Author Topic: His Dark Materials - TV Series [Please use Spoiler tags]  (Read 17798 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: His Dark Materials - TV Series
« Reply #160 on: October 8, 2022, 02:40:23 pm »
The other thing is that it's now slap bang in the middle of the World Cup, I think the knockouts are starting that weekend so that'll cause a lot of flux with the BBC schedules.

I have just realised they are saying the show will be broadcast on iplayer rather than any BBC channel. So, they may get around it that way. I know the iplayer viewing figures for HDM were second only to Strictly. It seems to be the popular way of watching shows now, that way you don't have to tune in on the actual day.

« Last Edit: October 8, 2022, 02:42:11 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #161 on: October 8, 2022, 09:46:20 pm »
I have just realised they are saying the show will be broadcast on iplayer rather than any BBC channel. So, they may get around it that way. I know the iplayer viewing figures for HDM were second only to Strictly. It seems to be the popular way of watching shows now, that way you don't have to tune in on the actual day.

The trouble with that is spoilers and I like the event TV when everyone watches it at the same time and chats about it on social media.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: October 8, 2022, 11:06:49 pm »
The trouble with that is spoilers and I like the event TV when everyone watches it at the same time and chats about it on social media.

I absolutely agree with you. But the problem is the show is due to clash with the World Cup knock out stages, so I am not sure how they will do it otherwise. I would prefer it to be on BBC1 they could put the football on BBC2, but I doubt they will somehow. Let's see what happens.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: October 8, 2022, 11:43:59 pm »
The other thing is that it's now slap bang in the middle of the World Cup, I think the knockouts are starting that weekend so that'll cause a lot of flux with the BBC schedules.

Good to know I’ll have something to watch while avoiding that sportswashing propaganda.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2022, 02:45:05 pm »
The show has a panel on at the moment at London Comic Con and they have just announced a new trailer is imminent as well as other clips.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #165 on: November 1, 2022, 04:39:07 pm »
looking forward to this, something i've actually been waiting for since the opening season ended, glad to know it's on the horizon

shall wait and binge as usual when it's all done
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: November 1, 2022, 07:08:48 pm »
Second trailer, folks!

https://youtu.be/tHDsA34FFT4

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #167 on: November 1, 2022, 11:35:43 pm »
Love this show. Gets me into the chrimbo polar bear mood as it is always shown this time of the year.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: November 2, 2022, 01:49:04 pm »
Has anyone seen the Mulefa on the second trailer. You will have to pause the video on 1.26 to get a glimpse of them in the background.  ;)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: November 7, 2022, 08:13:17 pm »
For those who wait to see a certain acquaintance of Mary Malone.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2022, 05:07:30 pm »
As hinted at earlier on all the episodes will be available on iplayer from the 18th of December in the UK. It can be seen also on HBO Max which will start on the 5th of December, and it will include two episodes per week.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 3, 2022, 12:14:43 pm »
It's worth putting another warning on about the different times, different parts of the world will get to see His Dark Materials series three. It is due to go out on HBO Max on Monday the 5th of December, there will be two episodes early on. So, just be warned if you go on social media there will be spoilers everywhere best to avoid it as I intend to do, if you don't want it ruined for you. Can I also urge anyone who does manage to watch it early, please use spoiler tags on here. For us in the UK, all episodes available on iplayer on the 18th of December or you can watch it weekly on BBC1.

Can I just say screw HBO for this completely stupid scheduling.  :no
« Last Edit: December 3, 2022, 12:30:18 pm by tis the season to be jillc falafalalala la la la eh laaa »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: His Dark Materials - TV Series [Please use Spoiler tags]
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2022, 12:47:52 pm »
A reminder that series three kicks off tonight at 7pm. Once that episode has been completed the other episodes will be available on iplayer for those who would prefer to blitz the final series.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2022, 10:09:28 pm »
Started off strongly, just finished episode 2.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2022, 10:40:39 am »
Started off strongly, just finished episode 2.

Agree the filming has gone up a notch so beautiful to look at each scene.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2022, 07:41:26 pm »
Spoiler
As I was off in the afternoon, I decided to blitz series 3 and wow now I am proper destroyed. : I think overall it really worked and they certainly gave the ending real impact. I loved the Mulefa especially when they were on their wheels. I missed not having Tialys in it, but thought the whole cast did the business. I am happy with what they did with it, the show was beautifully filmed right from teh first moment. I am going to need time to recover from this, it feels like the first time I read the bloody book.(
[close]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2022, 09:53:28 pm »
We wanted to each episode 3, but it was downloading so slow on the Skybox, it took like 45 mins to get to 10mins so didn't bother, must have been loads downloading the episodes last night.

About to start episode 3 now.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2022, 06:34:24 am »
Ooh. Could be my next binge watch.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2022, 06:02:29 pm »
Just finished Series 3. Wow.

Spoiler
That was a great adaptation. Some moments that were heart-rending and the ending... ...must have been a lot of dust in the room as my eyes wouldn't stop watering.

My dad was a big fan of His Dark Materials and I asked an old friend oif his to read this at his funeral. I couldn't manage it myself.

"I'll be looking for you, Will, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again, we'll cling together so tight that nothing and no one'll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you...We'll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams...And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won't just be able to take one, they'll have to take two, one of you and one of me, we'll be joined so tight..."

I'll come back and write more. I might have to watch it again from the start.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2022, 06:04:51 pm »
Just finished Series 3. Wow.

Spoiler
That was a great adaptation. Some moments that were heart-rending and the ending... ...must have been a lot of dust in the room as my eyes wouldn't stop watering.

My dad was a big fan of His Dark Materials and I asked an old friend oif his to read this at his funeral. I couldn't manage it myself.

"I'll be looking for you, Will, every moment, every single moment. And when we do find each other again, we'll cling together so tight that nothing and no one'll ever tear us apart. Every atom of me and every atom of you...We'll live in birds and flowers and dragonflies and pine trees and in clouds and in those little specks of light you see floating in sunbeams...And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won't just be able to take one, they'll have to take two, one of you and one of me, we'll be joined so tight..."

I'll come back and write more. I might have to watch it again from the start.
[close]

Agree with every word Alan, they did a fantastic job on it.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2022, 12:22:07 pm »
It’s the best adaption of this we’ll get but they still got Asriel all wrong for me.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #181 on: January 1, 2023, 10:54:09 am »
It’s the best adaption of this we’ll get but they still got Asriel all wrong for me.

Have now finished watching and have to say I agree with you. Great actor but not the right one for this part I felt. Subjective view of course but having read the books you do tend to envisage a character in a certain way. It didn’t feel to me as if this was the man who many people in many worlds would come to follow and to lead them in this almighty struggle. For me he wasn’t quite extraordinary enough, grand enough and didn’t have enough of that air of natural superiority, arrogance and physical bearing that I imagined Asriel to have.

That aside, it is only a slight gripe as I was otherwise really very happy with the series and characterisations generally. Excellent TV.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 1, 2023, 12:13:51 pm »
That’s a fair comment. It didn’t bother me though and what he lacked in authority was balanced for me by his obsessive drive.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 1, 2023, 10:41:35 pm »

I’ve said before, but Scoresby was my major gripe. Casting for the name rather than suitability. Scoresby was a “tough looking” Texan cowboy in his late 50s, not a fast-talking New Yorker in his early 40s.  I guess they got the moustache right…

Asriel was different but somehow worked for me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 1, 2023, 11:14:43 pm »
Yes, I don't have a big problem with Asriel either, I kind of guess where people are coming from though. I have just seen the fourth episode again and it doesn't get any easier watching the last scene.  :(

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #185 on: January 2, 2023, 06:47:51 pm »
Yes, I don't have a big problem with Asriel either, I kind of guess where people are coming from though. I have just seen the fourth episode again and it doesn't get any easier watching the last scene.  :(
Tougher than watching Michael Thomas score that goal?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 2, 2023, 09:05:11 pm »
Tougher than watching Michael Thomas score that goal?

Definitely.  :(

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 3, 2023, 03:30:25 pm »
This is quite a good podcast on the show, which goes all the way back to series one.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/his-darker-materials/id1540162162

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #188 on: January 8, 2023, 02:32:31 pm »
Finished the third series yesterday. Wow. An amazing adaptation that had me gripped throughout. I read the books about 15 years ago and remembered that my interest in the story was high with Northern Lights but dimished with each of the subsequent installments. I think I found the war with heaven plot too overblown and, along with those strange animals, a clunky insertion of Pullmans atheism. I didn't feel that way with the series and loved it from start to finish.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 8, 2023, 03:03:07 pm »

Long time since I read the books but have enjoyed the adaptation. The final series was always going to be difficult as the source material was not easy to follow. The actors playing Will and Lyra have been excellent (very easy for child actors to grate) and for me they manage the chemistry from the books. Got a few episodes to go but it shows that with care and attention you can faithfully adapt anything.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 8, 2023, 03:04:15 pm »
Agree with you both, it's been an excellent adaption all the way through.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 8, 2023, 08:49:52 pm »
Wow, I watched episode four again and that separation scene is even more brutal on the second viewing. Great acting by Dafne and Kit who voices Pan. :(

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2023, 09:01:05 am »
Wow, I watched episode four again and that separation scene is even more brutal on the second viewing. Great acting by Dafne and Kit who voices Pan. :(

That was such a difficult thing to watch - I felt my heart breaking for Pan. Lyra had made her decision but he had no choice.  The acting was great and so was the animation of Pan.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2023, 01:08:59 pm »
That was such a difficult thing to watch - I felt my heart breaking for Pan. Lyra had made her decision but he had no choice.  The acting was great and so was the animation of Pan.

Have you read the books Alan? They slightly altered that incident, as in the book Pan stays quiet so that Lyra doesn't feel any guilt about it. But Philip Pullman has written another trilogy called the Book of Dust and in the second book the Secret Commonwealth deals with the separation at the Land of the Dead. Their relationship really falls apart when she is around 21. The way they did that scene is more in keeping with TSC, it makes me wonder if they will now go ahead and do the Book of Dust as a television adaption as well. I hope so.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2023, 10:03:17 am »
Have you read the books Alan? They slightly altered that incident, as in the book Pan stays quiet so that Lyra doesn't feel any guilt about it. But Philip Pullman has written another trilogy called the Book of Dust and in the second book the Secret Commonwealth deals with the separation at the Land of the Dead. Their relationship really falls apart when she is around 21. The way they did that scene is more in keeping with TSC, it makes me wonder if they will now go ahead and do the Book of Dust as a television adaption as well. I hope so.

Incidentally, do we know when the third book in the Book of Dust series is out? It's been a few years now since the release of TSC, I believe.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2023, 10:10:08 am »
Incidentally, do we know when the third book in the Book of Dust series is out? It's been a few years now since the release of TSC, I believe.

Rumours are it could be out around September or the end of 2023. This was an answer from Philip Pullman on Twitter a while ago.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2023, 10:22:59 am »
Rumours are it could be out around September or the end of 2023. This was an answer from Philip Pullman on Twitter a while ago.

Sounds promising, cheers!

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2023, 11:12:03 am »

That’s interesting Jill and I had a similar thought. Fascinating to see how the third book pans out (…. forgive the pun) as the the impact of the separation was such key part of the last book. 

I thought Dafne Keen was fantastic as Lyra and the way she matured both physically and emotionally in the series was spot on in every way. If they go onto make a television adaptation of the newer books in the next couple of years she could easily continue to play a twenty something Lyra, especially as they would need to do La Belle Sauvage first (which of course she couldn’t be in)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2023, 11:31:39 am »
I’ve said before, but Scoresby was my major gripe. Casting for the name rather than suitability. Scoresby was a “tough looking” Texan cowboy in his late 50s, not a fast-talking New Yorker in his early 40s.  I guess they got the moustache right…

Asriel was different but somehow worked for me.

I think the problem was that the perfect casting for Scoresby was already done in the film version with Sam Elliott.

I don't know if they'd have wanted to duplicate the casting, but probably a bit too old this time round anyway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2023, 12:31:05 pm »
I think the problem was that the perfect casting for Scoresby was already done in the film version with Sam Elliott.

I don't know if they'd have wanted to duplicate the casting, but probably a bit too old this time round anyway.

Regarding the part of Lee Scoresby, I feel the team behind this went for a different profile of the character. The way Lin-Manuel plays him reminds me more of a younger Lee Scoresby. In Pullman’s stand-alone book Once Upton a Time in the North, he was a different character to the one that Sam Elliot portrayed as he was the older version. Maybe they decided they couldn’t better that so went for a younger version of the character instead. Either way, it really didn’t bother me overall.