Author Topic: Premier League suspended until safe to resume  (Read 160817 times)

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Premier League suspended until 3rd April
« Reply #1200 on: March 19, 2020, 07:41:13 pm »
Do people realise that there are anti-retrovirals that have already successfully alleviated symptoms in China and the FDA have approved a couple of them?

The virus is going to be cornered pretty soon- if not already.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1201 on: March 19, 2020, 07:42:21 pm »
Do people realise that there are anti-retrovirals that have already successfully alleviated symptoms in China and the FDA have approved a couple of them?

That's positive. Do you have any links to sources of that information?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: March 19, 2020, 07:46:03 pm »
This is untrue, he didn't say that. He said we can turn the tide, which hopefully means we'll have peaked and should be seeing new case numbers starting to decrease.

OK thanks for correcting me.

There will be plenty of things to work out if it goes beyond July this year. For example what will happen to the CL? Contracts will have to be sorted out on a temporary basis and what will happen to the transfer window? There are lots of issues but it seems UEFA and FIFA are working together for once so I think these issues will be accommodated.

Offline Insole Petrol

• Main Stander
  • What we do in this life echoes in eternity
« Reply #1203 on: March 19, 2020, 07:47:18 pm »
It will be interesting to see how the kit situation unfolds
‘And you can sit there and play with your silly machines as much as you like...’

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: March 19, 2020, 07:48:46 pm »
You talking to me?

I am hopeful. But I'm not stupid (unlike Michael Owen) and I'm also a realist.
Realists is always what optimists call themselves. It's also what pessimists call themselves. Which one do you identify with?

As you can see from the text under my avatar, I'm an older guy, 53. My partner is older than me and she is chronically asthmatic. She is currently driving her older sister to Leeds every day for cancer treatment. My mum is 80 and hers is 92. Worrying is what you do at our age!
I'm in my early 50's too. Worrying is NOT what you necessarily do at our age. For sure, think about situations and take precautions. But I hope you're also able to look beyond that. Practice gratitude. Think about the lives of those you consider inspirational. Trust. Believe. Hope.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #1205 on: March 19, 2020, 07:49:25 pm »
Yeah, maybe you're right. But if I see or hear one more Liverpool "legend" spout about it . ....

Well there being asked about it
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline MiddleMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: March 19, 2020, 07:56:27 pm »
That's positive. Do you have any links to sources of that information?

I find that when people make claims from their high horse on the internet, you likely won't be getting sources to back up said claims.

It is likely exaggerated or completely misunderstands the situation we have at hand.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: March 19, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »
This is untrue, he didn't say that. He said we can turn the tide, which hopefully means we'll have peaked and should be seeing new case numbers starting to decrease.

Actually they hope that the number of new cases per day peaks in 2/3 weeks once these distancing measures feed through to the figures. That depends on people following the guidance. If selfish c*nts still go to the pub, meet for coffee, have parties, then it will take longer and the measures will have to be enforced. I’ve seen plenty still acting like it’s a bit of a fun. Attitudes will change when the number of deaths rockets in the next 2 weeks especially if it includes a few young people.

After that there is a still long way to go but the 12 weeks objective is the point where they hope to be able to start to return to normality. So in Hong Kong for instance they are now returning to work in shifts (so that any resurgence can be checked). Full normality is many more months away after that.

Football won’t restart until the new cases per day are falling significantly and there is at least some confidence that the players won’t catch it as that will necessitate another suspension. I’d say late May/early June.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:00:29 pm by Schmarn »

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #1208 on: March 19, 2020, 08:03:55 pm »
We are fortunate to have an infectious diseases expert on the Forum.

Two hospital consultants who I have spoken to over the past 24 hours told me the seriousness of the outbreak was being underreported, there was no immediate prospect of the situation improving, and that little was known about the disease, which  appeared to be mutating .

I shall refer them through to you for reassurance.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: March 19, 2020, 08:12:11 pm »
Actually they hope that the number of new cases per day peaks in 2/3 weeks once these distancing measures feed through to the figures. That depends on people following the guidance. If selfish c*nts still go to the pub, meet for coffee, have parties, then it will take longer and the measures will have to be enforced. I’ve seen plenty still acting like it’s a bit of a fun. Attitudes will change when the number of deaths rockets in the next 2 weeks especially if it includes a few young people.

After that there is a still long way to go but the 12 weeks objective is the point where they hope to be able to start to return to normality. So in Hong Kong for instance they are now returning to work in shifts (so that any resurgence can be checked). Full normality is many more months away after that.

Football won’t restart until the new cases per day are falling significantly and there is at least some confidence that the players won’t catch it as that will necessitate another suspension. I’d say late May/early June.

I just mentioned in the General sport thread that the gov't are planning to ram through draconian laws that would make us a police state akin to China. I suspect they're doing this in case things sky rocket and they have to be more aggressive. I hope so anyway. I also hope any new draconian laws are sunseted and temporary not permanent because locking people up for having a cough is a joke.  These laws can be abused.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1210 on: March 19, 2020, 08:12:25 pm »
I find that when people make claims from their high horse on the internet, you likely won't be getting sources to back up said claims.

It is likely exaggerated or completely misunderstands the situation we have at hand.

Probably.  :-\

I think I was clutching at straws, wasn't I?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: March 19, 2020, 08:17:07 pm »
He's talking about the anti-malaria drug.  Trump rushed through approval by their agency the Food and Drug Administration

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1240667742170202112

it is supposedly showing promise .

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1212 on: March 19, 2020, 08:19:33 pm »
He's talking about the anti-malaria drug.  Trump rushed through approval by their agency the Food and Drug Administration

Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: March 19, 2020, 08:23:29 pm »
Anything the orange buffoon passes through quickly should be checked, rechecked and checked again.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1214 on: March 19, 2020, 08:24:30 pm »
It will be interesting to see how the kit situation unfolds

Neatly, one would hope.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #1215 on: March 19, 2020, 08:29:15 pm »
The 12 week Govt objective to contain the situation takes us to mid June.

A four week period to confirm things had calmed down is likely. Mid July.

Four week "pre season" to return the players to match fitness. Mid August.

Two games a week takes you to the end of September for this season.

Minimum two week hiatus between seasons means a new season start Mid October

Best scenario.

Online cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:06 pm »

As you can see from the text under my avatar, I'm an older guy, 53. ....

Older than me grandad !! 

ha ha 53 is young

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop

Offline David in Edinburgh

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #1218 on: March 19, 2020, 09:08:34 pm »

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1219 on: March 19, 2020, 09:21:03 pm »
On another note, everyone alright after the match last week? I went and looking back on it now, its mad the government aloud 3000 of madrid fans over here, where they just trying to spread it  faster in the north? 🤨
Heard one of the hotels they all stayed in has had to close with 8 staff catching the virus.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:23:26 pm by 12Kings »

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: March 19, 2020, 09:22:49 pm »

Best scenario.

Great post. Thanks for working it out. Some of us can't be bothered :)

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: March 19, 2020, 09:40:35 pm »
Great post. Thanks for working it out. Some of us can't be bothered :)

Mid October in a normal season there would be about 8 games played.  So they must be looking at contingencies as to how next season will look given that the Euros have been put back to 2021 and it will have to finish early May.  They may have no option but to bin both domestic cups or at the very least the League Cup.   Even if the cups continue I think we have seen the last of replays and two legged semis.   
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: March 19, 2020, 09:50:17 pm »
Torygraph

-In worst case scenario, season would be curtailed with Liverpool declared champions rather season being null and void

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1223 on: March 19, 2020, 10:03:58 pm »
Mid October in a normal season there would be about 8 games played.  So they must be looking at contingencies as to how next season will look given that the Euros have been put back to 2021 and it will have to finish early May.  They may have no option but to bin both domestic cups or at the very least the League Cup.   Even if the cups continue I think we have seen the last of replays and two legged semis.

Could cancel the EFL Cup for a season, that'd free up 6 midweeks for extra premier league matches
#Sausages

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1224 on: March 19, 2020, 10:07:49 pm »

I've got a sneaky feeling that he belongs to the FDA.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1225 on: March 19, 2020, 10:51:58 pm »
Probably.  :-\

I think I was clutching at straws, wasn't I?
Perhaps the guy has not seen your request yet.

Here's one link to a story about drug that's possibly useful in the early stages:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

It may or may not lead to good things. There'll be more drugs and approaches coming. People are not sitting on their backsides doing nothing. Folk are working round the clock to find a way to beat this thing.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Dan6times

• "Oh, he's not seeing me, I'll get him later... DAN!"
  • Kopite
  • Imagine not supporting Liverpool
« Reply #1226 on: March 19, 2020, 10:52:33 pm »
Ireland predicts to be at 10k confirmed cases by Sunday and 15k by the end of the month, With the exception of small shops and supermarkets everything else is. Pretty much shut and has been for a week. Schools and public facilities last Thursday, pubs and restaurants by Sunday, hotels and highstreet shops two days ago. The UK is still all systems go... Doesn't make sense, I wish everyone the best there but if they don't close the pubs and restaurants soon than it will get seriously dangerous there. I know the UK has a better health care system than us and can deal with the peak much better than ours could but I worry about it. I hope it doesn't get as bad as Italy
“For those of you in the cheap seats I'd like ya to clap your hands to this one; the rest of you can just rattle your jewelry!”

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: March 19, 2020, 11:32:40 pm »
That part is true - how is the UK keeping everything open

Offline hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #1228 on: March 19, 2020, 11:43:34 pm »
We are fortunate to have an infectious diseases expert on the Forum.

Two hospital consultants who I have spoken to over the past 24 hours told me the seriousness of the outbreak was being underreported, there was no immediate prospect of the situation improving, and that little was known about the disease, which  appeared to be mutating .

I shall refer them through to you for reassurance.
I thought viruses always mutated?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: March 19, 2020, 11:47:03 pm »
The best slightly peeved response I’m getting is “I’ll believe it when I see it” and “I don’t really care my teams season is already over”

Oh you care. You really really care.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: March 19, 2020, 11:59:53 pm »

there’s at least two at phase 3, so there’s phase 4 to go before approval. None have been approved. One treatment is an approved flu treatment from Japan. That may fast track its approval?

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/2500114-treatment
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: March 20, 2020, 12:01:53 am »
I thought viruses always mutated?

I read that they don’t usually become more virulent, in fact less so, as a less aggressive strain would keep more people on their feet to spread it around. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #1232 on: March 20, 2020, 12:04:56 am »
I anticipate both domestic cups being suspended and the EL and CL played on a knockout basis.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: March 20, 2020, 12:12:32 am »
Perhaps the guy has not seen your request yet.

Here's one link to a story about drug that's possibly useful in the early stages:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

It may or may not lead to good things. There'll be more drugs and approaches coming. People are not sitting on their backsides doing nothing. Folk are working round the clock to find a way to beat this thing.
Thanks for that.  :thumbup

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #1234 on: March 20, 2020, 12:39:28 am »
Oddly they seemed to have played on during the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918/19
walk on...walk on...

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: March 20, 2020, 12:41:33 am »
I read that they don’t usually become more virulent, in fact less so, as a less aggressive strain would keep more people on their feet to spread it around.

Yup. Some aggressive mutations die out quickly because they struggle to pass to hosts in time. If c19 mutateD into something that killed 50% of infected, it would be locked down more quickly and die out. Right now, it’s spreading because people are being blasé about it.

Even if c19 mutates it doesn’t necessarily mean the vaccine won’t work - it’ll still be genetically similar. I think the word mutation scares people when usually it’s not a serious issue.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: March 20, 2020, 12:43:37 am »

And it killed up to 100m people.

I don’t think our models should be based on the response to Spanish flu.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Premier League suspended until 30th April
« Reply #1237 on: March 20, 2020, 12:56:59 am »
Yeah, but the clue to why that was is in the date at the end of your sentence.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1238 on: March 20, 2020, 07:42:29 am »

Best scenario.

I think that's about right. Just got to hope the Premier League clubs are still committed to completing the season once it gets into July  or August because football won't be resuming before then, or at least well into June.

The government have already turned from herd immunity and are reactive to this crisis and not forcing measures.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:46:18 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: March 20, 2020, 08:02:44 am »
I think that's about right. Just got to hope the Premier League clubs are still committed to completing the season once it gets into July  or August because football won't be resuming before then, or at least well into June.

The government have already turned from herd immunity and are reactive to this crisis and not forcing measures.

Fromola. For your sake, as well as the rest of ours, can I suggest taking a break from the internet?

The latest news on this can only be seen as positive for Liverpool fans. The premier league and its clubs are fully committed to completing the season, if it doesn't occur before June they have confirmed they will extend the season indefinitely. There are quotes that show just how clearly the clubs believe they have to finish this season before they can start the next one. They are determined to finish this season, based on all the evidence we have yet you continue to theorise over a (in football terms) doomsday scenario that doesn't exist.

Take the good news in this challenging time and enjoy the positivity it provides for a little bit. Please. For everyone's sake.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp