Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 506153 times)

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2024, 01:02:32 pm »
I think it has to be Xabi. Losing Jürgen is such a massive loss that I think we need someone who has a connection to the club and loves the club so there is an instant connection between club, manager and fans.
Also, I just don’t see any great candidates out there anyway.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2024, 01:02:59 pm »
Amorim seems really interesting, done a brilliant job there, meant to be a great guy too, what he did in that little spell at Braga was pretty remarkable too hence Sporting taking him straight away. Not anyone obvious like Jurgen but def enough young, talented guys about ready to step up and hopefully we pick the right one.

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2024, 01:04:44 pm »
A someone who likes stats, what do you think about hiring him when his side is massively over performing their XG for and against (according to Opta)? they have Leverkusen third behind Bayern and Stuttgart https://fbref.com/en/comps/20/Bundesliga-Stats

Could be seen as a positive in terms of getting the most out a group of players. Being clinical etc probably comes from players confidence.

Under Klopp in the early days one of our counters always probably lead to a goal. Not so much now. Could be Mane/firmino/salah were better or just more confident than Nunez diaz salah. I guess it could be argued Xabi is getting the best out of his players.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2024, 01:10:00 pm »
All I can tell you for certain that we all can agree on is FSG have to back the next one more than they did with klopp

If anyone thinks that FSG is going to change how they run the club when the next manager comes in then they are in for a massive disappointment. 

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2024, 01:11:26 pm »
It comes at an intriguing time for some of our players. Trent's position under a new manager will be interesting, as will how Nunez may fit in.

Players like Jones, Elliott and Quansah all face interesting futures too. All clearly favourites of Klopp and thriving under him, I hope the new manager has a good track record of improving players like these.

I dismissed him as soon as I saw him linked but the more I think about it it wouldn't be the worst idea. Unai Emery?
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2024, 01:13:00 pm »
1) Xabi
2) Flick
3) Napoli manager
4) De Zebri
5) Mbappe player manager.

Got a feeling Xabi is already done (wishful thinking), if we knew in November then work will be well underway to get a replacement in.

We’re in a much better place than when we were last searching for a manager, I’m confident in the clubs owners to bring the right man in.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: January 27, 2024, 01:13:41 pm »
Only one manager from the ones linked so far I’d be gutted if they signed elsewhere, and that’s Alonso.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #207 on: January 27, 2024, 01:14:39 pm »
A someone who likes stats, what do you think about hiring him when his side is massively over performing their XG for and against (according to Opta)? they have Leverkusen third behind Bayern and Stuttgart https://fbref.com/en/comps/20/Bundesliga-Stats

Just from this and for any Bundesliga fans, how good a manager, or how good a job is Hoeness doing? Would argue his turnaround of Stuttgart seems just, if not more impressive than Alonso with Leverkusen. They were a Champions League side who then underperformed before Alonso took over midseason. Stuttgart were battling relegation for 2 seasons before this

Yeah they’re unlikely to win the league because they’ll mean revert on the attacking side but  he’s taken the team in 17th, spent very little and they’re slapping the Bundesliga around at the same rate we do in our league - they’re at +1.0xg/90

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: January 27, 2024, 01:15:12 pm »
A lot us us do feel our recent success is 100% down to Klopp and FSG got lucky getting him as he won despite their lack of backing. So it will be very interesting to see how they back the next manager.

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 27, 2024, 01:15:18 pm »
Always thought Xabi would make a great manager here ever since I listened to him on Carragher’s podcast. Brilliant football mind, level headed, loves it in Liverpool, and played in the biggest games.

The only thing is that he’s slightly lacking in the charisma department, but I think that’s a plus in a way as he won’t be ever be seen as someone trying to emulate Klopp. Think he will bring a refreshing change to the club after Klopp.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:17:38 pm by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: January 27, 2024, 01:16:14 pm »
1) Xabi
2) Flick
3) Napoli manager
4) De Zebri

Got a feeling Xabi is already done (wishful thinking), if we knew in November then work will be well underway to get a replacement in.

We’re in a much better place than when we were last searching for a manager, I’m confident in the clubs owners to bring the right man in.

Walter Mazzarri hey. Well he knows the PL from his stint at Watford I guess ;D
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #211 on: January 27, 2024, 01:16:41 pm »
Surely it’s between Xabi, RDZ and Amorim.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2024, 01:17:12 pm »
Always thought Xavi would make a great manager here ever since I listened to him on Carragher’s podcast. Brilliant football mind, level headed, loves it in Liverpool, and played in the biggest games.

The only thing is that he’s slightly lacking in the charisma department, but I think that’s a plus in a way as he won’t be ever be seen as someone trying to emulate Klopp. Think he will bring a refreshing change to the club after Klopp.

He's not doing a spectacular job at Barca! :D

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2024, 01:18:05 pm »
I'm very interested to see where Ljinders ends up. I had always assumed he would be next after Jurgen.

I would assume that he'll get a decent job somewhere.  He'll have one hell of a reference in Klopp who will give him great reviews to any potential new club. 

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2024, 01:18:08 pm »
Imo, character-wise, RDZ seems closer to Klopp than anyone.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2024, 01:18:19 pm »
Not sure what the backroom set up is like now but I would feel better if Michael Edwards and co were all still here so that side of the business was all still in place. Would help a new and maybe less experienced manager.  Feels like with all Klopps team leaving with him it's a completely fresh start.
alf a pound of braeburns!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 27, 2024, 01:18:37 pm »
He's not doing a spectacular job at Barca! :D

Ninja edit unsuccessful.  :(

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2024, 01:19:43 pm »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2024, 01:20:05 pm »
1) Xabi
2) Flick
3) Napoli manager
4) De Zebri

Spaletti left Napoli. He's now Italy's manager.  Walter Mazzarri is now Napoli's coach. They are now languishing in 9th place, 21 points off the top.

Offline Aeon

• Main Stander
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2024, 01:20:14 pm »
1. Zinedine Zidane

2. Xabi Alonso

3. Marco Rose

I have no idea who has the stomach to take over from Klopp, work on a limited budget and overachieve in a corrupt Premier League and PGMOL against the whole Middle East and UK's corrupt elite.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 27, 2024, 01:21:52 pm »
My three choices would be:

1) Xabi Alonso

2) Rúben Amorim

3) Roberto De Zerbi

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 27, 2024, 01:22:54 pm »
1. Zinedine Zidane

2. Xabi Alonso

3. Marco Rose

I have no idea who has the stomach to take over from Klopp, work on a limited budget and overachieve in a corrupt Premier League and PGMOL against the whole Middle East and UK's corrupt elite.

Wouldn't want Zidane anywhere near the club if I'm being honest.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2024, 01:23:19 pm »

Just from this and for any Bundesliga fans, how good a manager, or how good a job is Hoeness doing? Would argue his turnaround of Stuttgart seems just, if not more impressive than Alonso with Leverkusen. They were a Champions League side who then underperformed before Alonso took over midseason. Stuttgart were battling relegation for 2 seasons before this

If Xabi came here he would be working with some elite players so that is a good starting point for him.

He took over Leverkusen when they were in the relegation zone last season you could argue they shouldn’t have been in that position but they were and it takes guys to take that on and calmness to get out of it.

I’m with Jack here as I have said in a few posts all managers are a risk as there isn’t another Klopp out there he is the best in the world so whoever comes in is already worse than him.

It just has to be Xabi as long as he keeps Gerrard away from any roles too !!

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 27, 2024, 01:24:31 pm »
A lot us us do feel our recent success is 100% down to Klopp and FSG got lucky getting him as he won despite their lack of backing. So it will be very interesting to see how they back the next manager.

Klopp literally said this was utter nonsense a day ago.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2024, 01:25:07 pm »
Imo, character-wise, RDZ seems closer to Klopp than anyone.

Be better to have a different character in my opinion.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2024, 01:27:15 pm »
Pochettino? Might want out of the circus and the Spurs team he built was very good.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #226 on: January 27, 2024, 01:28:21 pm »
Just noticed I forgot to mention one of the fella I'm all in on, Simone Inzaghi. Done really well with Lazio and is now doing even better with Inter. Bit sceptical of Italians and Liverpool mixing and I'm not sure he knows the language or anything but looks a solid tactician who's getting the best out of players. Won the Coppa Italia a few times and favourites to win the league this season with a consistent Inter side. Champions League finalist last season with a team nobody saw getting there, keen to see how they fare in it this season, they have Atletico first so him and Simeone an interesting battle. I really like him as a shout, and would have him behind Alonso as things stand.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2024, 01:30:17 pm »
Just noticed I forgot to mention one of the fella I'm all in on, Simone Inzaghi. Done really well with Lazio and is now doing even better with Inter. Bit sceptical of Italians and Liverpool mixing and I'm not sure he knows the language or anything but looks a solid tactician who's getting the best out of players. Won the Coppa Italia a few times and favourites to win the league this season with a consistent Inter side. Champions League finalist last season with a team nobody saw getting there, keen to see how they fare in it this season, they have Atletico first so him and Simeone an interesting battle. I really like him as a shout, and would have him behind Alonso as things stand.

He's doing well but he spent his entire playing career in Italy as well.

His surname is also enough to constantly remind me of 2007.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2024, 01:30:34 pm »

Because that's the type of a person he is, exceptionally humble.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2024, 01:30:36 pm »
Other than the obvious ones mentioned so far...

Of the little I've watched, the one that has impressed the most is Imanol Alguacil of Real Sociedad. The team is balanced, strong defensively but also with an emphasis on possession and attacking. I saw a good balance, a well organised side in the recent league game v Celta.
With the money in football, there'll always be people looking to do a good job and be involved, climb up, it's an impression rather than reality that there are no outstanding candidates.  There are outstanding candidates, if you're good enough to know what to look for, regardless of the trophy count.

Edit: It is seriously impressive for me, when you take a closer look, what Sociedad have been doing for the past 6-7 years. Sustained overperformance.
De Zerbi's sides lack the requisite balance, control, ability to be put under pressure for long periods, he's got to work out his approach better. Mentioned him in the Serie A thread when he was doing interesting things for Sassuolo, know his work well, but he's got some things to iron out still imo.
Alonso looks spectacular what he's doing with Leverkusen but haven't seen full matches to assess properly.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:45:48 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2024, 01:30:43 pm »

If Xabi came here he would be working with some elite players so that is a good starting point for him.

He took over Leverkusen when they were in the relegation zone last season you could argue they shouldn’t have been in that position but they were and it takes guys to take that on and calmness to get out of it.

I’m with Jack here as I have said in a few posts all managers are a risk as there isn’t another Klopp out there he is the best in the world so whoever comes in is already worse than him.

It just has to be Xabi as long as he keeps Gerrard away from any roles too !!

I won’t be surprised if Xabi did come here he’ll bring Carragher back into the club.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 27, 2024, 01:32:24 pm »
I won’t be surprised if Xabi did come here he’ll bring Carragher back into the club.

Good jesus, the thoughts of that.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2024, 01:34:28 pm »
Wouldn't want Zidane anywhere near the club if I'm being honest.

Yeah, the chances are that would be a disaster. I doubt the club would entertain him anyway.

I'm struggling to think of any outstanding candidates as there was in 2015 so I'd be all in on Alonso, if possible. Early days for his managerial career and there's every chance he wouldn't work out but he's doing amazingly well so far, so why not. I think we also shouldn't forget he's been coaching for a good few years before he went to Leverkusen.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2024, 01:34:35 pm »
Pochettino? Might want out of the circus and the Spurs team he built was very good.

No thanks, not for me

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 27, 2024, 01:34:42 pm »
You know when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie?

Well…

Can't believe this didn't get the praise it deserves. Cracked me up
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #235 on: January 27, 2024, 01:34:44 pm »
He's doing well but he spent his entire playing career in Italy as well.

His surname is also enough to constantly remind me of 2007.

Yeah, it's like how the top Italian players never leave. Totally understand the 07 connotation but would be nice to see it amended for the right reasons. Maybe even win us one ...
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 27, 2024, 01:36:09 pm »
What else would Jürgen say?
However, we all saw the CB crisis . We’ve all seen the times we’re were desperate for a signing or two and got rid Italian signings at the last minute.
I’m not getting too much into FSG as this isn’t the thread for for it. Just hope the next manager has sufficient backing otherwise they’re on a hiding to nothing.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2024, 01:36:19 pm »
Yeah, the chances are that would be a disaster. I doubt the club would entertain him anyway.

I'm struggling to think of any outstanding candidates as there was in 2015 so I'd be all in on Alonso, if possible. Early days for his managerial career and there's every chance he wouldn't work out but he's doing amazingly well so far, so why not. I think we also shouldn't forget he's been coaching for a good few years before he went to Leverkusen.

I agree. Him or Amorin for me would be the best choices available. Perhaps De Zerbi as well. Struggling to think of anyone else.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2024, 01:36:20 pm »

If Klopp wasn't happy with the way the club was run he'd have left a long time ago. He said yesterday we done things the right way.

The next manager will also have to do things the right way.

No doubt he'd have won more if we had sportswashers owning the club, but every trophy then would've been worthless.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2024, 01:37:58 pm »
Good jesus, the thoughts of that.

I think they generally have a good repor, they are good at bouncing ideas at each other. I think it’s the 3rd episode of Carra’s podcast, one of the most interesting football podcasts I’ve ever listened to.

And I’m pretty sure Xabi doesn’t look at the internet and read our thoughts on Carragher anyway.

Actually, just checked, it’s actually episode 27.  :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:40:18 pm by Bend It Like Aurelio »