Author Topic: Sportwashing-A general thread  (Read 61892 times)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Re: Sportwashing-A general thread
« Reply #360 on: August 15, 2023, 04:11:35 am »
To me it’s clear as day these 9year contracts Chelsea are handing out are simply about setting up a pipeline of talent to Saudi Arabia.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2023, 06:23:40 am »
Just saw on twitter, a fan gifting a shocked Fabinho a rolex because he had a good game. Its obscene out there.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2023, 06:39:51 am »
Just saw on twitter, a fan gifting a shocked Fabinho a rolex because he had a good game. Its obscene out there.

Think Fabinho was probably more shocked he had a good game.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: August 15, 2023, 07:47:44 am »
Stevie's club posted this. People who live in the Middle East who are LFC supporters are in the crowd for their game. This is what they wanted.

Fucking gimps.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: August 15, 2023, 11:54:46 am »
Just heard a report from Ben Jacobs, who said he's been out there months now, talking about the league in general and a game between Gerrards team and someone else last night. 25k seater stadium, 18k in it. He was trying to make the league sound appealing but it sounded so shit. After the game, Henderson spent a long time walking round the blue track taking selfies and photos with fans. Sounds great out there doesn't it

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: August 15, 2023, 12:22:30 pm »
Just heard a report from Ben Jacobs, who said he's been out there months now, talking about the league in general and a game between Gerrards team and someone else last night. 25k seater stadium, 18k in it. He was trying to make the league sound appealing but it sounded so shit. After the game, Henderson spent a long time walking round the blue track taking selfies and photos with fans. Sounds great out there doesn't it

That's an inflated attendance too as Ronaldo was due to play. Very much a one off (there was some attendance data on another thread)

They usually don't get close to 50% full (and this is in a city of over a million population). Not exactly football mad! (but that's before they've seen Henderson as the number 10 ;D)

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2023, 12:44:32 pm »

https://talksport.com/football/1533452/
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2023, 01:26:19 pm »
Fabinho's reaction was hilarious. A "what the fuck?" look on his face followed by a quick thumbs up then walking away. I'd love to know what the Saudis in that team think of that, and if they have ever been awarded a watch for a good game.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #368 on: August 15, 2023, 02:13:02 pm »
Fabinho's reaction was hilarious. A "what the fuck?" look on his face followed by a quick thumbs up then walking away. I'd love to know what the Saudis in that team think of that, and if they have ever been awarded a watch for a good game.

It's undignified. After his second match Firmino was seen holding a cardboard sign at the directors' entrance - 'Sheik Petrodallah, can I have your Rolex watch please'
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: August 15, 2023, 02:26:00 pm »
Is that Gerrard's wife bottom left?

Ha! ;D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: August 15, 2023, 02:26:38 pm »
Exactly what I predicted when people said no one would watch it, so what does it matter? DAZN and BEIN will test the water, see what the response is (meaning 'how much money will it make?') and regardless of how shit the league is, broadcasting Saudi games will become the norm. That's the whole point, really.

It's also becoming more prominent on betting sites with player prop markets, specials etc being available. It's here for the long haul.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: August 15, 2023, 02:53:29 pm »

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: August 15, 2023, 05:23:15 pm »
Highest paid payers in Saudi league plus Messi and Mbappe.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 05:24:53 pm by Samie »

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #373 on: August 15, 2023, 05:36:45 pm »
The scale of the excess is nauseating. It all feels a bit Marie Antoinette

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #374 on: August 16, 2023, 11:11:21 am »
Coming soon to a major city near you.

The Saudi All-Star League.

Kill the humourless

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: August 16, 2023, 12:13:28 pm »

Yeah, but if Fab has a bad game, the watch self destructs and takes his hand with it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: August 16, 2023, 12:19:53 pm »
Didn't realise Hendo was such a pauper. 2M euros a week for Kante, the fuck? I suppose in a retirement league he might manage more than a game a month.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: August 16, 2023, 12:33:49 pm »
The calibre of players going over there is genuinely depressing. There are some real big names who bring a lot of attention.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #378 on: August 16, 2023, 12:38:25 pm »
Ronaldo must be fuming that Benzema is on the same wage.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: August 16, 2023, 12:46:48 pm »
It's all about the fucking money, innit!

It is pure greed, it must be cos they all ready multi millionaires.

How much is enough for these insufferable bastards?

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2023, 02:38:43 pm »
Laporte is off to Saudi Arabia now. Apparently Arsenal were about to bid, and the lowest risk option is to flog him as far away from the Premier League and Champions League as possible.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #381 on: August 16, 2023, 02:56:32 pm »
Didn't realise Hendo was such a pauper. 2M euros a week for Kante, the fuck? I suppose in a retirement league he might manage more than a game a month.

He'll spend most of the season injured then be fit for whenever they play them c*nts who want to be us

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Kill the humourless

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #383 on: August 17, 2023, 11:16:18 am »
What worries me most is that Saudi Arabia could start a new super league and entice all the top clubs in. They could create their own versions of the Champions League etc and with enough money behind it then it could happen soon.
#JFT97

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #384 on: August 17, 2023, 11:21:21 am »
What worries me most is that Saudi Arabia could start a new super league and entice all the top clubs in. They could create their own versions of the Champions League etc and with enough money behind it then it could happen soon.
Nailed on within 5 years.
R.I.P. football as we once knew it.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: August 17, 2023, 11:58:05 am »

Serves FIFA and UEFA right for turning blind eyes and at least the rest of us can have our league back 👍

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #387 on: August 17, 2023, 12:33:21 pm »
Serves FIFA and UEFA right for turning blind eyes and at least the rest of us can have our league back 👍

Us and the other top clubs would join it unfortunately i bet
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: August 17, 2023, 01:02:10 pm »
When someone said on this thread, that their aim was to part of the  CL or join UEFA I didn't believe it but here we are 😂

https://www.goal.com/en/news/saudi-arabia-champions-league-wild-card-uefa/blt3f9f2cbba89a50e5
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline shook

• not stirred
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: August 17, 2023, 03:33:46 pm »
When someone said on this thread, that their aim was to part of the  CL or join UEFA I didn't believe it but here we are 😂

https://www.goal.com/en/news/saudi-arabia-champions-league-wild-card-uefa/blt3f9f2cbba89a50e5

this may happen, and of course it would further expose FFP as a farce

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #390 on: August 17, 2023, 04:35:07 pm »
In an ideal world that would happen but its not and it won't they will wiggle out of it somehow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66531007

Probably
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: August 17, 2023, 06:39:35 pm »
Szczesny: I have no interest in Saudi football

Wojciech Szczesny says he has no interest of quitting Juventus for Saudi Arabia, saying he has "other priorities than pursuing money".

The 33-year-old has been linked with a move to the Saudi Pro League, but is set to stay in Turin for now.

“I have no shortage of money in my life. I prefer cool challenges, and defending the Juventus goal is the coolest challenge I can give myself,” he said.

“I don’t read much about football, but I know a few players have gone there [Saudi Arabia] and I’m not surprised.

“I understand that someone can make such a decision and it seems quite logical. I believe it is worth having other priorities than pursuing money.”

Is right Chesney.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: August 17, 2023, 08:25:55 pm »
to be honest I'm beginning to view this as the beginning of the end of the abomination that we call the sport of football today. There is no semblance between this and what I grew up following religiously. I've lost all interest in the sport in general and only interested in Liverpool.

I think the mass buyout by the super  wealthy middle east nations such as Saudi Arabia will hopefully weed out alot of  the mercenaries, excess, corruption and power games out of the European leagues and take it over there while the sport will return to what it was in the 80s and 90s over here.

Maybe wishful thinking. Time will tell
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 09:40:34 pm by darragh85 »

Offline HomesickRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2023, 09:33:36 pm »
Nailed on within 5 years.
R.I.P. football as we once knew it.

There was talk a few years ago that the new American influx would lead to 'franchises' being uprooted and playing some 'home' games in different stadia across the world.
They tried to introduce the phrase "Manchester United at Norwich" etc to describe away games.
The relative lack of financial clout of the Americans meant they couldn't see it through. Being fragmented, the owners also lacked an overarching philosophical reason for doing so.
The Middle East oil nations have both the clout, and the reasons. In spades.
Like you, I think football as we know it has ceased to exist following last years World Cup, and what we are seeing is just the start.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #394 on: August 17, 2023, 09:42:11 pm »
There was talk a few years ago that the new American influx would lead to 'franchises' being uprooted and playing some 'home' games in different stadia across the world.
They tried to introduce the phrase "Manchester United at Norwich" etc to describe away games.
The relative lack of financial clout of the Americans meant they couldn't see it through. Being fragmented, the owners also lacked an overarching philosophical reason for doing so.
The Middle East oil nations have both the clout, and the reasons. In spades.
Like you, I think football as we know it has ceased to exist following last years World Cup, and what we are seeing is just the start.
That cut through most European club's seasons fixtures.
Massive joke and the joke was on as usual the match-going supporters of club football.

But Che Neville and Co would disagree with that.   ::)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #395 on: August 17, 2023, 11:34:28 pm »
Szczesny: I have no interest in Saudi football

Wojciech Szczesny says he has no interest of quitting Juventus for Saudi Arabia, saying he has "other priorities than pursuing money".

The 33-year-old has been linked with a move to the Saudi Pro League, but is set to stay in Turin for now.

“I have no shortage of money in my life. I prefer cool challenges, and defending the Juventus goal is the coolest challenge I can give myself,” he said.

“I don’t read much about football, but I know a few players have gone there [Saudi Arabia] and I’m not surprised.

“I understand that someone can make such a decision and it seems quite logical. I believe it is worth having other priorities than pursuing money.”

Is right Chesney.

Feels like he’s the one and only footballer to have come out and said this.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2023, 05:04:30 am »
How much money do you need?
Makes me want to puke.

Offline semit5

• obsessed with faeces
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2023, 07:43:16 am »
The calibre of players going over there is genuinely depressing. There are some real big names who bring a lot of attention.

The vast majority that have gone over have a year or 2 left in them. Neymar’s football career ended when he left Barcelona. Not many decent players with 5 or more years left in them would consider it

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2023, 08:27:42 am »
How much money do you need?
Makes me want to puke.
Not a single person on earth who deserves all that. Saudi need to be ashamed of themselves, a disgusting flaunting of wealth when vital workers in nearby regions are living on minimum wage, and sometimes not even getting paid.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2023, 09:37:59 am »
I wait patiently for the day for football fans to realise that

(a) complaining about sportswashing and bemoaning players for taking Arabian money will do absolutely nothing to arrest the problem

(b) the only way British football is ever going to be pulled out of the sportswashing fire is if fans throughout the country unite to plan an organised & targeted protest

(c) there's a reason this shite isn't permitted to happen in Germany, and that perhaps the solution is right under our noses if we bother to look for it
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.