Author Topic: Moving to Liverpool  (Read 18409 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: Moving to Liverpool
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2023, 09:17:41 pm »
I'm sure Terry has done a gig in the Eggy Ferry back in the day?
Only just spotted this, I have played there a few times, mate.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: April 1, 2023, 07:37:12 am »
My first week so I'm going to experiment a bit, Merseyrail this week, will try Ferry next. Cycling through the docks down to Hamilton Square is a real pleasure. Love seeing the different ships.

Always thought a ferry commute must be ace. You get the best view of Liverpool too.

Wish the would invest in a new boat. Maybe a cool solar powered one. I just remember the old one breaking down loads a few years ago (think there were two, and one brole completely). And every time it is a bit windier, they stop it running too. I'd be so cool if using the ferry was as easy as getting the train.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #122 on: April 8, 2023, 01:42:43 pm »
I'd take a dirigible across the Mersey despite the fairly appalling safety record

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: April 8, 2023, 02:25:39 pm »
I'd take a dirigible across the Mersey despite the fairly appalling safety record
I can feel a song coming.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #124 on: April 8, 2023, 02:34:12 pm »
Speaking of the ferries, the current state of the former Mersey Ferry the Royal Iris, is sad & shocking, rusting away at a berth on the Thames at Woolwich, looks like it's only fit for scrap. >:(
#Sausages

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: April 8, 2023, 03:30:29 pm »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #126 on: April 8, 2023, 04:45:04 pm »
I can feel a song coming.

an incorrigible one?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #127 on: April 8, 2023, 05:00:07 pm »
Speaking of the ferries, the current state of the former Mersey Ferry the Royal Iris, is sad & shocking, rusting away at a berth on the Thames at Woolwich, looks like it's only fit for scrap. >:(
The last time I saw it it had sunk. Sat on the bottom at high tide and full of water. What a terrible waste.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online jack witham

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Moving to Liverpool
« Reply #128 on: April 8, 2023, 05:52:42 pm »
Lots of great memories regarding the Royal Iris, used to have works nights out on it.

River cruise disco and drinking, loads of shenanigans going on on top deck after a few shandies,

One memorable night regarding our crew and a load of ladies from Wigan.

We used to call it the Love boat.

Happy days.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #129 on: May 6, 2023, 09:00:58 pm »
Royal Iris is the current ferry - lovely boat. Is it really the same Royal Iris that was rusting in Woolwich?
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: May 6, 2023, 11:13:03 pm »
Royal Iris is the current ferry - lovely boat. Is it really the same Royal Iris that was rusting in Woolwich?

Think it might be the Royal Daffodil that is rusting somewhere.

I think there are three boats - the Royal Iris, the Royal Daffodil and Snowdrop. They were all three still in use for the capital of culture events in 2008, but one got sold shortly after.

The Iris and the Daffodil names have been used by multiple boats over the last century or so. They gained the "Royal" part because two of the predecessor boats were used as landing ships during the first world war. The current boats were build in 1959 afaik, though they had a couple of refits and new paint (which made on them the "Dazzle ship").
« Last Edit: May 6, 2023, 11:14:43 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #131 on: May 7, 2023, 03:08:22 pm »
No, the original Royal Iris is still sadly partially sunk and rusting into the Thames as we speak.

The current 'Royal Iris of the Mersey' used to be called the MV Mountwood.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 7, 2023, 05:22:49 pm »
No, the original Royal Iris is still sadly partially sunk and rusting into the Thames as we speak.

Yeah, our kid was back up in Feb and posted a pic on FB and like you say, its the old Mountwood. Think we've all ridden on the Mountwood and the Woodchurch at some point in our lives

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 7, 2023, 07:03:28 pm »
Yeah, our kid was back up in Feb and posted a pic on FB and like you say, its the old Mountwood. Think we've all ridden on the Mountwood and the Woodchurch at some point in our lives

I played a few gigs on the boat with a band I was in during the early to mid 80's.
The first time we played on it, our drummer forgot to bring a rug with him to stop his drums from moving and sliding down the deck.
We were halfway through our first song when our drummer who was well behind me and two other band members shot past us to be about 10 feet in front of us.  ;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 7, 2023, 11:06:02 pm »
I played a few gigs on the boat with a band I was in during the early to mid 80's.
The first time we played on it, our drummer forgot to bring a rug with him to stop his drums from moving and sliding down the deck.
We were halfway through our first song when our drummer who was well behind me and two other band members shot past us to be about 10 feet in front of us.  ;D

:lmao

My Ma fell out with one of her brothers over a photo she took of the Beatles on the Royal Iris, cos he robbed it
Jurgen YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #135 on: May 8, 2023, 08:18:50 am »
;D not that it's advisable at any time because fumes and so many people don't pay attention in them!
Been there, tried that, scary as fuck.......!

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 8, 2023, 01:46:09 pm »
Been there, tried that, scary as fuck.......!

My stepdad used to ride through the tunnel in his youth, be the 50's, you'd not get me in there on anything that didn't have an engine in this day and age.

What is fun, if childish, is riding through on the bike, flicking the kill switch off and then back on, makes the bike backfire and it makes a hell of a noise.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 8, 2023, 01:58:10 pm »
:lmao

My Ma fell out with one of her brothers over a photo she took of the Beatles on the Royal Iris, cos he robbed it
;D

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 8, 2023, 04:25:23 pm »

Man that's sad to see, I love those ferries. So much history to them and a lovely way to travel, if a little unreliable and stinky (but then, so am I!).

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 8, 2023, 04:26:11 pm »
Hahahaha! Now *that's* Rock and Roll!

Offline billyliddell01

• Boys Pen
« Reply #140 on: May 8, 2023, 05:28:55 pm »
Keep an eye on the Wirral Waters development on the docks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjZ0cWCkeb-AhVRa8AKHV0wDIgQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wirralwaters.co.uk%2Fmasterplan%2F&usg=AOvVaw0xbhK3NdkAImxwjz016B4C

Lots of housing being built there, don't know what the prices will be though.

Primary schools in Egremont, Liscad and New Brighton are decent.

I'd add The Bow Legged Beagle on Victoria Road (same road as the Bellends) to the New Brighton pub list.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2023, 08:44:50 am »
Keep an eye on the Wirral Waters development on the docks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjZ0cWCkeb-AhVRa8AKHV0wDIgQFnoECBAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wirralwaters.co.uk%2Fmasterplan%2F&usg=AOvVaw0xbhK3NdkAImxwjz016B4C

Lots of housing being built there, don't know what the prices will be though.

Primary schools in Egremont, Liscad and New Brighton are decent.

I'd add The Bow Legged Beagle on Victoria Road (same road as the Bellends) to the New Brighton pub list.
Interesting, thanks. Glad to hear that tower is being redeveloped, it's a really iconic building in need of repair.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #142 on: June 6, 2023, 08:50:31 pm »
Not moving to Liverpool per se, but I've taken a new role in my company that sees me manage the operations of a number of schools in the North with 5 being in Liverpool.

So very happy that I'll be spending more time in Liverpool as I love the city. Not often that I get over, I'm Leeds way.

Anyway, I was driving in today and I drive past Liverpool Innovation Park and saw a humongous derilict building. Can somebody tell me what that building was? What's happening with the site.

"Salahs in here......"

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 6, 2023, 09:10:10 pm »
Not moving to Liverpool per se, but I've taken a new role in my company that sees me manage the operations of a number of schools in the North with 5 being in Liverpool.

So very happy that I'll be spending more time in Liverpool as I love the city. Not often that I get over, I'm Leeds way.

Anyway, I was driving in today and I drive past Liverpool Innovation Park and saw a humongous derilict building. Can somebody tell me what that building was? What's happening with the site.

That's the old Littlewoods Pools building, last I saw its supposed to be getting turned into telly/film studios

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #144 on: June 7, 2023, 06:56:14 am »
That's the old Littlewoods Pools building, last I saw its supposed to be getting turned into telly/film studios

Wow, cheers for that.

I was trying to get a good look at it because it looked like an amazing building but traffic was moving.

I hope they manage to restore a lot of it.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 7, 2023, 07:33:52 am »
https://littlewoodsfilmstudios.com/

Been talked about for a few years now but besides fancy hoardings inc new ones the other week , nothing seems to happen on site . A new warehousing facility  for movies was built on innovation park a year or so ago a few hundred yards away but not much else .

You see a few times a year the car park full of movie trailers , catering etc when there is filming in the city.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: June 7, 2023, 08:20:47 am »
It was all set to be turned into studios and then someone set a fire in there and it's done irreparable damage. Rumours abound it was an insurance job on whoever owned the building but whatever it was, it put those plans on hold indefinitely

Real shame as it's been vacant for years and would have been a real get for the city. So much filming takes place here anyway, to have a massive film studio based here would have seen more and more stuff brought here

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 7, 2023, 09:24:56 am »
It was all set to be turned into studios and then someone set a fire in there and it's done irreparable damage. Rumours abound it was an insurance job on whoever owned the building but whatever it was, it put those plans on hold indefinitely

Real shame as it's been vacant for years and would have been a real get for the city. So much filming takes place here anyway, to have a massive film studio based here would have seen more and more stuff brought here

Its not irreparable, they reckon it can be sorted, remedial works were supposed to have been started in 2022, but its whether its finacially viable or not to redo the whole building

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/developers-give-update-littlewoods-building-23144705
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: June 7, 2023, 09:29:03 am »
Its not irreparable, they reckon it can be sorted, remedial works were supposed to have been started in 2022, but its whether its finacially viable or not to redo the whole building

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/developers-give-update-littlewoods-building-23144705

Missed that, hopefully they can get it sorted. Be a shame for it to either sit there like that forever or to be knocked down and replaced with a new, boring structure

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #149 on: June 7, 2023, 09:53:29 am »
Missed that, hopefully they can get it sorted. Be a shame for it to either sit there like that forever or to be knocked down and replaced with a new, boring structure
That would be a massive shame if it were to be knocked down. As you say, it's a massive opportunity for the city.

With the very rare exception, they don't build buildings like they used to. Restoring it would be amazing.
"Salahs in here......"

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: June 7, 2023, 10:32:01 am »

Agreed, too many iconic building already been lost, the Littlewoods building is a wonderful structure, needs to be preserved if they realistically can.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2023, 04:10:43 pm »
I'm moving to Liverpool at the end of September after over 30 years in London. Am renting a flat for a year or so, then if I like it (I'm sure I will) I'm gonna move permanently. Am massively looking forward to starting the next chapter of my life in England's most vibrant and progressive city.

I want to experience the city properly and do something new every week. So far, my list includes the sculptures at Crosby Beach, Port Sunlight, both cathedrals, the Beatles coach tour, Sefton Park/Lark Lane, a classical gig at the Philharmonic and New Brighton. Plus hopefully get to a few matches too  :).

Would anyone like to recommend anything else, or any websites that are good for finding stuff to do in Liverpool.

Also, are there any pubs where RAW Kopites congregate to watch matches? Would be nice to meet some of you! 

Offline redman1974

• Legacy Fan
  • scottkop105 on twitter My new number 07511165355
« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2023, 05:12:09 pm »
I'm moving to Liverpool at the end of September after over 30 years in London. Am renting a flat for a year or so, then if I like it (I'm sure I will) I'm gonna move permanently. Am massively looking forward to starting the next chapter of my life in England's most vibrant and progressive city.

I want to experience the city properly and do something new every week. So far, my list includes the sculptures at Crosby Beach, Port Sunlight, both cathedrals, the Beatles coach tour, Sefton Park/Lark Lane, a classical gig at the Philharmonic and New Brighton. Plus hopefully get to a few matches too  :).

Would anyone like to recommend anything else, or any websites that are good for finding stuff to do in Liverpool.

Also, are there any pubs where RAW Kopites congregate to watch matches? Would be nice to meet some of you! 

https://www.liverpooltheatres.com/

Good luck with your move

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2023, 05:29:12 pm »

Walker Art Gallery, the Museums, the Albert Dock, the waterfront, go to the top of the St Johns Beacon for the view, do the same at the Anglican Cathedral, Speke Hall
Jurgen YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2023, 06:59:25 pm »
I'm moving to Liverpool at the end of September after over 30 years in London.
Big move at your age mate, any reason why?
Are you bring family / a partner?

A Year is a long time, take it all in your stride, follow the advice above but also in take notice of key annual events as they happen.
https://www.cultureliverpool.co.uk/whats-on/

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2023, 08:53:05 pm »
Are you living in the city centre Mrbenn

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #156 on: September 18, 2023, 02:08:02 pm »

https://www.liverpooltheatres.com/

Good luck with your move

Thanks very much Redman. Will have a proper look through the link when I have time. Wouldn't mind seeing the Boys from the Blackstuff. I loved the TV show and also went to some great gigs at the Royal Court back in the 80s.

Big move at your age mate, any reason why?
Are you bring family / a partner?

A Year is a long time, take it all in your stride, follow the advice above but also in take notice of key annual events as they happen.
https://www.cultureliverpool.co.uk/whats-on/

Thanks John.

I need to reset my life basically. My kids are now adults and have their own lives, my marriage is over, and I have fallen out of London - it's too big and too expensive. I grew up in Shropshire, and went to Liverpool a lot for football, gigs and general days and nights out before I moved to London. Have always loved the place, and now seems like a good time to actually try living there. So will be on my own - I need lots of time and space to reflect and start again. Will still be travelling back to London a couple of times a month for work and to see my kids.

I will have a look at the link and will do what you suggest.

Walker Art Gallery, the Museums, the Albert Dock, the waterfront, go to the top of the St Johns Beacon for the view, do the same at the Anglican Cathedral, Speke Hall

Thanks Rob, yes will definitely add some of those to my list.

Are you living in the city centre Mrbenn

Hi Gazzam, yes I will be.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 18, 2023, 07:38:49 pm »
FACT is on Wood Street and is one of my favourite places in the whole city. It's primarily a cinema run by Picturehouse so shows world/arthouse cinema alongside mainstream films, but it's also an art gallery with plenty of free exhibitions, and has a bar there too. Every time I walk in, even though it's in a busy area of the city surrounded by bars and restaurants I find it such a relaxing place to be in - certainly couldn't think of anywhere better to watch a film, if that's your cup of tea.

Offline Mr Benn please?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 123456789 Benn
« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2023, 11:24:44 am »
FACT is on Wood Street and is one of my favourite places in the whole city. It's primarily a cinema run by Picturehouse so shows world/arthouse cinema alongside mainstream films, but it's also an art gallery with plenty of free exhibitions, and has a bar there too. Every time I walk in, even though it's in a busy area of the city surrounded by bars and restaurants I find it such a relaxing place to be in - certainly couldn't think of anywhere better to watch a film, if that's your cup of tea.

Great shout, watching films is my cup of tea, so will definitely be checking this place out. 

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2023, 05:14:37 pm »
Is the Grafton still going and doing grab a granny nights?
Jurgen YNWA