Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 166422 times)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #1120 on: February 8, 2023, 06:04:22 pm »
Finally got round to cancelling this today,  saving me £60 a month
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1121 on: February 20, 2023, 10:44:15 pm »
Just had email today that inline with changes to their service my bill will increase by £10 per month. ::)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1122 on: February 20, 2023, 11:04:20 pm »
If you’re not happy with that you might be able to cancel for free, check the terms.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: February 23, 2023, 01:00:12 pm »
Going to stick with them as I'm a "VIP" customer but will call them and see if I can amend costs going forward.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1124 on: March 1, 2023, 01:54:01 pm »
Getting Sky Q this month as had been on an old box for ages. Got a fair bit off my monthly cost too (about £40) although won’t notice that for long as they said prices are rising in April anyway!

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1125 on: March 22, 2023, 07:01:27 pm »
Sky are playing drity tricks. You ask for cancellations who put you through to a valuation team. That team knocks off about £10 to see if you are happy to accept. So you have to ask for the cancellations again to get a better deal.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1126 on: March 22, 2023, 07:29:27 pm »
Getting Sky Q this month as had been on an old box for ages. Got a fair bit off my monthly cost too (about £40) although won’t notice that for long as they said prices are rising in April anyway!

I did the same as they would no longer sevice the old boxes without charging

Sky Q is all internet based and is only as good as your internet connection
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1127 on: March 22, 2023, 07:52:18 pm »
Sky Q still delivers all of the live broadcast over satellite, just all the catchup services etc are over Internet. Sky Glass is the fully Internet delivered product.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1128 on: March 22, 2023, 07:58:38 pm »
Cheers. Our internet isn’t the most reliable to be honest. But that’s provided by Sky so if there’s any problems I’ll be kicking off.

Do you still record/series link things or do you just watch them via the on demand stuff?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1129 on: March 22, 2023, 09:15:48 pm »
Do you still record/series link things or do you just watch them via the on demand stuff?
Both!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1130 on: March 22, 2023, 09:44:34 pm »
Both!

Cheers. So if you record you effectively watch it from what saved in the box as opposed to streaming it online?

Should have asked this earlier because inevitably things will be my fault if they don’t work. :D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1131 on: March 22, 2023, 10:00:45 pm »
Cheers. So if you record you effectively watch it from what saved in the box as opposed to streaming it online?
That's it. It does helpfully down load next episode of show if possible as well! Sky Q is good.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1132 on: March 22, 2023, 10:28:56 pm »
Sky Q is brilliant, had it since late 2017, it's been flawless.

When you're getting it installed, ask the Engineer if you're getting one of those remotes with the voice control function.

I got one when it was being installed but have read that some people were never given one, they cost around £30 quid as well.

My eldest was around 5 when we got ours installed, it got irritating quickly when she'd grab the remote while I was watching something and tell it to switch over to Cartoon Network or Nickolodean and start laughing and run to the other room. ::)
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1133 on: March 23, 2023, 06:05:14 pm »
All installed. And yes, got the voice controlled remote. All looks good.
Just set up the Netflix, Prime and Disney Plus that previously couldn’t get in our living room (or I was too inept). Bit of a game changer as long as it all works ok. All good so far.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1134 on: March 23, 2023, 06:12:37 pm »
Cheers. Our internet isn’t the most reliable to be honest. But that’s provided by Sky so if there’s any problems I’ll be kicking off.

You can do both.  The interface is inferior to normal sky, as is the remote control.
The  positives are you can store more recorded and downloaded stuff than previously and the voice control function is really good.

The mini boxes are more prone to error than the main box, but I seem to remember thats less of an issue for you

Edit - They offer a reduction on Netflix via Sky Q
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:14:35 pm by Kenny's Jacket »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1135 on: March 23, 2023, 06:26:23 pm »
Great shout on the remote. I'd forgot about that.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1136 on: March 23, 2023, 06:31:22 pm »

You can do both.  The interface is inferior to normal sky, as is the remote control.
The  positives are you can store more recorded and downloaded stuff than previously and the voice control function is really good.

The mini boxes are more prone to error than the main box, but I seem to remember thats less of an issue for you

Edit - They offer a reduction on Netflix via Sky Q

Ah, don’t say that! Die to the weird layout of the house, had to out the main box upstairs and the mini one downstairs. All works ok on day one so that’ll do for now. Eek. And yeah, think the Netflix is part of my Sky bill now and I’ll stop paying the monthly subscription separately.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1137 on: March 23, 2023, 07:55:47 pm »
Ah, don’t say that! Die to the weird layout of the house, had to out the main box upstairs and the mini one downstairs. All works ok on day one so that’ll do for now. Eek. And yeah, think the Netflix is part of my Sky bill now and I’ll stop paying the monthly subscription separately.

Our living room also has a mini box due to the mini box.

To be fair the internets probably better in London than rural North Wales. 

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1138 on: March 23, 2023, 09:55:22 pm »
Our living room also has a mini box due to the mini box.

To be fair the internets probably better in London than rural North Wales. 

You can put them on ethernet, much more stable.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1139 on: March 23, 2023, 10:08:24 pm »

I don’t actually know what they’ve done. :D

Mini box does have an HDMI cable going into the wall which connects to the TV on the wall. Think it is relying on the wifi but they said when you download it downloads to the box rather than streaming it relaying on the tv to connect to the wifi Simon that respect I think it’s fairly reliable. Time will tell obviously!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1140 on: March 23, 2023, 10:25:52 pm »

;D Thanks, but Ive got no idea what that means.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1141 on: March 24, 2023, 05:28:44 pm »
I don’t actually know what they’ve done. :D

Mini box does have an HDMI cable going into the wall which connects to the TV on the wall. Think it is relying on the wifi but they said when you download it downloads to the box rather than streaming it relaying on the tv to connect to the wifi Simon that respect I think it’s fairly reliable. Time will tell obviously!

They'll have put it on wifi because it's what they're told to do. The engineer who came to mine told me they only work on wifi but I'd seen the ethernet ports on both so I just let them install it and then figured it out on my own.

They just need to be on the same network, you'll have access to the recordings and all channels on ipads etc on your home network through the sky app.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1142 on: May 1, 2023, 12:10:00 am »
Until January I was paying £56 a month for my Sky package, then with the RPI increase and my current deal expiring next month it goes up to £76 a month. Called them up today to see what they would do for me so went through the usual process, the first person you speak to in India doesn’t offer anything so I say I definitely want to cancel, then got put through to someone from over here expecting them to at least knock something off the price like they usually do, explained that if I was a new customer I can still get my deal for £57 quid, Virgin offer similar deals for the same, I’ve been a customer for 6 years and they absolutely refused to budge on the price, I even said to them to cancel it and they still refused to budge.

Has anyone else tried to haggle with them recently?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1143 on: May 1, 2023, 07:40:04 am »
Until January I was paying £56 a month for my Sky package, then with the RPI increase and my current deal expiring next month it goes up to £76 a month. Called them up today to see what they would do for me so went through the usual process, the first person you speak to in India doesn’t offer anything so I say I definitely want to cancel, then got put through to someone from over here expecting them to at least knock something off the price like they usually do, explained that if I was a new customer I can still get my deal for £57 quid, Virgin offer similar deals for the same, I’ve been a customer for 6 years and they absolutely refused to budge on the price, I even said to them to cancel it and they still refused to budge.

A good few months ago and it wasn’t  even a haggle they just said £2 more than the £61 ( I think ) I was paying inc Netflix . That sounds like what it used to be like , you had to cancel then halfway through your termination notice they come back to you .

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1144 on: May 1, 2023, 03:41:35 pm »

Give them your 30 day cancellation notice. The offers will start coming in once you’ve done that.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1145 on: May 1, 2023, 05:42:31 pm »

I cancelled my Sports sub years ago, cancelled Sky completely earlier in the year, the only thing I miss is not being able to pause live TV but don't watch much live TV anyway as usually have something on so watch most on catch up etc.

I'd cancel it and stop them ripping you off.

They will come back to you during your cancellation window though after you give notice

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #1146 on: May 2, 2023, 10:45:16 pm »
I cancelled my Sports sub years ago, cancelled Sky completely earlier in the year, the only thing I miss is not being able to pause live TV but don't watch much live TV anyway as usually have something on so watch most on catch up etc.

I'd cancel it and stop them ripping you off.

They will come back to you during your cancellation window though after you give notice

Ideally I’d tell them to fuck off and actually leave. The problem is Sky actually have me by the balls, my parents and wife all watch a lot of Indian TV (it’s all my parents watch) and Sky have very good offering of Indian channels where as Virgins is pretty poor by comparison. Plus my dad is going through chemotherapy at the moment so doesn’t really leave the house so relies on the TV to keep him entertained so I can’t be without Sky, we even recently got an extra Sky box so he can watch TV in bed as he spends about 23 hours of the day there, other then that we have a very basic package, no cinema or sports or anything like that.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1147 on: May 3, 2023, 08:42:10 am »
Ideally I’d tell them to fuck off and actually leave. The problem is Sky actually have me by the balls, my parents and wife all watch a lot of Indian TV (it’s all my parents watch) and Sky have very good offering of Indian channels where as Virgins is pretty poor by comparison. Plus my dad is going through chemotherapy at the moment so doesn’t really leave the house so relies on the TV to keep him entertained so I can’t be without Sky, we even recently got an extra Sky box so he can watch TV in bed as he spends about 23 hours of the day there, other then that we have a very basic package, no cinema or sports or anything like that.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, my Mum spends A lot of time in front of the telly, with arthritis so Im also stuck with Sky, they are fuckers,

I was forced into Sky Q as they refused to fix my old boxes, they said they will provide free maintenance if I get Sky Q.
I got a call from them other day trying to sell me insurance if the boxes stop working, they're fuckers .

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1148 on: May 3, 2023, 10:39:27 am »
Hmm, I thought the deal when sky q came out was that the box remained their property, so you're only buying a service from them, if the box stops working then it should be on them to restore that service.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1149 on: May 3, 2023, 11:19:12 am »
Hmm, I thought the deal when sky q came out was that the box remained their property, so you're only buying a service from them, if the box stops working then it should be on them to restore that service.

They were the reasons I swapped from normal Sky.
So was pretty pissed off when they tried to sell me insurance

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1150 on: May 3, 2023, 11:21:59 am »
Sky have always been fuckers for the insurance thing I think. I’ve never taken it out but would they say it was your problem if the box stopped working?

There’s probably a warranty for a period of time but after that they’d say you were liable for costs/repairs I reckon.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1151 on: May 3, 2023, 02:39:02 pm »

That's expensive for the basic package without sports or anything.  Give them your 30 days notice and you'll either get offers within your mysky account, or they'll contact you directly with deals.  If you hear nothing after 2 weeks contact them again and ask for a deal.  Worst case scenario is you ring up before the 30 days and say you want to stay, but I've never known anyone not to get a better offer after handing in your 30 day notice.

Sky have always been fuckers for the insurance thing I think. I’ve never taken it out but would they say it was your problem if the box stopped working?

There’s probably a warranty for a period of time but after that they’d say you were liable for costs/repairs I reckon.

I think the sky protect insurance that they offer covers additional equipment like mobile phones, routers etc.  The Sky boxes are always a grey area, the older Sky HD boxes are your property and the Sky Q remain the property of Sky.  I know someone who had an issue with a box after having it a few years and they were told that there would be a call out charge, they said they were going to cancel, then next thing you know is that they're sending someone out to fix it for free!  Your monthly subscription is worth more to them than a call out charge.  I think without the insurance they'd fix the box for you, but it probably wouldn't be in a timely period like it would be if you had their insurance.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1152 on: May 3, 2023, 03:25:12 pm »
Has anyone ever had anything from Sky VIP?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1153 on: May 3, 2023, 03:37:17 pm »
Call Of Duty beta invites for the last 3 years, Sky have a tie up with Activision.

Do get offers to watch a film on them from the store, never bothered with them
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1154 on: May 3, 2023, 03:48:43 pm »

I used to regularly get tickets to watch Glos cricket but they dried up a year or so back.  Get the odd cinema ticket and they recently gave away six months Apple TV.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1155 on: May 4, 2023, 07:03:42 am »
I used to regularly get tickets to watch Glos cricket but they dried up a year or so back.  Get the odd cinema ticket and they recently gave away six months Apple TV.

Call Of Duty beta invites for the last 3 years, Sky have a tie up with Activision.

Do get offers to watch a film on them from the store, never bothered with them

Ive not downloaded the App, but that seems a bit underwhelming.
We've had a subscription sine the early 90's. After that advert where the guy meets Anthony, Joshua,
I was harbouring hopes of a Klopp hug

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1156 on: May 4, 2023, 07:06:18 am »
Just the the Apple TV offer mentioned above. Everything else unless free like watching film online or Sky Store then no.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #1157 on: May 6, 2023, 08:30:16 pm »
Got free tickets to racing at Newmarket. I’m convinced it’s because we’re fairly local
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1158 on: May 7, 2023, 05:34:57 pm »
that's true, ours stopped working and they replaced if free of charge without insurance which I cancelled when we moved to Sky Q

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1159 on: May 7, 2023, 05:38:33 pm »
Just the the Apple TV offer mentioned above. Everything else unless free like watching film online or Sky Store then no.
same, not bothered with anything apart from the Apple TV, I have another one free from Barclaycard too, which I'll activate once the Sky one runs out, that one included 6 month of other Apple offerings too