Author Topic: Emile Heskey  (Read 84278 times)

Offline joepunter

• 100% Behind Le Boss
  • Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re:Emile Heskey's run of form...
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2003, 12:31:42 am »
gnurglan - who do you think would buy him?

i don't see a buyer.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2003, 12:31:50 am »
Nor would I Gnurg and even more so after GH said that it's time for Emile to repay the faith he has in him, which he hasn't really.

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2003, 12:34:42 am »
It doesn't matter if the teams where shite joe, he still scored.

Everybody has orgasms over Van Nistelrooy but he's hardly scored many in the big games has he?

What about Heskey's goals against Roma and Blackburn last season? Extremely important goals and the winners against Bolton and Southampton this season not to mention the equaliser against Arsenal.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2003, 12:39:30 am »
There will be buyers. Don't know how much we'd get for him, but surely someone would be interested. They would probably realise that Emile shouldn't play at LM, but rather up front, maybe even on his own rather than as a supplier.

Agree that he still scored the goals in the Treble season. Someone's got to deliver against the poorer sides too (which seems quite hard this season).

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline joepunter

• 100% Behind Le Boss
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2003, 12:41:00 am »
it's true that van nistelrooy doesn't score enough in the big games (one in four against us, one in five against the arsenal, couldn't score when they needed it in the CL last year) - and that is the biggest problem in his game.

however the heskey van nistelrooy comparison becomes problematic when you consider that van nistelrooy, despite not scoring too often in the big games, has scored more than four times as many league goals as heskey since august 2001. not to mention 11 goals in eight champions league games this season.

when heskey starts scoring at that rate i'll go easy on him for not scoring in the big games.

his goals against roma and blackburn may have been important, but may not have been so crucial had it not been for his unbelievable misses at other points (e.g. i remember him slicing wide of an open goal in the first roma match in that CL group).

and in trying to point out that he has scored important goals this season, you have merely underlined that in our current form, every goal is crucial to us. you have just listed three of his four goals for the season.

of course it is likely that none of them will turn out to matter, as we will not qualify for europe with them, and wouldn't have got relegated without them...

Offline Hugh

• Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2003, 12:45:37 am »
of course it is likely that none of them will turn out to matter, as we will not qualify for europe with them, and wouldn't have got relegated without them...

Way to be optimistic.  ::)

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2003, 01:02:51 am »
Diouf...

I have mixed feelings.  When he plays I curse the damn sod, and when he doesn't I long for him. Today for instance.  He IS creative but often does to much and gives the ball away and does nothing.  We needed something today.  Whether it was Diouf's ability and skill, or Gerrard or even Duff (If only!!) - I don't know.  But we didn't have something.  Something that Houllier needs to address.
Blame Canada!

Offline Adam

• Ballboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird Upon My Chest
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2003, 01:04:37 am »
emile heskey is garbage
She Loves You Yeh Yeh Yeh

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2003, 01:14:23 am »
Woodbury, I reckon Diouf is important to us, whether good or bad game. He offers something unique. Our opponents don't know what to expect from him and that's good. We've got so many players who can do a solid job and we need someone like Diouf who can come up with anything. That's something we should use to our advantage. We shouldn't try to get rid of it.

Diouf, on form, looks to play because he loves the game, he loves to take defenders on etc. We need that joy, that bit of arrogance that he provides. To me, it doesn't matter as much if he's inconsistent as long as he provides that. Too many players seem "afraid" and that has to change.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2003, 02:20:03 am »
Yes we are missing Diouf and Gerrard (I think some of you knows I rated Diouf highly -- KOTP I am glad you finally realized), but I tend not to critize Emile too much because apart from the Cheyrou through ball when he should have shot without the extra touch (which he messed up anyway).

To me our biggest problem is not who is playing or who is not playing, but our attacking system as a whole and that is down to training.  Our players don't know where all the others are and their movements -- it is very difficult for strikers to find their positions because they simply don't know how and when the midfielders made the passes.  

We won it 6 times

Offline Rage

• I GOT BANNED FOR BEING AN ABUSIVE CUNT
  • Boys Pen
  • You can stick yer Fvcking England up yer Arse
    • www.footballforums.net
Emile Heskey
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2003, 06:00:38 pm »
Looking at Emile Heskey this season he has scored how many goals? It must be about 6 or 7 is it? Anyway Liverpool are a team that will want to be challenging for the title next season, but I Just can’t see you doing it with a player like Emile Heskey in your starting eleven.

Martin O’Neill Gerard Houllier & Sven Goran Eriksson have all played him regularly in their sides though and that is one thing I just don’t understand, Ok he has power and pace and scares A LOT of defenders but surely you want more from your front man? And surely you want to play a striker who can score you goals on a regular bases?

This is not a wind up, I’m just simply asking as a supporter of a top 6 side do you think your team deserves better?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 06:23:06 pm by Rage »
[size=8]I'm a manc twat[/size]

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
Re:Emile Heskey (Seriously)
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2003, 06:10:31 pm »
He hasn't played consistently well for us this season.  He has had tremendous games but I don't think he has really had enough of them.  What he does allow us to do is hold play up better and I think that might be the reason that our midfield has scored so many goals this season as they often sit quite deep and that couple of seconds to reach the danger areas.  He also has a tremendous work rate and defends set pieces as well as anyone in the team, bar maybe Sami.

I prefer the Owen/Heskey partnership to Owen/Baros from what I have seen, but am not against strengthening the first team in the summer of that is what Ged feels is right.

Rage, we could say the same about some of the rejects you have playing in your team, but you have still managed a modicum of success with them playing.

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2003, 06:11:46 pm »
Thanks for your concern!

He's scored 8 goals this season which isnt a great return, and he certainly isnt the most prolific of strikers, but he does a damn good job for the team. Theres a lot more to his game than scoring.

In the 2000-2001 season he managed i think, 21 goals and he was awesome but the last two seasons, and especially this he has been an almost different player and hasnt looked anywhere near as threatening - why? Who knows?

I personally think we need two strikers who will score at least 20 goals a season each, we have one in michael owen, baros if played consistently im sure would come pretty close to 20, but i cant see emile doing it unfortunatley....... But he's still better than Forlan.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 06:55:26 pm by Stevo »

Offline Rage

• Boys Pen
    • www.footballforums.net
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2003, 06:53:54 pm »
Don't be stupid, Diego has scored 10 this season ;)

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2003, 06:56:03 pm »
Don't be stupid, Diego has scored 10 this season ;)

9. His first goal at Anfield doesnt count.  :D

Roddysul

« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2003, 07:05:56 pm »
The other bit about Heskey's game is his defensive skills - he's regualrly seen back in the penalty area covering or making important interceptions - something that I don't see Ruud doing very much.

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2003, 08:42:25 pm »
The other bit about Heskey's game is his defensive skills - he's regualrly seen back in the penalty area covering or making important interceptions - something that I don't see Ruud doing very much.

Heskey's not a cheat either. Pisses me off to see quality players diving: Pires, Kewell, Nistelrooy etc

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2003, 09:21:31 pm »
9. His first goal at Anfield doesnt count.  :D

Didn't he score against Chelsea in the 'Wothless cup'? that one doesn't count either

Roddysul

« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2003, 10:36:24 pm »
Should also cancel out any pens he's taken for a knee-still-sore dive and any goals scored after which he was unable to put his shirt on without help   ;D

hoonin

« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2003, 10:46:40 pm »
Excellent. So he's scored 0 then, which is what we suspected all along ;)

Offline Rage

• Boys Pen
    • www.footballforums.net
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2003, 10:52:54 pm »

Mate you have to be taking the piss?   ;D

Offline Rage

• Boys Pen
    • www.footballforums.net
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2003, 10:56:46 pm »
Should also cancel out any pens he's taken for a knee-still-sore dive and any goals scored after which he was unable to put his shirt on without help   ;D

scored goals v
Chelsea(league)
Chelsea (worthless)
Liverpool(League) (2)
v Birmingham
v Burnley
v macebia Haifa or whoever they are
v Aston Villa
v Southampton
and someone else I can't remember

only one penno out of those :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 10:58:32 pm by Rage »

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2003, 11:39:11 pm »
I have so many mixed feelings about Emile Heskey.  In the Leeds game, I noticed he was linking up well with Diouf and passing okay, but when it came time to finish which he should be able to do seeing as he's a striker, well... you all know what happened.

Don't know whether he should start or not against utd. I Can't decide.  I'll leave that decision up to Houllier.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 11:41:47 pm by Woodbury »
Blame Canada!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2003, 11:56:00 pm »
Don't know whether he should start or not against utd. I Can't decide.  I'll leave that decision up to Houllier.

No, don't! He'll play Heskey if you let him! ;)

Offline Chris M

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2003, 01:21:41 am »
I like Heskey but I do feel that we may need to progress beyond him if he is not told to change his current style of playing. A lot of his problems, though, are not his fault. Playing him on the left was a farce. To me, playing Emile their was a terrible decision which I don't believe can be seriously defended.

Also, when he is played as a striker it seems that he is given instructions to leave a lot of space for Owen to operate in. He is asked to help Owen so much that his own game has suffered greatly. He scored 22 in his first season, but 14 of those came in as many games. Is it a coincidence that this run came when Owen was injured? When given his only real chance to lead the line Heskey delivered. Since then, his game has deteriorated. If given the same chance, Heskey might now fail.

Houllier seems to want a big physical player with the craft of Jari Litmanen. That player can't be found. It's time to either give Heskey a chance to play alongside Owen, not just behind, or find a player better suited to the role.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2003, 01:23:09 am by Chris M »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2003, 01:36:11 am »
Yeah, EH gets too much undeserved stick. I've always wondered why we haven't used Heskey's strengths better. Used the right way, he can be very good. That's when he leads the line.

However, I feel it's time for Emile to contribute more. A start is to play him up front. I also want him to become more aggressive and I want him to get better service (with or without Owen beside him). He's been good in recent games, but I really can't see why he keeps Baros or Mellor out of the team. Baros delivers when played and Mellor has got to be given a decent chance sooner or later.

Offline C.B Alonso

• Old skool RAWK Photographer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Aallriight!"
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2003, 01:41:52 am »
I'd also like to see everyone passing the ball to his feet as well, because he can play some football believe or not.

Instead of hoofing it to his head...
Lets fucking create an atmosphere instead of complaining about it.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2003, 03:30:17 am »
My main concern with Heskey is his finishing.  His one-on-one is aweful.  We do not need him to carry 20 or 30 goals a season (that'll be nice, though) but seeing him missing those chances consistently hurts.

Everyone knows he is a confidence player and I have hoped that'll gradually grow on him.  But the fact is since the treble season if not as much as having regressed certainly there's been little improvement.  I fervently hope that he'll prove every critism wrong and fulfill his potential.  But then, after two years, should we continue to hope or to go for other options?

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
  • The Peoples' Republic Of Liverpool
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2003, 03:50:03 am »
EMILE HESKEY IS A TRYER. AT THIS LEVEL YOU NEED MORE THAN A TRYER. I'D PREFER MILAN BAROS IN THE STARTING ELEVEN OR NEIL MELLOR TO EMILE HESKEY AS THEY BOTH HAVE QUALITY AS WELL AS TRYING THEIR BEST.
WE ARE THE KOPITES, WE ALL WENT TO ROME...WE ALL WENT TO WEST HAM WHILE THE ROAD END STAYED AT HOME!

Offline Olly

• Sees greatness from his sofa
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2003, 10:06:21 am »

Martin O’Neill Gerard Houllier & Sven Goran Eriksson have all played him regularly in their sides though and that is one thing I just don’t understand

Shouldn't that tell you something though. If two of the most respected managers in the game (and I'll let you work out which out of the three you mentioned they are ;)) consistently pick him he can't be that bad a player.
If you keep one eye on the past, you are blind in one eye. Yet if you forget the past, you are blind in both.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2003, 11:11:06 am »
To me Heskey is symptomatic of our situation.  He tries hard, but really, he's just not good enough.
He's a striker who doesn't score goals.  He never has.  He has no other useful position (such as Diouf as our new right-winger) and he will ALWAYS under-achieve.  He's not right in his head, and nothing we can do will change that.  I've flicked from being pro-Heskey to anti-Heskey over the years, and to be honest, I'm just bored with it all now.  With players like Heskey in the team we will always be fighting for scraps.  He can be awesome (away at Southampton was his best game ever in a Liverpool shirt, imo) but more often he's just average, with a few anonymous/appallings thrown in.
I'll say it again - his problems are all in his own head, and that will never change.  We all know he's got everything you need to be a real top-notch striker, but he's never going to realise that potential.  Time to move on.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline alan j

• Main Stander
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2003, 11:43:51 am »
To me Heskey is symptomatic of our situation.  He tries hard, but really, he's just not good enough.
He's a striker who doesn't score goals.  He never has.  He has no other useful position (such as Diouf as our new right-winger) and he will ALWAYS under-achieve.  He's not right in his head, and nothing we can do will change that.  I've flicked from being pro-Heskey to anti-Heskey over the years, and to be honest, I'm just bored with it all now.  With players like Heskey in the team we will always be fighting for scraps.  He can be awesome (away at Southampton was his best game ever in a Liverpool shirt, imo) but more often he's just average, with a few anonymous/appallings thrown in.
I'll say it again - his problems are all in his own head, and that will never change.  We all know he's got everything you need to be a real top-notch striker, but he's never going to realise that potential.  Time to move on.

Fully agree with this.

He's a trier, a popular guy in the dressing room and he has moments of brilliance that show how good he could be.

However he just doesn't have the mental strength to live up to his physical potential and I believe we will continue to have this debate for as long as he is with us.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2003, 11:48:32 am »
Why do you have to be "pro" or "anti" any players? Surely you should just SUPPORT them?

Offline pascoli

• Shit Googler & Easily Amused Bar Steward...
  • Legacy Fan
  • PER ARDUA AD ASTRA
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2003, 11:54:28 am »
I hate it when people start talking about the defensive side of EH game.
We have enough good tackling midfielders / defenders without having to sacrifice one of our strikers to defend also...
Historically (and correctly IMHO) strikers are judged by the amount of goals they scored - always have been and always will be, and in this respect EH has been somwhat of a major failure.
If his defensive abilities are one of the main reasons he is picked why doesnt he consider a change of postition to centre of midfield or something...

and by the way, that cross he put into the kop against leeds, if i done that on a sunday afternoon for my local pub team i'd never hear the last of it... he's a professional footballer - surely he shouldnt be  capable of such a horrific cross!!!
INTERNET TERRORIST. AND PROUD TOO.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2003, 11:55:35 am »
Course I do - at the game.  I'm right behind him, and I want him to be a success, for his own sake and the teams.  He's obviously a nice bloke and I want the best for him.  But away from the match I can be objective and say that he's never going to be good enough.  The very fact we're having this debate highlights the fact that he's not been a total success.  I don't think Heskey will ever be good enough consistently.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2003, 01:23:45 pm »
Its a shame really, you can see the "potential" in Heskey but all too often he is poor or anonymous. If playing for 30k a week in the red of Liverpool and being a regular starter for England doesnt give you confidence what will?

Yes he is great defensively and works hard but at the end of they day if we want that and someone who scores 10 goals a season on average why dont we play an extra midfielder??
If we are happy with Uefa place, fine but if we want to progress we have to be looking at a return of 20 goal from both our front two. Season before apart I dont think Emile can provide this.
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2003, 01:52:23 pm »
Obviously Gh sees something in Emile that some of us are missing.
How true the quote-:yes Emile misses a few, but he gets in the right position to miss them  :D

Offline Shaky Jake

• Kopite
  • from corners he will score some...
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2003, 03:07:13 pm »
... and he keeps on getting in those positions and keeps missing them.

He has a purple patch about as often as Mickey-O has a bad patch.

I have a hunch that Emile is coming to the point that he has to demonstrate more than just potential to Houllier, or he could find himself marginalised. I think it's possible he would be happier at a lower profile club where his fragile confidence wouldn't be weighed down by so much expectation.

Much as I love 'im, I think he's really coming to the end of the line.

Oh yeah, whoever mentioned his defensive contribution- classic! I personally think that Jerzy's finishing ability is much under-rated.
Give it to John

Roddysul

« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2003, 05:12:06 pm »
Jerzy's put the ball in the net almost as much as Emile this year  ;)

treble2001

« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2003, 09:26:35 pm »
I reckon Heskey's a great player and the brilliant foil for Michael.