Author Topic: Climate Emergency is already here. How much worse it gets is still up to us (?)  (Read 371912 times)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The thing is most developing countries still have increasing populations. India for example is projected to reach 1.7bn people before levelling off if I remember right from the podcast I was listening to the other day.

This means if they want to freeze emissions, they effectively have to reduce emissions per person - and in turn living standards - in order to stand still.

What we should be doing is finding ways to encourage green growth in developing countries - in a way bypassing some of the steps developed countries went through and going straight to renewables/public transport etc.
This. But this approach will negatively impact lifestyles in developed nations. It would seem there is some resistance to this. But it is what must happen to bring developing nations to the table. It is all well and good to state that developing nations cannot develop because of climate change, but if developed nations cannot even bring down their greenhouse gas levels, what hope is there that they are willing to take a significant hit to help out nations which are striving to get out of poverty? And this does not even get into how developed nations got there by exploiting the non-developed world.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 03:46:12 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I took this photo with my DashCam early October, its Booth Wood Reservoir on the M62, just after you cross the highest point at the border between Lancashire and Yorkshire, its on the left when heading east. Its maximum depth is 152 feet

Sunday I was going to Goole and the levels hadn't seemed to change much, normally at this time of the year its full to the brim and actually overflowing in the middle cut out section.

The next reservoir is Scammonden Reservoir and that is still really low too
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
I've got an EV on order.

I've replaced almost all my lightbulbs with LEDs
No negative impact upon you and your lifestyle.
I recycle
Good. How much of an impact is this upon you? And, is it not mandated by your council?
I've turned down the thermostat
How low? Do you actually feel chilly?
And will be travelling by ferry (and EV) for my summer holiday next near instead of aeroplane.
Driving to a foreign destination for your holidays might be the very definition of a First World hardship.
Oh, and myself and wife have only 2 children, thus keeping the population stable.
Come on now. That's probably your choice for personal reasons rather than climate change. And it is still above the UK national average of 1.7 per couple.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
This. But this approach will negatively impact lifestyles in developed nations. It would seem there is some resistance to this. But is what must happen to bring developing nations to the table. It is all well and good to state that developing nations cannot develop because of climate change, but if developed nations cannot even bring down their greenhouse gas levels, what hope is there that they are willing to take a significant hit to help out nations which are striving to get out of poverty? And this does not even get into how developed nations got there by exploiting the non-developed world.

between 1990 and 2018, the US decresed its per-capita figure from 19.3 to 16.1 metric tons per year; the UK from 9.7 to 5.6; France from 6.4 to 5.0

Worth also noting that 'develping countries like South Africa, Iran, Malaysia, Iraq, China, Mongolia, Russia all have higher per-capita GHG emissions than the UK or France.

That 6 out of the 12 worst GHG polluters are in the Arab Middle East.

And that, if current rates of growth/decrease are continued, Thailand, Brazil, Indonesia, Egypt and India (plus many more 'develping countries') will all have higher per-capita GHG emissions than the UK and France by 2050.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan

Worth also noting that 'develping countries like South Africa, Iran, Malaysia, Iraq, China, Mongolia, Russia all have higher per-capita GHG emissions than the UK or France.

That 6 out of the 12 worst GHG polluters are in the Arab Middle East.

And that, if current rates of growth/decrease are continued, Thailand, Brazil, Indonesia, Egypt and India (plus many more 'develping countries') will all have higher per-capita GHG emissions than the UK and France by 2050.

Does this take into account factories that move to developing nations to produce goods for developed nations to consume?

Look, we can all do more, but it takes a global sacrifice, and developed nations are going to have to experience a drop in living standards that the majority will not be able to withstand if there's truly action taken.
King Kenny.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

That's all great but, you still have a carbon footprint far greater than the average person in those developing countries that you refuse to help.

You come across as a rich person living in a rich country, pointing the finger at the victim (poorer countries), telling them what they should be doing, without giving them actual support.

Remember, we are the ones mostly responsible for this.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I took this photo with my DashCam early October, its Booth Wood Reservoir on the M62, just after you cross the highest point at the border between Lancashire and Yorkshire, its on the left when heading east. Its maximum depth is 152 feet

Sunday I was going to Goole and the levels hadn't seemed to change much, normally at this time of the year its full to the brim and actually overflowing in the middle cut out section.

The ones on Woodhead are still really low too.  The one you drive over has grass growing where the water normally is.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

That's mad.  Just shows you how bad the droubts were this year!  We definitely could see a knock-on effect into next year!

I was in the Peak District in August, the reservoirs were really low there.  There were warning signs of soft mud, yet we were just walking along the dried earth, righ up to the edge!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
The ones on Woodhead are still really low too.  The one you drive over has grass growing where the water normally is.

I'd imagine that, once all the rain from the last week flows through, they'll look better.

For reservoirs that serve the NW of England, the average is at 69.8% full to 13th Nov (against an ave of 83.1%). Higher levels in the Cumbrian ones than N Wales/Pennine (https://www.unitedutilities.com/help-and-support/your-water-supply/your-reservoirs/reservoir-levels/)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 04:02:30 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
Look, we can all do more, but it takes a global sacrifice, and developed nations are going to have to experience a drop in living standards that the majority will not be able to withstand if there's truly action taken.

Absolutely we all need to do more.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan

Absolutely we all need to do more.

I'm hoping that's what will bring the world together.  I know that despite China-US tensions, the two are back committed to climate cooperation and such.  So maybe competition, especially in the developing world, will help.

Developing countries could benefit from expertise (in developing renewable infrastructure, public transit, climate-friendly lifestyles, etc).

That's at least what I'm hoping for.

To yours and Ian's points, there could be a midpoint of sorts for everyone, and that's probably the best case.
King Kenny.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
First UK coal mine in decades approved despite climate concerns https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63892381

I’m sure it’s been mentioned elsewhere but this is utterly egregious. Climate campaigners must be in total despair. How do you try and get a government to commit to any sort of meaningful environmental change when they’re dumping waste into rivers and greenlighting coal mines in 2022.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
First UK coal mine in decades approved despite climate concerns https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63892381

I’m sure it’s been mentioned elsewhere but this is utterly egregious. Climate campaigners must be in total despair. How do you try and get a government to commit to any sort of meaningful environmental change when they’re dumping waste into rivers and greenlighting coal mines in 2022.

You just have to fight them in the courts and write everything off, until the next GE.  Nothing good will happen while these pricks are in power.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan

At the recent COP27, the UK was strongly arguing for less global use of coal.

Environmental concerns is just froth for the Tory Party. You can also add removing restrictions on pesticides that are harmful to the wider environment and changing the planning laws to give housebuilding giants more power to force planners to allow big new estates on greenbelt land.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan

Oh look, the new coal mine in Cumbria given approval by the Tory Government is owned by a bunch of tax dodgers based in the Cayman Islands.

So they'll presumably use loopholes to not pay any tax to the UK.

Wonder what size the brown envelopes were?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/08/cumbria-coalmine-is-owned-by-private-equity-firm-with-caymans-base

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
I see the next 50 years putting a lot of stress on first world countries as I view regions in the world will no longer be able to support life.

Rising sea levels will move coast lines and droughts or extreme weather will start to push people away from some regions that are warming up. It looks like average temperatures are increasing as you go further north. I think this makes crop production possible in areas further north than before but destroys crops nearer the equator.

The regions that start to fail will have populations that want to move some where else, like central america at the moment that has had repeated crop failures.

I envisage the successful countries start to get more economic migrants than they already get now.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Global warming. Feel the burn Andy

Greta Thunberg
@GretaThunberg
yes, please do enlighten me. email me at smalldickenergy@getalife.com

Quote Tweet
Andrew Tate
@Cobratate
·
27 Dec
Hello @GretaThunberg

I have 33 cars.

My Bugatti has a w16 8.0L quad turbo.

My TWO Ferrari 812 competizione have 6.5L v12s.

This is just the start.

Please provide your email address so I can send a complete list of my car collection and their respective enormous emissions.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Suveränt!  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
I don’t know who he is, but he just got destroyed in every way…..

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
Nice that, from Greta. ;D
So, this Tate fella has a Wiki entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Tate

Seems nice.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
Global warming. Feel the burn Andy
And with all the 'wit' and intelligence of a stunted nine-year-old, Tate responds:

https://twitter.com/Cobratate/status/1608212791009374208

What a thoroughly unimpressive 'man'.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
And with all the 'wit' and intelligence of a stunted nine-year-old, Tate responds:

Guy's been totally schooled and resorts to mirroring insult that doesn't even make sense. Wow. Marcus Aurelius said it best here - "People should know when they're defeated."

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan

When you have to stage a response you've definitely lost.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
His wiki has been updated  ;D

Believer

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
It's impressive in this day and age of the stream of c*nts and twats online that he has come out of nowhere and taken the crown as the biggest. This new era of TikTok and YouTube Shorts of quick clips that can be shared easily and quickly is giving rise to people like this. Say something controversial and it's spread even faster

Where do I get off? Think I'm done

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And I thought Greta was against burning fossils.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
And I thought Greta was against burning fossils.
Very good!

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
His wiki has been updated  ;D

Love that! ;D

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class

He's now been arrested in Romania for human trafficking. Romanian authorities used his tweets to Greta to determine he was in the country

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
He's now been arrested in Romania for human trafficking. Romanian authorities used his tweets to Greta to determine he was in the country

:lmao :lmao please be true!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
:lmao :lmao please be true!

Apparently the pizzas he had delivered during the video are from a Romanian chain. :D

I’d never really heard of him apart from seeing his name mentioned once in a while but it’s hilarious if he’s getting some comeuppance because he’s so thin skinned he couldn’t handle a Twitter spat.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
Apparently the pizzas he had delivered during the video are from a Romanian chain. :D

I’d never really heard of him apart from seeing his name mentioned once in a while but it’s hilarious if he’s getting some comeuppance because he’s so thin skinned he couldn’t handle a Twitter spat.

Pizzagate.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
 :lmao

Good riddance.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
Reckon its a set up.

Convenient all the press was there.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:00:58 pm by Spezialo »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Reckon its a set up.

eh?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reckon its a set up.

So someone set him up to message her out of the blue and get roasted? I don't get it?

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
So someone set him up to message her out of the blue and get roasted? I don't get it?

The human trafficking accusations, not messages to Greta

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The human trafficking accusations, not messages to Greta

I still don't understand how it's a setup?

Offline Spezialo

• Kopite
I still don't understand how it's a setup?

Just think its a bit strange how he had this spat with Greta and now he's been taken in accused of human trafficking.

Who knows?!

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just think its a bit strange how he had this spat with Greta and now he's been taken in accused of human trafficking.

Who knows?!

it's not his first time having accusations for this? he was identified by the pizza boxes as Romanian authorities were continuing to investigate him.
YNWA.