Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 541509 times)

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #1640 on: October 22, 2022, 04:32:22 pm »
If you told me in 2019 we’d have no CMs younger than Fabinho (except Keita), and Milner would still be at the club starting over 50% of our games in the 22/23 season, I’d have laughed at you.

Not sure where it went wrong? Was it our own transfer hubris, or have FSG completely pulled the arse out of the purse strings? Some questions have to be asked as the slow motion squad fuck up which many saw happening in front of their own eyes, has been epically stupid, which follows a phase of very effective not being stupidness from 2015-2019.

Still no news on Michael Edwards?

Personally - I think Coutinho bought FSG a few good years of PR and gave the club two world class footballers which allowed us to win stuff. Their modus operandi hasn’t changed much outside of that fortunate windfall.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 04:35:08 pm by bornandbRED »

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1641 on: October 22, 2022, 04:33:16 pm »
Our owner's wife looks more like his daughter, good on him. Rich people are rich because they don't spend their money. We have made him even more wealthy and have probably generated more money than any other football club in The World.
I would rather finish out of all of European places than play Thursdays next season..

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #1642 on: October 25, 2022, 10:45:17 am »
Pete O’Rourke reporting that Edwards is going to Utd.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #1643 on: October 25, 2022, 10:52:57 am »
Pete O’Rourke reporting that Edwards is going to Utd.

Well isn't that just fucking dandy
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1644 on: October 25, 2022, 11:20:22 am »
Well isn't that just fucking dandy

Imagine the fume if he does and they end up signing Bellingham.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #1645 on: October 25, 2022, 11:36:51 am »
At this point it's better if LFC don't overspend on Bellingham (who on all accounts will be a top player, sure) seeing as we need at least 2 new midfielders rather than a super expensive one.

Source is a bit unreliable but then again it was IndyKayla who first broke the news that Edwards was leaving LFC way back in august 2021. Sometimes sh1t sticks on the wall.

Edwards going to Utd where they have unlimited #GlazersOut cash - that's a tough scene.

I wonder what led Edwards out the door.
The change is cast

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1646 on: October 25, 2022, 11:39:33 am »
Imagine the fume if he does and they end up signing Bellingham.

there will be fume regardless.

Man Utd have and will spend an absolute fortune, having a really good sporting director WITH that fortune to spend, is bad news anyway.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1647 on: October 25, 2022, 11:46:59 am »
I remember my brother telling me years ago that in his business (hairdressing) they had exclusionary contracts that prevented them working for a geographically near rival. It just stopped salons getting closed down by poaching staff. We should have had the same with people like Edwards, it will harm us if he really does go to the Mancs.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1648 on: October 25, 2022, 11:51:17 am »
At this point it's better if LFC don't overspend on Bellingham (who on all accounts will be a top player, sure) seeing as we need at least 2 new midfielders rather than a super expensive one.

Our budget entirely depends on outgoing sales and we have been unable to get rid of fringe players for a decent value in the past few years. Tapping into the free agent market is the most likely outcome.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1649 on: October 25, 2022, 12:24:34 pm »
Terrible news, he is pivotal to everything good over the last few years, recruitment was spot on, and the culture around the club changed thanks to people like him.

He will go in with lots of info from LFC too, not happy about this, I think its very disrespectful from him too.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #1650 on: October 25, 2022, 12:28:18 pm »
I remember my brother telling me years ago that in his business (hairdressing) they had exclusionary contracts that prevented them working for a geographically near rival. It just stopped salons getting closed down by poaching staff. We should have had the same with people like Edwards, it will harm us if he really does go to the Mancs.

I'm sure there is a period, like a non-compete clause e.t.c  That gives us the chance to get our house in order before he goes and does his magic elsewhere, in theory.

But they wouldn't be able to uphold that for life, so once that clause is over, then he would be free to do what he likes.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1651 on: October 25, 2022, 12:35:28 pm »
What a rat.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1652 on: October 25, 2022, 12:36:26 pm »
A few months is a long time in football. Before Ten Hag they were a laughing stock playing overrated and past it players week in week out with no sense of purpose or direction. Now they’ve got a good manager who’s installing a better culture and look like having one of the finest sporting directors in the game. It’s not ideal to say the least that it’s coincided with us dropping off and needing to find solutions to some big problems. I think I would’ve preferred Edwards at Chelsea. He would’ve been at odds with Boehly whereas I think Man United will let him work.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1653 on: October 25, 2022, 12:37:10 pm »
Terrible news, he is pivotal to everything good over the last few years, recruitment was spot on, and the culture around the club changed thanks to people like him.
Yeh that Klopp geezer just made the tea

He will go in with lots of info from LFC too,
Old info

People should stop panicking. Edwards was here during Rodgers' time as well. It was the perfect synergy of several top-of-their-game individuals, on and off the pitch, that spun gold for us. There's no reason to think he, working within Utd's hilarious hierarchy, will monster everything in the same way. 
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1654 on: October 25, 2022, 12:46:21 pm »
I hope our Nerds are on iron clad contracts.

Other than that, United are a basket case of a club, as long as we have our people and process at identifying players i'm not worried.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:24:58 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline TwitterJayy

• Kopite
« Reply #1655 on: October 25, 2022, 01:00:39 pm »
Over reaction here surely. He was good at his job but no manager in the world would be able to do what Klopp has done?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1656 on: October 25, 2022, 01:02:32 pm »
Over reaction here surely. He was good at his job but no manager in the world would be able to do what Klopp has done?

Yep, not even any good sources reporting it anyway. Jurgen makes everyone look better than they are.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1657 on: October 25, 2022, 01:07:54 pm »
Yeh that Klopp geezer just made the tea
Old info

People should stop panicking. Edwards was here during Rodgers' time as well. It was the perfect synergy of several top-of-their-game individuals, on and off the pitch, that spun gold for us. There's no reason to think he, working within Utd's hilarious hierarchy, will monster everything in the same way.

People forget this. I’m not saying he wasn’t good at his job, but when we had some fans on here talking about statues and going overboard about his negotiation capabilities it was a bit embarrassing.

He’s proved he can work well within the right structure, under Rodgers showed that if the structure isn’t right, he won’t look as good. Having a manager that can elevate players performances helps too.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1658 on: October 25, 2022, 01:10:22 pm »
This news doesn't surprise me he lives over in Manc land.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1659 on: October 25, 2022, 01:16:46 pm »
Think I preferred the timeline where he was off to Nice to fuck around on boats and whatever else it is they do there.

Remember also hearing he might spend time out of football to do something else entirely. Could never believe that. His talents would be wasted elsewhere.

For me it's one of those who knows? situations. Are they better off for him being there? Yes, surely they are, but other situations behind the scenes will also tell the tale. Of course when you have Klopp it makes your job easier but his own work was massive too

I'd have loved him to stay behind the scenes beyond Klopp and help shape us going forward. If he does end up at United it'll no doubt fuel rumours that he left Liverpool because he probably didn't feel able to keep doing his job at a good enough level going forward, and it's be pretty hard to argue otherwise at that stage surely.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1660 on: October 25, 2022, 01:19:53 pm »

I'd have loved him to stay behind the scenes beyond Klopp and help shape us going forward. If he does end up at United it'll no doubt fuel rumours that he left Liverpool because he probably didn't feel able to keep doing his job at a good enough level going forward, and it's be pretty hard to argue otherwise at that stage surely.
More than rumours mate, consensus seems to be that he didn’t feel the funding would be available to make the changes he felt needed to be made to the squad.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1661 on: October 25, 2022, 01:22:18 pm »
People forget this. I’m not saying he wasn’t good at his job, but when we had some fans on here talking about statues and going overboard about his negotiation capabilities it was a bit embarrassing.

He’s proved he can work well within the right structure, under Rodgers showed that if the structure isn’t right, he won’t look as good. Having a manager that can elevate players performances helps too.

He's clearly very good at his job.  I wonder if Utd's analytics department is as big or as good as ours is though.  All of that data that we compile, he won't have access to if he does take the job at a different club. 

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #1662 on: October 25, 2022, 01:24:24 pm »
More than rumours mate, consensus seems to be that he didn’t feel the funding would be available to make the changes he felt needed to be made to the squad.

I sincerely hope that is not the case
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #1663 on: October 25, 2022, 01:27:26 pm »
Imagine getting tribally angry that a professional businessman goes to a job that will pay him a fortune, but thinking he shouldn't out of some loyalty to the football club he worked at before ...

He's not a player you know.

I'm just gutted because they are c*nts and he'll improve them recruitment wise probably. With massive money behind him.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1664 on: October 25, 2022, 01:29:24 pm »
Edwards got a thing for Disneyland after all?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1665 on: October 25, 2022, 01:46:00 pm »
*shrugs*

If he does, we’ll see. Are there actually many instances of sporting directors moving elsewhere with similar success? I remember Everton signing the genius who signed Kante, Mahrez and Vardy to much fanfare and fucking him off about a year later to much less fanfare after he spunked £250 million on the likes of Sigurdsson, Tosun, Walcott and Klaasen. Wasn’t Comolli meant to be a genius after he left Arsenal?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1666 on: October 25, 2022, 01:52:05 pm »
*shrugs*

If he does, we’ll see. Are there actually many instances of sporting directors moving elsewhere with similar success? I remember Everton signing the genius who signed Kante, Mahrez and Vardy to much fanfare and fucking him off about a year later to much less fanfare after he spunked £250 million on the likes of Sigurdsson, Tosun, Walcott and Klaasen. Wasn’t Comolli meant to be a genius after he left Arsenal?

Campos who’s now at PSG. He got Monaco loads of beasts and built the Lille team that won Ligue 1 in 2020/21. I suspect there are quite a few more but they go under the radar most of the time because it’s not really sexy to know who’s signing players unless you support the team.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1667 on: October 25, 2022, 02:13:26 pm »
He's clearly very good at his job.  I wonder if Utd's analytics department is as big or as good as ours is though.  All of that data that we compile, he won't have access to if he does take the job at a different club.
Unless we forgot to cancel his log in  ;D

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1668 on: October 25, 2022, 02:28:11 pm »
Can we not have at least ONE day that doesn't have something that lead to this place going hysterical

Edwards at United. Alright. He may set up a good network and work well for them. He may not. I don't think our issue is analytic scouting (the players we got in since Edwards left have been good) our issue is with investment. We can still pick out a player just got fuck all to spend

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #1669 on: October 25, 2022, 02:33:25 pm »
*shrugs*

What a shocking window that was for the ev, 3 attacking midfielders, Keane, Walcott and T-Rex arms — although he will go down as a legend for injuring Van Dijk. The tweet from that bellend Richard Keys made it even funnier when it went tits up.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1670 on: October 25, 2022, 02:37:06 pm »
Someone remind our IT guys to change the passwords
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1671 on: October 25, 2022, 04:33:21 pm »
Is this actually reported anywhere reliable? Or are people losing it over a report from "Football Insider"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1672 on: October 25, 2022, 04:46:17 pm »
Is this actually reported anywhere reliable? Or are people losing it over a report from "Football Insider"

I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1673 on: October 25, 2022, 04:54:01 pm »
Ben Jacobs
@JacobsBen
·
4h
Manchester United do like Michael Edwards, but he is not close to joining. Edwards has made no decision on his next role and is keeping all options open. Nothing is imminent (even with a view to next summer).

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1674 on: October 25, 2022, 04:57:46 pm »
Maybe Edwards briefed the press, to gauge the reaction before he decides :D

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1675 on: October 25, 2022, 04:59:26 pm »
I read that in a way that he interested.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1676 on: October 25, 2022, 05:08:59 pm »

Source is a bit unreliable but then again it was IndyKayla who first broke the news that Edwards was leaving LFC way back in august 2021. Sometimes sh1t sticks on the wall.

Edwards going to Utd where they have unlimited #GlazersOut cash - that's a tough scene.

I wonder what led Edwards out the door.

Given Fabinho’s form and Thiago’s injury issues we might need 3. Pretty brutal needing to replace Keita, Ox, Milner, Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago but that’s looking like it might be the reality. Henderson can become Milner in terms of depth lists and hopefully Jones or Elliot can cement their place in the ‘first 14’. If not though and our youngsters aren’t good enough… my, my we need to replace a 3rd of our squad in 2/3 windows. Having a gaping hole at the 23-27 age for midfielders wasn’t very bright.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #1677 on: October 25, 2022, 05:10:03 pm »
Maybe Edwards briefed the press, to gauge the reaction before he decides :D

To gauge the reaction in Liverpool?

:)
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1678 on: October 25, 2022, 05:53:59 pm »
There is a hell of a lot of clickbait articles being pushed at the moment isn't there because of how frothy a lot of our fanbase currently are

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1679 on: October 25, 2022, 06:29:06 pm »
There is a hell of a lot of clickbait articles being pushed at the moment isn't there because of how frothy a lot of our fanbase currently are

Yes, apparently our success was all down to Michael according to some on twitter.