Author Topic: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab  (Read 1926758 times)

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Newcastle - RIP Jamal Khashoggi; Free Salma al-Shehab
« Reply #21120 on: June 5, 2023, 07:04:00 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65813662

Their owners have just taken over the top three teams in Saudi Arabia, meaning their owners own Ronaldo, Benzema and looks like they’ll own Messi soon too.

"Sheffield United owner Abdullah bin Musaid Al Saud had owned Al-Hilal." Wonder how he was compensated for the purchase, not being killed maybe?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #21121 on: June 5, 2023, 07:06:43 pm »
So Benzema and Messi instantly loaned to Newcastle, for free, and Newcastle only paying 50k of their wages?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #21122 on: June 5, 2023, 07:14:47 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65813662

Their owners have just taken over the top three teams in Saudi Arabia, meaning their owners own Ronaldo, Benzema and looks like they’ll own Messi soon too.
What a competitive league that sounds, the same owners owning the big 3 clubs. :butt
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21123 on: June 5, 2023, 08:04:19 pm »
"Sheffield United owner Abdullah bin Musaid Al Saud had owned Al-Hilal." Wonder how he was compensated for the purchase, not being killed maybe?

He didn't own Al-Hilal. The Saudi clubs always been under the Saudi Federation umbrella so nobody can buy or own clubs. The way it works the club honorary members who are just rich fans will vote for a chairman to run the club, him and the members will spend money to help the club without any rewards or shares or returns.

Now what is different, the biggest 4 clubs will be become separate companies owned by PIF and the rest of the clubs will be owned by other companies for example one of the small clubs will be owned by Aramco.

They say the goal is to become one the best leagues in the world. Players agent will have fun.

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21124 on: June 5, 2023, 08:18:12 pm »
He didn't own Al-Hilal. The Saudi clubs always been under the Saudi Federation umbrella so nobody can buy or own clubs. The way it works the club honorary members who are just rich fans will vote for a chairman to run the club, him and the members will spend money to help the club without any rewards or shares or returns.

Thanks for this info. I'd wondered before about how club ownership worked in Saudi, but hadn't been able to find any answers through google. I think I picked a bad time to look - basically anything with "Saudi" and "ownership" just gave results about Newcastle, and trying to be specific about the league/clubs just gave results about Ronaldo.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21125 on: June 5, 2023, 08:34:30 pm »
Thanks for this info. I'd wondered before about how club ownership worked in Saudi, but hadn't been able to find any answers through google. I think I picked a bad time to look - basically anything with "Saudi" and "ownership" just gave results about Newcastle, and trying to be specific about the league/clubs just gave results about Ronaldo.

No worries. Because nobody cared before I guess. Shows how much exposure one can get from owning a premier league team otherwise the BBC wouldn't have published this news and no one will know what Abu Dhabi is for example.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21126 on: June 5, 2023, 08:35:33 pm »
Hope they get a group of death like this.

Bayern.
Real.
Marseille.
Saudi FC.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #21127 on: June 5, 2023, 08:41:33 pm »
Hope they get a group of death like this.

Bayern.
Real.
Marseille.
Saudi FC.

Group of death with Saudi FC in.
How ironic.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #21128 on: June 5, 2023, 08:47:37 pm »
I’d rather they got all the least glamorous teams and still finished bottom of the group.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21130 on: June 9, 2023, 02:28:04 pm »
Jurgen YNWA

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21131 on: June 9, 2023, 02:33:55 pm »
In about 2 seasons they'll increase it like the Cheats did, hopefully this new PL motion to outright ban ownership linked commercial deals happens.

PIF still haven't used their crown jewels of Aramco,Saudia Airlines, Visit Saudi and Neom City yet which i'm guessing will be overinflated Stadium and training ground and associated kit deals down the line to really bump their fake turnover up.

« Last Edit: June 9, 2023, 02:35:28 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21133 on: June 9, 2023, 02:40:06 pm »
Did Abu Dhabi not start off in a similar fashion at City too?  And then after a few seasons just thought 'f*ck it'....and went for it?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21134 on: June 9, 2023, 03:42:59 pm »
Nobody saw this coming.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/23579175.newcastle-united-confirm-sponsorship-deal-saudi-company-sela/
Makes sense, they need more brainless Geordies wearing tea towels on their heads attending events in Saudi

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21135 on: June 9, 2023, 03:44:40 pm »
Jumping from £6.5m a season to £25m a season - seems legit  ;D

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21136 on: June 9, 2023, 05:02:32 pm »
Did Abu Dhabi not start off in a similar fashion at City too?  And then after a few seasons just thought 'f*ck it'....and went for it?
With Etihad told everyone it was £40 million a year for 10 years. Bumped it to £67 million 2 years later, by year 8 they got £140 million.

Someone showed a graph on Twitter a couple of years ago, of us, United, Chelsea, spurs  and Arsenal got a bump commercially ,the cheats bumped their commercial revenues the following season keeping roughly a £60 million pound gap to the team with the 3rd highest in the PL. ;D

You can bet they had someone in their so called commercial dept combing the other club's turnovers and checking the commercial revenues of clubs and then  telling a higher up to email  Mubadala HQ to bump the deals up because other teams are showing commercial growth.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21137 on: June 9, 2023, 05:27:14 pm »
Jumping from £6.5m a season to £25m a season - seems legit  ;D

For a club playing in the CL next season, its probably a fair amount, they're being clever. Still self sponsorship though
Jurgen YNWA

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #21138 on: June 9, 2023, 05:30:25 pm »
Clubs should have to show evidence that the deal is at a market rate when they use a company linked to the owner by having several offers on the table and not being excessively above the second highest offer. Whether it’s PIF or a SportsDirect deal, owners pumping money into clubs through other sources is simply not in keeping with the point of the FFP rules. £25m for Newcastle vs, £40m for Tottenham doesn’t seem excessive, but there was a reason they were getting £8m previous, and when you look at Everton getting £10m, £25m does seem over the top.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21139 on: June 9, 2023, 05:35:14 pm »
Clubs should have to show evidence that the deal is at a market rate when they use a company linked to the owner by having several offers on the table and not being excessively above the second highest offer. Whether it’s PIF or a SportsDirect deal, owners pumping money into clubs through other sources is simply not in keeping with the point of the FFP rules. £25m for Newcastle vs, £40m for Tottenham doesn’t seem excessive, but there was a reason they were getting £8m previous, and when you look at Everton getting £10m, £25m does seem over the top.

Everton have finished 4th bottom 2 years on the trot, play to 38,000 people. Saudicastle play to 52,000 every week, finsihed 11th and then 4th, now playing in the CL, so they could easily argue that £25m is fair when shite like Everton can get £10m.
Jurgen YNWA

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21140 on: June 9, 2023, 05:43:29 pm »
Everton have finished 4th bottom 2 years on the trot, play to 38,000 people. Saudicastle play to 52,000 every week, finsihed 11th and then 4th, now playing in the CL, so they could easily argue that £25m is fair when shite like Everton can get £10m.
Saudi FC were shite and last summer got a new sleeve sponsorship bump from 500k a year to £9 million a year with a PIF company.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21141 on: June 9, 2023, 06:01:38 pm »

Everton have a bigger worldwide fanbase than Newcastle. Commercial deals are only partly about on the pitch performance and more about reach. Newcastle, when operating off their own income have been relegated, if that’s to continue, they easily could be again as this season is more likely to be a flash in the pan then a consistent level. The reason we know that won’t happen, is because we know they won’t be operating off their own income but off inflated sponsorship deals. No, other operator would have offered them £25m.

West Ham for instance have been in Europe for two consecutive seasons, but won’t get a massive boost in long term income and they won’t spend more because of their runs in Europe as it’s not sustainable, guaranteed income. That’s a good and normal way to operate, it’s how Newcastle would spend if they were comparable, which they would have been prior to their takeover. It’s important to compare them with similar sides like Everton and West Ham, to see just how different their operating is under the Saudi government. The differences are not due to them being well run, and should never been confused for this, the differences are down to the wealth of their owners.

Up until now, Newcastle have been given a bit of leeway because of the spending gap left by Mike Ashley that allowed them to spend £200m whilst staying within FFP. They should now return to a mid table team level of spending, with only slight increases from the Champions League entry, as it’s not likely to be repeated and is actually not that big of a bonus when compared to their jump in spending on wages over the last year, either.

If they do carry on spending, then they should end up in the same situation as Everton where their spending is capped. The Premier League need to make sure this happens, or it signals that anything goes.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21142 on: June 9, 2023, 07:04:45 pm »
For context, Leicester got a new sponsor last year which was their record deal. £12 million a year for a club that was has won the league and the FA cup recently.

Zero chance Champions League qualification enables a £20 million a year price hike if it was legitimate.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21143 on: June 9, 2023, 07:09:13 pm »
For context, Leicester got a new sponsor last year which was their record deal. £12 million a year for a club that was has won the league and the FA cup recently.

Zero chance Champions League qualification enables a £20 million a year price hike if it was legitimate.

We should see a statement from the Premier League soon if the clubs have any backbone.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21144 on: June 9, 2023, 07:12:03 pm »
Everton have a bigger worldwide fanbase than Newcastle. Commercial deals are only partly about on the pitch performance and more about reach. Newcastle, when operating off their own income have been relegated, if that’s to continue, they easily could be again as this season is more likely to be a flash in the pan then a consistent level. The reason we know that won’t happen, is because we know they won’t be operating off their own income but off inflated sponsorship deals. No, other operator would have offered them £25m.

West Ham for instance have been in Europe for two consecutive seasons, but won’t get a massive boost in long term income and they won’t spend more because of their runs in Europe as it’s not sustainable, guaranteed income. That’s a good and normal way to operate, it’s how Newcastle would spend if they were comparable, which they would have been prior to their takeover. It’s important to compare them with similar sides like Everton and West Ham, to see just how different their operating is under the Saudi government. The differences are not due to them being well run, and should never been confused for this, the differences are down to the wealth of their owners.

Up until now, Newcastle have been given a bit of leeway because of the spending gap left by Mike Ashley that allowed them to spend £200m whilst staying within FFP. They should now return to a mid table team level of spending, with only slight increases from the Champions League entry, as it’s not likely to be repeated and is actually not that big of a bonus when compared to their jump in spending on wages over the last year, either.

If they do carry on spending, then they should end up in the same situation as Everton where their spending is capped. The Premier League need to make sure this happens, or it signals that anything goes.

I know its bent, its nothing but money being funnelled into the club from the PIF, but they could argue its not overinflated due to the exposure they will get in both the PL and Europe. They could easily argue that Leicesters commercial dept were shit in getting them a poor deal or that Leicester have half the support. You got to remember they now have 36 million supporters in Saudi Arabia..................

We all know its bollocks, but they are being clever and not pulling world record doubling deals out of the air like Abu Dhabi did with the £400 million Etihad deal.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21145 on: June 9, 2023, 07:16:46 pm »
We should see a statement from the Premier League soon if the clubs have any backbone.

After PIF said, in a US court case, they were a "sovereign instrumentality of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" and PIF Governor and Newcastle chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan was "a sitting minister of the government" with "sovereign immunity", Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters, when in front of a Select Committee, said they couldn't comment on it. The Premier League has previously said they have "legally binding assurances" the Saudi Arabian government don't control Newcastle United.

That was in March and nothing much has happened since then. I doubt the Premier League will do much about this either.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21146 on: June 9, 2023, 07:20:00 pm »
I know its bent, its nothing but money being funnelled into the club from the PIF, but they could argue its not overinflated due to the exposure they will get in both the PL and Europe. They could easily argue that Leicesters commercial dept were shit in getting them a poor deal or that Leicester have half the support. You got to remember they now have 36 million supporters in Saudi Arabia..................

We all know its bollocks, but they are being clever and not pulling world record doubling deals out of the air like Abu Dhabi did with the £400 million Etihad deal.

Thing is, Leicester’s sponsor is also their owner’s company, their owner is just limited in the funds they can put in, so isn’t going far above market rate, if at all.

How smart they are being will be shown in their transfer spending over the next couple of years, and how their balance sheets reflect that. I don’t see a path where they can keep up their spending without being challenged by the premier league, in the next year or so.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21147 on: June 9, 2023, 07:27:33 pm »
After PIF said, in a US court case, they were a "sovereign instrumentality of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia" and PIF Governor and Newcastle chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan was "a sitting minister of the government" with "sovereign immunity", Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters, when in front of a Select Committee, said they couldn't comment on it. The Premier League has previously said they have "legally binding assurances" the Saudi Arabian government don't control Newcastle United.

That was in March and nothing much has happened since then. I doubt the Premier League will do much about this either.
Ahh, but just like the Manchester Sheikh, he does his Newcastle stuff in his spare time, not when he’s doing his sovereign duties, so it’s all separate and above board.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21148 on: June 9, 2023, 08:07:19 pm »

Over 5x increase for a club with mostly a local following is steep. And they'll no doubt revise it by £15M+ in the next year or two.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21149 on: June 9, 2023, 08:49:27 pm »
It would be interesting to see the other bids in this apparently ‘highly competitive bidding process’

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21150 on: June 9, 2023, 08:54:38 pm »
It would be interesting to see the other bids in this apparently ‘highly competitive bidding process’

"If you don't bid then we'll chop up your children & then your childrens childrens childrens childrens children, now put a fucking figure on the paper"
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21151 on: June 9, 2023, 09:09:28 pm »
It’s such a fucking disgrace. What’s the point?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21152 on: June 9, 2023, 10:55:13 pm »
Just like city this then. Same entity that owns Newcastle is ‘sponsoring’ Newcastle.  Didn’t take long did it.  Why not be blatant about it when city have done same for years without being sanctioned

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21153 on: June 10, 2023, 12:21:37 am »
For a club playing in the CL next season, its probably a fair amount, they're being clever. Still self sponsorship though

Does that mean we take a 75% cut to our deal with Standard Chartered for next season?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21154 on: June 10, 2023, 07:34:15 am »
Just like city this then. Same entity that owns Newcastle is ‘sponsoring’ Newcastle.  Didn’t take long did it.  Why not be blatant about it when city have done same for years without being sanctioned

What happened to that vote where all clubs voted against related sponsorships except these two? guess they will just brazenly deny its related anyway with straight faces. Other clubs have enough on their plate looking after them selves, the premier league have taken years to look into city and our beloved government don't want to upset rich middle eastern investors. Saudis don't give two fucks anyway and don't think they have to answer to anyone. So they can and will crack on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 07:45:26 am by red1977 »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21155 on: June 10, 2023, 10:56:56 am »
Does that mean we take a 75% cut to our deal with Standard Chartered for next season?

Happened to the Mancs 😉. If we were out of it for years, the sponsors might well try that. Didn't Adidas try that shit with us?

However the likes of Leicester and these, it would be a realistic scenario, changing every year as they are small clubs.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #21156 on: June 10, 2023, 11:01:37 am »
i think the opposite.. we are now introducing the sponsors to a whole new forum of viewers.Champs leauge 6-7-8 seasons on the bounce, every fan of CL has ssen our shirts, knows our sponsors..Next year we are opening new doors.. id like to see a marked increase in shirt value
JFT 96

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21157 on: June 10, 2023, 12:33:48 pm »
As much as I hate the Saudis, Newcastle are a top 6 club now, and they are here to stay. Tottenham or Chelsea will be the biggest losers of this new reality ...

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21158 on: June 10, 2023, 01:40:29 pm »
As much as I hate the Saudis, Newcastle are a top 6 club now, and they are here to stay. Tottenham or Chelsea will be the biggest losers of this new reality ...

Weirdly, that reads like begrudging respect, even though I know you didn’t intend it to be!

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21159 on: June 10, 2023, 02:08:25 pm »

No guarantees that they finish top 6 next season, but they will definitely do so more consistently in the future.

Tottenham’s future will depend on how they rebuild post-Kane, who they absolutely have to sell.

Chelsea’s future is very much in the balance thanks to their massive investment, long contracts and FFP issues.