the Spurs defender. As it is, Salah helped to make play predictable, wasted a 2v1 situation, and Spurs ended up with the ball. It wasn't a good decision by him at all, mate. That would be a massive coaching point for a teenage player, let alone a top class professional. Now, we has entitled to take the shot, given that he did all the hard yards, don't get me wrong. But the shot wasn't the best option when he had a 2v1 situation that could have entirely eliminated Alderweireld as a factor, if he'd made a better decision.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8645 on: April 4, 2019, 12:47:34 am »
I just watched it again, and no, Mane was clear through with a pass
I've just watched it again and Mane was never clean through. At no stage of the move was Mane on the shoulder of Alderweireld to put him clean through on goal.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8646 on: April 4, 2019, 12:50:31 am »
There's literally a post above yours pointing out three points where Mane is clear through with a pass
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #8647 on: April 4, 2019, 12:57:01 am »
Right.

Have no wish to have a go at Salah. But especially on the fourth of those stills it looks very obvious the pass was begging to be played, which is how I remember it also,
« Last Edit: April 4, 2019, 12:59:02 am by Bjornar »

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8648 on: April 4, 2019, 01:01:20 am »
Right.

Ball has been played into Salah, he and Mane are 2v1 on Alderweireld. A ball in behind Alderweireld at this point would have set Mane away and would have worked out better for Salah at the end of it. Instead...

A pass across Alderweireld makes it a footrace that Mane might win, but also brings Lloris into play. The ball behind Alderweireld puts him on the turn and gets Salah on his blindside and running at goal.

But instead:

Salah continues to carry the ball, even though the ball to the back of Alderweireld puts Mane 1v1 with Lloris.

As the move progresses, Salah begins his turn to get the ball on his left, predictably. All defenders want play to be predictable, and this plays right into Alderweireld's hands. Crucially, at this point, the slip ball into Mane puts him 1v1 with Lloris, in the box:

Even then, the situation is not irretrievable - although Mane's marker is catching up as the momentum of the move slows down:

There's still time to play Mane in for a one-touch shot. But Salah elects to shoot himself, in an unfavourable position, fully blocked by Alderweireld, with a recovering defender now ready to double-mark and also cut out the Mane option. The result - a blocked shot and an eventual loss of possession, with Spurs regaining defensive shape around their goal:

At every point in that breakaway, Mane was the better option to unbalance the Spurs defender. As it is, Salah helped to make play predictable, wasted a 2v1 situation, and Spurs ended up with the ball. It wasn't a good decision by him at all, mate. That would be a massive coaching point for a teenage player, let alone a top class professional. Now, we has entitled to take the shot, given that he did all the hard yards, don't get me wrong. But the shot wasn't the best option when he had a 2v1 situation that could have entirely eliminated Alderweireld as a factor, if he'd made a better decision.
::) Try watching it at normal speed and try watching the move from the sky cam, the game isn't played in stills. If you bothered to watch the move from the sky cam, Mane is never on the shoulder of Alderweireld to put him clean through on goal, at best he's a yard and half behind Alderweireld.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8649 on: April 4, 2019, 01:08:08 am »
Right.

But instead:

Excellent stuff, well explained. I won't say 'you can't argue with the facts', because obviously some people always will, but it's nice to be able to illustrate it like this. Wish there was a site that offered Sky/Carra's big interactive screen for fans to use, so we could go through plays like this with the footage
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8650 on: April 4, 2019, 01:08:42 am »
Mo will score this Friday ...
Hopefully wait till after the game. We need him clean and focused...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #8651 on: April 4, 2019, 09:34:31 am »
Right.
-snip-
 Now, we has entitled to take the shot, given that he did all the hard yards, don't get me wrong. But the shot wasn't the best option when he had a 2v1 situation that could have entirely eliminated Alderweireld as a factor, if he'd made a better decision.

Great post and analysis, POP.
I'd add that, not only did he pick the worse of two options (pass or take the shot), he then took the worst option in how to take the shot on. When he finally shoots, Alderweireld was actually facing his own goal with his back facing Salah. If he had a bit more confidence, which I think is what is causing his run of form, he'd have taken a little extra dribble to his right and taken the shot with his right foot.

I think he wants so badly to score, but also absolutely doesn't want to miss and worries about missing out on a potential goal, that he only trusts himself to score with his left foot. His qualities and technical skill haven't diminished, as with all strikers, his run of games without scoring has made him over think his shooting and attaccking decisions and that has made him a bit easier to prevent from scoring. If only because, he's limiting himself, rather than defences becoming his kryptonite.

I think he'll go on a run of games where he's scoring again. As far as he's concerned, he scored a goal against Tottenham, and hopefully that has lessened the tremendous pressure he places on himself.

And as Jack mentioned above, and Salah himself mentioned in his interview with Carragher, there's a different standard in our perception of him, compared to other attackers. He's having a season better than almost every season Hazard has had, and is right behind Aguero who is himself having one of his best seasons to date. This, inspite of going scoreless in 8 games. Inspite of being completely out of form, or finally getting caught on, or defences learning the cheat code to counter him.

Quite frankly, Salah is having a fantastic season, which was preceded by an absolutely amazing record breaking season. Hopefully, he adds to his goal tally, and continues to create chances for his teammates, and etching his name along with his teammates in our history, come season's end.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #8652 on: April 4, 2019, 12:22:15 pm »
last season didnt happen and we buy salah in the summer of 2018 we would be delighted with him. Mane is having a similar season goal wise and we all justifiably rave about him

some good posts from the Doc and POP about that 2 on 1, it was fairly predictable what he was going to do even if i was off my seat willing the ball into the net.

I knew he would favour the left foot and if i could read that then so could someone like Alderweireld (particularly given he is one of the best in the league the last few years)

he should have chanced going the other way and on to the right foot. Or pass to Mane

I think he has got frustrated, so much so i thought he was going to cry when we scored the winner

but a bit of luck like that might by the catalyst to restart a goal run that could propel us to the title.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline jdet90

• Kemlynite
  • Up the Reds
« Reply #8653 on: April 4, 2019, 12:54:56 pm »
::) Try watching it at normal speed and try watching the move from the sky cam, the game isn't played in stills. If you bothered to watch the move from the sky cam, Mane is never on the shoulder of Alderweireld to put him clean through on goal, at best he's a yard and half behind Alderweireld.

You are off your head mate. It's even clearer if anything at normal speed, a little through ball behind Alder would have put Mane clean through on numerous occasions.

And there is now an accumulation of these from Salah, choosing the wrong option and wasting crucial chances. We have overall got away with them, but that won't keep happening.

Needs to start choosing the right option, and quickly.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8654 on: April 4, 2019, 07:39:32 pm »
You are off your head mate. It's even clearer if anything at normal speed, a little through ball behind Alder would have put Mane clean through on numerous occasions.

And there is now an accumulation of these from Salah, choosing the wrong option and wasting crucial chances. We have overall got away with them, but that won't keep happening.

Needs to start choosing the right option, and quickly.
Nah I'm not 'off my head' my opinion just differs from yours. The co-commentators on the game, who've played nearly 2 thousand games in defence between them, actually agreed with me.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2019, 07:41:31 pm by istvan kozma »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8655 on: April 4, 2019, 07:46:16 pm »
Nah I'm not 'off my head' my opinion just differs from yours. The co-commentators on the game, who've played nearly 2 thousand games in defence between them, actually agreed with me.

That's not something you want to advertise, Istvan mate ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8656 on: April 4, 2019, 07:50:18 pm »

Which is exactly where he should be.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #8657 on: April 4, 2019, 07:54:35 pm »
Time goes by real quick in real life in the 3 seconds mo had to work with. Lets just say its Sergio Ramos's fault and leave it at that.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8658 on: April 4, 2019, 07:59:01 pm »
Time goes by real quick in real life in the 3 seconds mo had to work with. Lets just say its Sergio Ramos's fault and leave it at that.

It's nothing to worry about and certainly not something to pick apart and use as a negative towards Mo.

Sergio Ramos is a c*nt though,that we can all agree on,can't we ?

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8659 on: April 4, 2019, 08:01:38 pm »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8660 on: April 4, 2019, 08:02:24 pm »

It's nothing to worry about and certainly not something to pick apart and use as a negative towards Mo.

Sergio Ramos is a c*nt though,that we can all agree on,can't we ?

Nobody is using it as a negative towards him though. He made a bad decision. It happens. There's no harm in pointing out there was a better option.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #8661 on: April 4, 2019, 08:04:10 pm »
Hehe, i like those stills and explanation of Salah missing an opportunity to pass through to Mane. Actually, there's many such cases in many games this season with Firmino and Salah mostly losing those opportunities.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8662 on: April 4, 2019, 08:04:59 pm »
Cheers POP. In that first still, which side of Alderwireld are you saying he should have passed it. To his right and I think he would have cut it out.

By the ‘But instead’ still I think he should have just put his head down and gone himself but gone on his right foot. He’d have won that foot race and got a shot off (on his weaker foot admittedly).

Think a fully confident Mo could have played the pass early or gone himself but with a much better shot on goal.

But we won, so all good.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8664 on: April 4, 2019, 08:23:44 pm »
That's not something you want to advertise, Istvan mate ;D
Lol my bad, I just thought the opinion of players who've been in that situation thousands of times and are watching the action unfold at a better angle, might be more valid than someone showing stills on a website that doesn't contextualise the move from start to finish.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8665 on: April 4, 2019, 08:25:11 pm »
Lol my bad, I just thought opinion of players who've been in that situation thousands of times and are watching the action unfold at a better angle, might be more valid than someone showing stills on a website that doesn't contextualise the move from start to finish.

Interesting. Because the person who put the stills on the website is a full time coach who has been working on 2v1 situations for nigh on 20 years, so might know a thing or two about what the options are. But there ya go. ;D

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8666 on: April 4, 2019, 08:37:44 pm »
Wind your necks in.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8667 on: April 4, 2019, 11:36:45 pm »
Nobody is using it as a negative towards him though. He made a bad decision. It happens. There's no harm in pointing out there was a better option.

I agree it was the wrong move. The thing is, he is making those because he feels he should score.. which, while basically correct, is hampering his judgment atm. This was not the first time in the past weeks that the pass was on and he opted to shoot from a bad position. Or this is the view from the living room at least.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8669 on: April 5, 2019, 01:11:06 am »
Or this is the view from the living room at least.

Don't pull at that thread we've have to shut all the online forums and Robbie Savage would be at the job centre ....

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8670 on: April 5, 2019, 06:49:52 am »
Don't pull at that thread we've have to shut all the online forums and Robbie Savage would be at the job centre ....

XD Well I’m sure there’s a few match goers here as well..

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8671 on: April 5, 2019, 06:44:02 pm »
Let's hope he turns the beast mode on today! Grab a hat-trick lad, you're due one.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #8672 on: April 5, 2019, 07:44:19 pm »
My log tells me that Mohamed Salah is going to score today, and by that I mean the goal is awarded in his name.

Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8673 on: April 5, 2019, 07:54:02 pm »
My log tells me that Mohamed Salah is going to score today, and by that I mean the goal is awarded in his name.

Logs never lie.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8674 on: April 5, 2019, 09:55:57 pm »
Oh look, Mo's back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8675 on: April 5, 2019, 09:56:12 pm »
Said he would score tonight

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8676 on: April 5, 2019, 09:57:56 pm »
Pass pass pass...he's not gonna pass...he's shooting...

*collapses*

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8677 on: April 5, 2019, 09:58:13 pm »
What an intellegent finish

Brilliant brilliant goal and he needed that. Loved the celebration

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8678 on: April 5, 2019, 09:58:29 pm »
Fantastic goal from him, considering his lack of form.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8679 on: April 5, 2019, 09:59:17 pm »
Quickest Liverpool player to 50 Premier League goals (69 games).